Persecution

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 3, 2010
Several posts got me thinking about persecution towards Christians. Personally, I have never experienced persecution for my faith, but I do know a lot of people that claim they are being persecuted for that reason. Which makes me wonder, is persecution necessary for true faith in God? Are we supposed to seek it out? Is it okay to act socially odd, receive negative attention and than blame it on our faith?

Medieval Monks and Nuns commonly flagellated themselves as a substitute for persecution - there was even a group of people that toured villages during the plague, beating themselves with whips.

LDS believe they are persecuted, based on their understanding of history.

I've noticed several ideas that are woven through Christianity regarding persecution:

1. Some Christians use persecution to justify acting in an attention seeking and weird manner.

2. Some Christians believe persecution qualifies their faith, and is necessary for sanctification and maturity.

3. Some Christians believe persecution qualifies their witness.

What do you all think about persecution?

Jan 8, 2009
No, persecution is not necessary, good, or something we should seek. It's an attack of the enemy, and although God said we would be persecuted, He did say that we should be happy and blessed to be persecuted. But that doesn't mean we seek it out...as if it's some sort of blessed promise from God to qualify our witness. Those monks were practicing ascetisim and that's not Godly. Although there were occasions where the early church was viciously persecuted, especially those preaching, for the most part they avoided persecution wherever possible, by running away or escaping or by hiding and staying hidden. Unless we're at the end of our life, and we want a crown of martyrdom, only then might we be a little bit more careless about where we go and whome we preach to, like the apostle Paul who ignored the prophet's warning and went anyway. Persecution is not good, it undos the work in ministry already done. In asia thousands of $$ have been spent on churches only to be burnt down by buddhist or hindu radicals. The costs in training missionaries and pastors and the resources put in, only to see it burnt down due to persecution severely affects God's work in the region. Anyone who says persecution is a good thing or has to happen, needs a serious reality check.

Last edited:
M

Mal316

Agree with MahogonySnail. Persecution is not good and is not something we should seek.

G

glenwood74

I am not masochistic, so I do not seek out persecution, but Jesus said that if we belonged to Him and followed Him, that the world would hate us. This question really got me thinking, for I too experience no real persecution for my faith. If the world does not hate us, perhaps we should examine who is actually our Master, and what are we doing to seek out God's will for our lives.

Or, it could just mean that we are all perfect and have reach the pinnacle of our religion.

C

charisenexcelcis

Several posts got me thinking about persecution towards Christians. Personally, I have never experienced persecution for my faith, but I do know a lot of people that claim they are being persecuted for that reason. Which makes me wonder, is persecution necessary for true faith in God? Are we supposed to seek it out? Is it okay to act socially odd, receive negative attention and than blame it on our faith?

Medieval Monks and Nuns commonly flagellated themselves as a substitute for persecution - there was even a group of people that toured villages during the plague, beating themselves with whips.

LDS believe they are persecuted, based on their understanding of history.

I've noticed several ideas that are woven through Christianity regarding persecution:

1. Some Christians use persecution to justify acting in an attention seeking and weird manner.

2. Some Christians believe persecution qualifies their faith, and is necessary for sanctification and maturity.

3. Some Christians believe persecution qualifies their witness.

What do you all think about persecution?
I pray for God to strengthen and bless the persicuted Christians of North Korea, China, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmur, Indonesia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Kyrgyzstan, Tadjikistan, Kazakhistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Yeman, Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Burundi, The Congo, Nigeria, Chad, Niger, Mali, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea, Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Russia, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela. I pray for my brothers and sisters who are harrassed in Western Europe, North America and the Pacific. I pray for those who believe that they will not suffer persicution, that even when the unexpected befalls them, that they will stand fast. I pray for those who are weak and feel persicuted when they are not, that God will strengthen and mature them that they would be able to withstand the assault of the enemy.

D

Demosthenes

My english class read a book called Ender's Game, and our teacher is making us write a persuasive essay on wether killing is justified. I would like to get some opinions from fellow christians. Thanks

C

charisenexcelcis

My english class read a book called Ender's Game, and our teacher is making us write a persuasive essay on wether killing is justified. I would like to get some opinions from fellow christians. Thanks
Ender's Game is one of my favorites. God gives authority only to legitimate government and Himself to kill. He then holds governments accountable for how they use that power. In addition, if a government refuses to stay within the boundaries of responsibility but capriciously and purposefully interferes with the other social estates, it can become a illegitimate government and lose the right to conduct war or to utilize capital punishment.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I am not masochistic, so I do not seek out persecution, but Jesus said that if we belonged to Him and followed Him, that the world would hate us. This question really got me thinking, for I too experience no real persecution for my faith. If the world does not hate us, perhaps we should examine who is actually our Master, and what are we doing to seek out God's will for our lives.

Or, it could just mean that we are all perfect and have reach the pinnacle of our religion.
There is one reason why the world does not hate us. Only one. The world hated Jesus before it hated us. If we are walking in the power of the Holy Spirit, then they will hate us just as they hated Him. Why? Because He walked by the same power of the same Spirit.

Those who are in the world are under the rule of the devil. That is a simple fact. Jesus told the children of Israel that they were of their father the devil. And He was filled with the Spirit of God, so they hated Him. Same for us. If they like us, then the conclusion is obvious.

G

glenwood74

That is all true VW, I was trying to be sarcastic; meaning that as a collective body of believers we should examine why, especially in the USA, we are not persecuted. I don't think we are on the right path as a whole, or there are very few true believers.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
That is all true VW, I was trying to be sarcastic; meaning that as a collective body of believers we should examine why, especially in the USA, we are not persecuted. I don't think we are on the right path as a whole, or there are very few true believers.

Sorry, I seem to have a hard time recognizing sarcasm. Ask snail.

You and I are on the same page about the church in America. Other places too.

Jan 8, 2009
I'd call that irony.. sarcasm ? dont know..

I get it. Good one glenwood.

If Christians are supposed to be persecuted to show they are christians, then perhaps the lack of persecution in america shows america's christianity is false.

But no, the real reason why there's less persecution in america is because america is mostly christian. theres no persecution in heaven either. And if america is close to heaven, then there's your answer.