Pilate after the events of the Gospel

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BXblessings2you

Does anyone know of any accurate information on what happened to Pilate? I was just wondering because he seemed to be stuck in a difficult situation. Technically, he could have chosen to release Jesus but that would have gone against God's plan. Indeed he did not believe and also sinned simply being the handler of the governments punishment. Jesus even tells him that his sin is not the worst, that far more horrible is the one who had him arrested. Pilate seemed to have a respect for Jesus inscribing "King of Jews" whereas the mob wanted him to write that Jesus claimed to be such. So far I've read from Mark through some of Acts; is there any info in Bible about his fate or a trustworthy source to look at (not wikipedia)?

Jan 8, 2009
wikipedia is trustworthy if you follow the links it provides. It can be a good starting point.

B

BXblessings2you

thanks I found one...it seems there isn't much to know

From Bible-History.com:
Scripture gives us no further information concerning Pilate, but Josephus, the Jewish historian records that Pilate, the Roman procurator of Judea succeeded Gratus. According to Josephus (Ant, XVIII, iv, 2) Pilate held office in Judea for 10 years. Afterwards he was removed from office by Vitellius, the legate of Syria, and traveled in haste to Rome to defend himself before Tiberius against certain complaints. Before he reached Rome the Tiberius had died and Gaius (Caligula) was on the throne, AD 36. Josephus adds that Vitellius came in the year 36 AD to Judea to be present at Jerusalem at the time of the Passover. This would indicate that Pilate had already left for Rome.
Josephus (Ant, XVIII, iv, 1, 2) gives an account of what really happened to Pontius Pilate and his removal from office. A religious fanatic arose in Samaria who promised the Samaritans that if they would assemble on Mt. Gerizim, he would show them the sacred vessels which Moses had hidden there. A great multitude of people came to the "sacred mountain" of the Samaritans ready to ascend the mountain, but before they could they were attacked by Pilate's cavalry, and many of them were slaughtered. The Samaritans therefore sent an embassy to Vitellius, the legate of Syria, to accuse Pilate of murdering innocent people. Vitellius, who wanted to maintain friendship with the Jews, removed Pilate from office and appointed Marcellus in his place.
Pilate was ordered to go to Rome and answer the charges made against him before the emperor. Pilate set out for Rome, but, before he could reach it, Tiberius had died.

H

Harley_Angel

I always felt really bad for Pilate. Even though he didn't believe in what Jesus was preaching, he still respected Him. He didn't want to condemn him to death, but he was too afraid for his own life and proffession to do what he felt is right. I think we can all learn from that. A lot of times I didn't want to sin, and I didn't want to deny Christ, and even though I knew doing the right thing was right, I still sinned because I didn't want to be rejected or get in trouble. In a way, a lot of us are like Pilate, good people who love and respect Jesus, but crucify him all the same for our own worldy good. What a tough cookie jar he was in.

Thanks for posting this topic, it's interesting to see what "life after the Bible" was for lots of the characters.

May 4, 2009
So then I'm not the only person that thinks Pilate isn't evil? Actually does anyone know if he got saved later on?

Jan 8, 2009
do we realise that if pilate followed the advice of his wife about not killing Jesus he never would have been crucified. She obviously had her dream come from satan. Pilate did the will of God.

L

lil-rush

do we realise that if pilate followed the advice of his wife about not killing Jesus he never would have been crucified. She obviously had her dream come from satan. Pilate did the will of God.
Why would Satan send a dream to anyone telling them to not let Jesus die? Satan wanted Jesus dead. It would be rather counterproductive for Satan to tell someone that Jesus should not be killed.

H

Harley_Angel

Pilate was trying to save Jesus, and I don't think it was because of Satan, it was because he thought Jesus was a good man and didn't deserve to die. God's will was done, and everything happened for a reason. Not wanting to murder a man who hasn't done anything wrong isn't evil, but it wasn't God's will, so the PEOPLE decided that Jesus had to be crucified, and bound by the laws of the time, Pilate had to sentence Him. Pilate wasn't an evil man, in a way, he was a nuetral man. He washed his hands of it all and let the laws and decision of the people take over.

Jan 8, 2009
ahh..no, did you understand the Gospel lil-rush?

Satan did not want Jesus dead. Satan wanted to prevent Christ going to the cross. Consider the statements of Peter "not so Lord", and Jesus saying "get away from me satan". satan wanted Christ to live a comfortable and happy life on earth. God wanted Christ to go to the cross, so any dreams God gave pilates wife about not harming Christ, are from satan.

H

Harley_Angel

Why would Satan send a dream to anyone telling them to not let Jesus die? Satan wanted Jesus dead. It would be rather counterproductive for Satan to tell someone that Jesus should not be killed.
If Jesus was sacrificed, then we would be saved. Satan REALLY doesnt' want us all to be saved. That's why he tried so hard to tempt Jesus and disrupt him, so the prophecies couldn't be fulfilled. If Jesus hadn't been killed, we wouldn't have been saved, and Satan would have won. As it is, His death was VICTORY overy Satan. While the woman wasn't evil in saying hey, dont' kill this man, I don't think it's a good idea, it went against God's will.

B

BXblessings2you

Was it not Satan who influenced Judas to betray Jesus?????

L

lil-rush

ahh..no, did you understand the Gospel lil-rush?

Satan did not want Jesus dead. Satan wanted to prevent Christ going to the cross. Consider the statements of Peter "not so Lord", and Jesus saying "get away from me satan". satan wanted Christ to live a comfortable and happy life on earth. God wanted Christ to go to the cross, so any dreams God gave pilates wife about not harming Christ, are from satan.
...face/palm

B

BXblessings2you

Also, where does the Bible mention a dream to Pilate's wife? I've read three of the Gospels and didn't see this (over a short amount of time so I might have missed it), so unless it is in Matthew...

H

Harley_Angel

Was it not Satan who influenced Judas to betray Jesus?????
Maybe he wanted him to be caught so he couldn't continue preaching the Word. He wanted to corrupt the heart of a disciple, have Jesus tortured and put in prison where he couldn't preach anymore. However, in Jesus being betrayed and tortured and finally crucified, God's will was done, and the prophecies were fulfilled. Of course, the other arguement could be that it wasn't Satan who caused Judas to betray Jesus, but doesn't the gospel of Judas say that Jesus TOLD him to do it so the prophecy could be fulfilled? I mean, look how guilty Judas felt afterwards, almost like he hadn't wanted to do it.

H

Harley_Angel

Oct 17, 2009
Maybe the other Disciples... understandably did not particularly care for Judas after he betrayed the Lord. It stands to reason they'd think he was all RAH SATAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.