Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. "Get Around, Get Around, I Get Around..."

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everyone,

(Most probably realize this, but the first part of this title is from a movie, and the second half is from a song.)

What is your favorite mode of transportation and why? Feel free to tell us about anything you regularly use, including scooters, bikes (with or without engines), skateboards, and even your own two feet. What is your favorite way to get form here to there?

I was inspired to ask this after reading an article about how to survive long plane flights.

My longest time on a plane was about 24 hours split between two flights. I used to love flying, but now... not as much. For some reason, I've become a lot more sensitive to cramped spaces, screaming passengers (no matter what the age), angry cats (during my last flight, I was a row behind a cat that had been on planes for 20 hours and it was NOT happy, poor little guy), and motion sickness. I also don't sleep much on planes so I usually feel a bit "woozy" the entire time. And of course, we won't even get into all the trouble it can be getting through those security lines!

Buses and trains are ok, but I'd have to say now that my favorite is probably long road trips (preferably in which I'm not the one driving the whole time.) I love watching the scenery go by and by far, I always sleep best in a moving car (I've often said that if I had money, I'd pay someone to drive me around at night.) I absolutely love the kind of road trip in which each day ends in a different town and hotel and you get to eat at some hole-in-the-wall place that's truly one-of-a-kind, because it's the only one there is in existence! I haven't been able to take that kind of trip in a while, but hopefully someday... :)

And, on cold fall mornings (which are just around the corner!), my favorite thing is to get up early and walk. It doesn't really matter where... I just like watching the sun come up over the horizon in the fresh, crisp air.

How about you? How do you like to get from one place to the next, and why?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Re: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. "Get Around, Get Around, I Get Around..."

Bicycles are the most efficient transportation method I have found yet. And I love road trips like what you were talking about, especially the part about hole in the wall diners. The hard part is remembering where they are next time you go that way...

N

nw2u

Blue Highways, by William Least-Heat Moon is all about that kind of travel. It's a great read. Can't find my copy, and I never finished it. I'll have to get another.

M

MissCris

I'm particularly fond of wagon rides. Which only even exist in the fall and winter, and only during specific community events. And that's lame. If I had horses, and a wagon, I would travel that way all the time. And then the police would tell me I can't legally do that down the middle of the highway for thirty miles, and I'd tell them I have the right to the pursuit of happiness just like Will Smith, and then I'd get to travel by cop car.

...that escalated quickly.

I like driving. Or being a passenger. Our mini van is pretty awesome for long trips, and not that bad to sleep in over night.

But my absolute favorite way to travel is on a raft, down a river. Because...peaceful. Except for the rapids that could kill you, I mean. But those are just fun.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009

I'm particularly fond of wagon rides. Which only even exist in the fall and winter, and only during specific community events. And that's lame. If I had horses, and a wagon, I would travel that way all the time. And then the police would tell me I can't legally do that down the middle of the highway for thirty miles, and I'd tell them I have the right to the pursuit of happiness just like Will Smith, and then I'd get to travel by cop car.

...that escalated quickly.

I like driving. Or being a passenger. Our mini van is pretty awesome for long trips, and not that bad to sleep in over night.

But my absolute favorite way to travel is on a raft, down a river. Because...peaceful. Except for the rapids that could kill you, I mean. But those are just fun.
This is awesome, Cristen! I've always wanted to take a horse-drawn sleigh in the snow during Christmastime... Maybe someday!!! I know they have things like that in Chicago.

You also reminded me of how much I really enjoyed canoeing... I only went twice, but would love to go again. As you said, it was so peaceful, and this was in an area with lots of trees.

Of course, somehow managed to fall in the water both times... low-hanging tree branch or something... *Reference to another thread* Can you just imagine how well I'd do in a room with low-hanging SWORDS??? (Sorry, Carol and Violet.)

Um... no. In some ways, I am probably more prone to accidents than a 2-year-old.

W

wwjd_kilden

All? (as long as it doesn't require too much balancing)

Horseback! (Well, it's not something I normally do, but it is my preferred way of travel. Although long distance would probably be a bit painful :p)

Train (I can get up and move about a bit, end enjoy the scenery)

Plane rides are nice if I have a window seat, but it's so much hassle to get to and through the airport :p

I also like walking, either along the sea, in the forest or in the mountains.

61caH2lxlHL._SX300_.jpg

Last edited:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009

Just some random thoughts...

* I am going to have to see if I can find a copy of Blue Highways at the library... Thanks for the suggestion!!

* I have literally lost the ability to ride a bicycle--I haven't been on one since I was probably 14. I was checking out a few models in Walmart last year... and as I tried to test-drive it, I literally had to put my feet down every few seconds to keep from falling over. I would have to learn all over again.

* Horses are beautiful but I'm kind of scared of them... and I know a lot of people who have fallen or been kicked, which does nothing to soothe my fears. I always think of Christopher Reeve...

* For several years I've wanted to try going on a cruise. I went on one as a kid and can remember trying to walk down the hall sideways, because of how much the boat was rocking. I have a feeling it wouldn't mesh well with my motion sickness, but I would still want to try!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

Somebody mentioned long trips in a minivan. I'm okay with that as long as I am the one driving. If I am riding while somebody else drive my stomach gets unhappy. I don't know what it is, but I just never get sick when I'm driving but I get sick when somebody else is.

J

JeniBean

In the arms of Super Man! ;)

L

LiJo

In a time machine ;)

J

JeniBean

In a time machine ;)
Oh with Dr. Who!!!! I am there!!!!

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009

In the arms of Super Man! ;)
*sigh*

Only if it's Christopher Reeve!!!

[video=youtube;iutWOk0cejc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iutWOk0cejc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

Hey Everyone,

(Most probably realize this, but the first part of this title is from a movie, and the second half is from a song.)
Funny movie! Those aren't pillows!!! :D

screen_film.jpg

Aug 2, 2009

[video=youtube;wREBD2og5iY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wREBD2og5iY[/video]

V

VioletReigns

Although I've flown several times, I do NOT enjoy plane trips AT ALL. Boats are alright. And I like trains, road trips in a car, charter buses, bicycling. But most of all, I love walking, running and hiking. :)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

I enjoy flying, especially being forced back in my seat at takeoff and seeing loved ones at the other end. Not so crazy about the long waits and poor food, but as I don't fly often I make the best of it. The legroom is something else, as I'm rather on the tall side, and the headroom can be challenging as I find my seat. The FA's get a chuckle as I bend near-double just to enter the plane from the gangway.

I have a 20-minute commute to work, so car is the mode I use most. I've done Vancouver to (near) Winnipeg in 27 hours... basically straight though. Would do it again with the right companion....

As for non-motorized transport, I enjoy walking, a few miles if I have the time. I walk on water too... but only in months ending in er, ry or ch.

Last edited:
S

Shouryu

SIX forward gears
FIVE thousand RPM shifts
FOUR rev-happy cylinders
THREE pedals
TWO roof latches
ONE long stretch of curvy, twisted, winding road

topless.jpg

Roh_Chris

Jun 15, 2014

I love travelling because, for me, the journey is as important as the destination.

Firstly, I love long-haul flights. Granted, the longest I have travelled is 15-17 hours (4 times, so far), but I love the experience. I find that I am pumped up when I arrive at my destination and the adrenaline rush is so intense that I have to get some work done right away. My love for long-haul flights is ironical because I am not a good flier when it comes to short-haul (3-4 hours' flying time) flights. Maybe it is because of the lower altitude, but I always end up feeling woozy and drained out the moment I land.

Secondly, I love long drives. Some of you know that, last December, I had gone on a 3,700 mi. (6,000 km) drive in 10 days with some of my friends. That will be the best drive I have ever experienced.

I do not prefer trains unless the journey time is less than 5 hours. Any train journey longer than that is a waste of time for me, because it could have been completed with a quick flight giving more time for productive work.

C

cmarieh

I can't help but think of a funny joke in regards to the Beach Boys song and I would be happy to share it, but it would be a little inappropriate for CC. Anyways, back to the question at hand, I live in the middle of nowhere so in order to go anywhere I must drive, which I thoroughly enjoy. However, I have ridden on a train to Seattle and San Francisco and had a wonderful time. Once in San Francisco I rode on a ferry and the city bus. Let's just say about a hundred of us and not including who was already on the bus. We were forced to sit on top of each other and even got some creepy people offering their laps. After that experience I lost any interest in riding in one....and that's my story and I am sticking to it:p