Please explain the differences to me

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Hi guys, I’m just a Christian. Straight up Christian. No chaser 🤣 Believer in God, follower of Jesus Christ. And blessed by the Holy Spirit in my heart.

I was raised Catholic, it messed me up in my early years. I’m 42 now on a better path.

Anyway! I’m honestly asking this question. I don’t know the differences between all the different denominations of Christianity. If you identify as a certain “type” (for lack of a better word, pardon my obvious ignorance),
Would you be so kind as to educate me what your denomination is and why it is? What differentiates it from a straight up Christianity that I am following. I don’t know much about theology or religions or anything like that. I’m hoping to learn some thing here. Thank you in advance

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Hi guys, I’m just a Christian. Straight up Christian. No chaser 🤣 Believer in God, follower of Jesus Christ. And blessed by the Holy Spirit in my heart.

I was raised Catholic, it messed me up in my early years. I’m 42 now on a better path.

Anyway! I’m honestly asking this question. I don’t know the differences between all the different denominations of Christianity. If you identify as a certain “type” (for lack of a better word, pardon my obvious ignorance),
Would you be so kind as to educate me what your denomination is and why it is? What differentiates it from a straight up Christianity that I am following. I don’t know much about theology or religions or anything like that. I’m hoping to learn some thing here. Thank you in advance
People view interpretations of the Bible differently. For example some people think once you are saved, you're always saved and that doesn't change. Others believe the opposite.
Denominations are just a collection of these ideas that fall under a label. There are the Charismatic denominations, for instance, that tend to lean more towards speaking in tongues, faith healing, slain in the spirit, etc... They traditionally are the more modern style churches. Dancing during worship, with a full band playing. Pentecostals are the most commonly known variant. I used to be in this group and was glad to leave it behind. Quite the mess.
Then you have Baptists, and the like that tend toward more conservative ideas on church and worship. You're more prone to see hymnals and traditional songs.

I never bothered to learn the details in theology that split them each. I never cared to. There are the non-denominational Christians as well. Kind of in the middle of the other two groups.

A lot of people bash denominations As a problem, but denominations only exist because people disagree on what truth is. Denomination is just a label, and makes a great scapegoat for people to blame them, rather than accept their own attitude is part of the problem.

And some tend to promote their denomination above all else, including God and the bible. That's when the denomination becomes bad, to me.

And even what is considered a denomination brings debate. For example some believe Catholicism is a Christian denomination, while others do not find it Christian at all.

Factually denominations are man made, a way to distinguish who believes what, but hold no biblical connection. If people agreed on what the bible says on many issues, denominations wouldn't exist.
I think that, in light of people having such differing views on what the bible teaches, they are helpful.

It's basically like political parties, but for churches.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
o_O

Subhumanoidal I've never been to your Pentecostal church, but it doesn't sound anything like our Pentecostal church.

So, about this denomination bashing you mentioned...

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

You are not missing anything. Denominations are a result of people putting pet theology above unity, spiritual pride, selfish ambition and assorted other ills. Often a group is forced out of a particular denomination because they dare to believe something different about a doctrine that has little practical meaning. Should it matter if a person believes pre or post tribulation rapture? What difference does it make? None. No one gets saved or sanctified by believing either doctrine.

Many here think that it is vital to obey God's commandments. So so many will tell you how. Somehow love and unity get overlooked in the rush to promote the Law. I hope you don't get caught up in the net that has trapped so many. I've met baby sprinkling Anglican priests who were full of love and the Holy Spirit. I've also met Pentecostal pastors who are modern day Pharisees. The well known, now departed Derek Prince said that he'd been a Pentecostal long enough to know what legalism is. I am far more in agreement with Pentecostal doctrines than the Anglican teachings. But that does not mean that I find some Pentecostals spreading love and unity. And yes, I speak from experience.

I'm firmly non-denominational, as you probably gathered.

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
People view interpretations of the Bible differently. For example some people think once you are saved, you're always saved and that doesn't change. Others believe the opposite.
Denominations are just a collection of these ideas that fall under a label. There are the Charismatic denominations, for instance, that tend to lean more towards speaking in tongues, faith healing, slain in the spirit, etc... They traditionally are the more modern style churches. Dancing during worship, with a full band playing. Pentecostals are the most commonly known variant. I used to be in this group and was glad to leave it behind. Quite the mess.
Then you have Baptists, and the like that tend toward more conservative ideas on church and worship. You're more prone to see hymnals and traditional songs.

I never bothered to learn the details in theology that split them each. I never cared to. There are the non-denominational Christians as well. Kind of in the middle of the other two groups.

A lot of people bash denominations As a problem, but denominations only exist because people disagree on what truth is. Denomination is just a label, and makes a great scapegoat for people to blame them, rather than accept their own attitude is part of the problem.

And some tend to promote their denomination above all else, including God and the bible. That's when the denomination becomes bad, to me.

And even what is considered a denomination brings debate. For example some believe Catholicism is a Christian denomination, while others do not find it Christian at all.

Factually denominations are man made, a way to distinguish who believes what, but hold no biblical connection. If people agreed on what the bible says on many issues, denominations wouldn't exist.
I think that, in light of people having such differing views on what the bible teaches, they are helpful.

It's basically like political parties, but for churches.
Thank you very much for this well laid out answer. That clearly and concisely explained it to me.
When you look at it from that high-level overview, seems a lot like Satan’s handiwork. Dividing, confusion in order for people to lose track of the truth. Interesting

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
You are not missing anything. Denominations are a result of people putting pet theology above unity, spiritual pride, selfish ambition and assorted other ills. Often a group is forced out of a particular denomination because they dare to believe something different about a doctrine that has little practical meaning. Should it matter if a person believes pre or post tribulation rapture? What difference does it make? None. No one gets saved or sanctified by believing either doctrine.

Many here think that it is vital to obey God's commandments. So so many will tell you how. Somehow love and unity get overlooked in the rush to promote the Law. I hope you don't get caught up in the net that has trapped so many. I've met baby sprinkling Anglican priests who were full of love and the Holy Spirit. I've also met Pentecostal pastors who are modern day Pharisees. The well known, now departed Derek Prince said that he'd been a Pentecostal long enough to know what legalism is. I am far more in agreement with Pentecostal doctrines than the Anglican teachings. But that does not mean that I find some Pentecostals spreading love and unity. And yes, I speak from experience.

I'm firmly non-denominational, as you probably gathered.
Thank you! I am super wary of people who define themselves by a label. Either by religion, sexual orientation, politics etc.
I am follower of Jesus Christ. Point blank.

I wonder why people don’t just read the Bible and ask God, assuming they have a close relationship with Him. To explain the words to them. Recently while I was fasting and praying, I heard the guidance, “just listen to ME. Don’t interpret the Bible through other people. I will guide you.” Hallelujah Lord ✝️💓

Mar 4, 2020

I feel like all of the denominations have something good that the others don't have enough of. I guess the biggest differences in denominations are just their doctrines. I think most of the doctrinal differences just arise from understanding the Bible differently.

First example that comes to mind is the denomination known as the Church of Christ (not to be confused with LDS) who don't claim to be a denomination at all, but rather the real church. There's at least two branches of the Church of Christ , one that uses musical instruments and one that doesn't.

There is not an example in the New Testament of the church gathering together to sing praises to God while using musical instruments. So that's they're justification for not using them. Are they right or wrong? I think that's debatable, but nevertheless, that's their conviction.

That's how it always works. Every church congregation is a little different. I find that most respect core doctrines like the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the deity of Jesus as the Son of God. However, denominations start differing drastically on tertiary doctrines like musical instruments and preaching style.

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
I feel like all of the denominations have something good that the others don't have enough of. I guess the biggest differences in denominations are just their doctrines. I think most of the doctrinal differences just arise from understanding the Bible differently.

First example that comes to mind is the denomination known as the Church of Christ (not to be confused with LDS) who don't claim to be a denomination at all, but rather the real church. There's at least two branches of the Church of Christ , one that uses musical instruments and one that doesn't.

There is not an example in the New Testament of the church gathering together to sing praises to God while using musical instruments. So that's they're justification for not using them. Are they right or wrong? I think that's debatable, but nevertheless, that's their conviction.

That's how it always works. Every church congregation is a little different. I find that most respect core doctrines like the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the deity of Jesus as the Son of God. However, denominations start differing drastically on tertiary doctrines like musical instruments and preaching style.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply! It is appreciated.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

Denomination simply defined as we hold different interpretations on key topics like salvation, mankind's response, the actions of the Holy Spirit, baptism, or communion. Basically, theology but we often can agree on the basics of the faith like Jesus Christ is our Savior. That He died for our sins. That our salvation us through Him and Him alone.

We typically can unite over the plain as day Biblical truths. It is when people step out of that that we divide like lgbt, universalism, or like the prosperity gospel.

It also helps to look at the history of the denomination. Most if not all we're started by key people who had a large lasting impact on the movement.

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
There are also a few well-hidden followers of Christ who identify as Natsarenes or Messianic Jews (Not to be confused with Messianic Judaism). Their acts of faith are quiet, their worship private.

Natsarenes believe in the entire Bible, from Genesis through Revelation and take seriously Jesus claim that He did not come to change one jot or tittle of the Old Testament. They believe Jesus, with his Jewish roots and perfect teaching is the model of Christian faith.

Messianic Jews are not part of any denomination, manmade religion, manmade church, or synagogue that puts people in a box and rules over them. "No man is to have dominion (rulership) over another's faith". Instead, they are servants of Yehoshua the Messiah (Jesus Christ in English) who are dedicated in learning "The Way" (Isaiah 30:21) (Acts 24:14). God (Elohim in Hebrew) did not make a religion, but it was men who made religion to satisfy their own desires. Learning the True Way of God (Elohim) is a long process and it takes years of commitment, diligence and humbleness to learn His way.

Natsarenes do recognize the feasts/festivals of God (Elohim) as commanded in the Old Testament. The feasts of Purim, Pesah (Passover), Feast of the Unleavened Bread, Feast of Weeks or Pentecost, Day of Trumpets, Day of Atonement, Feast of Tabernacles, The last Great Day and Hanukkah are celebrated, usually privately but in urban areas they may occasionally come together for these events.

This information (Messianic Jews - Natsarenes) is not for everybody. You must make the determination of its value in your personal study, diligence and relationship with The Almighty Creator of Heaven and Earth (YHWH - Yehoshua HaMashiach).

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Thank you! I am super wary of people who define themselves by a label. Either by religion, sexual orientation, politics etc.
I am follower of Jesus Christ. Point blank.

I wonder why people don’t just read the Bible and ask God, assuming they have a close relationship with Him. To explain the words to them. Recently while I was fasting and praying, I heard the guidance, “just listen to ME. Don’t interpret the Bible through other people. I will guide you.” Hallelujah Lord ✝️💓
They all claim God has revealed them that which they believe. If you go into the Bible Discussion Forums, BDF, you'll see modern day pharisees. All claiming either God "revealed" things to them, or bragging on their years of study of the Bible, and how it gives them rights to judge others harshly.

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
How did being Catholic mess you up?
My grandmother was a complete hypocrite who preached while abusing. Under the guise of the Catholic Church. I also lived in New England where there was a lot of pedophilia in the church. Thank God I was not a victim of that. But many in my community were. It soured me on religion at the very very early age. I’m so grateful God stuck with me throughout the years. And here I am today, hallelujah