PRAISE AND WORSHIP IN SCRIPTURE!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Twilight

Okay, I would love to hear from you what you have learned that God specifically says in His Word about praise and worship! What do the praise words really mean? What is true worship? How are we to worship - practically and what is the attitude of our heart and mind to be? Why do we worship? Etc., etc.

I will start with Psalm 9:1a - "I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart..."
Woh, He wants all our focus and attention and affection when we praise Him! What would you say He means by "our whole heart"?

And I love what it says in Psalm 150, especially verse 4a - "Praise Him with...[single or group] dance..."
Personally, I believe God would love to see more abandoned, passionate dancing before Him, as David did, in our churches and our homes! I often feel the urge to dance, but have at times held back as to not offend or draw attention to myself, but I know God wants us to say, "and I will be even more undignified than this," and to make lavishing love and worship on Him in whatever way the Spirit may move us our highest desire!

J

Jezreel

It is very funny how people are so quiet and have "dignity" when they are in church. Some are too embarrassed to raise their arms and too ashamed to glorify and lift up their voices in praise to him. It is just not dignified! After church, you can see the same people in front of the televsion or at a sports arena, yelling and shouting and praising their teams at the top of their voice!! If people could put the same amount of passion into the one who died for them, just think of it! The disiples did not bow their heads and neither did Jesus. they lifted up their heads and arms towards heaven. "I would that men pray everywhere lifting up holy hands without wrath and without doubting". Timmothy.
God invented dancing, not the devil. People may have never had the experience of dancing in the spirit and are only used to dancing in the spirit of the world out in bars etc or parties.

T

Twilight

Yey, a woman who loves to dance for the Lord! Is it not one of the most awesome experiences when He takes over and you just feel He's dancing with you?! I want more of this! Please pray for me to tell any inhibition or pride to take a hike. And keep worshiping with all your being.

Oh, I just love this:

"Bless (affectionately, gratefully praise) the Lord, O my soul; and all that is [deepest] within me, bless His holy name!"
(Psalm 103:1, amplified version)

J

Jezreel

I have had the Lord even give me dance steps that spread all over and everybody else in the church started to do that same dance step and pretty soon we were all holding hands and dancing in a big circle on the outside isles going round and round. It was so fun we litterally danced with all our might as were even perspiring!

T

Twilight

That is so awesome! How do you get the boldness? Are you just a naturally bold person or did you have to "do it afraid" at first, as Joyce Meyer would say? You inspire me!

J

Jezreel

I used to be a dancer in the world. I used to belly dance (the dance of the 7 veils) and I also had a dancing partner that we would go into dance contests with so I was used to exploiting myself. When I got saved, I realized that my dancing was ungodly of course. It was not until years later that when I found a group of believers that were not afraid of worshiping God, I was able to do my thing but it was a very different experince that dancing for other people. With playing drums and my rhythm for dancing, the Lord can give you dance steps but it is very godly and not suggestive. That was very different for me. I have legs that are very limber. Anyhow, when my grandchildren come over I entertain them to the point that they laugh their little heads off and are amazed that an old gal like me can move all over the place.

T

Twilight

That's so great! I know that dance is somehow a part of my call, because it rises up so strong in me sometimes. I do let loose to a certain extent in my church. My church is awesome with a very annointed worship ministry, but there is very little "movement" in the congregation and I am new there, so leary of making waves. But I feel that God is taking the worship there to a higher level and maybe someone needs to break through in this area of dance first and we'll see a greater release of the spirit of worship. Maybe I need to take a bold step. Anyway, definitely something to pray about. And all in His timing.

J

Jezreel

I totally understand what you are saying. There can be lots of jealousy and competition in music ministries . If I were you, if the Lord so annoints you on a particular day to dance, do so. Also, it will reveal and may be used to test the spirits if somebody gets upset and annoyed with you for doing what God has called you to do, that is their problem with the sin of pride. You don't have to prove yourself to man. There will be that excuse, "we have to get to know you" maybe they may say. That is because when you are new, they want you to jump through the hoops and play religeious politics to make sure that you are not a threat. "Where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty". As long as you are doing it unto the Lord have fun and joy! It sounds like you may be going to a restoration church? I am very familier with them and their politics. It is very good to get out there and experience and know what is going on so you can understand others and where they are coming from.

T

Twilight

Well, actually, I haven't had any flack from the church I go to. It is more me just being a bit inhibited and imagining things that could happen if I really step out in faith. Truly, the pastor and worship pastor both have awesome hearts after God and would probably be all for it. It's just you don't know where everyone else is on this subject. I think I will just ask the pastor and if I have his blessing, which I believe is important because we are to be submitted to authority, then I will be able to step out in greater confidence. But thanks, J. What you said does encourage me to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.