Prayer ... or Intercession; How are you praying?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lighthousejohn

Prayer is presenting our will to God and asking for His intervention.
Prayer is valid. It is our way of talking to God, but God does not always answer in the affirmative when we pray. David prayed many things that God declined to do and Jesus prayed passionately in the garden prior to His arrest. Prayer is valid.
Intercession, means praying God’s will into reality.
God hears our prayers of intercession when we pray in an open ended way without committing to a particular project or agenda. This is true intercession. When we set aside our wants and pray for God’s wants.

In Christ,
John

Jan 8, 2009
I'm not sure about intercession being about praying God's will into reality, I think that is regular praying, and I don't think that definition is entirely accurate. I think intercession is really standing in the gap for someone or something, in order to bring about a desired outcome. In that respect, it can result in changing God's will.

L

lighthousejohn

I'm not sure about intercession being about praying God's will into reality, I think that is regular praying, and I don't think that definition is entirely accurate. I think intercession is really standing in the gap for someone or something, in order to bring about a desired outcome. In that respect, it can result in changing God's will.
I got the definitions from a dedicated intercessor. I recently went to a conference on intercession and almost all of the people I talked to that have intercession ministries said essentially the same thing; that they were always prompted by God to intercede on behalf of someone or something. They also said that true intercession is unrelenting prayer until they are released from the burden of prayer (their words, not mine). This woman told me that she is often called to prayer for several hours before she feels peace about stopping.

In Christ,
John

Jan 8, 2009
Yet the core meaning is to stand in the gap between God and man. Moses did this when God wanted to destroy the people. That was God's will. Yet Moses convinced God not to destroy them. God changed his mind. If Moses had not done that, God probably would have destroyed them. That is the power of intercessory prayer, not only to pray God's will into reality, but change God's will.

May 21, 2009
We are here on this earth to do Gods will. That is what we were made for. Sadly most prayer is done by selfish self cenetered people only praying for themselves and their own family.
Some have gone way past that and pray for others.
Also we are people so we can get in the way of God. God will answer someones prayers even if its not what he wanted. Lets say a baby is born and is very very sick. God just wants to take the baby home so the baby won't suffer. But the parents are begging and begging God to let the baby live, not saying Gods will be done. So the baby lives. Spends many years in suffering.
There are intersesscors who have been given a gift by God. They can feel others pains, ect. God sends feelings, pictures, visions, dreams what ever to the person and the person prays. You can believe if your feeling some trama in you own body you pray alot more than just somewhat.
We are to pray to have all of Gods gifts. Why would we not? If we are wanting to do his will We are to lay our own lives down for our brothers and sisters just as God did for us.
Satan and the rest of the fallen angels HAVE NOT been thrown out of heaven yet as it says in Revelations. Satan is going before God always asking God for so and sos soul. Some sin they have done has given satan legal right to the person. Anyone can start standing in the gap for that person if it is Gods will. Are you ready to do this? Ask God can you stand for this person so they don't go to hell. Means satan is going to come after you. Means much will be required from you.

L

lighthousejohn

We are here on this earth to do Gods will. That is what we were made for. Sadly most prayer is done by selfish self cenetered people only praying for themselves and their own family.
Some have gone way past that and pray for others.
Also we are people so we can get in the way of God. God will answer someones prayers even if its not what he wanted. Lets say a baby is born and is very very sick. God just wants to take the baby home so the baby won't suffer. But the parents are begging and begging God to let the baby live, not saying Gods will be done. So the baby lives. Spends many years in suffering.
There are intersesscors who have been given a gift by God. They can feel others pains, ect. God sends feelings, pictures, visions, dreams what ever to the person and the person prays. You can believe if your feeling some trama in you own body you pray alot more than just somewhat.
We are to pray to have all of Gods gifts. Why would we not? If we are wanting to do his will We are to lay our own lives down for our brothers and sisters just as God did for us.
Satan and the rest of the fallen angels HAVE NOT been thrown out of heaven yet as it says in Revelations. Satan is going before God always asking God for so and sos soul. Some sin they have done has given satan legal right to the person. Anyone can start standing in the gap for that person if it is Gods will. Are you ready to do this? Ask God can you stand for this person so they don't go to hell. Means satan is going to come after you. Means much will be required from you.
Amen!

These words can only be said by someone who has experienced the call to prayer at 3:00 am for someone that they don't even know. This happens to my wife and to my neighbor. My wife is only just beginning in her call to be an intecessor. She Is tentative in her prayers but she is being as obedient as she can be.

You are absolutley right when you say that the enemy will come after you. Any time we step up to the plate, satan will throw hardballs at our head to push us back (please forgive the sports metaphor). I believe that more believers need to "step up to the plate" in submissive intercessory prayer.

In Christ,
John

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
It is interesting that this is being discussed. My understanding of intercessary prayer has reciently been defined.
It wasnt that I did not pray this way, I just did not know the deffinition of it.
I had once read of a minister that fasted and prayed for a person that was so under the burden of bitterness that they had lost sight of Jesus.
This pastor prepared, fasted and then in prayer took this persons burden on himself in order to free the person and then he prayed it to be removed form himself. I had asked about this in the past and was told it was wrong, that Jesus already suffered for us in this. But scripture speaks to baring each others burdens, also Paul spoke to continueing in Jesus for His works.
The reason I am wanting clarification is that when I was young I prayed ths way, asking God Our Father to place anothers suffering on me that they may be helped. I did this at different times through out my life untill I was told this was wrong. So is this wrong ?
If so then why did God help these people when I submitted to this in prayer?
Or was God Our Father just honoring the heart of a child?
Thankyou for your help in this.
God bless, pickles

May 21, 2009
Hi John
God bless you and your wife. The pun about hardballs in fine. The truth is the attacks of the devil to stop the intercessors is very real. The attacks of the ememy most people don't see do great damage to the physical body. Your wife must ask God to help her put on her armor everyday. This is very important . It is also very important to anoint herself with Holy oil everyday. Not to mention the family should also be doing this. The devil will go after her family believe that.

May 21, 2009
It says to carry their load. You must be very careful. Not everyone can do this. You must talk to God. Everyone is not ready to do this. We can learn. Some just are not made to do this.

W

WWG

Here is an entry from my blog http://awalkoffaith.wordpress.com
I love this quote that pertains to prayer. I listed some questions as well. Thanks for including me in this discussion!
Carrying an Umbrella
February 8, 2010
“Prayer is asking for the rain and faith is carrying the umbrella.”
Anonymous
Questions:
Why is it so important to have faith when you pray?
What Bible verses help you maintain your faith while waiting on the Lord’s timing?

C

calvina

Prayer is presenting our will to God and asking for His intervention.
Prayer is valid. It is our way of talking to God, but God does not always answer in the affirmative when we pray. David prayed many things that God declined to do and Jesus prayed passionately in the garden prior to His arrest. Prayer is valid.
Intercession, means praying God’s will into reality.
God hears our prayers of intercession when we pray in an open ended way without committing to a particular project or agenda. This is true intercession. When we set aside our wants and pray for God’s wants.

In Christ,
John
im not sure about intercession,i remember my cousin's who once shared to me that she felt conviction of praying but she dont have any idea what to pray or whom to pray so she just pray (speak in tongues),then the next day she received news that one of the church member admitted in hosp.

May 21, 2009
The Holy Spirit knows what to pray and with the tongues prayed just what was needed.

S

susi

what does anoint oneself mean? :)

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
I think everyone prays differently, and it depends what you are praying for.

There are prayers of Joy/happiness/praise

there are prayers from deep pain and suffering

and we all pray differently. intercession, is praying for others that something may happen.

One thing we find is that we pray according to HIS will and not are own, this way God' will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Phil