Prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

AmandaMM

Oct 28, 2017
How do you guys know when you're making the right decision? Sometimes I just know, because of what I have read and remembered in the Bible. But sometimes I'm torn, like now, and I hesitate to go either way because I want to hear God, and I know spirits can put thoughts into your head and confuse you. I stay home with my children now, and even when I have worked, I have taken them with me. (Self employed) For 4 months now I have stayed home and done nothing but homeschool them. But 4 months after selling my store, my husband isn't employed yet, and I am concerned. I know I am not to worry, as it is sin, but I also know God gave me a brain to use. I have been offered a job where the starting pay is excellent, and while it won't cover all bills, it's better than nothing. It's a very reputable company, well known as a Christian corporation. I hate to not get my foot in the door! My children are old enough now that most days, I give them their work and they work independently. I am more of an overseer, and I tutor/reteach if they haven't grasped a new concept. New learning doesn't take long when you have 2 students! Anyway, I have been with them 24/7 for the past 6 years. I am feeling guilty either way.(Which I know, is not from God) I have been praying for wisdom in this area. I don't want to enable my husband to continue to keep his head in the sand regarding finances. (He is working, it's just something that we won't see a return on anytime soon, and we are actually getting paid in advance since we are broke. So when we would have seen the return, we will have already used the money)It could be that we must hit rock bottom for him to make changes. But I also know that we are running out of savings and in less than 2 months will not have a penny. I am going there today to discuss pay and see what the schedule will be like. Advice/prayers please!

D

Depleted

I usually know with 20/20 hindsight. Did you really want me to tell you that? lol

Hey, the Big Plan isn't working. Pretty convincing that the Big Plan wasn't God's plan. So go with Plan B. Take the job. (BTW, the Big Plan was still God's plan, but God uses stuff like this to teach us how to do it better in the future... or. In my case, how not to screw it up the same way twice. :eek:)

Usually, I'd recommend working it out with hubby, but looks like you tried and he did nothing. He now owes that job to whoever gave the advance to it. You're offered a job. You're husband didn't say no or yes, so take it. And then you both have to face who takes care of homeschooling and the kids together.

Word of wisdom though: Be warned about "Christian companies." Quite often the "Christian" part means, "I don't have to pay you what you're worth because it's a ministry to the Lord." Don't let them guilt you into being cheap to you. Get paid what you're worth. It's not a ministry. It's a business.

AmandaMM

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for the encouragement and the verse! Got the job!

pam4him

Jan 10, 2017
Based on the current situation, it sounds as if God has provided this job for your family. Your kids seem able to do their work, which is a testament to your good parenting skills. As for your husband, maybe tell him that your going to work will help with the finances but it does not take care of everything. If you take the job, it could take some time for your family to adjust, but it sounds as if that is something they can handle. If the pay and schedule will work, I would say go for it. God speed on your journey.

Feb 22, 2017
Hi Amanda! I read ahead and noticed you got the job! I hope that makes you feel more confident about reaching some goals you have for your family. I don't know all of what you and your husband have talked about, but as long as you are both in perfect agreement in all areas of your family life and marriage, you can be sure that facing your future together as a couple is a lot easier than doing it separately. I think anyone who gets a job to supplement the income can look at it as a blessing from God - as it opens the door to let you feel more confident about yourself. An employer saw your qualifications and wanted you.

Just the fact that said you "hate to not get my foot in the door" makes me think you were already pulled in that direction. You already sensed it would be a good idea.

You also shared your concern - "I don't want to enable my husband to continue to keep his head in the sand regarding finances." I would be interested to hear his version of how he views himself. Is he just as concerned as you are? Or does he hide behind excuses and illogical rationale? I personally feel that is at the heart of where your family will gain your stability - is in his leadership and initiative to oversee every compartment of marriage and family life the way God ordained. Hopefully your husband can take action before he sees "rock bottom" and spare his family the downside of any passive attempts he makes toward gaining employment.

But it's not just the employment that is at stake here - it's more your teamwork as a couple; emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. If you detect that he is shrinking back from any of these areas, perhaps it's time to confront him and remind him he owes you an honest explanation of what is in his heart. Just to talk about it. Just to re-connect as husband and wife. Just to get on the same page. Just to be in total agreement. I pray all that is within your reach, and that your voice and your heart can speak volumes of how much you care.

God is on your side, and there isn't any mountain that cannot be moved. Thank you for letting me share my thoughts.