Preachers and weight

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MoonCresta

Lol this thread.. as if they don't know it already they need someone that LOVES JESUS to remind them huh haha. I was talking to my wife about this and how .. well so many over weight people have the best self confidence I have ever seen. Had a friend in collage (Sue) looking back she was over weight we did so much together.. so close that you could finish each others sentences. I never noticed once she was over weight.. loved her so much. God used her.. she would alway tell me "see those two?" they didn't know each other she would say "there going to get married... WOW it always happened... wow I still remember that.

If we allow something like this get in the way of GOD.. well you will just miss out on God. Over weight or not He uses anyone that says HERE I AM LORD USE ME! Praise GOD GLORY TO JESUS!

You're right!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think if a preacher has a problem (with weight or anything else) they would be seeking help for it like any of us would.

I dont believe that all preachers actually have it all together in every single area of their life. It keeps them humble anyway.

The criteria for a bishop in Timothy is pretty high, basically you have to have the perfect family and not be greedy of filthy lucre it says... though Im not sure just how being overweight might indicate how greedy you are at the table.

if you wanted to be an air hostess or flight attendant you arent allowed to be over a certain weight I know that, but I dont know if there is actually a specified weight you need to be under as a preacher, since you are not travelling on board an aircraft hundreds of miles in the air.

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
Did not mean to offend. I am sure some of you folks do good work. BUT, I have met a couple who thought they were God's gift to mankind and could solve everyone's problems.
I am one that believes that falling on one's face before God in prayer will solve most if not all mental problems.
You condemn what you call unjust judgement, yet you equally make a judgement of a profession started by Christians and still filled with many Christians today based on a few bad apples? hmmmm

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
So many of you who replied seemed to miss the full intent of my post! I was focusing on the sin of GLUTTONY and LACK OF SELF-CONTROL!

WAKE UP PPL!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
So many of you who replied seemed to miss the full intent of my post! I was focusing on the sin of GLUTTONY and LACK OF SELF-CONTROL!

WAKE UP PPL!
Where oh where is the facepalm reaction when I need it?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021

WAKE UP PPL!
The waistlines keep going up and the standards keep going down.

But in all fairness there are a lot of preachers around these days who are trim and fit; but I question the motives of a lot of them. Let's be honest, a lot of men are more focused on their bodies and their looks than some women (Joseph Prince). It's hard to preach a gospel of health and prosperity if you're fat and sloppy.

You can be a glutton though and have no self control even if you're slim and trim. With fat people their gluttony is just more obvious.

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
You get the point, but mix it with another issue: a distorted message... I agree that you can be sharing a false message and not be a glutton, but that is off point.

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
I think if a preacher has a problem (with weight or anything else) they would be seeking help for it like any of us would.

I dont believe that all preachers actually have it all together in every single area of their life. It keeps them humble anyway.

The criteria for a bishop in Timothy is pretty high, basically you have to have the perfect family and not be greedy of filthy lucre it says... though Im not sure just how being overweight might indicate how greedy you are at the table.

if you wanted to be an air hostess or flight attendant you arent allowed to be over a certain weight I know that, but I dont know if there is actually a specified weight you need to be under as a preacher, since you are not travelling on board an aircraft hundreds of miles in the air.
So lacking self-control is not an issue for you with a leader?