Psalms

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 27, 2007
Its ok to post every few weeks or as you are able. I just want you to know that we do wait on this thread and appreciate it. I find when you post less frequent though I wait for the post as opposed to having to take the time (busy life!) to read the post, so perhaps every week or couple weeks is good! Bless your heart. One thing I'm reflecting on right now is the condemnation of sin that we are so gloriously relieved in being covered by Christ in his absolute righteousness. This should not, however, stop us from seeking righteousness as the psalms of the Asaph's did.

T

thefightinglamb

Hopefully, I will catch up on posting by the time I finish my reciting/contemplating...I have been through quite a few good ones lately, I am now on 129!

Psalm 82

God presides in the great assembly,
he gives judgment among the gods,
how long will you defend the unjust
and show partiality when judging the wicked?
Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless,
maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed--
rescue the weak and the needy,
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

These verse strike a deep chord in my soul. I often do try to 'make excuses' for the wicked, instead of defending those I know to be seeking holiness and 'oppressed'. How often do I/we make excuses for the rich man not being generous to the poor because he is 'our friend', but then are NOT willing to defend those who deserve our alliance?

Anytime you befriend someone wicked/seeking evil/living in intentional wickedness, and you shake hands with them...you are on a slippery slope, you are befriending those who are enemies to the Lord, and you have compromised your own loyalty. Not saying you are not to be kind and merciful even to your enemies, but when you start defending their wickedness, you are accepting a bribe, and compromising your integrity, and on a very slippery slope...

All the while, the righteous are going without your support.

(Note I take gods in this verse as meaning those made in God's image...as that seems to be the importance of the word...and also how Jesus defended himself with these words in the gospel)

Another thought, I know the tension in the verse in the New Testament letter that warns that the blood of those for whom the rich have withheld their just wages cries out to God for justice, and I would dread to fall on the side of those who must have justice done, even like the rich man and Lazarus.

They know nothing, they understand nothing--
they walk about in darkness, all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

I know of no better discription of sinners, who though made to be in God's image and the foundation of this world through Jesus being in their hearts, instead destroy and work havok every where they go in this world.

I said, "You are gods,
you are all sons of the Most High."
But you will die like mere man,
you will fall like every other ruler.

Man, made to live with God, now thrown to the dust for the death he has birthed in his own heart through sin.

Arise, O Lord, judge the earth,
for all the nations are your inheritance.

Another prophecy of Christ, arising to give judgment to all nations and not just the Israelites...

Last edited:
T

thefightinglamb

I'm sorry I did not do these exactly how I proposed; aka a psalm a day posted...I did do a psalm a day and finished about a month ago...

Will try to go through this last half again, and also remember what I contemplated...

Psalm 83

O God, do not keep silent,
be not quite, O God, be not still.

How often in our lives does it feel like we are alone, like the footprints in the sand poem? But that poem does not even come close to portraying the feelings experienced by someone who knows God and feels God has somehow been quite while _________ (whatever) happened. It requires trust and prayer, and knowing that while God may seeming delay to prayer, He will be quick to save his chosen ones for the 'destiny' that is their's.

With cunning they conspire against your people,
they plot against those you cherish.

We must know that the Lord cheerishes us in order to know that he cares, and will not let those who devise wicked schemes to succeed. We need not fear their traps.

Come, they say, let us destroy them as a nation,
that the name of Israel may be remembered no more.

The wicked strive to silence the praise of the one true God.

With one mind they plot together,
they form an alliance against you.

It is a shame that often 'wicked' people can draw together to do wickedness with one mind, whereas often the church will struggle to come to one mind on anything.

Cover their [the wicked's] faces with shame,
so that men will seek your name, O Lord.

When the righteous God silences the arrogant taunts of the wicked, then all people recognize the power and majesty in the one true God...and stand awed.

Let them know that you--whose name is the Lord,
that you alone, are the Most High over all the earth.

The Lord has authority over everything that happens; it is because the wicked forget/deny this that they continue in their wicked course...but when God shows his dominion over everything, then there is no doubt or denying the power of Him who does according to His will.

May 21, 2009
There's a difference between saying "I screwed up, I'm human, we all sin" and persisting in sin. I don't think anyone is saying it's okay to persist in wrongdoing, but that as humans we are naturally going to do things that aren't so good sometimes, even if we have trusted in God.

I didn't feel it was finding fault at all. I thought the person was trying to help explain and I liked it.

I love the Ps. Just reading them and thinking of any problem I may have and reading the Ps and seeing how Gods word says he's chopping the problems to pieces. And thats just what he is doing.

T

thefightinglamb

Psalm 84

(Should be a favorite of many as there is an awesome Christian song that is almost verbatim to much of this...but here the true continuation...)

When I was memorizing this, a year and a month ago about, I obviously thought it was the song exactly, but then the verses the song omits are actually some of the great verses in the Psalm...

How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty!
My soul longs, and even faints
for the courts of the Lord.
My heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.

How the psalmest pours out his soul, pining for God's justice, knowing that where God decides what is right and wrong is where the soul finds rest.

Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young,
a place near your altar, O Lord Almighty-my King and my God.

I love this analagy. Imagine sinners like sparrows and swallows unable to find true peace but always easily startled and fluttering about with anxious minds, finally coming to find there place of safety far from the enemy's arrows.

Blessed are those who dwell in your house,
they are ever praising you. --Selah

Blessed is the heart who dwells in the Lord's house, and never has desire to be fevorishly attacked by the whimsical desires of worldly pleasures!

Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
who have set their hearts on pilgrimage:
as they pass through the valley of Baca,
they make it a place of springs,
the autumn rains also cover it with pools.

I am pondering this last verse to try to unravel the meaning of the whole verse sequence...hmmm...I kind of see the 2nd two lines as being clarification of the first two, as in those who place their strength in God do not look to this world for strength, and free from the anxiety of looking for safety/sustenance here, they turn this dry land into 'a place of springs' or a life giving land, and this last verse what can it mean? The autumn rains are known to give some crops the strength to finish their growth, so perhaps it is saying that this world actual serves to grow those who put trust in God into life-giving reservoirs, fully develeoped, not lacking anything...

They go from strength to strength
till each appears before God in Zion.

This suggests my above clarification...that they continue from strength to strength until they are taken from this world.

Hear my prayer, O Lord God Almighty;
listen to me, O God of Jacob,
look upon our shield, O God,
look with favor on your annointed one.

An interesting insert into the course of this psalm. An urgent plea that the Lord of Hosts listen to his prayer, not because of himself but because of his shield, Jesus.

Better is one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere.

I think of the anxiety I have had as a youth of going before a judge for certain speeding tickets. Just to help remind people that the psalmest is requesting to be thrown before the judge than be outside the courtroom, playing or sunbathing or whatever. But the psalmest says, this world and everyone in it can be whatever they want, but as for me and my heart, our soul desire is for your justice and your mercy, your clensing and your forgiving. And if found guilty in that court, than nowhere else will satisfy, so I'll sit here and listen and pray...

I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God,
than dwell in the tents of the wicked.

A continuation of the last thought, even if the psalmest is unable to enter the house of his God, he would rather stand there and open the door so that others can come in to see God--than be accepted into the house of the wicked.

Perhaps, to use other psalm lingo, he is saying even if the Lord hides his face from me, I would rather stand here unable to see him, yet seeking him, then become lost in the pleasures of this world.

For the Lord God is a sun and shield,
the Lord bestows favor and honor,

A sun--He gives light, and shows the way.
A shield--protects from darkness and being led astray.

no good thing does he withhold
from those whose walk is blameless.

The basis of faith that there is NOTHING GOOD FOR YOU that the ALMIGHTLY, ALL-Knowing God would not give to you, on just that one premise that your wals is blameless--meaning that you actually desire and seek only what is good.

O Lord Almighty,
Blessed is the man who trusts in you.

Another personal confession post, I have problems with trusting God in my life a lot of the time.
I don't know how to spread the world to a lot of people that seem to think of Jesus like a character in a movie or book. It bewilders me.
I know what it means to have faith in God, and yet I find myself struggling with how to deal with myself and others sometimes.
And yet, none of this matters, but that I turn it over to God and trust that He is Almighty and KNOWS and I am not almight and I usually do not know what is going on...

T

thefightinglamb

Three years ago I thought I could memorize the psalms in 150 days (only 2/3rds done about)...and then I started this thread because I wanted serious, devout study of scripture and I get not far before I start slacking. So, I'm sorry. Forgive me. It is very discouraging when you try and post and it says error and you have to try and remember everything God wanted you to say all over again. This has happened several times. I also had to rememorize quite a few...

Psalm 85

I will listen to what God the Lord will say:
He promises peace to his people, his saints;
but let them not return to folly.

This verse struck me strongest when I memorized it I believe...and it still does. We are called to listen to the Lord...so much is spiritually gained by not music or speaking or even praying with the lips or with words in the mind, but just by listening. I am reminded of Ecclesiastes where it says better is it to draw near to hear then the sacrifice of fools (perhaps this is somewhere else in the Bible but its in there some where). There is a conflict in my heart over listening and speaking in tongues. I understand the explanations people give for speaking in tongues, just don't understand how more wisdom and helpful advice could be heard by simply listening (perhaps in silence, its hard to hear when two people are speaking) than by 'speaking in tongues'. Not saying i do not believe in it, just I don't do it right now, and God willing perhaps someday I will, but the reasons people give for it seems pretty strange at times...

The second thing in these two verses is how all Christians both OSAS and those who believe in perserverance should agree that Christians are NOT to return to folly. Perhaps returning means they weren't ever saved, perhaps it means they were saved and then walked away from God...but despite the difference we can agree that the Lord COMMANDS us to turn from folly.

Love and faithfulness meet each other,
righteousness and peace kiss each other.
Faithfulness springs forth from the earth,
and righteousness looks down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed give what is good
and our land will yield its harvest.
Righteousness goes before him,
and prepares the way for his steps.

This is how this psalm ends. It is interesting the relationships it shows between faith and God. As it is hard to describe spiritual truths with words; I think these analogies serve to give a clear picture to the heart even if the mind cannot grasp what is said. I feel fed reading this.

You showed favor to you land, O Lord,
you restored the fortunes of Jacob.

God's favor is the sweetner all of us need in order to both see Him and follow him...and ohhh, that our fortunes would be restored through Jesus Christ.

You forgave the iniquity of your people
and covered all their sins.
You set aside all your wrath,
and turned from your fierce anger.
Restore us again, O God Our Savior,
and put away your displeasure among us.
Will you be angry with us forever?
Will you prolong your anger throughout all generations?

An honest plea that the Lord would hear the prayer of the sinner or of the sinful nation.

Show us your unfailing love, O Lord,
and grant us your salvation.

The conclusion of the prayer. I love both the simplicity and authenticity.

C

charisenexcelcis

"Has the LORD as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams."
I Samuel 15:22