Punishment?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

radical_christian

How are we punished for our sins?

When God says that he will not hold our sins against us, does that mean that He will make believe it never happened?

C

cornerstone

Often, we receive, in this lifetime, the consequence of our sinful choices. God said he will remember them no more, that they are buried in the sea. Note in revelation, in the new earth there is no sea. That only tells us that God remembers them no more. He also said that all things will become new, old things have passed away behold I make all things new. ..so

W

wwjd_kilden

the penalty for sin is death... the bible says so... but Jesus offered us another choice.

and I think most sins tend to "auto- punish" us, as they don't really do us any good.

R

rcshaw

I believe the Bible teaches that if you are saved (a child of God), born again, born of the seed of God, etc., God will chasten or discipline you if you sin and fail to repent. Hebrews 12:3-11 clearly states that chastening comes from the Father to disobedient children. This is dependent on whether or not you are truly saved, truly born again. The purpose of chastening, as all discipline, is to change behavior. If you are truly saved and you get involved in a sinful livestyle and fail to repent, then it is God's obligation, His promise, to try through chastening to change your behavior so that you will be brought back into His will. 1 John 5:16-17 even describes a "sin unto death" for a Christian who refuses to repent and turn back to their Heavenly Father. This is not a popular belief and I consider it "strong meat doctrine", but I believe the Bible and I an convinced that it is true. The key here is to determine whether you are truly saved.

R

radical_christian

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your answers very much.:)

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Ya when a saved person falls into sin, God has truth mixed with grace in treating that sin. His truth.. this sin is hurting God, and there are consequences that the saved person is going to have to go through.. but God has forgiven their sin in advance by His payment for them.. His sacrifice for them on the cross.

So... they will be disciplined and rebuked.. but this is undergirded by a commitment from God to stay with us through thick and thin.

Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

This is perfect parenting :)

Now.. if you get a local church family being generally unfaithful.. the Holy Spirit will then start rebuking and discipling the whole assembly through convicting the leadership of that church and the congregation. If they continue in going off beam.. the Holy Spirit can remove His presence as the Comforter from that church.. and it no longer stays as one of His own assemblies.

Rev 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

To one of the churches:

Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

So.. the Holy Spirit can remove His authority from a church family to be one of His own -
they don't lose salvation.. but can lose authority due to unfaithfulness.

Again.. grace and truth mixed.. the unfaithfulness not leading to the consequence of being cast into hell, but a church family losing their authority to be one of His.

Status
Not open for further replies.