Question about fasting...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2009
Okay, so I went to my friend’s church today since he was getting baptized today. Anyway, after the people were getting baptized (It wasn't just him.) they made us watch a video about the benefits of fasting. You know stuff like getting closer to God, get some questions answered and stuff.
I've been on a couple fasts before, but it's like they never had an effect where I got closer to God or anything. Was it because I wasn't fast fasting from the right thing(Heavy Metal), Or did it just have something do with I wasn't asking God for help to help me not listen to heavy metal those 2 times I went on a fast? So I how do I need to do a fast where things work right where I can get closer to God.

B

BlackDove

I think what's really important about fasting is what we do with our time while we're fasting. I've done many fasts where I'd basically just not eat for a whole day, but I'd only spend like a few moments in prayer and then spend the majority of the time playing video games. In short, I didn't treat that time very differently than I treat most other times! Needless to say, I didn't get that much out of them. I'd say the whole concept behind fasting is to 1) deny the physical to become more aware of the spiritual, and 2) to sanctify time (that is, set it apart) for prayer and worship.

So basically, I would recommend if you fast or something, go out for a nice long "prayer-walk" all day at the park or out in nature, blast some worship music in your headphones (or enjoy the silence), and just get away from everyday life and immerse yourself in God first and foremost.

Hope that helps buddy. : )

G

greatkraw

Okay, so I went to my friend’s church today since he was getting baptized today. Anyway, after the people were getting baptized (It wasn't just him.) they made us watch a video about the benefits of fasting. You know stuff like getting closer to God, get some questions answered and stuff.
I've been on a couple fasts before, but it's like they never had an effect where I got closer to God or anything. Was it because I wasn't fast fasting from the right thing(Heavy Metal), Or did it just have something do with I wasn't asking God for help to help me not listen to heavy metal those 2 times I went on a fast? So I how do I need to do a fast where things work right where I can get closer to God.
you still got this idea that if you press the RIGHT BUTTONS God's just gonna give you stuff

cannot you see that is WRONG???????????????????

"you have not because you ask not"

"and when you do ask you ask with the wrong motives"

<< James 4 >>
King James Bible 1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? 2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. 3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. 4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. 5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? 6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. 9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Jan 8, 2009
umm...how is desiring to get closer to God a 'worldly lust'?

Oct 1, 2009
Isa 58:5 Is such the fast that I choose, a day for a person to humble himself? Is it to bow down his head like a reed, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? Will you call this a fast, and a day acceptable to the LORD?
Isa 58:6 "Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?
Isa 58:8 Then shall your light break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up speedily; your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.

A "fast" is not to afflict yourself. Rather, fasting is an embracing of truth and righteousness.

Another thing on fasting, I remember watching a preacher give this example. Lets say he's been planning for years to go on an elk hunt. When it's just days away he's counting them, he's been waiting on this for years and he's so excited. Finally, the big day comes. Just as he's about to leave his son falls to the floor screaming, "my head! my head!". All of a sudden all thoughts of the elk hunt vanish. The only thing on the father's mind is the welfare of his son. Fasting is the same way, where you are so overwhelmed with desiring God that you can't even think about food. That is the proper way to fast.

It does you no good to "deny" yourself, the whole time thinking, man I wish this was over... If you're gonna do that then don't bother fasting. You don't gain any benefit, nor pleasure from God. The only "benefit" is the one mentioned in Colossians...
Col 2:21 "Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch"
Col 2:22 (referring to things that all perish as they are used)--according to human precepts and teachings?
Col 2:23 These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.

Dec 19, 2009
I’ve never heard of fasting from heavy metal. I’ve only heard of fasting from food. As for fasting from food, I get very sick if I don’t get enough to eat. Apparently I have low blood sugar, or something.

As for heavy metal, I turned off my radio back in 1975. I do sing in the church choir and play my acoustic guitar in church, every once in while.

Do you ever listen to Christian music?

C

charisenexcelcis

I’ve never heard of fasting from heavy metal. I’ve only heard of fasting from food. As for fasting from food, I get very sick if I don’t get enough to eat. Apparently I have low blood sugar, or something.

As for heavy metal, I turned off my radio back in 1975. I do sing in the church choir and play my acoustic guitar in church, every once in while.

While fasting is normally from food, it can be from other things. One such allusion is to fasting from marital relations for a time for spiritual purposes.

May 4, 2009
I&#8217;ve never heard of fasting from heavy metal. I&#8217;ve only heard of fasting from food. As for fasting from food, I get very sick if I don&#8217;t get enough to eat. Apparently I have low blood sugar, or something.

Fasting from heavy metal is allowed. But yeah, I mostly listen to Christian music at chruch. For some reason I don't like Christan Heavy Metal as much as I like secular hevey metal so I don't really to much Christian music at home. I don't know maybe it because God finds me more useful listening to normal metal. I do tend to end up praying for the bands I listen too that they'll get saved. Not everytime, but still do it.

btw greatkraw, I do want to get closer to God. Though I yeah, I kinda do want answers as far how long it'll be to till I find a girlfriend. But I'm still planning on doing it get closer to God too.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2009
Fasting from heavy metal is allowed. But yeah, I mostly listen to Christian music at chruch. For some reason I don't like Christan Heavy Metal as much as I like secular hevey metal so I don't really to much Christian music at home. I don't know maybe it because God finds me more useful listening to normal metal. I do tend to end up praying for the bands I listen too that they'll get saved. Not everytime, but still do it.
I don’t know much about heavy metal, but my impression is that, in some cases, its lyrics encourage people to disobey the commandments of the Lord. I hope heavy metal isn’t influencing you in an adverse way.

May 21, 2009
Hi dothackzero
fasting isn't instant. you don't get a instant feeling of getting closer to God. It doesn't mean you will instantly get a girlfriend. takes time like all the rest. Just give it time. Fasting is giving something up. Jesus gave up his life. It is a sacrifice. Hang in there and learn to be patient.
And its fine to want something. Its all about break through. But its Gods timing not your timing.
Your not ready yet or you'd just walk up to some young lady and say hi and make the moves on her.
Take a deep breath and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.