Question for some of the stronger Christians.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

easygoing

Just wanted to drop in here and say keep playing the games if it is someting you enjoy, as long as your not camping out in the basements for 12 hours at a time and have a pyramid of mt. dew cans stacked up in the corner to keep you energized. All the advice i have read throughout this post is pretty much right on so i am not gonna be too repetitious here other than to say make sure that you give god his share of time as well and spend some time in the word everyday. I am a mmo, rpg, shooter, etc etc player and god is the focus of my life and i wouldn't have it any other way. games are just that. games. A source of entertainment. If you are a designer then why not try a bible themed game, name it something elusive so buyers wouldn't shun it. like "word of the thunders" or "the 2 edged sword" you get my drift. could include some good gameplay with a lesson to be taught in the story, after all, a good rpg always has a good story!

May 4, 2009
Actually I was thinking more of a action/japanese styled rpg. While keeping it a Christian based story with out making it too obvious that's it Christian. To hopefully get the Atheists interested in Christiananity. But still keeping the fun thing in RPGs.

Jan 8, 2009
Merely giving up things won't make anything a stronger Christian, unless they also spend a proportionate amount of time they save in spiritual activities such as prayer and studying the bible. And yes eventually you will find the other things are not as fun as spiritual activities.

A

alaska_mom

Hello,
I can only tell you what God has done personally in my life.....He has gently taken things away in my life in such a way that it wasn't forced...I was willing to lay it down for my LORD and Savior, because He willed it. It wasn't a loud booming voice that told me, either....it was the still small voice you hear (The Shepherd's voice).

I gave up smoking long ago when I became pregnant with my first child. I had some stressful times after he was born and took it back up again for a little while. Then I quit again (with my own will-power). Over the years, smoking still has been a temptation. When I got especially angry, I decided I would take up smoking again....after 10 years without it! Since God loved me so much, He told me,"Yeah, you can smoke if you want...but it is a step in the wrong direction and farther away from Me." I was on my way to the store to buy my first pack when God told me that!!!!!! Needless to say, I decided to stay next to God and listen to Him. :D All glory goes to God for that!

The next one, I still am unable to answer WHY God didn't want me to have it, but I listened anyway. God told me to give up listening to "secular" music. So I got rid of all my CD's and bought all Christian music and started listening to Christian radio stations. My husband and I fight about it all the time because he gets tired of listening to the Christian radio constantly instead of his well-liked "other" stations. So, you see, my husband is Christian as well, and God has not spoken to him about giving up secular music. I guess God knows what has a "pull" on us and what doesn't...and what could possibly pull us in the wrong direction. He loves us so much that He doesn't want to just let us be led astray. He will come with that still, small voice and gently let us know when we are going astray.

So we have to listen up!

Also, a funny one (not to God).....my grandma was told by God not to even eat in a restaurant where alcoholic beverages are being served! As far as I know, my grandma has never had a problem with alcohol, but God knows that it's not right for HER! God has never told me or my husband not to eat in a restaurant that serves alcohol....GOD KNOWS WHAT'S BEST FOR EACH OF US! :)

It was a little long winded, but I hope this helps!

God bless you in Jesus name!
~Melissa~

C

carpetmanswife

agreed givin up 'things' doesnt necessarily make us stronger christians..but obedience certainly may..seems to me God may dealing with you about certain things and you just need to listen and obey, try not to over evaluate things, if God says dont...then dont , usually we dont need to ask other people if we need to stop doing certain things , many times when we consult others about 'is it wrong'?? we usually want someone to tell us its not . If God says its not the thing for you to do then there is certainly a reason for it :)

S

Stephanie

I gave up certain movies and certain music. I gave up drinking and being places where people were drunk. I gave up certain books. I gave up swearing. I gave up certain friends.

All the things I gave up were to make myself a more pure sacrifice to God. I didn't give them up to spend more time in the word, I gave them up because i felt convicted by them and overtime I didn't even miss them.

C

carpetmanswife

I gave up certain movies and certain music. I gave up drinking and being places where people were drunk. I gave up certain books. I gave up swearing. I gave up certain friends.

All the things I gave up were to make myself a more pure sacrifice to God. I didn't give them up to spend more time in the word, I gave them up because i felt convicted by them and overtime I didn't even miss them.
Now thats what im talkin about

T

Tegelik

I like violent computer games. I played one called "The Punisher", which is extremely violent, bloody and gory. At some point I had an uneasy feeling and couldn't carry on. Was that just a random ridiculous feeling or guidance from God? I haven't played other computer games since then either, such as Doom 3 or F.E.A.R. I still watch all sorts of violent movies with no problem and I play games on my PS2, which are all like rated T, so no extreme violence. How can I trust any "feelings" or know where they come from?

May 4, 2009
I like violent computer games. I played one called "The Punisher", which is extremely violent, bloody and gory. At some point I had an uneasy feeling and couldn't carry on. Was that just a random ridiculous feeling or guidance from God? I haven't played other computer games since then either, such as Doom 3 or F.E.A.R. I still watch all sorts of violent movies with no problem and I play games on my PS2, which are all like rated T, so no extreme violence. How can I trust any "feelings" or know where they come from?
I'm still trying to figure that out myself...

May 21, 2009
The fact that you are questioning the games is because the Holy Spirit has been talking to you about them and you are fighting him.

H

HebrewsTwelve18-24

[/FONT]
Ok..this is the deal. WHEN you ask Jesus do to His will in your life and to fill you with His desires, it's not so much that you have to give anything up. He will not force you to change your ways. What He will do is to, upon your request for He will not violate your will, is to fill you with HIS desires FOR YOU. You will lose desire for some things and gain new passions. But you will not, for even a minute, regret it or feel like you've sacrificed because the things that He replaces it with are SO much cooler!! That is not to say that at some point, down the road, He won't ASK you to sacrifice some particular thing…but He will ask you and the choice will be yours. Just remember….when we do things His way, WE GET BLESSINGS beyond all that we can ask or think.[/SIZE]
Maggie
Amen Amen!! Amen! :cool:

Once a friend told me to hold everything up to the Lord on an open palm and submit it before Him ... Not within closed fist. As MaggieMye said He will Not violate your will. This is one of the most wonderful things about Our Living Lord. We have free will and we can choose to submit all to Him ... or to ignore Him. If we truly desire to know Him and to be moulded into His likeness then we will do His will. The Holy Spirit helps us and guides us and empowers us to turn away from the things that hinder our walk with Him.

When we come to the Lord He does not require our house to be swept clean before he comes into our lives, he meets us where we are and moulds us into His likeness. Some things he will change straight away, some things take a longer. Some things he continues to let us do and others He will draw us away from. When I look back I see that without realizing it I no longer do many of the things I once enjoyed and in some cases, don't even remember giving them up! :)

All I will say is that if you pray and ask the Lord to help you in your walk, (are willing to submit all to Him) to guide you and change you and mould you into His likeness then He will do it! He will help you! Please do not feel condemnation because you enjoy these things ... if you ask the Lord to help you and are willing to surrender all then He will show you what to do... and he will bless you in the process! What may be ok for one believer to do may not be for another. It depends on many things.... but He who knows the plans He has for us, He who knows our hearts ...HE will help you. :)

I pray that the lord will guide you,strengthen you and help you... that you will be moulded into His likeness day by day. God Bless you as you grow IN HIM. <><

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.