Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 6, 2017
that is medical issue not a Biblical question nor , is it edifying. Those who are sick need a a physician which means go see the Doctor. maybe a marriage counselor .
As such, I deleted my reply to the poster to comply with your directive.

woman63

Nov 6, 2017
removed inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator:

CS1

May 23, 2012
What if your spouse is not capable of having sex; my husband is impotent; cant get an erection. Would be a sin if I took care of myself, with myself, by myself ( so as to be clear)
I think this is not part of the topic My response was to this post

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
no i wouldnt....since im not getting it at home., not getting it outside of the marriage...but how i feel dont matter....is it wrong has nothing to dp with hpw i feel
Psst...Here's a little info...this is a Christian site...Kind of weird you wanting to discuss this with random men here:confused:... You might want to discuss it with your husband...Just saying...

woman63

Nov 6, 2017
removed subject matter not for this thread

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Well thanks and to answer your question, no there ain't much in this world that embarrasses me. But to be honest, I really do think that you should talk to your husband about this, if you haven't done so already.

What I am struggling with is why people don't have an issue with this type of thread being wide open to the public, though.

I've said this before but it looks like women would discuss this with other Christian women in a more private setting and men do the same. I mean it really does seem inappropriate to me.

I seriously hope things work out for you, but like I said I think this is something you should talk to your husband about.

woman63

Nov 6, 2017
ok...please just go past my post. im sorry my words made you so uncomfortable. Calling all Christan woman that might read this., your feedback and insight would be appreciated!

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
ok...please just go past my post. im sorry my words made you so uncomfortable. Calling all Christan woman that might read this., your feedback and insight would be appreciated!
LOL...Did you even read what I posted. Your post didn't make me uncomfortable...but I'd guess it would probably make your husband uncomfortable if he knew what you were on here discussing with other men...Just saying. :rolleyes:

Dec 21, 2012
I've read a many of these masturbatory threads. Everyone who post them are either: demanding biblical proof that masturbation is a sin, i.e., permission to do it; or they are throwing out irrelevant scripture, to condemn anyone who has ever touched or viewed their own genitals.

I'm a Baptist. Sin is what separates me from God. What you do that separates you, may be different.
Same goes for me too that sin separates me from God and as a saved believer, it breaks fellowship with the Father & the Son.

But you just gave grounds to question anyone calling anything a sin by saying nothing in scripture condemns it.

Rape is a modern word not found in the Bible. Because we cannot find the word rape, we can not know if that is a sin? Give me a break.

They even think fornication only refers to prostitution.

You can know that masturbation has to be in the realm of uncleanness and certainly above lasciviousness which is sexual excessiveness.

Jude 1:[SUP]4 [/SUP]For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ ......[SUP]23 [/SUP]And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Now a mocker will just say that doesn't mean anything and yet they say nothing for what it does mean.

Romans 1:[SUP]24 [/SUP]Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Spilling seed is the act that dishonors their own body. I can post more scripture, and I have in other posts, but if you are going to say irrelevant, go ahead and prove to everybody that rape is a sin by the scriptures. I am sure you can.

John 7: [SUP]7 [/SUP]The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

Only by the scripture can any one expose the works of darkness for what it is; sin, no matter if today, they give it another name.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they have a women's forum on here so you don't have to call 'em all up... just go there and make a thread if you want...

woman63

Nov 6, 2017
removed inappropriate

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
why are you responding to me like this. i am sincerely looking for advice. How would my husband feel....HE WOULDNT CARE! so long as i leave him alone, he is just dandy! But you know what, you are the ONLY male that keeps responding!!!!
Ok this is the last time I am responding to you...Oh and btw, sorry but I am not a man...

Hope you find whatever answers your looking for. I'm not just nit picking at you here...I think this whole thread is inappropriate. I don't get why people can't just talk to God about it, and keep it between them, or at least have this discussion in some type of private setting, but hey that's just my opinion, right.

Dec 21, 2012
Well thanks and to answer your question, no there ain't much in this world that embarrasses me. But to be honest, I really do think that you should talk to your husband about this, if you haven't done so already.

What I am struggling with is why people don't have an issue with this type of thread being wide open to the public, though.

I've said this before but it looks like women would discuss this with other Christian women in a more private setting and men do the same. I mean it really does seem inappropriate to me.

I seriously hope things work out for you, but like I said I think this is something you should talk to your husband about.
Ok this is the last time I am responding to you...Oh and btw, sorry but I am not a man...

Hope you find whatever answers your looking for. I'm not just nit picking at you here...I think this whole thread is inappropriate. I don't get why people can't just talk to God about it, and keep it between them, or at least have this discussion in some type of private setting, but hey that's just my opinion, right.
It is true that with everything that has been shared in this thread, every one should take the matter to the Lord at that throne of grace for the answers they seek in the scriptures provided whether masturbation is a sin or not since only He can help each believer to see the truth in His words.

James 1:[SUP]5 [/SUP]If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Hebrews 4:[SUP]12 [/SUP]For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.[SUP]13 [/SUP]Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.[SUP] 14 [/SUP]Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.[SUP]15 [/SUP]For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.[SUP]16 [/SUP]Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

U

UnderGrace

I Agree.

This is a private matter to be discussed with God, a pastor or a close friend, for some this topic is salacious and a trigger therefore not appropriate for a Christian Discussion Board

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Same goes for me too that sin separates me from God and as a saved believer, it breaks fellowship with the Father & the Son.

But you just gave grounds to question anyone calling anything a sin by saying nothing in scripture condemns it.

Rape is a modern word not found in the Bible. Because we cannot find the word rape, we can not know if that is a sin? Give me a break.

They even think fornication only refers to prostitution.

You can know that masturbation has to be in the realm of uncleanness and certainly above lasciviousness which is sexual excessiveness.

Jude 1:[SUP]4 [/SUP]For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ ......[SUP]23 [/SUP]And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Now a mocker will just say that doesn't mean anything and yet they say nothing for what it does mean.

Romans 1:[SUP]24 [/SUP]Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Spilling seed is the act that dishonors their own body. I can post more scripture, and I have in other posts, but if you are going to say irrelevant, go ahead and prove to everybody that rape is a sin by the scriptures. I am sure you can.

John 7: [SUP]7 [/SUP]The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

Only by the scripture can any one expose the works of darkness for what it is; sin, no matter if today, they give it another name.
I don't know what your arguing with me about. I haven't made a case in favor of playing with yourself, or against.

I don't know what you're on about rape for. My bible does say the word rape in it, and Moses laid out some punishment for it.

Please post some about "spilling seed." Please. Only story I remember in the bible is, one guy.... only one, made God mad, because he wouldn't knock up his dead brothers wife.

Some of y'all like to make the bible fit your own view, instead of making your view fit the bible. Sometimes I forget, Christians all must come from the same cookie cutter.

None of the scripture you posted, would lead the casual, or reasonable reader, to believe it addresses making drain babies. Not that I'm arguing for, or against masturbation, I'm completely indifferent to it. I just think it's odd that this topic gets a new thread weekly. Of course, if Moses came down with an 11th commandment, saying ; "Ye shall not pullith, thy privy member," there would be no argument.

Dec 21, 2012
I don't know what your arguing with me about. I haven't made a case in favor of playing with yourself, or against.
Sitting on the fence in making criticism will do that for you.

I don't know what you're on about rape for. My bible does say the word rape in it, and Moses laid out some punishment for it.
Word search at Bible Gateway for the KJV does not find any results. What Bible version are you using?

Please post some about "spilling seed." Please. Only story I remember in the bible is, one guy.... only one, made God mad, because he wouldn't knock up his dead brothers wife.
That scriptural reference should be enough to assist in seeing what uncleanness is, brother.

Some of y'all like to make the bible fit your own view, instead of making your view fit the bible. Sometimes I forget, Christians all must come from the same cookie cutter.
Such as from the cookie cutter for sitting on the fence.

None of the scripture you posted, would lead the casual, or reasonable reader, to believe it addresses making drain babies. Not that I'm arguing for, or against masturbation, I'm completely indifferent to it. I just think it's odd that this topic gets a new thread weekly. Of course, if Moses came down with an 11th commandment, saying ; "Ye shall not pullith, thy privy member," there would be no argument.
Why don't you address one verse then and tell us what this is about?

Jude 1:[SUP]23 [/SUP]And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Do you think hating a garment spotted by the flesh would at all testify to the spilling of the seed when someone is in heat or not?

Or do you wish to remain sitting on that fence?

If the act from Onan makes the bed defiled and not just what he did was wrong, then masturbation defiles the body and makes the believer unclean by the act of uncleannness.

The body by itself is not for sex. Sex as intended is for the married couple. So even masturbation is dishonoring the other spouse's body because masturbation is not sex; the union of 2 bodies as 1, is what sex is intended for. Not oral sex; not masturbation, not anal sex for what the world would call sex. Using that member for what it was not intended for is sin.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Sitting on the fence in making criticism will do that for you.

Word search at Bible Gateway for the KJV does not find any results. What Bible version are you using?

That scriptural reference should be enough to assist in seeing what uncleanness is, brother.

Such as from the cookie cutter for sitting on the fence.

Why don't you address one verse then and tell us what this is about?

Jude 1:[SUP]23 [/SUP]And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Do you think hating a garment spotted by the flesh would at all testify to the spilling of the seed when someone is in heat or not?

Or do you wish to remain sitting on that fence?

If the act from Onan makes the bed defiled and not just what he did was wrong, then masturbation defiles the body and makes the believer unclean by the act of uncleannness.

The body by itself is not for sex. Sex as intended is for the married couple. So even masturbation is dishonoring the other spouse's body because masturbation is not sex; the union of 2 bodies as 1, is what sex is intended for. Not oral sex; not masturbation, not anal sex for what the world would call sex. Using that member for what it was not intended for is sin.
My bible says NIV on the spine.

Maybe God was mad cause Onan didn't knock up his dead brothers wife. Maybe it's that simple.

The garment could have been blood stained. You know, *****es go in heat, not human males.

I'm not going to address your last paragraph, except to say; you have some serious problems.

Nov 15, 2017
Onan refused to fulfill his duty to provide an heir for his deceased brother. The passage is not about masturbation but about fulfilling a family obligation.
Correct.

While the Bible does not directly answer this question, there definitely are some biblical principles that can be applied to the issue:

(1) “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). If we cannot give God glory for something, we should not do it.

(2) “Everything that does not come from faith is sin” (Romans 14:23). If we are not fully convinced that an activity is honoring to God, it is a sin.
Inference is a powerful tool for religion. If what you quote from in these scriptures is 100% literal does that include using the restroom as well? Or just things we want to include in it?

Scripture does not say masturbation is a sin. Scripture does not say masturbation is uncleanness. All of that has to be inferred or reasoned on to satisfy the desires of men and religion.

When God judges the hearts of men I don't think this issue will be high on his list- if at all.

Dec 21, 2012
My bible says NIV on the spine.
That explains it.

Maybe God was mad cause Onan didn't knock up his dead brothers wife. Maybe it's that simple.
Maybe? When uncleanness is a work of the flesh listed between fornication and lasciviousness which is sexual excessiveness, you want to gamble that it is not a sin for those to be defrauded of their inheritance in the kingdom of God?

Galatians 5:[SUP]19 [/SUP]Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,[SUP]20 [/SUP]Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,[SUP]21 [/SUP]Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The garment could have been blood stained. You know, *****es go in heat, not human males.
Spotted by the flesh? I agree with you, but it applies to both genders. Pulling them out of the fire is what beastslayer1970 should have been doing in counseling married couples when apart.

I'm not going to address your last paragraph, except to say; you have some serious problems.
By saying that, you did address my last paragraph.

In regards to fornication, there is an address to our bodies which is the Temple of the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:[SUP]15 [/SUP]Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.[SUP] 16 [/SUP]What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.[SUP] 17 [/SUP]But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.[SUP] 18 [/SUP]Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.[SUP] 19 [/SUP]What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?[SUP] 20 [/SUP]For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/self-abuse

[h=2]Definition of self-abuse[/h] 1 :reproach of oneself

2 :masturbation

3 :abuse of one's body or health
Therefore uncleanness is masturbation.

Romans 6:[SUP]12 [/SUP]Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.[SUP] 13 [/SUP]Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God............[SUP]19 [/SUP]I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.[SUP] 20 [/SUP]For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

So that is why married couples, regardless of the situation, has to suffer with what single believers are going through.

Romans 12:1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.[SUP]2 [/SUP]And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

How does that NIV working out for you? Or do you have a serious problem opening the cover in reproving the works of darkness by the scripture? Then try the KJV instead, brother. The KJV does more in exposing the works of darkness, but you still need to trust Jesus Christ as your Good Shepherd to help you use the meat of His words to discern good & evil by.

Just saying.

Dec 21, 2012
John 7:[SUP]7 [/SUP]The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

1 Thessalonians 5:
[SUP]21 [/SUP]Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. [SUP]22 [/SUP]Abstain from all appearance of evil.