Re-Babtism?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cako53

I got babtised like 3 or 4 years ago, I fell FAR from God, and when I got babtised I didn't really know why iwas doing it. I wondered what everyones thoughts on re-babtism were? Biblical support would be great. I am just wondering whether it is the right step for me to take or no. Thanks everyone. God Bless.

Apr 13, 2007
Well, being baptized doesn't really do anything. It's symbolic for how Jesus' blood washes away our sins.If you didn't know why you did it, or didn't fully understand its meaning then...and do now, then I say you SHOULD do it again. We do it as a statement of faith,to the church. To say I believe, accepted, repented, and confessed. I have Jesus' blood applied, I'm a child of God. I'm on my way to heaven!

Hope this helps, God bless!

Apr 13, 2007
Oh yeah, just a quick note...many ask ''then why was Jesus baptized? well, because He was the promised Messiah. John the Baptist had been foretold by God that He would send the Holy Spirit upon Jesus in the form of a dove, to prove that Jesus is/was the Messiah.

Apr 23, 2009
I got babtised like 3 or 4 years ago, I fell FAR from God, and when I got babtised I didn't really know why iwas doing it. I wondered what everyones thoughts on re-babtism were? Biblical support would be great. I am just wondering whether it is the right step for me to take or no. Thanks everyone. God Bless.
I think you should. My wife was baptized as a child and like you she really didn;t know why, and like you she also left the church, and went deep into sin when we got saved she was re-baptized. I would argue her 2nd baptism is the only one that truly counted.

C

Cako53

I think you should. My wife was baptized as a child and like you she really didn;t know why, and like you she also left the church, and went deep into sin when we got saved she was re-baptized. I would argue her 2nd baptism is the only one that truly counted.
Thank you, I really feel that I should, but it is going to be hard to break it to my parents, the reasons behind why I want to get babtized again. They have no clue about what i got into, I have really been feeling that God wants me to tell them, but I don't think my mom could cope, and I don't think I could deal with it either. It would just be hard.

T

tryingtofindhim

Oh yeah, just a quick note...many ask ''then why was Jesus baptized? well, because He was the promised Messiah. John the Baptist had been foretold by God that He would send the Holy Spirit upon Jesus in the form of a dove, to prove that Jesus is/was the Messiah.
He got baptized as a sign of obedience to his father.

Apr 23, 2009
Thank you, I really feel that I should, but it is going to be hard to break it to my parents, the reasons behind why I want to get babtized again. They have no clue about what i got into, I have really been feeling that God wants me to tell them, but I don't think my mom could cope, and I don't think I could deal with it either. It would just be hard.
Well, you will be in my prayers.

J

jcspartan

There is nothing I would say in direct response to your question that hasn't really been said already. Do what will enrich your relationship with Jesus. Talking to your parents is a brave and bold move. I will pray for you.

Father God,
You are perfect in all your ways. You are all powerfull and yet you humbled yourself to save us from our own sin.

I rejoice that you saved Caleb and ask that you give him strenth and boldness in his walk with you. Give him wisdom to see what You would have him do. In all things may You Lord be glorified.
In Jesus Name
Amen

I will continue to pray as the days go by.

Apr 13, 2007
He got baptized as a sign of obedience to his father.
Indeed it was in obedience, BUT it was also to prove to others that Jesus was the promised Messiah. It's both. I'm not wrong, nor are you. God bless you.

T

tryingtofindhim

Indeed it was in obedience, BUT it was also to prove to others that Jesus was the promised Messiah. It's both. I'm not wrong, nor are you. God bless you.
I'm confused can you get me a verse for that please?

G

greatkraw

Baptism was part of the ritual associated with passover. It was called a mikvah. It symbolised repentance and cleansing from sin.

Jesus set us the example.

I have been baptised 3 times for different reasons.

If I had never been baptised I would still be saved.

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
it does no harm getting baptised again

Apr 13, 2007
I'm confused can you get me a verse for that please?
There's different verses, I can't recall them all right now...however, Mark 1:8-11 says I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with a Holy Ghost. And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan. And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like dove descended upon him: and there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

That doesn't say John had been foretold, BUT it does prove that the purpose was to show others Jesus was indeed the promised Messiah. It was foretold by Isaiah in Isaiah 40:1-3 and many other places.I just can't recall them all right now as I said, and I do apologize for that. I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off so to speak...getting ready for college, the holidays, family, etc. I'll try and find more when I have time. Those verses work for now though.

C

Cako53

Thank you watchmen and jcspartan for your prayers, they are greatly appreciated.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
well.....

I am what has the nick-name 'ana-baptist' (YES we are still alive!)

If someone came to our church and was baptised in an unscriptural way.. we would ask the person if they would like to be re-baptised to be a member of the local church.

Why?

Well.. baptised as infants.. this means nadda.. baptism was always and is always now.. by full immersion.. after salvation

Baptism believing it saves someone? This is not scriptural.. their are numerous examples of people saved, but never baptised.. and every baptism was after salvation when you look at context

there is more to it aswell....

in the bible there is the example I think Paul gives.. where are letter is sent of recommendation to re-baptise a saved person.. need to look it up again.. certain it is there.

Baptism not mattering much? Well.. it doesn't affect salvation.. but it does matter for church membership, which is the primary source of all Christian teaching and fellowship.

i have been christened, confirmed, baptised.. and re-baptised.. the only one that meant anything.. was the re-baptism. Christening.. just meant my family would bring me up going to church. Confirmation? Dunno what that was about.. can't even remember. Baptism one-- that was an unscriptural church. Re-baptism? In a bible believing church.. after salvation.. by full immersion-- sound.

1Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

C

Cako53

I wasn't babtised as a baby, I was babtized like 4 years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.