Read Your Bible!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Consumed

Consumed, Brother you are dealing with wolves that team up like packs of vipers, I've read your post I know you are a Christain, I know you Love Jesus, The Darts being slug at you, are blocked by Jesus, Christains shouldnt treat other Christains like this, I join you as asking our Father to Forgive them,

In Christ Jesus Amen

"From Ibe"

wow, i went back and read over the posts, thanks ibe for your encouragement, love covers us all- ALL, have received a private messages encouraging me not to take it hard, and i assure you I dont, all is good and for the Glory of Jesus, ive been called alot worse in my life.

I

ibewhoibe

wow, i went back and read over the posts, thanks ibe for your encouragement, love covers us all- ALL, have received a private messages encouraging me not to take it hard, and i assure you I dont, all is good and for the Glory of Jesus, ive been called alot worse in my life.
Consumed, You are my Brother In Christ Jesus, I always look to read your post as they are truly posted out of Love for the good of all, The Holy Spirit moves thur you, thats our Fathers Power, God Bless you as you continu in showing us the most important Commandment Love,

" From I Be "

I

ibewhoibe

Hi IBE,

Thank you for your reply. you know that there are foundational truths to Christianity. The Trinity is one of them, Thats all I will.

Have a wonderfully blessed day/evening (gets confusing all these time zones lol)

God Bless

Phil
Hi Phil, Its is Gods will for you to over-flow in abundance, Our Father Knows you Heart, God has you at work thier is no denying this, It is not hard to see your will to save others, This is a Spirital War we are in, We need to spread the Word of the Gospel so all can hear, and there are a lot listening, the Gospel explains that sinning humans being can only be brought into harmony with God through a Savior. Jesus Christ did this for us, Phil I know you like to fish, real-them in slow Brother, so the line dont pop and you dont lose-em,

May Our Father Bless You as You continu Your minstry

" I Be "

S

Saint

My favorite passage from the Bible refering to this is Psalm 119:11

which led me to coming up with my sig

N

NoTearsShed

Thanks for posting that up, Its true if you read a magazine or newspaper they wont really pay attention but read the bible and some people will look and / or stare.
Whether its a Good or bad stare.

The bible is the only book that teaches you good wisdom and about what is REALLY important.
Other books might teach you something but not like the bible will. The bible gets you closer to Jesus because you feed of the word which you need, like Jesus said in

Matthew chapter 4
4Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.

C

Crazy4GODword

Don't just read it but Study it

For studying and reading the bible are two different things

Jan 17, 2011
'But the word of the Lord stands forever...' 1 Peter 1:25J
ana Jones says, 'During the day I take a few moments to unwind by reading the Bible. After seeing me do this for several months, my four-year-old daughter became concerned: "Aren't you ever going to finish reading that book?"' You could read the Bible for a lifetime and not 'scratch the surface'.

There's no other book like it. For example,

1) No human being would have written to such a high standard. Stop and think of the best person you know. You must admit, even they would have left certain things out, wouldn't they?

2) There's an aura the Bible generates that no other book does. Martin Luther said, 'The Bible is alive, it speaks to me; it has feet, it runs after me; it has hands, it lays hold of me.'

Try laying a newspaper on your table at a restaurant and no one will give you a second look. But lay your Bible on it and they'll stare at you, watch you chew your food, and maybe even take a note of your licence plate when you get into your car. That's because the Bible creates a sense of God's presence that forces a reaction in the hearts of men and women.

3) We are changed as we read it. Our core values are altered, peace enters our spirit, joy wells up within our heart. 'The Word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us to what we really are' (Hebrews 4:12 NLT). The answers you need are in your Bible, so make it part of your everyday.

I love devotionals, they help remind you of imortant things.

Blessings

Phil
This opening verse you used is not talking about the scriptures. Here's what Jesus had to say about the scriptures versus the spirit of God who was in him.

John 5
37: And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen;
38: and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe him whom he has sent.
39: You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me;
40: yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
64: But there are some of you that do not believe." For Jesus knew from the first who those were that did not believe, and who it was that would betray him.

Romans 8
27: And he who searches the hearts of men knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

I Colossians 1:
15: He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation;

John 1
1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2: He was in the beginning with God;
3: all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.
4: In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
5: The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
This opening verse you used is not talking about the scriptures. Here's what Jesus had to say about the scriptures versus the spirit of God who was in him.

John 5
37: And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen;
38: and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe him whom he has sent.
39: You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me;
40: yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
64: But there are some of you that do not believe." For Jesus knew from the first who those were that did not believe, and who it was that would betray him.

Romans 8
27: And he who searches the hearts of men knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

I Colossians 1:
15: He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation;

John 1
1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2: He was in the beginning with God;
3: all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.
4: In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
5: The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

I think you have got it all wrong.

The first verses you have given , can you tell us the context and to who he was talking? once you answer this, then your polemic falls.

It is the Holy Spirit in us that guides us through Scripture, for they are inspired by the Spirit and He brings them to life..

You have made a polemic between scripture and the Holy Spirit. Why have you done that?

Jan 17, 2011
I think you have got it all wrong.

The first verses you have given , can you tell us the context and to who he was talking? once you answer this, then your polemic falls.

It is the Holy Spirit in us that guides us through Scripture, for they are inspired by the Spirit and He brings them to life..

You have made a polemic between scripture and the Holy Spirit. Why have you done that?

Why do you sinners always have an excuse to reject the scriptures you love so much when they're presented in the correct context? I understand all the scriptures and that's why I use them.

I know that anyone born of God will never sin again but you sinners reject that idea because you're sinners and not sinless saints. That makes you a liar because I know for a fact that you have to be made sinless before you're born of God.

Jesus was born of God because he was born sinless. There wasn't one person on earth at the time he was preaching who was born of God. He was speaking to the Pharisees who were rejecting the gospel he was preaching. The gospel is the voice of God but the Pharisees couldn't recognize the truth.

Jesus knew they search the scriptures for the truth but there's no truth in them. The truth is the spirit of God, not written words in a book. They are only testimonies by the prophets who wrote the inspired words from the truth.

It's like the President of the U.S. who writes a biography of himself. Are the words in the book the President or are they a testimony of the president?

The flesh of the prophets, Jesus and us saints were chosen to have the Word revealed in our heart, mind and soul. Our flesh became obedient to the spoken Word within us so God could speak, write or perform miracles through us. This has nothing to do with scriptures.

The scriptures were for us to gather a vocabulary so that God had words to inspire when he had us speak for him. God doesn't have a brain, hands, eyes, ears, fingers, etc. so he needs the flesh of man to do these things. Jesus was the first of us to know he was created as the Word and speak for God. The prophets were sinners who never understood the prophesies they were writing. Sinlessness is required to have the truth so the scriptures can be interpreted correctly.

Here are a few scriptures to show that we saints have to be sinless before we're born of God and receive understanding.

1 John 1:
7: but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
8: If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10: If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:
3: And by this we may be sure that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4: He who says "I know him" but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
29: If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that every one who does right is born of him.

1 John 3:
6: No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him.
9: No one born of God commits sin; for God's nature abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God.

1 John 5:
2: By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.
3: For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
18: We know that any one born of God does not sin, but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.

Galations 5:
24: And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Romans 6:
20: When you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
21: But then what return did you get from the things of which you are now ashamed? The end of those things is death.
22: But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the return you get is sanctification and its end, eternal life.
23: For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 8
31: Jesus then said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples,
32: and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
33: They answered him, "We are descendants of Abraham, and have never been in bondage to any one. How is it that you say, `You will be made free'?"
34: Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, every one who commits sin is a slave to sin.
35: The slave does not continue in the house for ever; the son continues for ever.
36: So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

Feb 15, 2009
The Holy Bible is the only book that reads me. My loving Christian friend reads his bible for hours, what an example to us. Many people don't read the Bible as much as they should. Not just little reads or snacks but enjoy a spiritual meal, feast.

Last edited:
C

camragirl73

If you dont know how or want to learn how to study the bible try HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE FOR YOURSELF BY TIM LAHAYE

Descyple

Jun 7, 2010
Here are a couple of quotes from one of my favorite authors (17th century Puritan Thomas Watson) to help encourage us all to daily immerse ourselves in the Bible. All quotes are taken from his book "The Godly Man's Picture" in Chapter 9 entitled "The Godly Man is a Lover of the Word."

"A godly man's heart is the library to hold the Word of God."
- Thomas Watson, The Godly Man's Picture, pg 61

"A pious soul meditates on the truth and holiness of the Word. He not only has a few transient thoughts, but leaves his mind steeping in the Scriptures."
- Thomas Watson, The Godly Man's Picture, pg 62

"The Word written is our pillar of fire to guide us... it is the map by which we sail to the New Jerusalem."
- Thomas Watson, The Godly Man's Picture, pg 63

"Do we make the Word our bosom friend? As Moses often had 'the rod of God' in his hand, so we should have the 'Book of God' in our hand. When we want direction, do we consult this sacred oracle? When we find corruptions strong, do we make use of this 'sword of the Spirit' to hew them down? When we are disconsolate, do we go to this bottle of the water of life for comfort? Then we are lovers of the Word!
But alas, how can they who are seldom conversant with the Scriptures say they love them? Their eyes begin to be sore when they look at the Bible. The two testaments are hung up like rusty armour which is seldom or never made use of. The Lord wrote the laws with his own finger, but though God took pains to write, men will not take pains to read."
- Thomas Watson, The Godly Man's Picture, pg 65

Feb 9, 2010
I do believe that we have to abstain from sin to be right with God,and a Spirit led life will not fulfill the desires of the flesh,but Jesus said about the Father,thy word is truth,and sanctify them by thy word,and man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from God,and the word that Jesus' speaks,they are spirit,and they are life,the sword of the Spirit is the word of God.

Nobody can be the Word of God but Jesus.

C

Crazy4GODword

um.... friend we have the scripture for a reason because it helps with the Spirit testify about GOD

does anyone agree or am i making a mistake?

C

Crazy4GODword

claps/claps amen

Love a friend in God
Thank you friend, for we are in Christ and we stand tall, so back up devil we are in overdrive heading toward GOD

S

Scotth1960

ana Jones says, 'During the day I take a few moments to unwind by reading

the Bible. After seeing me do this for several months, my four-year-old

daughter became concerned: "Aren't you ever going to finish reading that

book?"' You could read the Bible for a lifetime and not 'scratch the surface'.

There's no other book like it. For example,

1) No human being would have written to such a high standard. Stop and

think of the best person you know. You must admit, even they would have

left certain things out, wouldn't they?

2) There's an aura the Bible generates that no other book does. Martin

Luther said, 'The Bible is alive, it speaks to me; it has feet, it runs after me; it

has hands, it lays hold of me.'

Try laying a newspaper on your table at a restaurant and no one will give you

a second look. But lay your Bible on it and they'll stare at you, watch you

chew your food, and maybe even take a note of your licence plate when you

get into your car. That's because the Bible creates a sense of God's presence

that forces a reaction in the hearts of men and women.

3) We are changed as we read it. Our core values are altered, peace enters

our spirit, joy wells up within our heart. 'The Word of God is full of living

power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost

thoughts and desires. It exposes us to what we really are' (Hebrews 4:12

NLT). The answers you need are in your Bible, so make it part of your

everyday.

I love devotionals, they help remind you of imortant things.

Blessings

Phil

Dear friend, phil36: Jesus Christ Himself is speaking in John 15:26. Christ saith, "But

when the Comforter is come, Whom I shall send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit

of truth, Who proceedeth from the Father, He shall bring testimony regarding Me". The

non-Orthodox West all says, IN DEFIANCE OF THIS VERSE, that the Holy Spirit proceedeth

from the Father "AND THE SON" (FILIOQUE). It is the Filioque that is the semi-Sabellian

error of the West. The Calvinists and the Anglicans and the Lutherans and the Methodists

all inherit this FILIOQUE ERROR from ROMAN CATHOLICISM. The Calvinist Westminster

Confession of Faith also includes this semi-Sabellian monster. The Western Christians of

the Protestant Reformation have not "reformed" (corrected) this error. Only Eastern

Orthodoxy and Oriental Orthodoxy and Old Catholicism stand against the FILIOQUE

ERROR.

The Word of the LORD remains forever. Christ says forever, "Who proceedeth from the

Father". AMEN. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but the words of Jesus Christ Our

LORD GOD and Saviour shall never pass away. The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father,

from the Father alone. Thus saith the Scripture (John 15:26). AMEN. In Erie PA Scott R.

Harrington

D

DanuckInUSA

I am going through James right now on my blog. Devour the word man, daily bread for sure.

S

Scotth1960

[quote=AgeofKnowledge;355898]Yes read your Bible and ask God to reveal it to you. Here's what scripture says:

Dear AgeofKnowledge, If I were giving advice to a new Christian, for early Bible reading, I would recommend they begin by reading the ESV. One should include the full original Bible version, which is the one published in 2009 by Oxford University Press which includes the deuterocanonical books labeled by some as "apocrypha". I believe it is propaganda to call them apocrypha, as I have not read a verse by verse refutation of these books, quoting all the verses in them, and all the verses in the rest of the Bible, to show any and all possible contradictions. Such a massive undertaking may not be possible in this life. I am sure that God will one day reveal the whole truth regarding this matter, and He will make plain to all what is in His Word (Bible), and what is not. In the meanwhile, these books are not to be called Apocrypha, but rather the better word is Anagiskomena. To be read books.
After one has studied the ESV for a while, I would move on to the OSB (Orthodox Study Bible), Copyright 2008 by St. Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology, Elk Grove, CA. Fr. Jack Norman Sparks, Ph.D., ed. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Bibles. After one has read the notes and text of the OSB for a while, I would then move on to a further study of the following texts, the ONT (Orthodox New Testament, 2 vols., Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation. Copyright 2000, Holy Apostles Convent, Buena Vista, CO. It may not be possible in one Christian lifetime to read and pay attention to every verse of Scripture equally. There will always be much room for improvement in our understanding of any particular verse or verses of the OT and the NT. And of the Anagiskomena books. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington PS I think I want to study the ONT Gospels and the OT of the OSB. Before reading other books like Galatians in the ONT and the NIV. Galatians in the NIV also has some promising verses which the NIV captures in good, fresh translation.

S

Scotth1960

Dear friends, Reformed and non-Reformed Christians. Read the Bible. Read what the Bible says about the Trinity (Mat. 28:19), etc. Cf. also Gen. 1:26! Read what THE BIBLE SAYS about the eternal procession of the Holy Spirit within the Trinity. We read, "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me." John 15:26 NKJV OSB (Orthodox Study Bible; page 1456.). God bless and save all of you. God save us all. In Erie PA USA Scott R. Harrington