Rejoicing in suffering.

• Thread starter thefightinglamb
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thefightinglamb

There are two sides of persecutions in the Bible...

On the one side, you have Jesus getting mad at the Pharisees because John was sent and they wouldn't weep;Jesus was sent and they wouldn't rejoice. Other examples: Paul was not too thrilled about Christians deserting him when he was persecuted...He even appeals to being a Roman citizen so he would not be persecuted by the people that illegally held him...I do not think part of Jesus rejoiced when everyone abandoned him...I am not sure He was smiling when He was crucified...

And then Jesus says to 'rejoice when people mistreat you and say all sorts of bad things about you for so they also treated the prophets.' It goes further and says great is your reward in heaven. When two of the apostles were jailed, they seemed to rejoice and sing psalms during the night and then in the morning rejoice that they had been persecuted for being a Christian. Jesus did not appear to happy that the Pharisees persecuted him...

Okay, to make things simpler...In my own life, I am under a dilemma about how we are to react to things...I read something by 'Athaneus' (an early Christian) that suggest we should praise God no matter what He gives us and this is the highest form of perfection...but then I think about it:if God sends us sorrow, are we not suppose to weep? When friends and family persecute me, I do not feeoverly joyed, though in the deepest level I am awed that I am with Jesus and this does make me happy--but it often doesn't show in me leaping for joy when I am called names or mocked...

I have told other people that Christians experience both greater sorrow and greater joy than anybody else, because we see and care about what spiritually happens (though we know we are not in control).

So do many of you get excited with things go bad, knowing God is blessing you in disguise (which is true)? Even when it is things you truly care about like friends and family mistreating you? Do you smile or leap for joy? I am not meaning to mock here, but if it is what I am suppose to be doing I will tt to learn how to even outwardly smile.

the love of Christ
tony

olivetree32

Jan 4, 2009
hi fightinglamb, and God be with you. i love you brother in christ! There is so much that we have to go through somtimes as christians, i have often wondered my self, why do the wicked prosper, why do those who are not walking having succsess? and than i realize this, they don't have the Lord to fall on, they rely on self and the world to make it, not jesus. they are far worse of than me and you ever could be. God has taught us to love are enemy, and let God take care of all those who think they have so much to say, or who blame others. But its just for us to love those who hurt us, or presecute us. that may seem impossible,but not for God.

D

dodolah

I see it like this:

In order for you to fully understand goodness, you have to know what is badness.
In order for you to understand happiness, then you have to experience sorrow.
There is nothing wrong with feeling sad and angry as it is a part of our emotions as human (even God feels this as well).

The only thing wrong is when you constantly escape from it or wallow too much that you refuse to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.