Repentance is the Gift Of God !

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
But salvation is from God lest any man boast. Look man I understand your view, I really do and do not disagree. I do believe we have a choice and that's part of being made in His image. So lets go with you, I say the prayer, mean it truly, and by His grace and power am transformed, my spirit resurrected in real life, and reconciled to His as we were created to be. I am made whole by our King. Who gets credit for "my" choice? Who gets ALL the credit for "YOUR CHOICE" in your opinion?
I believe we hear the Gospel and evaluate the claims and trustworthiness and we trust from the heart . God recognises this and then Gives us the holy Spirit . I claim no more than Cornelius or those bereans in Acts 17 . Did they go around saying " oh yes didn't we do well when we searched the scriptures " Or Cornelius ' boasting about praying to God ect . God responds to Our faith in him . He is pleased when a person believes the Gospel 1 cor 1.21 . Who cares if I was relieved I did believe the Gospel, that I didn't resist the Holy Spirit , that I too searched the validity of the Christian claims, I spent 7 months trying to disprove christianity and ended up reading the new testament all the way through and in the end ,I believed. I will share my testimony . We are supposed to share our testimony . God saves . His prerequisite is ' believing him ' ,believing the Gospel ( 1 cor 15 .1-4 ) There is only an issue because of a certain system called Calvinsm , thinks ' regeneration precedes faith ' is in the bible. Then they call everyone a heretic that disagrees with this .

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
In context he does those things ..For the reasons he does . But not before they are born in a eternal decree of reprobation. The bible never says that. By our trusting from the Heart he saves . Thats the perquisite ..He doesn't need to play both sides of the chess board to fulfil his purposes .
how impossible it is to believe the gospel, it really is, no wonder people laugh at us and think we are crazy.

Unless God does a miracle in our hearts we never would believe.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
I believe we hear the Gospel and evaluate the claims and trustworthiness and we trust from the heart . God recognises this and then Gives us the holy Spirit . I claim no more than Cornelius or those bereans in Acts 17 . Did they go around saying " oh yes didn't we do well when we searched the scriptures " Or Cornelius ' boasting about praying to God ect . God responds to Our faith in him . He is pleased when a person believes the Gospel 1 cor 1.21 . Who cares if I was relieved I did believe the Gospel, that I didn't resist the Holy Spirit , that I too searched the validity of the Christian claims, I spent 7 months trying to disprove christianity and ended up reading the new testament all the way through and in the end ,I believed. I will share my testimony . We are supposed to share our testimony . God saves . His prerequisite is ' believing him ' ,believing the Gospel ( 1 cor 15 .1-4 ) There is only an issue because of a certain system called Calvinsm , thinks ' regeneration precedes faith ' is in the bible. Then they call everyone a heretic that disagrees with this .
You didn't answer my question.
I am asking if YOU choose salvation for REAL, and by His grace, through faith in Jesus you are saved for real. Who gets the "credit" for the choice you made? It's a simple question, no need for a paragraph about other unrelated topics. I'm not trying to "trick you into something", or bait you at all. I am agreeing that "we" make a choice, all I'm asking you is who gets the credit for that choice? I just want to know how you see it. BTW I truly appreciate the conversation, I think it's important for us to discuss these things among each other with respect as our King commanded. I just appreciate it.

I think the real problem here (as in this conversation in a general sense) is factions. Two opposing views, that are usually a simple difference in perspective and way of thinking about something, draw a line in the sand, label themselves, then build a strawman of what they thing EVERYONE with a different way of looking at something believes, then dig in attacking their own creation and never actually listen to the other side. Both sides do this to the shame of Jesus and to the detriment of the body.

An example, and I believe you're demonstrating it perfectly in this comment. Not in a bad way at all, but it's perfect for my point.
I have never read anything John Calvin has written, I've never attended a Calvinist Church, never studied his philosophy and I have certainly NEVER thought of myself as, nor called myself a Calvinist. Yet on CC I have been called and labeled that and firmly filed away as such. By no means am I saying that you have done any of those things at all, and I realize your comment was more towards the whole discussion here, but even in this comment I'm replying to I seem to be connected with Calvin.

I do understand why, I know my beliefs do tend to be on that side of the spectrum, so I know this assumption isn't unfounded at all, but it is not really my point here. My main point is the factions, it's no different than the world, and we are called tob be different, we are called to be known for our love for each other, and I see many of us doing a piss poor job of this sometimes, as always I have to call my hypocritical self out first for this, but I am praying to be better. I guess at this point I am more sharing my heart that addressing the OP so I'll let you go brother, and hope you have a blessed day. I do still want to know who you think gets credit for you decision for Christ.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
In light of repentance being of Christ and His Saving prerogative, it's not scriptural to make it a condition for sinners to perform in order to get saved.56

Mar 23, 2016
In light of repentance being of Christ and His Saving prerogative, it's not scriptural to make it a condition for sinners to perform in order to get saved.56
When a person does not reject the gospel, what did that person "perform in order to get saved"?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
how impossible it is to believe the gospel, it really is, no wonder people laugh at us and think we are crazy.

No verse says that.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
I am asking if YOU choose salvation for REAL, and by His grace, through faith in Jesus you are saved for real. Who gets the "credit" for the choice you made? It's a simple question, no need for a paragraph about other unrelated topics. I'm not trying to "trick you into something", or bait you at all. I am agreeing that "we" make a choice, all I'm asking you is who gets the credit for that choice? I just want to know how you see it. BTW I truly appreciate the conversation, I think it's important for us to discuss these things among each other with respect as our King commanded. I just appreciate it.

I think the real problem here (as in this conversation in a general sense) is factions. Two opposing views, that are usually a simple difference in perspective and way of thinking about something, draw a line in the sand, label themselves, then build a strawman of what they thing EVERYONE with a different way of looking at something believes, then dig in attacking their own creation and never actually listen to the other side. Both sides do this to the shame of Jesus and to the detriment of the body.

An example, and I believe you're demonstrating it perfectly in this comment. Not in a bad way at all, but it's perfect for my point.
I have never read anything John Calvin has written, I've never attended a Calvinist Church, never studied his philosophy and I have certainly NEVER thought of myself as, nor called myself a Calvinist. Yet on CC I have been called and labeled that and firmly filed away as such. By no means am I saying that you have done any of those things at all, and I realize your comment was more towards the whole discussion here, but even in this comment I'm replying to I seem to be connected with Calvin.

I do understand why, I know my beliefs do tend to be on that side of the spectrum, so I know this assumption isn't unfounded at all, but it is not really my point here. My main point is the factions, it's no different than the world, and we are called tob be different, we are called to be known for our love for each other, and I see many of us doing a piss poor job of this sometimes, as always I have to call my hypocritical self out first for this, but I am praying to be better. I guess at this point I am more sharing my heart that addressing the OP so I'll let you go brother, and hope you have a blessed day. I do still want to know who you think gets credit for you decision for Christ.
Paul literally said :
To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

I believe this is our mission also . I give credit to the person who shared the Gospel with me ." How beautiful are the feet " ect . Today its the best ' thing I ever have done in my life . To trust on Christ . I wake up every day feeling this way .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

Thats Just Calvinism. No verse says that .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

I'd recommend anyone who hears the Gospel to Consider , to think , to change their mind and believe/ trust on Jesus . That He died for their sins . 1 cor 15 .1-4 .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
.. sure it is " by grace ye are saved and that not of yourselves .... lest any should boast"
The boasting there is not in relation to ' believing/ trusting the Gospel . Its about the law v Grace . You can't take that verse out of context and make it a verse that covers ' believing also . Thats not what the boasting is referring to . According to even Calvinism it requires a person to listen to someone telling them the gospel. They have to listen, pay attention ect ..

Mar 23, 2016
I dont know what you talking about. Did you understand my post ?
Yes, I understand your post. It appears by your response that you do not understand my question.

You stated:

it's not scriptural to make it [repentance] a condition for sinners to perform in order to get saved

I asked:

When a person does not reject the gospel, what did that person "perform in order to get saved"?

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Yes, I understand your post. It appears by your response that you do not understand my question.

You stated:

it's not scriptural to make it [repentance] a condition for sinners to perform in order to get saved

I asked:

Don't understand you. Jesus the Saviour gives repentance. I have explained this in detail.

Mar 23, 2016
reneweddaybyday said:
You stated:

I asked:

Don't understand you. Jesus the Saviour gives repentance. I have explained this in detail.
You have not explained how someone not rejecting the message of the gospel equals "making it a condition for sinners to perform in order to get saved".

When someone does not reject the message of the gospel, what does that person "perform in order to get saved"?

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
You have not explained how someone not rejecting the message of the gospel equals "making it a condition for sinners to perform in order to get saved".

When someone does not reject the message of the gospel, what does that person "perform in order to get saved"?
Dont know what you mean, God gives repentance and they repent. If God doesnt give repentance, they dont repent, simple as that

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Thats all I have been giving is scripture, God gives Repentance Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
The giving of repentance is meant to be a provision that does not negate a response. That repentance is a changed of mind is provided for all the Jews but not all Jews repented as in the context and not all Jews were given forgiveness of sins. The giving is not meant automatically given in the sense of possessing it automatically. It is juxtapose to “we ought rather to obey” meaning to have a response on what is being heard. “For to give” means “in order to deliver” the message of repentance about the Saviour, and forgiveness of sins which the Apostles were being warned of as in v. 28

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
The granting here is the “promise” not necessarily to mean “bestowal” or as a “gift”. The Gentiles were promised a thing of “repentance (changed mind) unto life”. The Gentiles were a part of Joel’s prophecy promising both Jews and Gentiles alike to “whosoever shall call” shall be saved. Joel 2:32; Rom. 10:13

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
2 Tim 2:25

25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
This is for sure a condition to instruction. It doesn’t say God give them repentance. God gives the acknowledging of the truth to those who will repent.