Request for KJ Bible Edition

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2009
Need assistance in selecting a classic KING JAMES edition of Bible as a gift for a friend who is an Academic. Not interested in a modern (ie - 20th century) language revised version, but rather a classic rendering of pure English. Please provide name of printer/publisher and source where I can purchase same. Years ago I heard Dick Cavet refer to such an edition on his TV program. He even quoted a few choice passages. Quite exquisite. Thank you in advance for any help you can render.

1still_waters

I don't know how original to the kjv you want to get.

The original KJV is actually VERY unreadable. I'm not referring to the KJV printed now days, I'm talking about one of the originals. This is OLD English. Hendrickson and others publish this kind. Make sure you look for a 1611 version if you're looking for the impossible to read version.
http://www.amazon.com/KJV-Bible-161...1625/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250547520&sr=8-1

For the other kinda KJV that's kinda hard to read, but still understandable, I'd suggest buying a leather bound one from Cambridge bible publishers. These are top of the line Bibles with nice leather, nice binding and stuff. They'll run ya from $40ish all the way up to around $300ish.

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Blac...7812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250547675&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Concord-Wide-...6987/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1250547675&sr=8-2

Another place that actually modifies these bibles is called Allan's Publishes. They actually put their own hand binding in them and their own leather. Some of them come with a hymnal attached. These are way pricier but nice.

http://www.bibles-direct.com/category.phtml?Category=24

No I don't work for amazon or allan's publishers. :p

Jan 31, 2009
I don't know how original to the kjv you want to get.

The original KJV is actually VERY unreadable. I'm not referring to the KJV printed now days, I'm talking about one of the originals. This is OLD English. Hendrickson and others publish this kind. Make sure you look for a 1611 version if you're looking for the impossible to read version.
http://www.amazon.com/KJV-Bible-161...1625/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250547520&sr=8-1

For the other kinda KJV that's kinda hard to read, but still understandable, I'd suggest buying a leather bound one from Cambridge bible publishers. These are top of the line Bibles with nice leather, nice binding and stuff. They'll run ya from $40ish all the way up to around $300ish.

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Blac...7812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250547675&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Concord-Wide-...6987/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1250547675&sr=8-2

Another place that actually modifies these bibles is called Allan's Publishes. They actually put their own hand binding in them and their own leather. Some of them come with a hymnal attached. These are way pricier but nice.

http://www.bibles-direct.com/category.phtml?Category=24

No I don't work for amazon or allan's publishers. :p
nelson publishes the 1611 edition in the orginal print, it includes the Apocrypha books

R

Rissa77

If it's accuracy you're looking for, I hear the New American Standard is the closest to the original Hebrew and Greek that you can get. I don't have it yet. It's my next Bible purchase. It's a challenging read, but it's more accurate than the KJV version.

Personally, I like the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I like word for word translations, but sometimes they can be too confusing. I like thought for thought translations, but sometimes they don't translate it quite like the author meant it to be read. I don't like paraphrases. They're story books, not Scripture in my eyes. The HCSB is a blend of word for word (like the KJV) and the thought for though (like the NIV). It uses word for word when understandable, and thought for thought when it's harder to understand.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
E-Sword: The Sword of the Lord with an Electronic Edge comes with KJV by default.. for free.. search online... can download other bibles aswell.

J

jgrig2

If it's accuracy you're looking for, I hear the New American Standard is the closest to the original Hebrew and Greek that you can get. I don't have it yet. It's my next Bible purchase. It's a challenging read, but it's more accurate than the KJV version.

Personally, I like the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I like word for word translations, but sometimes they can be too confusing. I like thought for thought translations, but sometimes they don't translate it quite like the author meant it to be read. I don't like paraphrases. They're story books, not Scripture in my eyes. The HCSB is a blend of word for word (like the KJV) and the thought for though (like the NIV). It uses word for word when understandable, and thought for thought when it's harder to understand.
ESV or NRSV are great.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
I think she is only looking for KJ in olde English. But I am with you jgrig2, ESV for me.

L

Lifelike

Need assistance in selecting a classic KING JAMES edition of Bible as a gift for a friend who is an Academic. Not interested in a modern (ie - 20th century) language revised version, but rather a classic rendering of pure English. Please provide name of printer/publisher and source where I can purchase same. Years ago I heard Dick Cavet refer to such an edition on his TV program. He even quoted a few choice passages. Quite exquisite. Thank you in advance for any help you can render.
not 100% sure i can help but the KJ version comes from the "Authorized Text" and Walter Veith (creationist) and Les Garrett (australian bible teacher) have done a lot of research into the translations and may be able to offer some help if you check into their websites, cheers, Tony

L

Lifelike

PS. only the transations that come from the "authorized text" are relaiable ie KJV, All of the other come from the Alexandrian texts out of egypt and have been corrupted, including the NIV. there are literally hundreds of very important verses that have been removed from the alexandrian texts, leaving a lot of the current modern translations quite weak in their messag. University professor and creationist Walter Veith has done extensive research into the topic and it is really quite shocking when u look at what scriptures have been removed. Also Australia Les Garett has some really good teaching on the subject. the translators Westcott and Hort that are behind the translations from the alexandrian texts that we get our modern versions from have some dark connections to serious new age founders and there is a plan of the enemy to corrupt and defile the word of god in these last days. walter veiths "amazing Discoveries" website is a real eye opener and worth a look. Peace.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
PS. only the transations that come from the "authorized text" are relaiable ie KJV, All of the other come from the Alexandrian texts out of egypt and have been corrupted, including the NIV. there are literally hundreds of very important verses that have been removed from the alexandrian texts, leaving a lot of the current modern translations quite weak in their messag. University professor and creationist Walter Veith has done extensive research into the topic and it is really quite shocking when u look at what scriptures have been removed. Also Australia Les Garett has some really good teaching on the subject. the translators Westcott and Hort that are behind the translations from the alexandrian texts that we get our modern versions from have some dark connections to serious new age founders and there is a plan of the enemy to corrupt and defile the word of god in these last days. walter veiths "amazing Discoveries" website is a real eye opener and worth a look. Peace.

????? Not sure you are correct there my friend.

R

Rissa77

.. uh huh.. and who says the KJV crew who translated the original text were all ppl of God? how would historians know if they were all truly saved and living for God? they don't.

and another thing.. God would only allow one english version on the earth to contain accurate scripture? i dare not believe it. children can't understand the KJV and neither can most adults. God wants His people to be able to read His word. He will make a way to get the correct version to His people - even through a corrupt system or corrupt ppl.

God works through sinners too. read your Bible. proof of that fact is in there. and if God's work could be stopped by the devil, we wouldn't exist now.

1still_waters

Let's remember the original poster was just asking for advice on where to get a KJV and such. No need to start a kjv only debate here.

Status
Not open for further replies.