Right to work

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SpoonJuly

I recently read where there is an issue on the ballot in Missouri to make that state a right to work state.
I have never been a member of a union nor dealt with one as a business owner.
My understand is that a person can be forced to join a union or at least pay dues to one just to work at certain jobs or business in states that do not have right to work laws.

Personally, I find it very wrong, as a Christian and American to force a person to join or support a union just to have a job, if he does not wish to.

What are your thoughts?

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
I agree with you. And as of today, so does the Supreme Court. :)
Yes, it did. Great news.

Supreme Court deals sharp defeat to public employee unions, banning mandatory fees
The Supreme Court dealt labor unions a sharp defeat Wednesday, ruling that teachers, police officers and other public employees cannot be forced to pay dues or fees to support their unions. LA TIMES June 27

When Verizon was hiring not that long ago a friend applied and got the job. Near the time when the current union contract was to expire the union as usual started making demands for the new one to take its place. Verizon didn't come to the negotiating table.

Near zero hour when the contract was near to expiring the union as usual told Verizon employees to go on strike. They did. Walking up and down the sidewalks in front of Verizon stores in my hometown and with their protest signs as they braved all manner of weather.
When the contract did expire Verizon had all those newly trained hires in the posts of the protesters. Alerting customers on the website of the transition. Warning there may be delays as the newbies got acclimated to their positions.

The union never saw it coming.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
On the other side of the coin, RTW employers also have the right to fire an employee for any reason or for no reason. Employees also have that same right for quitting a job, however employers have been accused of using that right as a means to discriminate - especially with age - without having to prove a reason for the firing. So, if a case goes to court, it doesn't move beyond a simple hearing because of the wording of the RTW law.

Aug 2, 2009
Unfortunately, today's ruling only applies to government unions and not those in the private sector. :( But I think someone just needs to bring a similar case from the private sector for it to become all-encompassing.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
On the other side of the coin, RTW employers also have the right to fire an employee for any reason or for no reason. Employees also have that same right for quitting a job, however employers have been accused of using that right as a means to discriminate - especially with age - without having to prove a reason for the firing. So, if a case goes to court, it doesn't move beyond a simple hearing because of the wording of the RTW law.
Right to discharge has always been in place in America due to the At-Will Employment policy that precedes this latest RTW ruling.