School is getting me down

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Ok prime example here me and two sisters ok hear me out. First sister very smart got all the praise got pushed hard to do well. She did she pushed as hard as she could it was long and hard for her. today she has a beautiful house on 8 acres. she has her husband two great danes. a corvette as a toy. And all the money she will ever need she went on to school to be a pharmacist and then continued even farther to get her masters in Business. She has traveled the world Europe Scotland etc... never has to worry about where her next meal is coming from or if her light bill will be shut off. other two sisters. Well both dropped out of school one had kids at a young age of 20 the other went on t o work yucky jobs. Now both struggling to make ends meet. worry about being able to pay bills. Now just trying to get that education our mother pushed so hard for. In our 40 we are doing what should have been done in the early 20 year old years. So lesson your mother is pushing you but it is so you do not fall later on. So it is for your own Good honestly. Take it from me you do not want to be 40 something trying to get a degree and going after good jobs that people in their 20's are going for chances are the younger one will steal it away from you. just some food for thought..

my older sister did okay in school and she really worked.

i excelled and barely cracked a book. :rolleyes:

when the report cards came home, mom would say to my older sister, why can't you be more like ellie? (yuk!)

oh, how i disliked that. it hardly made for good sibling relationship.

thank God, many years later, my sister forgave me and we're friends now, but all the sibling rivalry i can do without. :)

(i do get your point, it just reminded me of that, lol)

W

wwjd_kilden

I understand your frustration.

I was one of those who did reasonably well at school. ... and (especially at college), my friends were envious saying "it is so easy for you!" ... sure... it was "easier" for me than the people saying that because they opened their books the day before the exam while I spent hours after school every day of the school year, ... in order to get the same grades or maybe one grade above what they got....

If the US is anything like Norway, grades matter little once you start looking for jobs. (Obviously it isn't good if all the grades are barely above flunking .... but having overall good grades won't get a you a job either unless you have practical experience in whatever it is they want you to do).

Always do your best. Whatever "the world" says YOU will know YOU did your best .... and in a few years when you look back at this, that will be a comfort. Trust me.

No one can be great at everything. If there are subjects you struggle with, team up with someone who is a good at it, and just as importantly, who LIKES it ... it might rub off on you ... and motivation is always good :)

Fran123

May 21, 2016
I am at a really academic school and it's just not me. I am not the perfect young lady they expect and I hate all the yes ma'am no ma'am stuff. Mum expects A's and I don't get that many. So then I am in trouble.

W

wwjd_kilden

aah- I'd be in trouble as well then, I'd never say Ma'am to anyone other than in jest ...

Fran123

May 21, 2016
You have to be super polite all the time.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Well about being polite and respectful.. thats normal though isnt it lol If you get a job or school you gotta be on super business mode. I guess its a cultural thing but idk. Here in germany its normal that you speak in formal language to elders and people in charge.
Tho the As.. Id get lost right there LOL my Math exams were a C- and D- so nowhere even close to a A there

Fran123

May 21, 2016
I am polite, but school is so old fashioned. I just don't fit in there. But Mum loves it, and says it is doing me good.

D

Depleted

I am at a really academic school and it's just not me. I am not the perfect young lady they expect and I hate all the yes ma'am no ma'am stuff. Mum expects A's and I don't get that many. So then I am in trouble.
I get this. Several of my cousins were put into boarding schools because of the quality of the school. Oh, and the "quality" of their ability to buck like broncos. (My "not a lady" runs in my genes, even if they were mostly guys. lol)

So, okay. you don't like yessirring. Me either. Can you live with it anyway? Because it's not a bad thing. It will serve you well in the working world. (Not yessirring as much as learning how to show respect, even if you don't respect.)

Dad was tough to live with. We had to be quiet 24/7. When it was just my 5 year old brother and me at home, I remembered how we pulled it off when we (two older brothers) were his age. Mom chased us out the house to get our rembunction out of our system. We had friends. My brother didn't, since we were new to the neighborhood and bitter cold. A 5 year old ought to be allowed to be loud, so I made it my mission to get him loud for two hours, then calmed him down for the next half hour, in time to be quiet when Dad got home.

You don't like being ladylike and well-behaved? Find a place where you don't have to be to get it out of your system. (Bedroom? Basement? Somewhere near your home where you can scream and no one can hear you?) Then slouch, flick your skirt over your head (not if you're outside, because it gets cold, and you could get busted for being underdressed lol), and strut in front of your mirror to metalhead music, (do you even know what metalhead music anymore? Sorry, old reference, but I'm still stuck in the last century), pick your nose, scratch your butt, (no, really, scratch it long and hard, while sticking your tongue out as if it's the best feeling in the world lol), use sign language (not the real stuff, that which you can see drivers doing), say No a few times to imaginary scenarios where you couldn't possibly say it in public, or whatever else works. Get it out of your system where no one is looking. Where you do not offend anyone. Where you can't possibly be called on it.

And, if you can't do it that way, do what I do. Write. Write a story about someone you cannot be in a situation you can't get into. I can't enjoy nature too much anymore, so my novel is set where I can't go. You don't have to do it that way, but let writing help you escape to somewhere else. It begins to take on a part of your brain that no one enters but you.

Or read books to escape.

BUT, here's the catch. You still have to go back to what you have, so you have to limit your time. Like I said, I gave my little brother and I half an hour to get back to where we were always supposed to be. (Annoyingly quiet. lol)

Also. What is "I am in trouble?" There are different levels of trouble. I remember preferring to get spanked by Dad than endure a 90 minute lecture from Mom while sitting on a wooden chair. I'd rather have a bar of soap in my mouth for 5 seconds than either of those, so I tended to weigh how much trouble and is the cost worth the trouble. But then again, I don't know your definition of trouble.

M

missy2014

aah- I'd be in trouble as well then, I'd never say Ma'am to anyone other than in jest ...
the only mam or sir you get out of kiwis is for customer service it feels total foreign when I address
sometimes men as sir on here but I make myself do it . Yeh in NZ we should in customer service
otherwise its : HEY YOU yeh you umm (chews chewing gum ) what do want to order?oh
sweet as dude

M

missy2014

Well about being polite and respectful.. thats normal though isnt it lol If you get a job or school you gotta be on super business mode. I guess its a cultural thing but idk. Here in germany its normal that you speak in formal language to elders and people in charge.
Tho the As.. Id get lost right there LOL my Math exams were a C- and D- so nowhere even close to a A there
It is a Germany thing (respectful, polite) and other countries such as Israel? but unfortunately western countries like Usa, Canada , Aus,NZ its a different world and I know your American have lived on the mainland so youve experienced both while kiwis are known to be polite but unfortunately particularly among the youth I wont go into other cultures because these racial tension issues so I choose NZ euro im mostly NZ Euro- the white young guys can be pretty angry and really disrespectful if you get in some areas or even not some young men will call you a female dog hey..... as you walk down the street and your thinking "what have I done?" they hate you and if you try and correct them you risk them getting aggressive their really mean.
The white young girls are mean and nasty, fake and gossips. It actually tense racially between Maori and Pakeha (NZ Euros) it has historically so in sensitivity I just use my ethnicity as an example. Nz really needs Jesus.
Its common and I know this is true in the other countries I mentioned highschool students are arguing, swearing at teachers, boys making sexual gestures I know german youth are sinful too but its quite a contrast.

Last edited:

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Well the formal and informal speech is in bunches of other cultures tho.. Iran, Afghanistan,Saudi Arabia, France, Italy, Nigeria,... I dunno about Israel. Im sure they have formal speech as well.
I grew up being taught to show respect to others even if they arent nice. And to be honest, when I was in the USA it wasnt any different from here. You say '' Mrs/Mr X'' and adjust your language to your surrounding a bit. Ive never had a problem with teachers. Just again on Thursday our Religion teacher was standing with me and he talked to my friend and I about Skiing. He said that he never wore a helmet ever.
And I went '' Well if nothing can be damaged, then why protect it?" and he burst out in laughter yelling '' Demelza understood it!!'' and I was like ' yep, I got wisdom Sir" :p

Once again.. how you say things is important lol. And its not like you cant be polite and have fun :p
Of course you cannot make jokes like that with every teacher, but most if they know you and you decern their character , you can adjust yourself to it.
Just a lot of people nowadays (nothing against teens and Fran) are rebellious against doing the right thing and showing respect. When I hear ''old school'' I hear it in a positive sense though its negative as the respect from teens is dying out. Kids are rebelling against being respectful and doing what is right and ''modest'' in a sense.. oh well

It is a Germany thing (respectful, polite) and other countries such as Israel? but unfortunately western countries like Usa, Canada , Aus,NZ its a different world and I know your American have lived on the mainland so youve experienced both while kiwis are known to be polite but unfortunately particularly among the youth I wont go into other cultures because these racial tension issues so I choose NZ euro im mostly NZ Euro- the white young guys can be pretty angry and really disrespectful if you get in some areas or even not some young men will call you a female dog hey..... as you walk down the street and your thinking "what have I done?" they hate you and if you try and correct them you risk them getting aggressive their really mean.
The white young girls are mean and nasty, fake and gossips. It actually tense racially between Maori and Pakeha (NZ Euros) it has historically so in sensitivity I just use my ethnicity as an example. Nz really needs Jesus.
Its common and I know this is true in the other countries I mentioned highschool students are arguing, swearing at teachers, boys making sexual gestures I know german youth are sinful too but its quite a contrast.

Last edited:
M

missy2014

Modest thinks of modest thread and Adam and eve ...

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
I know you probably don't believe me and it probably won't help, but some day, you WILL miss it.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
LOL thats what I said after i had hell in the last year with teachers bullying,students and lawyer and all..but now I miss some of the good teachers soo bad lol especially the music one.

Fran123

May 21, 2016
It's better when my bff is there but she was off the whole last week.

D

Depleted

I really don't! Never have.

Sometimes the best we can do is "This too will pass." (Like a gallstone, but even they do pass. lol)

Fran123

May 21, 2016
Here I am, on holidays, doing maths :(

Fran123

May 21, 2016
Exactly. I had an hour of private tutoring at 9am (every non-holiday morning) then did an hour and a half of the work she set me.