Selfish

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

If this is a stupid question, please forgive me in advance.

I love anything about nutrition, health, exersize all that stuff, so im part of a group that focuses on living a healthier lifestyle. The group mainly consists of body builders personal trainers people like that.

The one thing in common that i hear most of them say is. It was my time to be selfish, it was time for me to focus on myself for a change. (they were saying this in relation to how they got in their profession of becoming body builders, personal trainers, because they wanted to make a lifestyle change)

I have no idea what to think of that. If your vastly overweight, a chain smoker, alcoholic, any of those things, i mean is it wrong, to say ok instead of focusing on everyone else, im gonna focus on myself to get my problem under control..Is it possible to focus on yourself god and everyone else??? Is it wrong to ever be selfish??? is there ever a time where its appropriate and inappropriate??

Thank you for reading.... and i do hope you all get what im talkin about here..

1still_waters

I think in general women{moms, wives} have so many family cares, that they forget that they need to take care of themself too.

I don't think that statement is calling for some kind of gluttonous, self absorbed mindset. Rather it's about saying, "Hey I gotta take care of myself too."

C

Credo_ut_Intelligam

I'd want to get behind the word "selfish" and find out exactly what the people mean when they talk about "my time to be selfish."

Do they simply mean that they are doing it for no other reason than that they want to? In that sense, we do tons of "selfish" things every day. What we choose to eat, for instance. What we choose to wear, for instance. What path we choose to drive to arrive at some destination, for instance. What movie to watch, for instance. etc. etc. etc. I don't think anyone would argue that these are bad acts of "selfishness" (if we want to use the term neutrally). So I don't see why staying healthy would be one of those things which we shouldn't do, simply because we want to.

On the other hand, do they mean that they are doing it knowing it will interfere with other obligations? Is the person dropping out of their feed-the-homeless program because they want "time to be selfish"?? That looks like an instance of bad selfishness. Are they not spending time playing with and or teaching their kids in the evening because they want to be "selfish"? Again, this looks like a bad thing.

Nevertheless, whether or not it is okay to be selfish on occasion, one doesn't need a selfish motivation to get in shape or be healthy. So even if a person can't settle whether it is right or wrong to take some "me time" to get healthy, they shouldn't let that stop them from getting healthy or fit. Some of these non-selfish motivations might be: God has given us a body and we want to be good stewards of it, a healthy body means a healthy mind (roughly... and of course we would have to have unselfish motives for wanting a healthy mind), a healthy body will help us perform our life-vocation more effectively for (Lord willing) a longer period of time, etc. And if a person can't decide whether their motivations are selfish (in a bad sense) or not selfish they shouldn't worry about that either. We all have a mixture of good and bad motivations in virtually everything we do. Just do it with the motivation that you want better motivations and that's good enough.

J

jimmydiggs

I read OP, but I skimmed the responses, so something like this may have been said before.

Specifically on the God Vs. others issue, I suppose one way of looking at it would be sort of like a fireman having to rescue people from a burning building. If the fireman isn't watching out for the dangers against him, he could end up in as much trouble, and then the rescuer, would be the rescuee. Just a thought that came to mind.

PreTribGuy

Staff member
Nov 7, 2009

I love anything about nutrition, health, exersize all that stuff, so im part of a group that focuses on living a healthier lifestyle. The group mainly consists of body builders personal trainers people like that.

snipped...the rest
How about this verse (emphasis is mine):
1 Tim 4:8 [SIZE=+0]For[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] bodily[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] exercise[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] profiteth[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] LITTLE[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]: but[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] godliness[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] is[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] profitable[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] unto[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] all things[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], having[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] promise[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] of the life[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] that now is[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], and[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] of that which is to come[/SIZE][SIZE=+0].

Also, there is a good passage in Col. 2:16+ that talks about this.
[/SIZE]

L

Lalilo

How about this verse (emphasis is mine):
1 Tim 4:8 [SIZE=+0]For[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] bodily[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] exercise[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] profiteth[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] LITTLE[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]: but[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] godliness[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] is[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] profitable[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] unto[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] all things[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], having[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] promise[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] of the life[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] that now is[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], and[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] of that which is to come[/SIZE][SIZE=+0].
[/SIZE]
Thanks for quoting that, because I believe there is something about how our bodies work and Godliness that mankind does not understand yet. The scientist just admitted Love has a positive affect in curing sick people.

T

thimsrebma

I think some people that say those things may have had some serious body image issues, where they fealt they need to shut everyone else off in order to focus on this one thing. I understand working out and working for a specific result which takes a lot of hard work and time, but when you have a sole focus such as body building it detracts from the rest of your life.

I dont think it is ever okay to be selfish. Taking a day or even a week away from everybody and thing, in order to rejuvinate yourself from the daily rigors of life is one thing, but when you decide that for this many months or this many years I am only going to focus on this one thing, you may have a problem. Life is a balancing act. We have to balance work, school, family, hobbies, etc. all while serving God in the way he would have us (which can vary in different times of our lives.)

V

vagabond

Credo_ut_Intelligam, excellent answer!!!

We should ask ourselves at every action how do we serve our Lord. Most bodybuilders i've known do this because they like the fame and money. Health is way out of question as they swallow pills and inject themselves with medicine. I think training in a normal way to keep strong and healthy is ok. Who knows maybe others can benefit out of your strength. People ask me all the time to help out with some hard work whether it is just to carry something heavy, help them move (change of residents) or even stay up late for some reason, which some physical endurance is required for as well, if you consider that i got to work the next day.

M

MaggieMye

It's because people DO focus on themselves that they get out of shape in the first place: They feel bad so they eat, smoke, drink, whatever and then they feel worse and so do more. It is cyclical. The whole "I'm going to be all about me" is a nasty cultural misconception that tells people that if they focus on themselves, they will be come happy and content. It is a lie. Scripture tells us to keep our eyes on JESUS for HE is the one in whom we find life, and fullfillment and JOY!
Maggie

May 21, 2009
Some people get obsessed with themselves.

Don't say your comments are stupid. Never put yourself down.

S

sensitive

How many times have you heard the stories of did you hear about so and so, well the other day so and so dropped dead from a heart attack! Then you find out so and so went to the gym every day, had no body fat, ate right, had perfect cholesterol levels, the whole kitten ka boodle and yet they still dropped dead! So who knows? If your conscience is telling you that you are being selfish then listen to your conscience. satan is not going to tell you that you are being selfish.

L

lordsservant121

I would say it's time to be selfish if you are not with GOD. You need to do that for yourself and your salvation. After you have GOD in your life, then your life belongs to HIM and you should start living for other people. As Jesus said in Matthew 20:28 "...just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many." But I say that as a chubby guy who loves his Oreos and Cheetos and has selfish times with them, so take it with a grain of sand and all that.

Jun 20, 2010

The one thing in common that i hear most of them say is. It was my time to be selfish, it was time for me to focus on myself for a change. (they were saying this in relation to how they got in their profession of becoming body builders, personal trainers, because they wanted to make a lifestyle change)

I have no idea what to think of that. If your vastly overweight, a chain smoker, alcoholic, any of those things, i mean is it wrong, to say ok instead of focusing on everyone else, im gonna focus on myself to get my problem under control..Is it possible to focus on yourself god and everyone else??? Is it wrong to ever be selfish??? is there ever a time where its appropriate and inappropriate??

Thank you for reading.... and i do hope you all get what im talkin about here..
I'm all for fitness, but there is a certain place where it goes to far. I think people need a perfect balance.

For physical training is of some value (useful for a little), but godliness (spiritual training) is useful and of value in everything and in every way, for it holds promise for the present life and also for the life which is to come. AMP 1 Timothy 4:8