SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF SYMBOLISM IN THE BIBLE - WHAT DOES IT MEAN????

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Hello MarcR,

Just as with everything, the meaning is dependent upon the context. That said, the mention of a fig tree is not always referring to Israel. Below is a scripture that is popularly believed to represent Israel becoming a nation in 1948:

"Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its branches become tender and sprout leaves, you know that summer is near."

Below is Luke's version of the same scripture:

"Then Jesus told them a parable: “Look at the fig tree and all the trees. When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near."

If the fig tree sprouting new leaves represents Israel becoming a nation, then in keeping with the parable, the blossoming of "all the trees" would have to represent a literal event as well.

The fig tree blossoming and representing Israel as becoming a nation is simply applied because Israel was used symbolically elsewhere in scripture as the fig tree. It doesn't mean that every time the words "fig tree" is mentioned that it is referring to Israel. We could do the same thing with the event of when Jesus cursed the fig tree causing it to wither, but again it would just be a personal application based on the fact that the fig tree was used to represent Israel in another scripture.

In the case of the fig tree and all the trees blossoming, it is simply being used as a comparison:

Fig tree and all the trees blossoming = Summer is near

The signs that Jesus mentions = End of the age is near
Luke, as a Macedonian, might understandably have missed the significance of the fig tree.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Hi everyone,

I promised more my beliefs on the state of the dead. Here we go:

Now I will bring up the state of the dead. I will probably lose many Christians at this point, but I don’t write to please people. Are our dead forefathers, and other loved ones, dwelling in “heaven” at this time? Jesus said: “And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but He that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven” (John 3:13). But many say that Christ opened the graves after the crucifixion. I point you to the faith chapter of Hebrews 11. It tells us of how the patriarchs of old have not ascended to heaven. “And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.” (Hebrews 11:39,40). Mind you, this was written after the crucifixion.

I urge you to also read the whole chapter of I Corinthians 15, but note especially the following verses: “But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at His coming(I Corinthians 15:20-23). Also consider the following: “But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent [Gr. precede] them which are asleep. But every man in his own order; Christ the first fruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at His coming: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: And so shall we ever be with the Lord” (I Thessalonians 4:13-17). So are our loved ones already with Christ? If they have to be resurrected at His coming—they must not be. I believe our lost loved ones are asleep; they have no awareness of time. Somehow God preserves our spirits for a future resurrection. We don’t know exactly how He does this, but we don’t know many things.

Some believe that if we meet the Lord in the air, that we will ever be in the air or heaven. The Bible doesn’t say that, it says we will ever be with the Lord. Remember, heaven is wherever God is. Once we meet the Lord we shall return to the earth: “And they sung a new song, saying, thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof; for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; and hast made us unto our God kings and priests; and we shall reign on the earth” (Revelation 5:9,10). Even though we are on the earth, we will be in the heavenly realm. We will be spirits, just as God is.

Yours,

Deade

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I point you to the faith chapter of Hebrews 11. It tells us of how the patriarchs of old have not ascended to heaven. “And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.” (Hebrews 11:39,40). Mind you, this was written after the crucifixion.
Had you continued reading all of chapter 12 you would not have jumped to this conclusion. All the patriarchs of old as well as all those who believed God are now in Heaven -- to be precise in the New Jerusalem, and they are called "the spirits of just [justified] men made perfect".

22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. (Hebrews 12:22-24)

So it looks like you will have to go back to square one and revise your ideas about the saints in heaven. You have a very serious misunderstanding about the whole subject.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Luke, as a Macedonian, might understandably have missed the significance of the fig tree.
All scripture is God-breathed. What Luke wrote through the Holy Spirit gives us a little more detail. The addition of the blossoming of "all the trees" along with the fig tree, demonstrates that it is only a comparison. Now, if the addition of "all the trees" was not there, then it would strengthen the claim. As it is, it weakens that claim.

Blossoming of the fig trees and all the trees = Summer is near

Signs (all those things taking place) = The end of the age is near

The interpretation that the fig tree blossoming represents Israel becoming a nation in 1948 is subjective and conjecture. It is simply implied. I don't doubt that Israel once again becoming a nation as being insignificant. I just don't believe that the previously stated scripture is figuratively referring to that event.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017
All scripture is God-breathed. What Luke wrote through the Holy Spirit gives us a little more detail. The addition of the blossoming of "all the trees" along with the fig tree, demonstrates that it is only a comparison. Now, if the addition of "all the trees" was not there, then it would strengthen the claim. As it is, it weakens that claim.

The interpretation that the fig tree blossoming represents Israel becoming a nation in 1948 is subjective and conjecture. It is simply implied. I don't doubt that Israel once again becoming a nation as being insignificant. I just don't believe that the previously stated scripture is figuratively referring to that event.
Signs (all those things taking place) = The end of the Jewish age is near.

Mar 28, 2016
Better than the symbolism God uses in his parables to hide His spiritul truth from those who have not the Spirit of Christ so that in the end of the matter we might walk by faith in respect to a law of His faith. How better?

Whose symbolism are you refereeing to the Aztecs? There are many langues that signify that in view as a parable

nddreamer

Aug 31, 2017
Sometimes the fig tree is just a fig tree. "Hab.3:17 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls" is a better example of the fig tree and other symbolism representing Israel.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
The Fig Tree and its leaves represents human efforts to cover sin. The first mention is in Genesis. Jesus cursed a fig tree that only had leaves and no fruit which was a representation of Israels spiritual condition.

There is something called the rule of first mention for the Bible. If someone or something is used as a symbol in one place it continues to mean that symbol throughout the rest of scripture.

Another symbol is the Sun Moon and Stars. In the story of Joseph they represent his father Mother and Brothers. In many places they represent Human and Spiritual dignitaries.

Clouds are used to represent Gods presence and Judgement. In fact many things in nature are used as symbols such as Plants Animals mountains and Hills. We have to be careful to study the context in which things appear because otherwise everything gets confusing

Mar 28, 2016
The fig tree is a biblical symbol of the born again Israel. Seeing if any man has not the Spirit of Christ,the anointing Holy Spirit of God they do not belong to Him. Not all Israel is Israel .Just as not all Christians are Christian the new name God named his people at the time of reformation.

Fig leaves,the temporal are used as a ceremonial shadow in anticipation of the unseen fruit. (the meat or food of Christ's will)

The fruit symbolizes the will of God. Because the time of reformation had come and the previous time period that was used as a parable up until then it use had to and end.............. cut off never again to be used forever more..

The fig tree is a biblical symbol of the born again Israel. Seeing if any man has not the Spirit of Christ the anointing Holy Spirit of God they do not belong to Him. Not all Israel is Israel .Just as not all Christians are Christian the new name God named his people at the time of reformation.

Fig leaves, the temporal are used as a ceremonial shadow in anticipation of the unseen fruit.
The fruit symbolizes the will of God. Because the time of reformation had come and the previous time period that was used as a parable up until then had to and end, cut off.

The tree is cut off just as in the same way the sacrifices and everything that pertained to the suffering of Christ beforehand .
The outward Jew in respect to his corruptible flesh had met its requirement. We are to look no more for anything as part of the gospel as a shadow of Jewish flesh. The veil is rent .Those who are looking for the veil to be reinstalled are identified as antichrist’s regardless of what nation they hope might have some influence.

Matthew 21:19 And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.

No fruit forever more or never to be used as a metaphor.

The tree is cut off just as in the same way the sacrifices and everything that pertained to the suffering of Christ beforehand. Ceremonial laws do not make a good covering. Adam and Eve found out when they tried to use a leaf to cover their as it seems new found fruit . .

The outward Jew in respect to his corruptible flesh had met its requirement. We are to look no more for anything as part of the gospel as a shadow of Jewish flesh. The veil is rent .Those who are looking for the veil to be reinstalled are identified as anti-christs.

It all seems to center around the reformation . Some would say what reformation ? They offer that as if the veil was not rent. And the fig tree when Christ said it is finished was now cut off from its use in parables.

Which was a figure (parable) for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. Heb 9:9

Mar 28, 2016
The Sun and moon where set in the heavens as time keepers as well as for seasons. Time is necessary to fulfill the timely prophetic promises to prove God .

Psa 72:5 They shall fear thee as long as the sun and moon endure, throughout all generations.

In the new heavens and earth there will be no need of the temporal time keepers.

Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

The time keepers will be under the feet of His chaste virgin bride, the church. As His eternal wife or bride she is clothed with the righteous of her husband as the kind of representative glory on a hill or high mountain.

And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal; Rev 21:9

Upon the head of his chaste virgin bride who has not violated the warning to not fornicate with other gods before her.(1 st commandment)

His chaste virgin bride is revealed below. She as nothing to do with the flesh of any nation.

Revelation 12:1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

His bride the church is wearing the victor crown of her husband with twelve to represent the authority of God as stars (believers) to indicate all who will not be found with a righteousness of their own . She is reckoned as the mother of us all.

The mother spoken of in Gen 27:29 with Josef does not pertain to the flesh..Some do glory in the flesh even though Christ said of His own it profits for nothing. We walk by faith the unseen Spirit of God.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Had you continued reading all of chapter 12 you would not have jumped to this conclusion. All the patriarchs of old as well as all those who believed God are now in Heaven -- to be precise in the New Jerusalem, and they are called "the spirits of just [justified] men made perfect".

22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. (Hebrews 12:22-24)

So it looks like you will have to go back to square one and revise your ideas about the saints in heaven. You have a very serious misunderstanding about the whole subject.
Nice try Nehemiah6,

Paul was talking to living/breathing humans. They were still on earth. They were the Jews that understood the symbolism of Zion, the sprinkling, etc. This still does not negate what was said in Ch. 11.

Yours,

Deade

Enoch987

Jul 13, 2017
2 can mean tormenting by Satan. 3 means victory. 4 means testing, 5 is Spirit. 6 is war. 7 is Jesus. 8 is God. 9 is the last. 1 is the first.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015

The figure has been used both in Scripture and in secular literature since the time of Jeremiah. Your not recognizing the figure doesn't change it. If the figure were not well established before Mat 24, I agree there would be no basis to make that connection. However the figure by the time of Mat 24 is historical fact. Similarly the Bald Eagle is a figure of the United States.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Nice try Nehemiah6,

Paul was talking to living/breathing humans. They were still on earth.

How could those who were in the New Jerusalem be "still on earth"? Do you see the absurdity of that idea? So back to square one.