SHOULD A NEW CHRISTIAN BE REQUIRED TO DIVORCE HIS WIFE IF IMPROPERLY DIVORCED ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

WOULD GOD REQUIRE A NEWLY SAVED COUPLE TO DIVORCE IN THE SITUATION DESCRIBED?

• YES, GOD WOULD EXPECT THE NEWLY SAVED COUPLE TO DIVORCE IN THE DESCRIBED SITUATION AND THEY ARE LIVI

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • NO, GOD WOULD NOT EXPECT THE NEWLY SAVED COUPLE TO BE DIVORCED IN THE DESCRIBED SITUATION AND THEY A

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
Feb 1, 2014
I belonged to a kooky cult as a young man, the Armstrongites.

One of their requirements was that, if you became saved, you needed to divorce your wife, if either of you were "improperly divorced" by the standards of Matthew 19, and you are not able to remarry.

The idea is that you are living in continual adultery in this circumstance.

So, if your wife divorced an abusive husband prior to salvation, and you married her, prior to salvation, you are required to divorce her. Even if there is an intact family and children.

Matthew 19:1-12

19 Now when Jesus had finished these sayings, he went away from Galilee and entered the region of Judea beyond the Jordan. [SUP]2 [/SUP]And large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?” [SUP]4 [/SUP]He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, [SUP]5 [/SUP]and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? [SUP]6 [/SUP]So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” [SUP]7 [/SUP]They said to him, “Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?” [SUP]8 [/SUP]He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. [SUP]9 [/SUP]And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”[SUP][a][/SUP]
[SUP]10 [/SUP]The disciples said to him, “If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.” [SUP]11 [/SUP]But he said to them, “Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given. [SUP]12 [/SUP]For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.”

Now, if one is a strict legalist, with absolutely no room for mercy, then I can see why they may hold this view.

However, do we really think this is what Christ would want, and that the act of adultery is continual?

And, should an intact marriage be severed?

Now, they will claim there is no marriage, and that both parties are living in perpetual adultery.

What do you think?

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016

One of their requirements was that, if you became saved, you needed to divorce your wife, if either of you were "improperly divorced" by the standards of Matthew 19, and you are not able to remarry.

So, if your wife divorced an abusive husband prior to salvation, and you married her, prior to salvation, you are required to divorce her. Even if there is an intact family and children.

19 Now when Jesus had finished these sayings, he went away from Galilee and entered the region of Judea beyond the Jordan. [SUP]2 [/SUP]And large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?” [SUP]4 [/SUP]He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, [SUP]5 [/SUP]and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? [SUP]6 [/SUP]So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” [SUP]7 [/SUP]They said to him, “Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?” [SUP]8 [/SUP]He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. [SUP]9 [/SUP]And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”[SUP][a][/SUP]
[SUP]10 [/SUP]The disciples said to him, “If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.” [SUP]11 [/SUP]But he said to them, “Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given. [SUP]12 [/SUP]For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.”

Now, if one is a strict legalist, with absolutely no room for mercy, then I can see why they may hold this view.

However, do we really think this is what Christ would want, and that the act of adultery is continual?

Now, they will claim there is no marriage, and that both parties are living in perpetual adultery.

What do you think?
Perhaps, it's just adultery when the two have sexual relations.

Feb 1, 2014
I should add that even the Armstrongite kooks don't believe that anymore. They changed their position on that when the leader of the cult wanted to marry a divorced woman.

Since coming on this site, though, I've found other Christians who believe this.

I'd also like to add that I respect the institute of marriage and that divorce should be a last resort after all has failed. It should never be a light decision.

A marriage prior to salvation, especially if there's an intact family involved, seem to merit additional consideration to me.

Last edited:

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Christ has forgiven you already...

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I should add that even the Armstrongite kooks don't believe that anymore. They changed their position on that when the leader of the cult wanted to marry a divorced woman.

Since coming on this site, though, I've found other Christians who believe this.

I'd also like to add that I respect the institute of marriage and that divorce should be a last resort after all has failed. It should never be a light decision.

A marriage prior to salvation, especially if there's an intact family involved, seem to merit additional consideration to me.
What about divorce after salvation, and marriage? Would God see that as continued adultery, and require separation?

Z

Zi

Idk because like the example of Nicodemus, he then made all his prior wrongs right. He didn't just take lightly the gift given him.

Abusive relationship, I wouldn't stay in but then idk if I'd get remarried either.

With kids being involved, that would be tough.

Others may see it differently and that's fine..

Ezekiel8

Oct 26, 2017
That is kind of a confusing one to follow.

Is the claim that divorce and remarriage is adultery?

Or

Is the claim that if you are married before you convert, that is adultery and you must divorce?

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Jesus did say that to marry a woman who divorced her husband, except for adultery, is adultery. I would think God's word applies to everyone, not just Christians.

It's something interesting to examine.

I know we would want to assume God doesn't want these marriages broken up, but the bible indicates that this situation would be adultery.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Idk because like the example of Nicodemus, he then made all his prior wrongs right. He didn't just take lightly the gift given him.

Abusive relationship, I wouldn't stay in but then idk if I'd get remarried either.

With kids being involved, that would be tough.

Others may see it differently and that's fine..
1 Corinthians says don't divorce, but if you do, one must remain single, or reconcile. It also says if your spouse leaves, your not liable to the law.

I can see why God commands this.... broken families are negative to a society.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

What do you think?
I think that these Armstrongites are nuttier than a fruitcake. No, God would not require the newly save couple to divorce because of a technicality.

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
Hey Spark
I dislike answering a question with another question . I think it needs to be asked though. Was the first marriage even valid?
If the parties in the first marriage were not believers. Did they make the comment before God ? Or did they place their faith in the government as the authority that they swore too . If we go down the road that man’s government has this authority thru God then what about gay marriage? I see this as a larger can of worms than just what is stated in the op . If we go down that road . So my answer would be no in a strict legal sense or a broad view of the subject.
I hope you get what I am driving at .
Blessings
Bill

P

pottersclay

Marriage is a far more deeper relationship than to be considered a legal consenting couple. Some people enter in with the idea that if it doesn't work out I can divorce. Spousal abuse and adultry I consider should be the only grounds of divorce. I think that is what scripture is trying to convey.
Paul says it would be better if one would not marry , as is would be easier to serve the Lord.
Remembering also in some cultures the marriage is arranged, this can get into a endless discussion.
Bottom line is marry for the right reasons because divorce comes with consequences.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Most of the statements Jesus made of this sort were made to show the absurdity of the Pharisaic interpretation of the Law.

While Jesus' statement that only adultery is proper grounds for divorce is God's ideal; when people divorce due to abuse, abandonment, or non-support I believe compassion should outweigh strict legal interpretation if Salvation by grace has any meaning.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Jesus made it clear that if ones partner commits adultery then a person is then free to divorce them...

Now in the example you started this thread with.. An abusive partner is not a Biblical justification for divorce.. A person is justified in separating from that abusive person.. But a couple can be living separately and still be married and not committing adultery.. So in the case the couples marriage would never have been accepted before God.. So how can you say they need to divorce? Divorce can only be carried out when the two are married and if their marriage is not recognized by God then there is no need for them to divorce.. All they need do is separate..

Now having said that if they then went and investigated the former husband of the wife and found him shacked up with another woman and the former husband is having sexual relations with his new woman then once that is established then she has Biblical grounds for divorce and thus her divorce from him would now be official.. Thus you could then re-marry the woman and live with her as husband and wife without any problem before God..

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
All I have read in the Word about what is called "divorce" today is when a man puts away his wife. I imagine, since with our Father there are no distinctions, this does also apply for a woman doing the same if necessary.

In the meantime, do not judge by appearances but with right judgment.......it does not matter what others think, it is a clear conscience in the sight of our Father only that counts......