Should I go or should I stay?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DWR

This is about me and a real concern about false teachers.
It is my opinion that many false teachers ( anyone that teaches contrary to Scripture) use this forum to lead many from the truth.
While the mods often ban some false teachers, many/most are allowed to remain.
I am finding it very difficult to be a part of this forum when these false teachers are allowed to continue.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
My first question would be, have you reported these "false teachers" (individual posts that clearly document their heresy, not a general profile report saying this user is promoting heresy)?

Second, do these users meet the criteria of heresy (see this post)?

I regularly state this, this site operates on a minimal budget with predominantly volunteer staff which means that it is impossible for this site to review every single post in every thread. We rely on users reporting heresy.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
better here than in the world....

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
It is my opinion that many false teachers ( anyone that teaches contrary to Scripture) use this forum to lead many from the truth.
I am finding it very difficult to be a part of this forum when these false teachers are allowed to continue.
I think the term, false teacher, may be construed as subjective per the individual levying the charge.

For Monotheists,Tritheism is a false teaching. For JW's those who talk about Immanuel being God, The Word, made flesh, is a false teaching and so forth.

Maybe, rather than seeing false teachers through your personal faith lense, you might consider the opportunity you're affording yourself by that judgement of others.
Study the scriptures to show thyself approved. Test the spirits to find the truth.

I think when we're in Christ and he's in us, FT's aren't to be feared. They're to be appreciated for testing our metal.

Just my two cents.

D

DWR

My first question would be, have you reported these "false teachers" (individual posts that clearly document their heresy, not a general profile report saying this user is promoting heresy)?

Second, do these users meet the criteria of heresy (see this post)?

I regularly state this, this site operates on a minimal budget with predominantly volunteer staff which means that it is impossible for this site to review every single post in every thread. We rely on users reporting heresy.
Thanks for your reply.

In my opinion your criteria for heresy is too limited.
This is your forum and it is not for me to have any say in what is accepted and what is not.
Just do not know what I will do yet. Go or stay.

It is whether I choose to just deal with what I see as heresy freely taught or to leave.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
This is about me and a real concern about false teachers. It is my opinion that many false teachers
(anyone that teaches contrary to Scripture) use this forum to lead many from the truth. While the mods often ban some false teachers, many/most are allowed to remain. I am finding it very difficult to be a part of this forum when these false teachers are allowed to continue.
Hello DWR, if you are new to (or young in) the faith, I believe that your principle ministry is to sit at the Lord's feet and become more knowledgeable/gain more understanding about God, the Bible, and the faith, both for your sake and for the sake of others too (remember that even the Apostle Paul spent 3 years with the Lord before beginning his principle ministries .. see too Luke 10:38-42). So, choosing to enter into debates with false teachers, if this is the case, may not be advisable, except by a very specific leading of the Spirit, of course.

If you are mature in the faith however, then why not choose to be a blessing here at CChat (to the false teachers and, perhaps even more importantly, to everyone else who reads what they have to say) by praying for them and helping them see why/how their beliefs/teachings are contrary to the truth that is found in God's word/how they are leading people away from the faith instead of towards it :unsure:

As you probably know, no one argues a point more aggressively/continuously than false teachers do out here in this world of online Christendom, but you can always bow out of a thread gracefully (by agreeing to disagree, or simply by leaving it) if you feel like you've come to an impasse of some kind, feel that you've said what needed to be said, etc., as you feel the HS is leading you to do.

God bless you!

~Deut

Attachments

D

DWR

Hello DWR, if you are new to (or young in) the faith, I believe that your principle ministry is to sit at the Lord's feet and become more knowledgeable/gain more understanding about God, the Bible, and the faith, both for your sake and for the sake of others too (remember that even the Apostle Paul spent 3 years with the Lord before beginning his principle ministries .. see too Luke 10:38-42). So, choosing to enter into debates with false teachers, if this is the case, may not be advisable, except by a very specific leading of the Spirit, of course.

If you are mature in the faith however, then why not choose to be a blessing here at CChat (to the false teachers and, perhaps even more importantly, to everyone else who reads what they have to say) by praying for them and helping them see why/how their beliefs/teachings are contrary to the truth that is found in God's word/how they are leading people away from the faith instead of towards it :unsure:

As you probably know, no one argues a point more aggressively/continuously than false teachers do out here in this world of online Christendom, but you can always bow out of a thread gracefully (by agreeing to disagree, or simply by leaving it) if you feel like you've come to an impasse of some kind, feel that you've said what needed to be said, etc., as you feel the HS is leading you to do.

God bless you!

~Deut

Thanks for the post.
I am 77 years old. Been a child of God and a student of the Scripture for 59 years.
You are correct. False teachers seem to be the loudest in the room and have a way with words.
Some of those I have confronted have simply put me on ignore.
I believe it is not the owners or mods of this forum desire to give these people a platform to spread their heresy, but I believe these false teachers are taking advantage of what I believe is a very lax definition of heresy.
It is what it is. I will soon decide.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Whoops, I meant to include a link to Luke 10:38-42 (in post #6 above), but here is the passage instead.

Luke 10
38 As they went on their way, Jesus entered a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed Him as a guest.

39 She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what He said.
40 But Martha was distracted with all of the preparations that she had to make, so she came up to Him and said, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do all of the work alone? Tell her to help me.”
41 But the Lord answered her saying, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things,
42 but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the best part, and it will not be taken away from her.”

~Deut

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Thanks for the post.
I am 77 years old. Been a child of God and a student of the Scripture for 59 years.
You are correct. False teachers seem to be the loudest in the room and have a way with words.
Some of those I have confronted have simply put me on ignore.
I believe it is not the owners or mods of this forum desire to give these people a platform to spread their heresy, but I believe these false teachers are taking advantage of what I believe is a very lax definition of heresy.
It is what it is. I will soon decide.
Hello again DWR, while I certainly understand what you are saying, I also hope that you'll choose to remain among us :) Perhaps taking a vacation from posting for awhile in in order? (it has worked for me several times in the past :) .. I've been part of this crazy online Christian world for more than two decades now :oops:).

Praying for you!

God bless you!!

~Deut

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Thanks for your reply.

In my opinion your criteria for heresy is too limited.
This is your forum and it is not for me to have any say in what is accepted and what is not.
Just do not know what I will do yet. Go or stay.

It is whether I choose to just deal with what I see as heresy freely taught or to leave.
These forums are for conversing. Sometimes, that means debating. I would respond to their posts and challenge them.

D

DWR

These forums are for conversing. Sometimes, that means debating. I would respond to their posts and challenge them.
But here is the problem.
Certain heresy is not allowed to be conversed and debated while others are.

Think I will leave now.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
But here is the problem.

Think I will leave now.
Hmm.. wish you'd had been more specific. But okay.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
But here is the problem.

Think I will leave now.
I for one would like you to state what heresy you are talking about?

Since you keep your profile private, we can’t see what red x you have received.

I scanned your last few posts, and who YOU call false teachers, and although I think I’m on pretty much your side on issues, the stuff you are calling heresy has been routinely debated for many yrs.

Losing your salvation for instance.

You believe you you cannot. I agree, but there are many who think you can. I haven’t seen that position listed as a heresy here.

Different denominations have debated these issues for centuries.

Why wouldn’t you merely state your position and let the Holy Spirit take over?

Kinda childish to threaten to leave if people don’t see everything your way.

D

DWR

I scanned your last few posts, and who YOU call false teachers, and although I think I’m on pretty much your side on issues, the stuff you are calling heresy has been routinely debated for many yrs.

You believe you you cannot. I agree, but there are many who think you can. I haven’t seen that position listed as a heresy here.

To teach that one can lose their salvation is heresy.
To teach that baptism or any other works are necessary for salvation is heresy.
This forum allows that heresy to be taught and that really bothers me because we are talking about a persons eternity.
I would never stay in a church or bible study that allows this to be done and I am having a difficult time being a part of a forum that allows it. Now if you think that is childish, so be it.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
This forum allows that heresy to be taught and that really bothers me because we are talking about a persons eternity.
I would never stay in a church or bible study that allows this to be done and I am having a difficult time being a part of a forum that allows it. Now if you think that is childish, so be it.
This is not a church. This is an open forum for Christians of various denominations. Perhaps you need to seek out a forum dedicated to a specific sect.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Just as a digression, but The Clash, a UK punk group, released a single (in 1982) "Should I stay or should I go" (from the album "Combat Rock, released 1981), so you're not the first in such a dilemma (although they have it the other way around)...

(It was a double A-sided single alongside "Straight to hell.")

But hay-ho!

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ

Yes. There's heresy -- deviation from core issues, like Jesus not being God in the flesh, e.g. -- and then there's simple difference of opinion, like post-trib or pre-trib rapture.

Whatever. As Nancy Pelosi said, people are going to do what they're going to do :ROFL::LOL::LOL::ROFL:

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
What do you do when you encounter it IRL?

If you leave, will it allow such things to flourish even more?

If you stay, will it allow for a greater positive influence concerning such things?

Of course, the real answer to the question is [simply] to do whatever you believe God would have you to do.

Nov 26, 2012
Why argue? From my experience here I have deduced hardly anyone comes to learn, only to teach. Opinions are set in cement comprised of confirmation bias. If you leave, your comments will fade into the archives, like a flower pressed into a book forgotten. If you stay, your influence will be constant and relevant able to teach one who some day happens to journey here without an opinion, in search of Truth. Don’t worry, God is not absent. The wolves are here because of the sheep. The sheep are here because of the Shepherd. All is not lost.