Should teachers in the US be armed?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 6, 2018
Does anybody have evidence that arming teachers is a good idea?
I mean: real evidence, not "I think it will help"

Also, who will pay for the training of armed teachers? Schools are constantly struggling to buy pencils,
let alone training people to confront an emergency situation.
We pay to train teachers about transgendering so we can train them to fire guns.

Aug 2, 2009
Do you agree with President Trump that teachers to be armed with pistols or rifles to protect themselves against any crazy trigger happy individuals?
Arming teachers sounds good in theory, but a lot of teachers probably don't want the responsibility of having a gun in the classroom... and that's understandable....

Plus, it's not that great of a solution...
If someone wanted to shoot up a classroom all they would have to do is sneak a gun in, then shoot the teacher first so the gun stays locked in the drawer while they shoot as many as they can before another teacher shows up with a gun...

What annoys me about this whole subject is that people are treating it like there were no warnings at all before all these school shootings occurred. There were warnings that were ignored by authorities. Sometimes big warnings.

The fact is that even if there are armed guards at every school, someone homicidal enough will figure a way to shoot as many as they can before the armed people can stop them..

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I believe no need to arm the teachers. enhancing the school security and modifying the school rule about harassment and bullying are the best solutions for the problem.

I believe the shooter was bullied the reason he run amok.
Unfortunately, there are many kids who get bullied. Very few of them decide to murder all their school mates.

In the event of that happening, having trained, armed teachers could mean the difference in a shooting and a mass shooting.

It would be better if we could address the issue of why SOME of the bullied kids think it's ok to kill everyone. Most do not.

Kids have been bullied for centuries. Kids were bullied in my school... kids that had access to all kinds of shotguns and 30-30 deer rifles in gun racks in the back windows of pickups.

We never even HEARD of a school shooting. So, what has changed? Certainly not the ready access to firearms..... you couldn't GET any easier access than we had back then.

K

kaylagrl

I believe no need to arm the teachers. enhancing the school security and modifying the school rule about harassment and bullying are the best solutions for the problem.

I believe the shooter was bullied the reason he run amok.

​I've heard nothing about the shooter being bullied....

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Arming teachers is a bad idea. Either introduce a metal detector... or have a Marshall for each class room.
Why do you think it is a bad idea?

There are many teachers who are former military folks. There are many teachers who are simply mentally/emotionally capable to be a "guard dog". THOSE are the ones who should have the option (if they WANT to) to be trained and carry.

K

kaylagrl

I don't agree with your op actually

Trump did not say he wants teachers to be armed

what he actually did say, was that not everyone can handle a firearm but specific people who can might be able to do so..which would mean a person does not have the usual 10 minutes to kill as many as they can

ideas are being suggested and solutions are being sought

only a dimwit would say give everyone a gun and let them start shooting

Right something has to be done. Most murders happen in the first 5 mins. of shooting. Cops can not get on the scene fast enough.

7seasrekeyed

You mean like how you told the OP they were wrong?

was I right?

yes I was right

he sounded just like CNN which said what he said

let me also say that I understand you better and better the more you post

you are a nitpicker and an angry one at that

Jan 6, 2018
We pay to train teachers about transgendering so we can train them to fire guns.
First: Do you have an idea of the difference in the order of magnitude of costs? Did you research that?

Second: Where did you get the information about "we pay teachers about transgendering"

Jan 6, 2018
Why do you think it is a bad idea?

There are many teachers who are former military folks. There are many teachers who are simply mentally/emotionally capable to be a "guard dog". THOSE are the ones who should have the option (if they WANT to) to be trained and carry.
I agree. We just saw a teacher use his own body as a shield. I'm sure he would rather have used a gun.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016

Also, who will pay for the training of armed teachers? Schools are constantly struggling to buy pencils,
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the same question could be applied in reverse.... is there any evidence anywhere that indicates that arming teachers is a bad idea? All we have so far is "I think it's a bad idea"..

There is a school district here in north Texas that has armed teachers, and has had since after the Sandy Hook mass shooting.

link to article... As gun debate roils on, teachers in this Texas school are already armed

Since there have been no shootings there, I suppose it could be argued that arming teachers works.

Jan 6, 2018
First: Do you have an idea of the difference in the order of magnitude of costs? Did you research that?

Second: Where did you get the information about "we pay teachers about transgendering"
You are worried about the cost of firearms training? Where were you when the money was being spent to train teachers about transgendering?

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016

Classes for a LTC (license to carry) generally cost around $100, sometimes even less. Having a class specifically for teachers should not cost much more than that.... especially if the training organization knew it was for keeping school kids safe. Many training folks would probably do it for free, if not for a "nominal fee". Even if it was $500, it could easily be budgeted.

Jan 6, 2018
Classes for a LTC (license to carry) generally cost around $100, sometimes even less. Having a class specifically for teachers should not cost much more than that.... especially if the training organization knew it was for keeping school kids safe. Many training folks would probably do it for free, if not for a "nominal fee". Even if it was $500, it could easily be budgeted.
The class I took was $50.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
Any teacher who wants to be armed should be allowed so long
as they are willing to take tactical training at their own expense.
I suspect many would jump at the chance.

Meanwhile, every school in the nation needs to be fortified against armed entry.
This kid should not have been able to enter the school armed.
Security cameras, metal detectors, remote locking doors, armed
guards, and/or whatever else it takes; we have the technology.
This is an affluent school and wasn't struggling to buy pencils.
They were lax on security because they didn't perceive a serious threat.
Every last school in the country needs to learn from this and act now.

K

kaylagrl

The answer is to demilitarize the police , band the sells of weapon of war and the ammo open the schools up to prayer per religious group encourage fasting and giving charity per religious calling ,,,,
Banning the sale of weapons is the worst idea of all ideas. It solves nothing. The second half isn't going to happen in this secular world.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Teachers want to teach they didn't sign up for target practice on kids/people who decide to come into the schools to shoot up other students/teachers.

It's a very sad world we live in these days and parents plus teachers should teach love, acceptance and tolerance for different cultures and skin colors. If we as adults would lead our children by example instead of all the hate they see these days life as we all know it could be so different.

The only teachers that should be armed are those that really want to be it should never be mandated for them to have to be.

Parents and teachers should pay more attention to the kids who are bullied, picked on, being abused at home, notice the ones that aren't quite right with possible mental issues and teachers make suggestions for them to get help and the parents should get them help.

No one needs an assault riffle unless you are military or police they should be banned and mandated to be turned in for the ones already out in the private sector.

I don't care if you want to go hunting or have a concealed weapon or have a gun in your home. But this killing of kids in schools needs to be stopped.

A

Ariel82

Heard Texas and Georgia allow teachers to carry concealed weapons?

Jan 6, 2018
You are worried about the cost of firearms training? Where were you when the money was being spent to train teachers about transgendering?
Did you read what I wrote?

If you ignore what I write, this is not a dialogue.

Jan 6, 2018
Heard Texas and Georgia allow teachers to carry concealed weapons?
May I repeat my question?
Do you have evidence that allowing weapons improves things?

Is there a statistically significant decrease in the number of deaths by firearms in Texas and Georgia with
respect to states with different rules?

S

SpoonJuly

Unfortunately, there are many kids who get bullied. Very few of them decide to murder all their school mates.

In the event of that happening, having trained, armed teachers could mean the difference in a shooting and a mass shooting.

It would be better if we could address the issue of why SOME of the bullied kids think it's ok to kill everyone. Most do not.

Kids have been bullied for centuries. Kids were bullied in my school... kids that had access to all kinds of shotguns and 30-30 deer rifles in gun racks in the back windows of pickups.

We never even HEARD of a school shooting. So, what has changed? Certainly not the ready access to firearms..... you couldn't GET any easier access than we had back then.
I remember those days. When I was 16, I got a new 12 gauge shotgun for Christmas. Put it in the gun rack in my pickup, took it to school to show all my friends. Some of the teachers even came out to see it.
My how things have changed.