Shun the unrepentant sinner?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hi All,
With 1 Corinthians 5 in mind, I'd appreciate some perspective on an issue. I recently got to know someone who is (allegedly) a Christian, but by their own admission is "living with" their (unmarried) "partner". I get along well with this person so far, but having found out about their lifestyle, I'm feeling conflicted. I think the biblically-sound response is "do not even eat with such a person" in the hopes that God will bring them to repentance.

Has anyone here walked through a similar situation, from either side? How was it handled? Did the person come to repentance and restoration? I want to be clear; this is not an unsaved person I'm hoping to bring to the Lord; it is someone professing faith in Christ already. I'm looking for perspective, not advice as such. :)

Thanks,
Dino

Feb 7, 2015
Yes. He was a young boy about seventeen caught with a girl. The good church members shunned him and shamed him perfectly. He sailed his little sailboat straight out into the gulf of Mexico at the approach of a hurricane. That was about 32 years ago, and no one has seen nor heard from him since. The girl didn't get the same treatment since her family had some influence.

M

Mitspa

Hi All,
With 1 Corinthians 5 in mind, I'd appreciate some perspective on an issue. I recently got to know someone who is (allegedly) a Christian, but by their own admission is "living with" their (unmarried) "partner". I get along well with this person so far, but having found out about their lifestyle, I'm feeling conflicted. I think the biblically-sound response is "do not even eat with such a person" in the hopes that God will bring them to repentance.

Has anyone here walked through a similar situation, from either side? How was it handled? Did the person come to repentance and restoration? I want to be clear; this is not an unsaved person I'm hoping to bring to the Lord; it is someone professing faith in Christ already. I'm looking for perspective, not advice as such. :)

Thanks,
Dino
Have you prayed about it? Do you have any direction from the Holy Spirit?

K

KennethC

Well first thing we have to do is put things in proper perspective.

To start the bible actually does not condemn the living together before marriage, as that was started and added by man to the word. The bible actually only condemns sexual relations before marriage, and if a couple can live under the same roof before marriage without having sex then they are still following the command.

If they are having sexual relationship before marriage then you are to take steps of speaking to him one on one about it, then bring others to him to speak to him, and then bring him before the whole church to change his ways. If those steps have been followed and they still refuse to stop or correct the issue by repenting and getting married, then and only then are you to shun them.

We are not to shun people right away as there are steps to take, and if they in the future after they have been shunned repent and correct the issue then they are to be welcomed back into the church.

It is not to ever be a forever shunning unless the person continues to never give up their sinful ways!!!

V

VioletReigns

Yes. He was a young boy about seventeen caught with a girl. The good church members shunned him and shamed him perfectly. He sailed his little sailboat straight out into the gulf of Mexico at the approach of a hurricane. That was about 32 years ago, and no one has seen nor heard from him since. The girl didn't get the same treatment since her family had some influence.
That sounds like a sad ol' country song. :confused:

M

Mitspa

And he was really a nice kid with a promising future.
So im assuming you don't think this was Gods Will...was this a real Christian group that shunned him or some cult?

Feb 7, 2015
So im assuming you don't think this was Gods Will...was this a real Christian group that shunned him or some cult?
The largest Church of Christ in our city.

Feb 7, 2015
You think it is God's will to shame a young man into killing himself?

M

Mitspa

You think it is God's will to shame a young man into killing himself?
I think that under certain biblical conditions that's EXACLTY what the bible tells us to do so do you think the bible is Gods Will? Or do you think these folks failed to understand Gods Will in some way?

Feb 7, 2015
I think that under certain biblical conditions that's EXACLTY what the bible tells us to do so do you think the bible is Gods Will? Or do you think these folks failed to understand Gods Will in some way?
In every way. And apparently they are not the only ones.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2014
WHERE DOES IT SAY TO SHAME SOMEONE INTO KILLING THEMSELVES???

What? I just... WHAT??

M

Mitspa

WHERE DOES IT SAY TO SHAME SOMEONE INTO KILLING THEMSELVES???

What? I just... WHAT??
Where did I say that? Then I will tell you where the bible tells us to separate ourselves from others under certain circumstances.

Feb 7, 2015
Yes, Olerica, sometimes I honestly can't believe some of the things I read on here.

C

cmarieh

What happened to the love Christ instructs us to give in the bible?

Jul 18, 2015
Hi All,

Thanks,
Dino
My believing Christian neighbours are living in a unmarried relationship, one of them in deep knee into the old testament and the other never reads the bible but believes that pray just about covers everything.

They don't work, they don't fellowship. they don't have charity, they stay up all night and they are ruled by want. But in their heart and mind they are true believers.

And I don't doubt they are.