Singles' Car Questions Tips & Advice thread (married folks can post too..)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Welcome to the CC Singles' Car Questions, Tips and Advice thread!

Post your car questions .. tips ... advice ... pics ... how-to's ... or whatever..
Just do it!! :D

And if you have a question, it helps to post the
make, model and year of your car... :) (example: 2004 honda accord)

20140722065004_Top-Car-Detail-Supercars-25-640x426.jpg

Last edited:

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Im getting 9mpg better than what google says is possible by driving my car correctly... 2012 subaru wrx is supposed to get 25mpg highway... But I am getting 34mpg driving theough the rocky mountains...
MANUAL CARS ONLY
#1 all gas is wasted through acceleration...
#2 the higher the gear the less gass u use... So jump gears if possible when accelerating...
#3 dont worry about keeping speed up a hill, we have a tendency to push our gas pedal to the floor when going up a hill... Instead go slower, yes it takes longer to crest that hill but it could have saved u $2... And where I live, thats about $20 a trip...
#4 put your car in nuetral when going down a hill...
#5 keep a steady speed, if your going 55, stay 55... going from 55-58-52 then back to 55 is a lot of acceleration and waste of gas...
#6 relax, being infront of someone doesnt save you 5 minutes on your trip....
#7 dont engine brake to stop... that uses gas to slow down ur car...
#8 keep braking to a minimum...

There are more tips and tricks like new oil, high tire pressure, clean air filter etc...
But the main things are how you drive your car...

A lot of people think they are driving very well, not knowing they are actually driving aggressively...

T

Tintin

Okay, I have a 2010 Toyota Camry Alitse like this, but it's Wildfire not White.

What type of coolant do I use?
I've been told to use red coolant, but nothing more specific.

Thanks.

2010_Toyota_Camry_--_10-29-2010_2.jpg

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
If your car was white i would know.... But ur car being wildfire color changes everything!

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Tin tin, get prestone dexcool 50/50
It should say approved for toyota vehicles on the bottle...

If u get green coolant then the silicates found in the green coolant will react with the OAT organic anticorosionchemicals in your pink coolant... Turning it into like Jello or Mud....

If you are still nervous, go down to your local toyota dealership and pick up a gallon of Toyota Long Life coolant

T

Tintin

If u get green coolant then the silicates found in the green coolant will react with the OAT organic anticorosionchemicals in your pink coolant... Turning it into like Jello or Mud....

If you are still nervous, go down to your local toyota dealership and pick up a gallon of Toyota Long Life coolant
Thank you, brother! No worries. I'll avoid using green coolant.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Thank you, brother! No worries. I'll avoid using green coolant.
Only for this car though :p

Add pink coolant to a car like mine and its jello :
:p

T

Tintin

Only for this car though :p

Add pink coolant to a car like mine and its jello :
:p
Yeah. That's true. I'm much more familiar with using green coolant. Not in my own car, of course!

Sep 6, 2013
My 2007 Toyota Prius has a moderate oil leak. I added an oil leak sealer probably 6-8 months ago and it helped, though didn't completely stop the leak. The leak is now back to it's original leakiness. Would it be beneficial to add another round of leak sealer?

(I know I need to just get it fixed. Not sure what that would cost though, and currently don't have time to do it.)

U

Ultimatum77

Yup that actually happened to some people when GM chose in the 90's to go with dex-cool and they still went with the green coolant, it ended up shorting a lot of engine parts /killing cars....

you can actually convert a dex-cool system to green/old school coolant but you have to be sure to wash all the parts well and flush your radiator/hoses and cooling system well or you could end up with brown turds in your engine lol....

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
My 2007 Toyota Prius has a moderate oil leak. I added an oil leak sealer probably 6-8 months ago and it helped, though didn't completely stop the leak. The leak is now back to it's original leakiness. Would it be beneficial to add another round of leak sealer?

(I know I need to just get it fixed. Not sure what that would cost though, and currently don't have time to do it.)
Hi Grace. I'm not familiar with hybrid engines, but if it's similar a conventional engine, oil leaks are often from the valve cover gasket. That's basically the big cover that covers the engine and says "TOYOTA on it. If that's where its coming from (you should be able to visually see oil stains running down the block coming from the edge of the cover), then 1) its not critical as long as you keep checking your oil level, and 2) its usually one of the cheapest repairs since they usually just have to undo few screws, pull off the cover and replace the gasket which is just a fancy rubber seal between the cover and the engine block..

Now if its coming from the oilpan gasket, same deal. They can just take off the oilpan and replace the gasket.

The only other place I can think of are the oil drain plug (just replace the washer on the plug).

PLEASE DON"T put in more stop leak stuff. That stuff can clog your oil filter. Also, its just supposed to help recondition the rubber gaskets so they get back their original suppleness, but I have major doubts that it can even do that.

Like I said, an oil leak is messy but not critical as long as you don't let your oil level get low. there is always one quart between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick, so that will tell you how much you've lost and need to add. :)

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Hi Grace. I'm not familiar with hybrid engines, but if it's similar a conventional engine, oil leaks are often from the valve cover gasket. That's basically the big cover that covers the engine and says "TOYOTA on it. If that's where its coming from (you should be able to visually see oil stains running down the block coming from the edge of the cover), then 1) its not critical as long as you keep checking your oil level, and 2) its usually one of the cheapest repairs since they usually just have to undo few screws, pull off the cover and replace the gasket which is just a fancy rubber seal between the cover and the engine block..

Now if its coming from the oilpan gasket, same deal. They can just take off the oilpan and replace the gasket.

The only other place I can think of are the oil drain plug (just replace the washer on the plug).

PLEASE DON"T put in more stop leak stuff. That stuff can clog your oil filter. Also, its just supposed to help recondition the rubber gaskets so they get back their original suppleness, but I have major doubts that it can even do that.

Like I said, an oil leak is messy but not critical as long as you don't let your oil level get low. there is always one quart between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick, so that will tell you how much you've lost and need to add. :)
Anybody else feel emasculated after reading things?

I have to learn car stuff...

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009

I learned from having to go through like every type of car problem over the years. I put over 500k miles on my previous car, a honda crx (and it still ran like new when I sold it) so I've been through it all lol...

But lucky for you, now there's Youtube! :rolleyes:

Check out Scotty Kilmer's channel. I wish everyone would watch his videos! He is an old mechanic who does excellent how-to and advice videos and he's fun to watch too, and very popular. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuxpxCCevIlF-k-K5YU8XPA

Last edited:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009

I know I sure do, and I'm not even a guy.

(Zero, this thread is awesome and I'm sure, helping many people. Thank you for posting it!)

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I learned from having to go through like very type of car problem over the years. I put oner 500k miles on my previous car, a honda crx (and it still ran like new when I sold it) so I've been through it all lol...

But lucky for you, now there's Youtube! :rolleyes:

Check out Scotty Kilmer's channel. He is an old mechanic who does excellent how-to videos and advice videos and he's fun to watch too lol. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuxpxCCevIlF-k-K5YU8XPA
Thank you, friend! I'll definitely take a gander.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Seriously Zero, you made my day. I'll definitely be returning.

Are you also available for legal or financial advice?

I also have a rash that requires diagnosis.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I know I sure do, and I'm not even a guy.

(Zero, this thread is awesome and I'm sure, helping many people. Thank you for posting it!)
You're welcome, Kim. :D I made it for you, u know. ;) wink wink (just flirting wit ya)

Last edited:

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
For my next car I'm thinking about going green and get a car friendly to the environment.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Seriously Zero, you made my day. I'll definitely be returning.

Are you also available for legal or financial advice?

I also have a rash that requires diagnosis.
LOL I wish I knew all that stuff. If I did I'd be rich! :D

Sonflower

Jan 30, 2016
This is amazing!! I always feel like I'm getting taken advantage of now that I'm single, with the car thing. I don't know anything and having this as a resource is AWESOME!!

So, I have a 2014 White Ford Escape. I've been told the lug nuts...(is that what they are called?) that hold the tires on the rims will all need to be replaced. They are not cheap when you add up there are 4-5 per tire at $10-$15 a piece. I guess my car make and model has had problems with it swelling and stripping then you can't get them unscrewed? Is this s thing? I don't want to replace them at all unless it's REALLY needed. I've had a lot of unexpected financial stuff this past year. It's all overwhelming at times. Thanks again for making this thread! :) :)