Smoky used Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

sgw

Apr 3, 2021
I just got into reading the Good Word. Among a few Bibles I’m accumulating, I bought one on eBay and forgot to ask if it was smoke-free. It’s a great little Bible, but after I had it a week or two, the smoke stench got bad. I’m trying leaving it in the sun while I’m home, letting the breeze blow it. I’ve tried a clear tote with paper towels of frankincense and spearmint oils, in the sun. What can I do to clean it out? Or just pass it on to a smoker?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Never heard about an issue of smoke-free bibles before. Maybe you could try spraying it with Lysol. Could be that smokers have their own particular bible. If the smoke bothers you that much perhaps you could just simply burn it.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
One remedy is to give it to anyone who needs a Bible and will not mind the aroma. I have known many smokers beginning in childhood with my parents. They smelled of smoke, and I loved them, still do, rest their souls in Jesus-Yeshua I pray.

Mar 4, 2020
I just got into reading the Good Word. Among a few Bibles I’m accumulating, I bought one on eBay and forgot to ask if it was smoke-free. It’s a great little Bible, but after I had it a week or two, the smoke stench got bad. I’m trying leaving it in the sun while I’m home, letting the breeze blow it. I’ve tried a clear tote with paper towels of frankincense and spearmint oils, in the sun. What can I do to clean it out? Or just pass it on to a smoker?
The tar from the smoke is literally in the pages now. The paper is porous so it absorbs the smell like a sponge. Not really a good way to clean it without damaging the delicate paper. Just keep doing what you're doing, I imagine some fresh air and sun will will help lift some of the smell out of the pages. Might not ever be perfectly smoke-free smell though.

If the smell is really agitating your senses after you've tried to let it air our just try to find a brand new, unused, copy of that Bible. Which Bible is it anyway? I can try to search out a new one.

sgw

Apr 3, 2021
The tar from the smoke is literally in the pages now. The paper is porous so it absorbs the smell like a sponge. Not really a good way to clean it without damaging the delicate paper. Just keep doing what you're doing, I imagine some fresh air and sun will will help lift some of the smell out of the pages. Might not ever be perfectly smoke-free smell though.

If the smell is really agitating your senses after you've tried to let it air our just try to find a brand new, unused, copy of that Bible. Which Bible is it anyway? I can try to search out a new one.
I have a replacement. The pages seem to be a little thinner. I think I’ll donate the old one and get used to the new one. It’s only a $30 NASB Large print. Thanks for all the advice

G

Godsgirl83

Welcome to CC.

sometimes scented dryer sheets help take smoke smells away (not fully gone, but lessens the smell while putting out the scent thats on the sheet).

I had borrowed a book from the library once that was so full of smoke smells :sick: it was almost imposssible to read.
I tried this trick and it seemed to help.

Mar 4, 2020
I have a replacement. The pages seem to be a little thinner. I think I’ll donate the old one and get used to the new one. It’s only a $30 NASB Large print. Thanks for all the advice
I have an NASB, among other versions, and all NASBs aren't the same: there's a 1971, 1977, 1995, and. 2020 edition.

I prefer the 1995 and before versions.

Here's the one I own. It's a 1977 version (it's older than I am), but I like it because it's red letter and doesn't contain a lot of footnotes or commentary. It's just plain scripture from top to bottom.

20210404_094437.jpg
20210404_094505.jpg

sgw

Apr 3, 2021
I have an NASB, among other versions, and all NASBs aren't the same: there's a 1971, 1977, 1995, and. 2020 edition.

I prefer the 1995 and before versions.

Here's the one I own. It's a 1977 version (it's older than I am), but I like it because it's red letter and doesn't contain a lot of footnotes or commentary. It's just plain scripture from top to bottom.

View attachment 226816
View attachment 226817
Mine’s a red latter 1995. I love the ‘95’s. I have a 1977 that I like as well. Ted letter. I love how the older Bibles paper is “broken “ in vs a new Bible. That’s the only reason I was trying to save this one. The paper is nice. I understand the 2020 version is omitting pronouns and going gender neutral. I don’t play that game.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
One remedy is to give it to anyone who needs a Bible and will not mind the aroma. I have known many smokers beginning in childhood with my parents. They smelled of smoke, and I loved them, still do, rest their souls in Jesus-Yeshua I pray.
God bless you sir.

G

Godsgirl83

I understand the 2020 version is omitting pronouns and going gender neutral. I don’t play that game.
This shocks me, (though I guess in a way it doesn't) so I googled about it and found articles as going back to 2004/2005 (might be stuff even earlier, I didn't look to far) talking about the whole gender neutral issue. :rolleyes:
SAD I already have to screen EVERYTHING I give my kids, but the thought that as they get older and move out of easy to read "children's Bibles" that I will have to screen those as well.

Scared to see how it tries to rewrite the Proverbs 31 WOman.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
It’s probably just from the fire and brimstone passages of Scripture.

Imagine it being interactive as you read it!

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
This shocks me, (though I guess in a way it doesn't) so I googled about it and found articles as going back to 2004/2005 (might be stuff even earlier, I didn't look to far) talking about the whole gender neutral issue. :rolleyes:
SAD I already have to screen EVERYTHING I give my kids, but the thought that as they get older and move out of easy to read "children's Bibles" that I will have to screen those as well.

Scared to see how it tries to rewrite the Proverbs 31 WOman.
Ever seen this monstrosity?

1617546900501.jpeg

G

Godsgirl83

like I said, it shocks me, though I guess it shouldn't.
I don't want to derail this thread (more than I might've already done), but this brings my thoughts back to my kiddos and their innocence and understanding of the covenant rainbow.......
:unsure: should I? take this thought to "miscellaneous" or "family" forums?

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Ozium?

I mean it works for neutralizing some pretty "smelly" scents but cigarette smoke is pretty weird. The smell of plain tobacco (cigar/pipe/self-rolls/AS) doesn't bother me but what most call "cigarette" tobacco does...it lingers and pervades strangely. Could be the added chemicals? Either way it can saturate much easier and longer even with venting it seems...tis odd.

I will say that I'd be happy to get that at the thrift store :)
Smoke smell would be lame but I haven't found a large print at the thrift store yet that I recall and while I can still read those super tiny fonts it's nice for it to be bigger when my eyes are tired.

It's been since I was young that I recall the smoke-free thing on Ebay being common practice. Brings back memories of how smoking has transitioned (public perception/rules/etc) Now even bars/hotel rooms are dwindling.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
are the pages yellow or just smelly
If a book strongly stinks I just withdraw it from the library, and also if the pages are yellowing.

Nobody wants to read books that are stinky. Because its a Bible Im sure you can easily find another copy.

if its like the only one the only copy I would suggest is air it and coat it in baking soda to absorb some of the smell, then shake it off after a few days but as I havent had that problem I am not sure if that method would work one hundred percent.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Open it up and cover it in a bucket of baking soda, make sure the baking soda gets through to most of the pages and leave for a couple of days.