Song of Solomon

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 16, 2011
Hi Friends,

Our young adults bible class usually follows a format of the reading of a book verse by verse, and having discussions on the meaning of those scriptures, and of other scriptures they may have relevance to. After recently finishing Ecclesiastes, our class is now studying the next book in the sequence, the Song of Solomon.

First, I just want to say that I'm not trying to be provocative by starting a thread on this book. I know that some of the verses in this book are graphic and/or explicit in nature (or at least appear to be). In fact, it's for this reason I have largely ignored this book in the past, or when I have read it, felt I was reading some kind of romance novel.

Our teacher began by talking about his own study, and stating that he had learned something that changed his view of SOS. The main change for him was the idea that the book is not about two people, a young man and a young woman in love, but about three people, a young man, a young woman, and Solomon himself, who is actually trying to woo the young woman to be his, but that she ultimately chooses the young man.

I read SOS this morning, and I think I see some evidence to support this view. Has anyone else here heard anything similar concerning this book?

I should also mention that the Song of Solomon is often used as a parallel to the relationship between Christ and his church (or his bride, as it is referred to in Revelations). Just so you know, this is not trying to refute that view and that it can still be used for that purpose, only to discuss directly what Solomon may have been writing about and what that book can actually tell us. At any rate, thank you in advance for any input you may care to contribute to this topic.

- Jaynee

L

lordsservant121

My Ex and I had plans to read this book but that didn't happen. When I tried to sit and read it I got half way through and felt like she was taken from me all over again. I know it sounds crazy but I felt like I had to try and win her affection from the book. I didn't know why I thought these things but now I kind of understand about the 3 people of SOS. I refuse to try and read it again because I didn't enjoy the first time.

Jan 16, 2011
My Ex and I had plans to read this book but that didn't happen. When I tried to sit and read it I got half way through and felt like she was taken from me all over again. I know it sounds crazy but I felt like I had to try and win her affection from the book. I didn't know why I thought these things but now I kind of understand about the 3 people of SOS. I refuse to try and read it again because I didn't enjoy the first time.
Hi Lordsservant,

Thank you very much for sharing those heartfelt sentiments with us. We can all empathize with the sincerity and equipoise with which you recalled that experience. Peace and blessings be with you, my brother.

- Jaynee

H

HeavenwithinYOU

Let's all fast and pray and seek the Lord to be ONE with us in Spirit so deeply that we need not the wants and needs of our flesh.... Amen

A

AnandaHya

I always wondered about King Solomon and his psalms, proverbs, etc and why they are all included in the Bible. In the book the prophets Solomon is cursed for his accumulation of knowledge, marrying pagan wives and allowing people to worship idols and false gods, but for David's sake the kingdom wasn't taken away during his life time but that of his son. Then the nation was divided and the reign of evil kings began.

I have questions about Job too and the arguments of his three friends.

So what does the first chapter of Song of Solomon mean?

ong of Solomon 1

1 Solomon’s Song of Songs.

She[a]

2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth—
for your love is more delightful than wine.
3 Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes;
your name is like perfume poured out.
No wonder the young women love you!
4 Take me away with you—let us hurry!
Let the king bring me into his chambers.

Friends

We rejoice and delight in you;
we will praise your love more than wine.

She

How right they are to adore you!

5 Dark am I, yet lovely,
daughters of Jerusalem,
dark like the tents of Kedar,
like the tent curtains of Solomon.[c]
6 Do not stare at me because I am dark,
because I am darkened by the sun.
My mother’s sons were angry with me
and made me take care of the vineyards;
my own vineyard I had to neglect.
7 Tell me, you whom I love,
where you graze your flock
and where you rest your sheep at midday.
Why should I be like a veiled woman
beside the flocks of your friends?

Friends

8 If you do not know, most beautiful of women,
follow the tracks of the sheep
and graze your young goats
by the tents of the shepherds.

He

9 I liken you, my darling, to a mare
among Pharaoh’s chariot horses.
10 Your cheeks are beautiful with earrings,
your neck with strings of jewels.
11 We will make you earrings of gold,
studded with silver.

She

12 While the king was at his table,
my perfume spread its fragrance.
13 My beloved is to me a sachet of myrrh
resting between my breasts.
14 My beloved is to me a cluster of henna blossoms
from the vineyards of En Gedi.

He

15 How beautiful you are, my darling!
Oh, how beautiful!
Your eyes are doves.

She

16 How handsome you are, my beloved!
Oh, how charming!
And our bed is verdant.

He

17 The beams of our house are cedars;
our rafters are firs.

Song of Solomon 1 - PassageLookup - BibleGateway.com

T

Tumnus

Ah, yes, the Song of Songs...a favorite of mine when I was a young newlywed. I am of the mindset that this is a metaphor for Christ and His Bride(the Church) and an example for young married couples myself. What verse(s) in particular led your teacher to believe it was about a young couple and Solomon?