Speaking in tongues: An Orthodox Perspective

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 17, 2009
Speaking In Tongues: An Orthodox Perspective​
Fr. George Nicozisin

Speaking in Tongues, "Glossolalia," a popular practice with many Churches today, is a phenomenon which can be traced to the days of the Apostles. A decade ago, Speaking in Tongues was encountered only in Pentecostal Churches, Revival Meetings, Quaker gatherings and some Methodist groups. Today, Glossolalia is also found in some Roman Catholic and Protestant Churches.

The Greek Orthodox Church does not preclude the use of Glossolalia, but regards it as one of the minor gifts of the Holy Spirit. If Glossolalia has fallen out of use it is because it served its purpose in New Testament times and is no longer necessary. However, even when used, it is a private and personal gift, a lower form of prayer. The Orthodox Church differs with those Pentecostal and Charismatic groups which regard Glossolalia as a pre requisite to being a Christian and to having received the Holy Spirit.

Serapion of Egypt, a fourth century contemporary of St. Athanasios summarized Eastern Orthodox theology:
"The Anointing after Baptism is for the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, that having been born again through Baptism and made new through the laver of regeneration, the candidates may be made new through the gifts of the Holy Spirit and secured by this Seal may continue steadfast."
Bishop Maximos Aghiorghoussis, Greek Orthodox Diocese of Pittsburgh and world-reknowned Orthodox theologian on the Holy Spirit states it this way: "For Orthodox Christians, Baptism is our personal Paschal Resurrection and Chrismation is our personal Pentecost and indwelling of the Holy Spirit."

There are two forms of Glossolalia:

• Pentecost Glossolalia happened this way: Fifty days after the Resurrection, while the disciples were gathered together, the Holy Spirit descended upon them and they began to speak in other languages. Jews from all over the civilized world who were gathered in Jerusalem for the religious holiday stood in amazement as they heard the disciples preaching in their own particular language and dialect (like in a United Nations Assembly). They understood!
  • Corinthian Glossolalia is different. St. Paul, who had founded the Church of Corinth, found it necessary to respond to some of their problems, i.e., division of authority, moral and ethical problems, the eucharist, the issue of death and resurrection and how the Gifts of the Holy Spirit operated. In chapter 12, St. Paul lists nine of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, i.e., knowledge, wisdom, spirit, faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, speaking in tongues and interpreting what another says when he speaks in tongues.
Specifically, Corinthian Glossolalia was an activity of the Holy Spirit coming upon a person and compelling him to external expressions directed to God, but not understood by others. In Pentecost Glossolalia, while speaking in several different tongues, both the speaker and the listener understood what was uttered. The Glossolalia manifested in Corinth was the utterance of words, phrases, sentences, etc., intelligible to God but not to the person uttering them. What was uttered needed to be interpreted by another who had the gift of interpretation.

When the person spoke, his soul became passive and his understanding became inactive. He was in a state of ecstasy. While the words or sounds were prayer and praise, they were not clear in meaning and gave the impression of something mysterious. The phenomenon included sighs, groanings, shoutings, cries and utterances of disconnected speech, sometimes jubilant and some times ecstatic. There is no question-the Church of Corinth had Glossolalia; St. Paul attests to that and makes mention of it. But he also cautions the Corinthian Christians about excessive use; especially to the exclusion of the other more important gifts.

It appears St. Paul was questioned about the working of the Holy Spirit through the Gifts. Corinth was greatly influenced by Greek paganism which included demonstrations, frenzies and orgies all intricately interwoven into their religious practices. In post Homeric times the cult of the Dionysiac orgies made their entrance into the Greek world. According to this, music, the whirling dance, intoxication and utterances had the power to make men divine; to produce a condition in which the normal state was left behind and the inspired person perceived what was external to himself and the senses.

In other words, the soul was supposed to leave the body, hence the word ecstasy ( ek stasis ). They believed that while the being was absent from the body, the soul was united with the deity. At such times, the ecstatic person had no consciousness of his own.

The Corinthians of Paul's time were living under the influence of Dionysiac religious customs. It was natural that they would find certain similarities more familiar and appealing. Thus the Corinthians began to put more stress on certain gifts like glossolalia. No doubt the Apostle was concerned that their ties and memories of the old life should be reason enough to regulate the employment of Glossolalia. In chapter 14, he says:
"I would like for all of you to speak in strange tongues; but I would rather that you had the gift of proclaiming God's message. For the person who proclaims God's message is of greater value than the one who speaks in strange tongues-unless there is someone who can explain what he says, so the whole Church may be edified. So when I come to you, my brethren, what use will I be to you if I speak in strange tongues? Not a bit, unless I bring to you some revelation from God or some knowledge or some inspired message or some teaching."
Apostolic times were a unique period rich with extraordinary and supernatural phenomena for the history of mankind. The Lord God set out to make new creations through the saving grace of His Son and implemented into perfection through the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit endowed men and women with many gifts in order to bring this about. One of its gifts during New Testament times was Glossolalia. But even from New Testament times, it would seem Glossolalia began to phase out. St. Paul, it seems, indicates later in chapter 14 that Glossolalia should be minimized and understood preaching maximized. Justin Martyr, a prolific mid-century writer lists several kinds of gifts but does not mention Glossolalia. Chrysostom wrote numerous homilies on Books of the New Testament during the fourth century but does not appear to make mention of Glossolalia as noted in First Corinthians.

Many Christian writers, certainly the mystics, wrote about states of ecstasy during praise and worship, of seeing visions of God's heavenly kingdom, of what they perceived eternal life with Christ to be, of how the Holy Spirit spoke to them and through them, to others. But theirs was always understood, intelligible, comprehensible communication. Perhaps they could not describe in earthly and material frames of reference what they saw and experienced, but they were conscious and fully aware of what was happening. They were not in some state of senselessness. Even the monks on Mount Athos who experience divine communication and have reached a plateau of holiness, do not speak in tongues. They speak in words that are intelligible and utter clear words in hymn and praise of God and His truth.

What then is the Orthodox Christian perspective on Glossolalia? The Orthodox Christian viewpoint on Glossolalia is based on St. Paul's words in chapter fourteen of the same Epistle: "I thank God that I speak in strange tongues much more than any of you. But in Church worship I would rather speak five words that can be understood, in order to teach others, than speak thou sands of words in strange tongues." (verses 18-19) In chapter thirteen, St. Paul says, "Set your hearts, then, on the more important gifts. Best of all, however, is the following way." Then St. Paul proceeds and shares with his readership the greatest gift of all - Love!

The Orthodox Church does not rule out Glossolalia. She simply does not regard it as one of the important ones. Better to "speak five words that can be understood ... than speak thousands of words in strange tongues." This is the Orthodox Christian viewpoint.

L

Lifelike

Speaking In Tongues: An Orthodox Perspective​

Fr. George Nicozisin

The Orthodox Church differs with those Pentecostal and Charismatic groups which regard Glossolalia as a pre requisite to being a Christian and to having received the Holy Spirit..
Some Pentecostal and Charismatic groups emphasize the necessity of the gift but usually dont go as far as to say if you havent got it then you havent received the Holy Spirit. In the word of God the gift of tongues commonly follow and was a manifestation of someone receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit but being in many Pentacostal and Charasmatic circles myself I usually hear it taught that The baptism of the Holy Spirit can take place with no manifestation, and to believe by faith rather than trust in an experience, and there is a whole range of different experiences that can take palce, usually depending on the call or purpose the believer has in God. I received the gift of tongues by faith while walking along the road at 2 in the morning while praying, there was no mystical experience and it was seperate to when i was baptised in the Spirit which took place at my conversion.

There are two forms of Glossolalia:..
Im more likely to believe there are at least 3:

1/ When the Spirit fell on the believers in the upper room and they spoke in tongues, everyone that gathered around them heard about the wonderful works of God in theiir own language.
2/ The gift of the Spirit that operates alongside the gift of interpretation of tongues - this kind is like a prophetic unction that comes apon a believer and they prophesy in in unknown tongue which is the to be interpreted.
and 3/ The prayer language of the believer between them and God that can be spoken at will.

The bible also speaks of Paul having the tongues of Angels etc. I believe that the gift of tongues is much more diverse and versatile than we know and that the Church will increase in understanding of the gift as God's power is poured out more and these gift begin to function at their true capacity.

When the person spoke, his soul became passive and his understanding became inactive. He was in a state of ecstasy. While the words or sounds were prayer and praise, they were not clear in meaning and gave the impression of something mysterious. The phenomenon included sighs, groanings, shoutings, cries and utterances of disconnected speech, sometimes jubilant and some times ecstatic. There is no question-the Church of Corinth had Glossolalia; St. Paul attests to that and makes mention of it. But he also cautions the Corinthian Christians about excessive use; especially to the exclusion of the other more important gifts..
This description of tongues is not very accurate to describe its current use in the church, and from personal experience i have never experienced anything like this. The we mature and are stable and grounded in God the less strange manifestations are present. There is always the factions of starnge peopel that go off on a tangent but it does not represent the whole.

Many Christian writers, certainly the mystics, wrote about states of ecstasy during praise and worship, of seeing visions of God's heavenly kingdom, of what they perceived eternal life with Christ to be, of how the Holy Spirit spoke to them and through them, to others. But theirs was always understood, intelligible, comprehensible communication. Perhaps they could not describe in earthly and material frames of reference what they saw and experienced, but they were conscious and fully aware of what was happening. They were not in some state of senselessness. .
The gift of tongues has nothing to do with being in a state of senslessness. you are in your right mind, but are communicating by your spirit. The bible is full of ecstatic experiences - Trances, visions, dreams, and being caught up in the Spirit.

Apostolic times were a unique period rich with extraordinary and supernatural phenomena for the history of mankind. The Lord God set out to make new creations through the saving grace of His Son and implemented into perfection through the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit endowed men and women with many gifts in order to bring this about. One of its gifts during New Testament times was Glossolalia. But even from New Testament times, it would seem Glossolalia began to phase out. St. Paul, it seems, indicates later in chapter 14 that Glossolalia should be minimized and understood preaching maximized. .
Even the monks on Mount Athos who experience divine communication and have reached a plateau of holiness, do not speak in tongues. They speak in words that are intelligible and utter clear words in hymn and praise of God and His truth.

What then is the Orthodox Christian perspective on Glossolalia? The Orthodox Christian viewpoint on Glossolalia is based on St. Paul's words in chapter fourteen of the same Epistle: "I thank God that I speak in strange tongues much more than any of you. But in Church worship I would rather speak five words that can be understood, in order to teach others, than speak thou sands of words in strange tongues." (verses 18-19) In chapter thirteen, St. Paul says, "Set your hearts, then, on the more important gifts. Best of all, however, is the following way." Then St. Paul proceeds and shares with his readership the greatest gift of all - Love!

The Orthodox Church does not rule out Glossolalia. She simply does not regard it as one of the important ones. Better to "speak five words that can be understood ... than speak thousands of words in strange tongues." This is the Orthodox Christian viewpoint.
When addressing the Corinthians Paul was explaining that the gift of tongues was for communication between a person and God and to edify oneself as opposed to prophecy (known tongue) which should be used in the church setting because its understood and edifies the church. Thats why he says that if you speak in a tongue there needs to be an interpretation so that all can be benifitted. He was bringing order to usage of the gift and addressing small operational issues, he was not saying that tongues are generally not as important as words that can be understood. He says "I thank God that I speak in strange tongues much more than any of you" sounds inportant and valuable. But then explains, in trying to bring order when we are gathered together "But in Church worship I would rather speak five words that can be understood, in order to teach others, than speak thou sands of words in strange tongues." So hes saying "im glad i speak in tongues more than you all because its awesome and valuable to me, it builds me up in my inner man, and i speak mysteries to God! how special, but when you are with bretheren it doesnt benifit the whole unless they can understand - hence the gift of interpretation, or speak in a known tongue, as the emphasis was on edifying the body.

"I would like for all of you to speak in strange tongues; but I would rather that you had the gift of proclaiming God's message. For the person who proclaims God's message is of greater value than the one who speaks in strange tongues-unless there is someone who can explain what he says, so the whole Church may be edified. So when I come to you, my brethren, what use will I be to you if I speak in strange tongues? Not a bit, unless I bring to you some revelation from God or some knowledge or some inspired message or some teaching." .
Again the empasis is on EDIFICATION. Thats what its all about. God wants to build His church up (edify) until it is the "fullness of Christ" Tongues has a vital role in this, but it needs to be used in Godly order or else it will be ineffective and will not benifit anyone. Im glad i speak in tongues but thatnk God i can also prophesy. Thank you Jesus - the Greatest Prophet and the source of true spiritual life. Eternal.

W

Wootie

I have received the Holy Spirit, but have not spoken in tongues, I hear it spoken & feel sometimes that I know what they are saying. I, on the other hand have spoken a divine utterance to Church elders before-twice & once to a student of our Bible teachings. I have been wondering why I don't speak in tongues like some others do and I finally decided to quit wondering and just listen for God to tell me when to speak. I feel that the Holy Spirit equips us with what and how we need to speak when the time is right.

May 21, 2009
The word says we don't know how to pray well enough. So the Spirit prays for us. Of course he knows everything. Sometimes I think of I forgot to pray for this person. But when I pray in the Spirit I know the Holy Spirit hasn't forgotten anything. Even prays for all kinds of things I don't know about.
I was filled with the Holy Spirit for a long time before I spoke in tongues.

Jan 8, 2009
The Orthodox church lost its way as well though not as bad as the Catholics. Any church based upon an episcopal structure is about control, possibly with greed and manipulation.

C

ChristianIssues

A short video on tongues, prophecy and knowledge.

Hello there,

The following video may be of interest in the discussion of tongues, prophecy and knowledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi6fIUpvZUI

God bless,
Mick

Last edited:
R

Ricke

I speak in In unknown tongues at various times as The Spirit Moves on me. I agree with Paul, when I speak in Unknown tongues. Not even myself knows what I'm saying Only God.

It glorifies him, not The Church, or me, or my Church Family. It just happens. I have only seen Two instances where a Person Spoke in TONGUES. That is speaking in A Language normally they would never know, much less speak in.

My wife is Filipino and A very Spirit filled Black Sister in our Church spoke fluent Tagalog in a service several years ago and my wife was standing next to her and she interpreted what The Black Sister said when we got home. There was no other interpretation aloud in Church what she said. It was a message from The Lord he was pleased with what we were doing, is what My wife told me.

If we are moving in The Spirit a lot of unknown tongues is going on. Just part of the service. Nothing strange about it...

S

Saint

I've only spoken in tongues once, and that was the day I truly gave my heart to God.

E

ed

I have received the Holy Spirit, but have not spoken in tongues, I hear it spoken & feel sometimes that I know what they are saying. I, on the other hand have spoken a divine utterance to Church elders before-twice & once to a student of our Bible teachings. I have been wondering why I don't speak in tongues like some others do and I finally decided to quit wondering and just listen for God to tell me when to speak. I feel that the Holy Spirit equips us with what and how we need to speak when the time is right.
Hi Wootie,
1 Corinthians 13:29 NIV "Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Have all the gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

This clearly shows that not all will speak in tongues. If that is so who speaks in tongues. Clearly apostles do (if there are any today) and prophets and teachers etc but not all. There is another group mentioned as well who speak in tongues. 1 Corinthians 14:22 NIV " Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe NOT." Further on Paul explains that if an unbeliever comes in and hears everyone speaking in tongues the unbeliever will think you are all crazy. So this scripture does not refer to the unbeliever who is to hear, but the unbeliever is the one who does not believe and is given the gift of tongues to help them overcome their disbelief. I also believe that there is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit and if the only gift that is present is speaking in tongues then that is your gift. I don't believe Jesus will come back and increase your gift. If you can't discern any gift maybe this is because your time has not yet come as Jesus is still teaching you and preparing you for your work. When the time is fulfilled, then you will be baptised in the Holy Spirit and receive those gifts necessary for your work in the body of Christ.
love
edwin

C

charisenexcelcis

Hi Wootie,
1 Corinthians 13:29 NIV "Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Have all the gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

This clearly shows that not all will speak in tongues. If that is so who speaks in tongues. Clearly apostles do (if there are any today) and prophets and teachers etc but not all. There is another group mentioned as well who speak in tongues. 1 Corinthians 14:22 NIV " Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe NOT." Further on Paul explains that if an unbeliever comes in and hears everyone speaking in tongues the unbeliever will think you are all crazy. So this scripture does not refer to the unbeliever who is to hear, but the unbeliever is the one who does not believe and is given the gift of tongues to help them overcome their disbelief. I also believe that there is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit and if the only gift that is present is speaking in tongues then that is your gift. I don't believe Jesus will come back and increase your gift. If you can't discern any gift maybe this is because your time has not yet come as Jesus is still teaching you and preparing you for your work. When the time is fulfilled, then you will be baptised in the Holy Spirit and receive those gifts necessary for your work in the body of Christ.
love
edwin
I do not agree. In I Corinth the gift of "tongues" is part of the functioning of the body of Christ. Therefore the normative usage would be for it to be manifested in a believer. The passage about the ungifted is commanding that there be an interpretation to avoid confusion. Interestingly, this passage also refers to various families of glossalia. I believe that there are various functions of glossalia. In line with that, never in Acts is glossalia actually interpreted, though in one case it was understood.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
C

charisenexcelcis

One other thing, the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit is one of the more difficult areas to nail down. For instance, one would think that the unbeliever could never be used in a supernatural way. Yet it was an ungodly High Priest who said of Jesus, "It is better for one man to die then for a whole nation to be destroyed." Likewise a pagan guard at the crucifixion said, "Surely this was the son of a god." Both statements were prophetic and meant more than the speaker intended. I belong to a denomination which has an actual written doctrine concerning glossalia (or one aspect of it), a doctrine which I believe, but also believe to be inadequate.