Speaking in Tounges

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SpaceCowboy

Ok, I'll start this out by saying I'm NOT a cessationist. I believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit 100%. Tounges, Prophecy, healing, discernement, wisdom, teaching. All of them. But I get sooooo AGGRAVATED when I see these people on t.v. who are claiming to speak in tounges when they start babbling a bunch of nonsense. shubadiyadomansula. That is NOT speaking in tounges is it?! Is it REALLY!?..It's a bunch of crap. There just mumbling nonsensical crap. When I think of speaking in tounges I think of the first pentecost of the church when the Holy Spirit came like FIRE on the men and they were totally overcame by the power and spoke in a heavenly language. I do not believe this was something conscience and controllable. I don't believe you can control tounges anymore then you can open your eyes when you sneeze. And to see these people babbling in the flesh makes me cringe. It looks foolish, and it just makes a mockery of the gifts.

/rant

D

dishchat

Ok, I'll start this out by saying I'm NOT a cessationist. I believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit 100%. Tounges, Prophecy, healing, discernement, wisdom, teaching. All of them. But I get sooooo AGGRAVATED when I see these people on t.v. who are claiming to speak in tounges when they start babbling a bunch of nonsense. shubadiyadomansula. That is NOT speaking in tounges is it?! Is it REALLY!?..It's a bunch of crap. There just mumbling nonsensical crap. When I think of speaking in tounges I think of the first pentecost of the church when the Holy Spirit came like FIRE on the men and they were totally overcame by the power and spoke in a heavenly language. I do not believe this was something conscience and controllable. I don't believe you can control tounges anymore then you can open your eyes when you sneeze. And to see these people babbling in the flesh makes me cringe. It looks foolish, and it just makes a mockery of the gifts.

/rant
My friend please, if you don't understand that, please keep quiet and do not critisised them. If they are wrong, pray for them. But do not say nothing against Because you don't know realy if it is the Spirit of the Lord or not. Suppose if it is the Holy Spirit who is talking, then you might be blaspheming against Him and go to Hell. If they are wrong then one day they will answer for that at the bar of jugement. The Holy Spirit talks in tongues but you can't say if it is the Holy Spirit whether or not.

S

SpaceCowboy

My friend please, if you don't understand that, please keep quiet and do not critisised them. If they are wrong, pray for them. But do not say nothing against Because you don't know realy if it is the Spirit of the Lord or not. Suppose if it is the Holy Spirit who is talking, then you might be blaspheming against Him and go to Hell. If they are wrong then one day they will answer for that at the bar of jugement. The Holy Spirit talks in tongues but you can't say if it is the Holy Spirit whether or not.
So what your saying is that it's anyones guess? Could be, could not be. Our God isn't the author of confusion. We should be able to tell things like this. Listen, if you like to do all that when your in church then have at it. But calling it speaking in tounges is just ridiculous to me. It's like they looked at that verse and thought "how can we do that?" how bout we just start rambling stuff. That's speaking in tounges right? Right. Ready go. I think its obvious it's in the flesh, and pointing it out isn't condemning as much as it's standing up for the truth.

D

dishchat

So what your saying is that it's anyones guess? Could be, could not be. Our God isn't the author of confusion. We should be able to tell things like this. Listen, if you like to do all that when your in church then have at it. But calling it speaking in tounges is just ridiculous to me. It's like they looked at that verse and thought "how can we do that?" how bout we just start rambling stuff. That's speaking in tounges right? Right. Ready go. I think its obvious it's in the flesh, and pointing it out isn't condemning as much as it's standing up for the truth.
It is by their fruits that you will recognized them. Not by the unknown words whic they are speaking.
This is why Paul said if there is speaking of tongues, then 2 or 3 talks one by one and there must be translation for that. If there is no translation, we must keep quiet.

C

Crossfire

My friend, I understand your frustration. Over the years, I believe I have met more counterfeits than I have authentic. However, I have learned that the key to tell the authentic from the counterfeir is their fruit. I don't put any stock in anyone's spiritual gift unless they possess the spiritual fruit that comes with it.

As for tv preachers, I ignore them. Doctrinally most aren't worth watching. However, I'm not close enough to them personally to be able to see their fruit for myself thus I reserve judgement for the Lord. :)

P

prophecyman

/rant
I am with you on this one, yes its a mockery when they speak in the tongue, or so they think. Those who are exercised in the Spirit know when the trumpet gives an uncertain sound!

S

SpaceCowboy

It is by their fruits that you will recognized them. Not by the unknown words whic they are speaking.
This is why Paul said if there is speaking of tongues, then 2 or 3 talks one by one and there must be translation for that. If there is no translation, we must keep quiet.
Wouldn't one of their fruits be the fact that there mumbling random things and calling it speaking in tounges??
I think that's why Paul said that, so people didn't do it that way. If someones gonna speak in tounges then the Spirit of God which caused it will also cause someone around them to interpret it. Why would God cause someone to speak in an unknown language for nothing??? I think that's how you can tell its rubbish.

I'm not saying everyone that does this is a phony Christian. I'm sure there are plenty of those who do this and have wonderful fruit. I just think they are confusing and forcing something that they don't really know about.

Feb 16, 2011
this thread has alot of judgementalness in it. i hate when people judge someone's speaking in tongues. how would you feel if someone listened like a vulture to you praying in tongues? why are you watching to see if they are really speaking in tongues? it is not for you anyway it is between them and jesus. you are like pharisees waiting to see if jesus heals on the sabbath. can't someone pray in tongues without you vultures judging them?

May 18, 2011
Here's a funny one you all might like. I had a pastor tell me that you can learn to speak in tongues. I asked " How's that?" He said, "Just start sounding off on the alphabetical letters, and you will soon start speaking in tongues."
Needless to say, I about hit the floor, that was the funniest, dumbest thing I had ever heard. I looked at him and asked him if he was crazy!
He was holding a class in the church, teaching people how to speak in tongues, I told him he was wrong in what he was doing, that tongues is a gift given from the Ruach Hakadesh(Holy Spirit), and that it wasn't something any mere man could teach. He didn't like me much after that.

And on another note, scripture is quite clear about having someone who can interpret tongues, for someone to speak in tongues publicly. For as Paul said, then you all sound crazy. I notice alot of so called tongue speakers forget that part of scripture

Apr 6, 2012
Speaking in “tongues” is the ability to miraculously and suddenly speak in a language/s not yet learned.

The purpose of this gift was to glorify God and to preach/translate his word to people of the nations that have different languages. It came about because God’s favor had shifted from the Jewish system of worship to the newly established Christian Congregation.

Speaking in tongues had meaning and were understood in the first century. Is this what is being accomplished by those who claim an ability to speak in tongues today through outbursts of unintelligible sounds? Keep in mind that this same phenomenon is claimed to cover under occult/demonic influences. See Matthew 7:21-23; 1 John 4:1; 2 Corinthians 11: 14, 15
This gift fulfilled its intended purpose and ended with the deaths of the disciples, apostle Paul-including those of whom they passed this gift to by “laying hands” on.-Acts 8:17; 19:6; 1 Corinthians 13:8.

K

kayem77

My understanding of speaking in tongues, after researching this topic for a while, is that you speak in another existent language, not gibberish. Since speaking in tongues was for edification of the church (with an interpreter) and as a sign for unbelievers (which heard the message in their own language) , I think that nowadays it is often misused and for televangelists is more about creating a circus out of it.

T

Tombo

Speaking in “tongues” is the ability to miraculously and suddenly speak in a language/s not yet learned.

The purpose of this gift was to glorify God and to preach/translate his word to people of the nations that have different languages. It came about because God’s favor had shifted from the Jewish system of worship to the newly established Christian Congregation.

Speaking in tongues had meaning and were understood in the first century. Is this what is being accomplished by those who claim an ability to speak in tongues today through outbursts of unintelligible sounds? Keep in mind that this same phenomenon is claimed to cover under occult/demonic influences. See Matthew 7:21-23; 1 John 4:1; 2 Corinthians 11: 14, 15
This gift fulfilled its intended purpose and ended with the deaths of the disciples, apostle Paul-including those of whom they passed this gift to by “laying hands” on.-Acts 8:17; 19:6; 1 Corinthians 13:8.
I fully agree with this statement. You have to understand that the phenomenon of tongues occured before the Bible was completed and was used to edify people who didn't have the completed Bible yet. Even when it speaks of someone speaking to God and edifying themselves, this was before the Bible was complete and was used to uplift those who had need of it in one way or another.
The same is true of prophets (except in the sense we are all prophets in declaring God's word, the Bible, to the world), there is no new revelation coming form God. All that is needed to make one wise to salvation is contained in the Bible. If anyone claims that God told them this or that (and BTW, we would have no way of knowing if God spoke to them or not), then you would have to put that so called word from God on the same level as the Bible since it claims to be "the word of God". But we know that isn't true. You can see why it couldn't be true. How on earth could we be certain that the one saying "God told me this or that" was telling the truth??? But if we stick to the Bible alone, then we are on safe ground and won't open ourselves up to deception.
Look to God's word alone, it is all sufficient. I know I'll get flamed for this, but it is the truth, and that's all that matters.
God bless.

Tom

T

Tombo

And BTW, isn't it curious that this interest in things called "charismatic" didn't really come into play until sometime in the 19th and 20th centuries??? Of course you've always had the fringe groups or people throughout the Church age who have claimed healings, speaking in tongues, etc., but it really was a rare occurance until relatively recent history.
Something to think about.

Tom

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
As I understand, according to scripture, there are two types of tongues.
One is the private, praying in the Holy Spirit to utter the prayer of the heart though the Holy Spirit.
The other is for edification of the church, and should be done only when one who can tranlate is presant, this same tongue can be heard as well at times in each persons known language.
The concern over the abuse is real, but we are given ways to test.
By their fruits.
And in Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh.
But to reject simply becuase one does not know the gifts ?
One should pray and test, in faith trusting Jesus, for He will set what is true upon the heart.
As in all we know , learn and live, in scripture and the Holy Spirit, it always comes down to faith in Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh.
For Jesus will not let any take you from His hand.

God bless
pickles

Feb 21, 2012

Speaking in tongues is one of the manifestations of the Spirit and is given to every man (born again believer) for profit:
1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
Speaking in tongues in private prayer is to edify the individual believer:
1 Corinthians 14:4a He that speaketh in an tongue edifieth himself;. . . .
and speaking in tongues in the church together with interpretation is to edify the chruch:
1 Corinthians 14:5b. . . for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret that the chruch may receive edifying.
1 Corinthians 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Spirit.
Granted the manifestation of tongues is not handled correctly in most churches today. But apparently this was happening also in the early church or Paul wouldn't have felt the need to teach on how it is to be done in the church.
1 Corinthians 14:27-29,31,40 If any man speak in an tongue, let it be by two or at the most by three and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God.
Let the prophets speak two or three and let the other judge For ye may all prophesy one by one that all may learn and all may be comforted. Let all things be done decently and in order.
Prophesy is someone giving a word of knowledge or word of wisdom for the people present in the church.
Let's look at when this will end:
1 Corinthians 13:8-12 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues they shall cease; whether there be knowledge it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is com, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
This doesn't sound to me that its talking about "when the bible is completed" and if so then "knowledge must be vanished away" and we are all ignorant. - do we see the bible face to face? It seems the truth is these things will be done away when Christ returns because we shall see him face to face. Until then the manifestations are to be used for edification of the chruch and each individual believer for edification.

Last edited:
U

Ugly

Well, if they're standing in public 'speaking in tongues' and those tongues aren't being translated, they're already going against the bible. End of story.

Oct 20, 2011
Remember in sunday school.... okay everyone speak in tongues ahdeahka saidika seedicka sue. Oh boy. Ya I think it's like what you said. I don't think it quit works like that. But there might be some point to it, act as if?

S

Strong1

I know quite a bit of people who have admitted to "faking tongues" in church, when we were young growing up. I struggled with the Holy Spirit for many years because I could not understand what all of this stuff was, and why wasn't I experiencing this? I have learned differently now though.

I wouldn't be so quick to speak against this manifestation of "Speaking in tongues" though.
I have been in services recently where one began to speak in tongues(and no it did not resemble any language that I have ever been familliar with.) it did sound like "jibberish" and low and behold...the whole congregation went silent, and what happened? Some other person gave an interpretation.

Question though? Don't you think some people who were present on the day of penticost thought that the apostles were crazy as well? Comments came out that, "These men have been drunk with new wine?" They thought this, were they correct in their assumptions? I say we should be carefull with speaking about what we don't always comprehend.

N

NoahsMom

Personally, Id be terrified to "fake" something as serious as that.