Special Skills or Abilities

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lordsservant121

I think I read some where in the bible where it said that believers, true believer had skills given by the Holy Spirit. I have been looking but I haven't found it yet. I was wondering if anyone knows or can share what there special gifts are. I was wondering because I don't have any or I am not aware of them. I don't have the gift of tongues or preaching or anything. Just curious so I know what to look for.

A

AnandaHya

the Apostle Paul speaks about spiritual Gifts and everyone has them. There are also sections of fruit of the spirit that become evident in the lives of people who live and abide in Christ. I'll post the scriptures for you. I'm still learning what my personal gifts are but I think one may be teaching because that is what I've been called to do. Feel free to message me. I've got to go take care of my family, we're going out of town this weekend. :)

BibleGateway.com: Search for a Bible word or phrase in over 35 languages and 50 versions.

above is an online bible in case you needed one.

1 Corinthians 12

Concerning Spiritual Gifts

1 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Unity and Diversity in the Body

12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many

Galatians 5

Life by the Spirit

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Like a tree planted by the river, sink your roots deep into the Truth and Word of God so that even if flood waters come you can be like the mangroove tree and be able to survive the storms and tribulation of life. We are to be the Light of the World, reflecting the Holy Spirit that resides within us. So SHINE! :)

F

Forgiven66

Romans 12:3-16 and Ephesians 4:3-16 also deal with this subject.

May 21, 2009
Seven gifts of the Holy Spirit

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Some Christians take these to be a definitive list of specific attributes, while other Christians take them to be merely examples of God's work through Christians by the Holy Spirit. Roman Catholics believe that you receive these seven gifts once you receive Baptism, and at Confirmation they are strengthened so that one is able to proclaim the truths of the faith and be ready to die for them if need be. "The reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace."[88] For "by the sacrament of Confirmation, [the baptized] are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed."[89] (Catechism of the Catholic Church #1285)
The seven gifts are enumerated in Isaiah 11:2-3 and conform to the Latin Vulgate[1], which takes the list from the Septuagint [2].
Here are the names of the seven gifts, as given[1] in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, along with a description of each gift, as defined[2] by St. Thomas Aquinas in the Summa Theologica:

• Wisdom: With the gift of wisdom, we see God at work in our lives and in the world. For the wise person, the wonders of nature, historical events, and the ups and downs of our lives take on deeper meaning. The matters of judgment about the truth, and being able to see the whole image of God. We see God as our Father and other people with dignity. Lastly being able to see God in everyone and everything everywhere.

• Understanding: In understanding, we comprehend how we need to live as a follower of Jesus Christ. A person with understanding is not confused by all the conflicting messages in our culture about the right way to live. The gift of understanding perfects a person's speculative reason in the apprehension of truth. It is the gift whereby self-evident principles are known, Aquinas writes.[3]

• Counsel (Right Judgment): With the gift of counsel/right judgment, we know the difference between right and wrong, and we choose to do what is right. A person with right judgment avoids sin and lives out the values taught by Jesus. The gift of truth that allows the person to respond prudently, and happily to believe our Christ the Lord

• Fortitude (Courage): With the gift of fortitude/courage, we overcome our fear and are willing to take risks as a follower of Jesus Christ. A person with courage is willing to stand up for what is right in the sight of God, even if it means accepting rejection, verbal abuse, or even physical harm and death. The gift of courage allows people the firmness of mind that is required both in doing good and in enduring evil, especially with regard to goods or evils that are difficult, just like Joan of Arc did.

• Knowledge: With the gift of knowledge, we understand the meaning of God. The gift of knowledge is more than an accumulation of facts.

• Piety (Reverence): With the gift of reverence, sometimes called piety, we have a deep sense of respect for God and the church. A person with reverence recognizes our total reliance on God and comes before God with humility, trust, and love. Piety is the gift whereby, at the Holy Spirit's instigation, we pay worship and duty to God as our Father, Aquinas writes.

• Fear of the Lord (Wonder and Awe): With the gift of fear of the Lord we are aware of the glory and majesty of God. A person with wonder and awe knows that God is the perfection of all we desire: perfect knowledge, perfect goodness, perfect power, and perfect love. This gift is described by Aquinas as a fear of separating oneself from God. He describes the gift as a "filial fear," like a child's fear of offending his father, rather than a "servile fear," that is, a fear of punishment. Also known as knowing God is all powerful. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Prov 1:7) because it puts our mindset in its correct location with respect to God: we are the finite, dependent creatures, and He is the infinite, all-powerful Creator.
St. Thomas Aquinas says that four of these gifts (wisdom, understanding, knowledge, and counsel) direct the intellect, while the other three gifts (fortitude, piety, and fear of the Lord) direct the will toward God.
In some respects, the gifts are similar to the virtues, but a key distinction is that the virtues operate under the impetus of human reason (prompted by grace), whereas the gifts operate under the impetus of the Holy Spirit; the former can be used when one wishes, but the latter operate only when the Holy Spirit wishes. In the case of Fortitude, the gift has, in Latin and English, the same name as a virtue, which it is related to but from which it must be distinguished.
In Summa Theologica II.II, Thomas Aquinas asserts the following correspondences between the seven Capital Virtues and the seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit:[4]

• The gift of wisdom corresponds to the virtue of charity.
  • The gift of understanding corresponds to the virtue of faith.
  • The gift of counsel (right judgment) corresponds to the virtue of prudence.
  • The gift of courage corresponds to the virtue of fortitude.
  • The gift of knowledge corresponds to the virtue of hope.
  • The gift of piety corresponds to the virtue of justice.
  • The gift of fear of the Lord corresponds to the virtue of temperance.

May 21, 2009

The Gifts of God
by Henry M. Morris, Ph.D.
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning" (James 1:17).
In the days of the Bible, times of great joy were often accompanied by the giving of gifts, one to another (e.g. Nehemiah 8:10; Esther 9:22; Revelation 11:10). This ancient custom, practiced commonly in all nations throughout history, finds its greatest expression today at Christmas time, when the joy of the wise men (Matthew 2:10) and the joyful tidings of the angels (Luke 2:10) echo in millions of family circles around the world and, even where Christ Himself is not known, people share the joy of giving.
The Gift of Creation
But giving began with God! Human gifts are imperfect often wrongly motivated, frequently unappreciated, always defective and temporary. Gifts that are good gifts and perfect gifts come only from above, from the Father of lights. The marvelous universe itself, as it came from the creative hand of the great Giver, was good and perfect. In fact, God pronounced it "very good" and then "rested," having "finished" (that is, "perfected") everything He had created and made (Genesis 1:31-2:3).
God began with a good and perfect creation and He has maintained that standard, for with Him "is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." Both He and His creation remain forever. In fact, this principle as seen in the natural world is now recognized by scientists as the most universal of all scientific laws?the principle of conservation of matter and energy, the "first law of thermodynamics."
Into this perfect creation, however, has appeared an intruder, a disordering agent. By man came sin, and then came the great Curse, and now the whole creation is under the bondage of decay (Romans 8:20-22). In science, this also is recognized as a universal law, the principle of increasing entropy the "second law of thermodynamics," the universality observed fact that everything tends to wear out, run down, disintegrate, grow old and die. The term "entropy" (from two Greek words, en and trope, meaning "in" and "turning") itself suggests that any system which "turns inward" for its strength will soon decay.
But with God is no "shadow of turning (trope)." He is not only invariable in essence, but unchanging in nature. Thus, every gift from God is still a good gift and a perfect gift! Not only was His created world perfect, but so also is His inspired Word (Psalm 19:7; 119:89).
The Father of Lights
Theme of giving is strong in the Scriptures. The words "give," "giving," "gift" and other such words occur at least 2100 times. The very first occurrence, however, is in connection with the giving of light. God placed the great lights in the heavens "to give light upon the earth" (Genesis 1:15). Light is the basic energy by which all creation functions but, so far as the earth is concerned, it is the particular light from the sun which energizes all earth's processes. God Himself is the Light (Genesis 1:3; I John 1:5; Revelation 22:5) and that light antedates the sun, but He made the "lights;" He is the Father of lights.
In the same manner as joyful celebrations commonly involve gift-giving, so they have always involved many lights. When Christ came into the world, the shepherds saw the glory shining (Luke 2:9), the wise men saw His star (Matthew 2:2) and John testified that the "true Light" had come (John 1:9). Today, the remembrance of His birth is everywhere marked by an abundance of lights. Even the Jews; festival of Hanukkah, observed concurrently with Christmas, is called by them the "festival of lights ."
The Other Gifts of God
Our purpose here does not require a comprehensive study of the Biblical theme of giving, but we can at least examine the specific gifts of God that are listed as such in the Scriptures. There are actually eight times when the phrase "gift of God" occurs in the Bible, with the plural "gifts of God" occurring once.
In the Old Testament, the emphasis is on God's material blessings, with the only two references being found in Ecclesiastes.
"That every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labor, it is the gift of God" (Ecclesiastes 3:13).
"Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labor; this is the gift of God" (Ecclesiastes 5:19).
Let no one, therefore, take personal pride in his own abilities or his possessions! They are, in the deepest sense, gifts of God's grace.
Spiritual blessings are far more important than physical and material blessings, however, and all six of the New Testament occurrences of this phrase, the "gift of God," emphasize these. Three of these are translations of the Greek dorea ("freewill gift"), with three from the Greek charisma ("gracious gift") but, for our purposes, the meaning is so nearly the same that they can almost be used interchangeably.
God's Spiritual Blessings
These six New Testament gifts of God are listed below in order as we trace them sequentially through the New Testament.

1. The Gift of Christ Himself
    "If thou knewest the gift of God,?thou wast have asked of Him ?" (John 4:14).
  2. The Gift of the Holy Spirit
    And when Simon saw that?the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,?. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money" (Acts 8:18-20).
  3. The Gift of Eternal Life
    "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23).
  4. The Gift of Individual Personal Abilities
    "But every man hath his proper gift of God one after this manner, and another after that" (I Corinthians 7:7).
  5. The Gift of Salvation through Faith
    "For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8).
  6. The Gift of Confident Love
    "Wherefore?stir up the gift of God, which is in thee?. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" (II Timothy 1:6,7).
The Permanence of God's Gifts
If all of the gifts of God are good and perfect, it is no surprise that they are eternal. It is significant that the sole occurrence of the plural "gifts of God" stresses this wonderful truth. "For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance " (Romans 11:29). Every one of these gifts of God will be ours to treasure throughout eternity.
The last mention of giving in the Bible has to do with the rewards which Christ will give His faithful servants at his return. "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be" (Revelation 22:12). He is the great Giver, from the first chapter of Genesis to the last chapter of Revelation!
Therefore, as we share once again the lights of Christmas and the joy of giving gifts to those we love, let us be sure to remember the Father of lights and that greatest of all His good and perfect gifts.
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).
Then, after contemplating His great gift and the love that determined it, we can respond only in praise and wonder:
"Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift" (II Corinthians 9:15).

May 21, 2009
Spiritual gift

This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations.
Please help to improve this article by introducing more precise citations where appropriate. (April 2009)

This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please improve this article if you can. The talk page may contain suggestions. (March 2007) Spiritual gifts (or charismata), according to Christianity, are gifts that are bestowed on Christians, each having his or her own proper gift (or gifts) to strengthen the Church. They are described in the New Testament, primarily in 1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12, and Ephesians 4.
Some believe their operation was limited to early Christianity. According to some Protestant denominations gifts like speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues were enjoyed only for a short time and were suited to the Church's infancy, not to later times. This view is known as cessationism. This opinion is held by John F. MacArthur, Jr., Robert L. Thomas and many other conservative mainline Protestants. Some Christian teachers such as Zola Levitt have maintained that the number of gifts cannot be determined.
Other groups, including Pentecostals, and other Holiness denominations of Christianity, take an opposing view, believing that the Spiritual gifts are still given by the Holy Spirit today, and Pentecostal meetings often involve ordinary parishioners displaying the use of these gifts (1 Cor 14). In addition, Catholic charismatics, Eastern Orthodoxy, and many other Protestant denominations also continue to believe in and make use of Spiritual gifts.
Yet others believe that the lists of gifts found in Scripture are representative, not exhaustive. They maintain that any talent or ability that the Holy Spirit uses for the good of the Church is a Spiritual gift.
Emphasis on teaching about the nine gifts of the Spirit originated from Howard Carter, an early Pentecostal evangelist. This is based on the text from 1 Corinthians 12:27-30 giving the gifts and listing them as the "gifts of the Spirit." They were later taught and popularized by Lester Sumrall, who accompanied Carter on many missionary journeys in his youth. Modern Bible teachers and scholars have come to the conclusion that there are other gifts of the Spirit listed in Scripture, as seen in the chart below.
Contents

[hide]

[edit] A list based on 1 Corinthians (12:4-6)

These three verses in I Corinthians 12 seem to suggest that what is commonly termed as "Spiritual Gifts" could also be described[says who?] as "The Trinity Gifts" or "Gifts from the Godhead" although these terms are not specifically used in the Bible. However a closer look at each one of the 3 verses above will show that there are three distinct categories identified as Gifts, Operations, Administrations and Manifestation that are given by the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.This distinction is important as each set of Gifts are different in their usage, purpose and origin.
Other Gifts The 5 Fold Ministry The 9 Spiritual Gifts Romans 12:6-8 Ephesians 4:11 1 Corinthians 12:1-14
  • Prophecy
  • Ministry
  • Teaching
  • Exhortation
  • Giving
  • Leading
  • Showing mercy (compassion)

• Apostolic
  • Prophetic
  • Evangelical
  • Pastoral
  • Teaching

• Wisdom
  • Knowledge
  • Discerning various spirits
  • Speaking in tongues
  • Interpretation of tongues
  • Prophecy
  • Faith
  • Working of miracles
  • Healing
Certain individuals hold that the short list of Spiritual gifts identified in I Cor 12:27-30 is a list drawn from the top three and is more a summary as Paul's discourse concludes and he speaks in general terms to all Christians who share in the variety of the three sets of Gifts.
[edit] Gift distinctions

Trying to distinguish one Spiritual gift from another or one Category of Gifts from another is not an easy task. In trying to make these distinctions, one must bear in mind that Paul uses the same Greek word (charismata) to describe them all. So one has to ask whether he meant them to be differentiated in this way. The Scriptures do, however, help us sort these out. In I Cor. 12:4-6, Eph. 4:12-13, and Rom. 12:1-6 each Category of Gifts has a different number of spiritual gifts that is bestowed by a different part of the Trinity.
The Corinthians category has the distinction of being Gifts as opposed to Administrations and Operations (verses 4-6). Verse 7, however, identifies and clarifies them precisely as manifestations that are available to all in the Body of Christ without reservation and at the will of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit Himself chooses one person or another to exhibit a particular Gift for the profit of all. One may be given the Gift of Healing because of a hospital visit that day, while the following day he may be given the Gift of Prophecy in order to communicate God's will and love to a local congregation. These Gifts are understood to be manifestations given at the time of need for the purpose at hand. Each individual believer, if open and willing to be used by the Holy Spirit, will eventually be used at the discretion of the Holy Spirit.
The Ephesians category is somewhat different in its application and its nature. The Gifts of this category are identified as Gifts given by the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, to the Body of Christ. Verse 8 implies that these Gifts are part of the benefits of the resurrection which are directly associated with the works of the Son of God. Verses 12 and 13 state that they are given for the Body of Christ and its edification. I Cor. 12:5 tells us that the Gifts are Gifts of Administrations. They can be termed administrative or ministry positions within the Body of Christ that are instituted by the Lord Jesus Christ by a particular calling. This view is supported by Rom. 11:29, which says "The Gifts and Callings of the LORD are without repentance." Jesus Christ, the Son of God, therefore calls individuals to take on administrative positions or roles (Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors and Teachers) within the Body of Christ for the edification of all.
The Romans category lists Spiritual gifts which are given by God (as identified in I Corinthians 12:6). The passage in Romans 12 is a little more obscure in its identification of the Giver, yet the context of the passage and, once again, the verse (I Cor. 12:6) will support the Giver as being God the Father.
Rom. 12:1-4 — "-1- I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. -2- And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. -3- For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."
Unlike the Ephesians 4 category, these gifts are not administrative nor are they callings (Rom. 12). They are given to all for service in the Body of Christ and considered operational in their application. (I Cor. 12:6) These particular gifts have not been restricted to the Body of Christ like the other two categories, but have been given to all people. As per I Cor. 12:6: "And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all." The word "all" being the same as the "all" in Rom. 3:23, "All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God" and Jesus Christ died and rose for "all."
Another thought is contained in the book "Discover your God-given Gifts," Don & Katie Fortune, Chosen Books-Baker Book House, 1987, page 17). Referring to these Operational Gifts, the book says they are "innate" or given to everyone in one degree or another. Everybody is able to Teach, Serve, Rule, etc. in various capacities and with varied effectiveness according the measure given to each individual. One may be very comfortable and effective at Teaching while not so effective at Exhortation. God being "no respecter of persons" metes out the seven gifts to all individuals so that everyone can function equally serving one another for the benefit of all.
[edit] List of Spiritual gifts

There are various opinions as to the number of Spiritual gifts. There are also different ways of categorizing the gifts proposed.
Many items appearing as Spiritual gifts are also required by the Bible of all Christians, such as faith, prayer, evangelism and so on. One explanation is that the Spiritual gift of Faith means faith despite the circumstances, or a particularly strong faith in God. The Spiritual gift of Prayer could mean a supernatural confidence in prayer, or a special ability to pray. All believers are encouraged to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with other people, but the gift of Evangelism could mean a particular gift to reach others.
Note: Links are sometimes to a general context, not a specific context as a Spiritual gift per se. For example, "faith" links not to the Spiritual gift of Faith , but to faith in a more general context.
[edit] Charismatic gifts (1 Corinthians 12)

Main article: Charism
Also known as the "manifestation gifts" or "miraculous gifts." Some[who?]limit the term "Spiritual gifts" to just the so-called charismatic gifts. Cessationism claims that these Spiritual gifts eventually ceased to operate (through individuals) early in Christian history. Its counterpart continuationism claims that they still operate today. They are believed by some to be transmitted through the laying on of hands.

"Speaking in tongues" and "interpretation of tongues" are sometimes viewed as one Spiritual gift, "tongues." The TNIV footnote has "languages" as a possible translation for "tongues," since this is clearly (based on the Acts 2 event) what the word refers to. Also, the nine gifts in 1 Cor 12 are sometimes [1] divided into three categories, "gifts of knowledge" (wisdom, knowledge, discernment), "gifts of speech" (tongues, interpretation, prophecy), and "gifts of power" (faith, healing, miracles).
[edit] Other commonly listed Spiritual gifts

• apostles, 1 Cor 12:28, Eph 4:11. Some believe that the gift of apostleship was for the First Century Apostles (Christian leaders/disciples) only.[2]
  • teachers / teaching, 1 Cor 12:28, Rom 12:7, Eph 4:11
  • helps / helping, 1 Cor 12:28
  • administrations / guidance, 1 Cor 12:28
  • ministry / serving, Rom 12:7
  • encouragement / exhortation, Rom 12:8
  • giving, Rom 12:8
  • leading, Rom 12:8
  • showing mercy, Rom 12:8
  • evangelists, Eph 4:11
  • pastors, Eph 4:11
  • teachers Eph 4:11. Some take "pastors and teachers" to be combined.

May 21, 2009
Spiritual gift

This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations.
Please help to improve this article by introducing more precise citations where appropriate. (April 2009)

This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please improve this article if you can. The talk page may contain suggestions. (March 2007) Spiritual gifts (or charismata), according to Christianity, are gifts that are bestowed on Christians, each having his or her own proper gift (or gifts) to strengthen the Church. They are described in the New Testament, primarily in 1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12, and Ephesians 4.
Some believe their operation was limited to early Christianity. According to some Protestant denominations gifts like speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues were enjoyed only for a short time and were suited to the Church's infancy, not to later times. This view is known as cessationism. This opinion is held by John F. MacArthur, Jr., Robert L. Thomas and many other conservative mainline Protestants. Some Christian teachers such as Zola Levitt have maintained that the number of gifts cannot be determined.
Other groups, including Pentecostals, and other Holiness denominations of Christianity, take an opposing view, believing that the Spiritual gifts are still given by the Holy Spirit today, and Pentecostal meetings often involve ordinary parishioners displaying the use of these gifts (1 Cor 14). In addition, Catholic charismatics, Eastern Orthodoxy, and many other Protestant denominations also continue to believe in and make use of Spiritual gifts.
Yet others believe that the lists of gifts found in Scripture are representative, not exhaustive. They maintain that any talent or ability that the Holy Spirit uses for the good of the Church is a Spiritual gift.
Emphasis on teaching about the nine gifts of the Spirit originated from Howard Carter, an early Pentecostal evangelist. This is based on the text from 1 Corinthians 12:27-30 giving the gifts and listing them as the "gifts of the Spirit." They were later taught and popularized by Lester Sumrall, who accompanied Carter on many missionary journeys in his youth. Modern Bible teachers and scholars have come to the conclusion that there are other gifts of the Spirit listed in Scripture, as seen in the chart below.
Contents

[hide]

[edit] A list based on 1 Corinthians (12:4-6)

These three verses in I Corinthians 12 seem to suggest that what is commonly termed as "Spiritual Gifts" could also be described[says who?] as "The Trinity Gifts" or "Gifts from the Godhead" although these terms are not specifically used in the Bible. However a closer look at each one of the 3 verses above will show that there are three distinct categories identified as Gifts, Operations, Administrations and Manifestation that are given by the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.This distinction is important as each set of Gifts are different in their usage, purpose and origin.
Other Gifts The 5 Fold Ministry The 9 Spiritual Gifts Romans 12:6-8 Ephesians 4:11 1 Corinthians 12:1-14
  • Prophecy
  • Ministry
  • Teaching
  • Exhortation
  • Giving
  • Leading
  • Showing mercy (compassion)

• Apostolic
  • Prophetic
  • Evangelical
  • Pastoral
  • Teaching

• Wisdom
  • Knowledge
  • Discerning various spirits
  • Speaking in tongues
  • Interpretation of tongues
  • Prophecy
  • Faith
  • Working of miracles
  • Healing
Certain individuals hold that the short list of Spiritual gifts identified in I Cor 12:27-30 is a list drawn from the top three and is more a summary as Paul's discourse concludes and he speaks in general terms to all Christians who share in the variety of the three sets of Gifts.
[edit] Gift distinctions

Trying to distinguish one Spiritual gift from another or one Category of Gifts from another is not an easy task. In trying to make these distinctions, one must bear in mind that Paul uses the same Greek word (charismata) to describe them all. So one has to ask whether he meant them to be differentiated in this way. The Scriptures do, however, help us sort these out. In I Cor. 12:4-6, Eph. 4:12-13, and Rom. 12:1-6 each Category of Gifts has a different number of spiritual gifts that is bestowed by a different part of the Trinity.
The Corinthians category has the distinction of being Gifts as opposed to Administrations and Operations (verses 4-6). Verse 7, however, identifies and clarifies them precisely as manifestations that are available to all in the Body of Christ without reservation and at the will of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit Himself chooses one person or another to exhibit a particular Gift for the profit of all. One may be given the Gift of Healing because of a hospital visit that day, while the following day he may be given the Gift of Prophecy in order to communicate God's will and love to a local congregation. These Gifts are understood to be manifestations given at the time of need for the purpose at hand. Each individual believer, if open and willing to be used by the Holy Spirit, will eventually be used at the discretion of the Holy Spirit.
The Ephesians category is somewhat different in its application and its nature. The Gifts of this category are identified as Gifts given by the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, to the Body of Christ. Verse 8 implies that these Gifts are part of the benefits of the resurrection which are directly associated with the works of the Son of God. Verses 12 and 13 state that they are given for the Body of Christ and its edification. I Cor. 12:5 tells us that the Gifts are Gifts of Administrations. They can be termed administrative or ministry positions within the Body of Christ that are instituted by the Lord Jesus Christ by a particular calling. This view is supported by Rom. 11:29, which says "The Gifts and Callings of the LORD are without repentance." Jesus Christ, the Son of God, therefore calls individuals to take on administrative positions or roles (Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors and Teachers) within the Body of Christ for the edification of all.
The Romans category lists Spiritual gifts which are given by God (as identified in I Corinthians 12:6). The passage in Romans 12 is a little more obscure in its identification of the Giver, yet the context of the passage and, once again, the verse (I Cor. 12:6) will support the Giver as being God the Father.
Rom. 12:1-4 — "-1- I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. -2- And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. -3- For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."
Unlike the Ephesians 4 category, these gifts are not administrative nor are they callings (Rom. 12). They are given to all for service in the Body of Christ and considered operational in their application. (I Cor. 12:6) These particular gifts have not been restricted to the Body of Christ like the other two categories, but have been given to all people. As per I Cor. 12:6: "And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all." The word "all" being the same as the "all" in Rom. 3:23, "All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God" and Jesus Christ died and rose for "all."
Another thought is contained in the book "Discover your God-given Gifts," Don & Katie Fortune, Chosen Books-Baker Book House, 1987, page 17). Referring to these Operational Gifts, the book says they are "innate" or given to everyone in one degree or another. Everybody is able to Teach, Serve, Rule, etc. in various capacities and with varied effectiveness according the measure given to each individual. One may be very comfortable and effective at Teaching while not so effective at Exhortation. God being "no respecter of persons" metes out the seven gifts to all individuals so that everyone can function equally serving one another for the benefit of all.
[edit] List of Spiritual gifts

There are various opinions as to the number of Spiritual gifts. There are also different ways of categorizing the gifts proposed.
Many items appearing as Spiritual gifts are also required by the Bible of all Christians, such as faith, prayer, evangelism and so on. One explanation is that the Spiritual gift of Faith means faith despite the circumstances, or a particularly strong faith in God. The Spiritual gift of Prayer could mean a supernatural confidence in prayer, or a special ability to pray. All believers are encouraged to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with other people, but the gift of Evangelism could mean a particular gift to reach others.
Note: Links are sometimes to a general context, not a specific context as a Spiritual gift per se. For example, "faith" links not to the Spiritual gift of Faith , but to faith in a more general context.
[edit] Charismatic gifts (1 Corinthians 12)

Main article: Charism
Also known as the "manifestation gifts" or "miraculous gifts." Some[who?]limit the term "Spiritual gifts" to just the so-called charismatic gifts. Cessationism claims that these Spiritual gifts eventually ceased to operate (through individuals) early in Christian history. Its counterpart continuationism claims that they still operate today. They are believed by some to be transmitted through the laying on of hands.

"Speaking in tongues" and "interpretation of tongues" are sometimes viewed as one Spiritual gift, "tongues." The TNIV footnote has "languages" as a possible translation for "tongues," since this is clearly (based on the Acts 2 event) what the word refers to. Also, the nine gifts in 1 Cor 12 are sometimes [1] divided into three categories, "gifts of knowledge" (wisdom, knowledge, discernment), "gifts of speech" (tongues, interpretation, prophecy), and "gifts of power" (faith, healing, miracles).
[edit] Other commonly listed Spiritual gifts

• apostles, 1 Cor 12:28, Eph 4:11. Some believe that the gift of apostleship was for the First Century Apostles (Christian leaders/disciples) only.[2]
  • teachers / teaching, 1 Cor 12:28, Rom 12:7, Eph 4:11
  • helps / helping, 1 Cor 12:28
  • administrations / guidance, 1 Cor 12:28
  • ministry / serving, Rom 12:7
  • encouragement / exhortation, Rom 12:8
  • giving, Rom 12:8
  • leading, Rom 12:8
  • showing mercy, Rom 12:8
  • evangelists, Eph 4:11
  • pastors, Eph 4:11
  • teachers Eph 4:11. Some take "pastors and teachers" to be combined.

May 21, 2009
Gifts of the Spirit

Explore what spiritual gifts are about:

What Are the Gifts of the Holy Spirit?

The Overall Context of Gift-Talk
God created the world around us. God created us. God didn't build a toll booth to collect user fees for life. Instead, life is free, and being in the created world is free; it's a gift. We humans are the ones who attach fees to what's been freely given to us.
The Ultimate Gift

The biggest gift of all, however, isn't other people, and isn't nature, or the universe, or family. The biggest gift in all of existence is that we are given the Giver - the same Greatest One who was Job's only satisfaction and Moses' only strength is now given to humankind. God chooses not only to put up with us, but to be with us. That's what all this Jesus talk means - that's why Jesus matters. He is, in Christmas-talk, "God-with-us", Immanuel. That is the gift of Jesus.
But Jesus is not walking among us today. So another gift has been given - God in yet another way, the divine Spirit through whom Christ is still in effect right here and now. This Spirit leads, shapes, empowers, and gives us joy. The gift a Christian lives in every day, most fundamentally, is the Holy Spirit.
What's Meant by Gifts of the Spirit

When speaking about "gifts of the Spirit", we're not talking about the gift of God, though that's what lies behind all other gifts. Nor is this about the gift of creation, or the gift of other people or of family or nation or culture -- great gifts all. When speaking of gifts of the Spirit, spiritual gifts, charismata, or things like that, it's about what the Spirit gives as part of bettering people's life in general, and specifically for the life of following Christ.

Not the Same, but Much Alike

While that narrows the gifts down quite a bit, it's still so broad that it is not very helpful. Different spiritual gifts do different things. So let's drill down into some of the terms used for such gifts, overall.
Spiritual Gifts

"Spiritual gifts" is the general term used here. It's a phrase which has meaning in most religions, even ones which don't have a god but who insist that human beings have a part of themselves that is beyond what we can measure or touch or logically figure out. Whatever the spiritual realm is, it bestows on people a range of accomplishment abilities that go beyond mere skill or knack. The term 'spiritual gifts' itself does not say who gave them, or even whether anyone actually received them. (In some religions, what Christians call 'gifts' are treated like peaches dangling from a spiritual tree, there to be picked by those who have enough spiritual insight to find them.) While the term is useful, and is good shorthand for more complicated definitions, Christians much prefer to use the term "gifts of the Holy Spirit", as thanks to the One who gives the gifts, and as a way to give credit where credit is due.
Aquinas on Spiritual Gifts

The Roman Catholic writer and scholar Thomas Aquinas (in *Summa Theologica*, II.2) discusses spiritual gifts at length. In doing so, he founded the main tradition for gifts of the Spirit in the Catholic Church of Middle Ages Europe. He drew his approach from Isaiah 11:1-5, where it speaks of these gifts : wisdom, knowledge, counsel (right judgement), understanding; strength (courage, fortitude), reverence (piety), and fear of the LORD. Through wisdom, knowledge, counsel, and understanding, the Spirit shapes and steers the mind, creating change in the way a person thinks and puts information together. The Holy Spirit provides perspective, reminds us of the right past events, and reveals new opportunities. Through the gifts of courage, reverence, and fear of the LORD, the Spirit shapes your will, so that you choose to use what you learn and think for the purposes God is calling you to do. The gifts Aquinas writes about benefit the person who receives them, and help others indirectly through what that person does. These correspond to the Capital Virtues of charity, faith, prudence, fortitude, justice, and hope, which Aquinas drew from Greek philosophy. The Isaian gifts help develop a person who is spiritually strong enough for the great tasks at hand.
Paul's Gifts of the Spirit (Charismata)

The apostle Paul spoke of gifts from the Spirit often in his letters to local churches. He gave detailed lists of what kinds of gifts there were, in 1 Corinthians 12, and again in Romans 12. The word he used for these gifts was charismata, which is a Greek plural term related to the word for grace. Like grace, charismata are given at no price by the Spirit. But there is one thing expected of those who are given charismata: the gift is to be used for building up other people. Whereas the Isaian gifts Aquinas wrote about are firstly beneficial to you personally, the charismata are given to benefit others - the brothers and sisters of the faith, yes, but also everyone else, believer or not. God gives us the charismata so we can express the love of one another which is at the core of the Christian way of life. The spiritual gifts enable and empower what is done for others, and the Spirit meshes them together among the believers so they can work together to love more effectively. This meshing of spiritual gifts was central to the success of the early church, and to many remarkable acts and movements since then. When the charismatic movement started taking hold in the '60s and '70s, the most fruitful place it turned to in its search to hook up with the Spirit's work was First Corinthians.
Gifts, Talents, and Skills

Spiritual gifts do not depend on natural talents and aptitudes or developed skills, though God gave you those, too. A gift of the Spirit is something that God gives for the purpose of building up others in a life of faith. It is the experience of Christians over the years that the spirit usually harnesses one's talents in the service of the purpose for which the gifts were given. Yet sometimes, the spiritual gifts seem to work against a person's natural endowment. This is, after all, the same God who led his people out of Egypt using a stammerer named Moses, made a shepherd boy/musician named David into a renowned warrior and king, and turned rural fishermen into leaders who left a mark on the course of history. There are examples everywhere of people who don't have training, aren't highly skilled, have no particular knack, but when the time comes for them to benefit others, the gift is there. The Spirit takes pleasure in surprises and on turning the tables on the expected. It's wise to leave ourselves open for such action. You can develop a talent, but the Spirit gives the gift it's meant to go with.
Where there's a gift, there are natural abilities and developed skills which can go with it.

• There is the gift of discernment of spirits, and the natural ability of intuition, and the skillful use of a discernment process.
  • There is the gift of healing, and there are the natural healing processes and the medical skills to assist those processes.
  • There is exorcism, and there are people able to rid their lives of those who use lies and trickery, and the skill of making themselves and those around them more true.
  • There is prophecy, and there is the ability to discover the truth and the skill to figure out how and when to share it.
  • There is ecstatic spiritual experience, and there are the natural makings of romance and desire, and the skills to use them to create bonds of love with your spouse.
God created everyone with these natural foreshadowings of supernatural gifts. They're good, and are meant to be used by all, not just the faithful. If you find that you have a talent, use it and develop it as best you can. But it takes the Holy Spirit working within the believer to put the natural and the supernatural together, with power to serve.
The 'skill' part of this is important. There is no room to be lazy about it. If your gift is given for a direction or purpose, then you also have a responsibility to use the gift as best as you can, and that means working to get better in the related 'skills'. In fact, most people who have gifts are so steered by the purpose behind the gift that they thirst to get better at it -- to learn from mistakes, to rethink the way it's done, to more thoroughly base it in spiritual living, to connect with those who are built up by its use. They want to be at their best for their Maker. That thirst is an ongoing work of the Holy Spirit.

"The Holy Spirit not only unites us, but also ensures our infinite diversity in the Church: at Pentecost the tongues of fire were 'cloven' or divided, descending separately upon each one of those present. The gift of the Spirit is a gift to the Church, but it is at the same time a personal gift, appropriated by each in her or his own way."
Kallistos (Timothy) Ware, in *The Orthodox Church* (Penguin, 1993), p.242.

What Really Counts

Jesus said his followers would be known by their fruits. The fruits he spoke of were acts of love and marks of a Godly character, not specific manifestations, signs, achievements, ranks, tasks, or for that matter, gifts. There are so many spiritual gifts, and so many ways to put them to use for the church and its mission, that no one gift, no one sign, and no one calling defines the Christian life. The Giver defines it. If you treat any one gift that way, you're putting a limit on the sovereign Spirit in a way Scripture never does. Through the gifts the fruit are borne.
As spiritual gifts are given to all who believe in Christ, something strange happens. Priests, pastors, scholars, theologians, and leaders are no longer the sole rivers for the flow of God's grace. The Spirit gives just plain folks the power to give the love and grace of God to each other, and to create (or better, recognize) sacred space here in this world. (This was always true, but the Church has usually forgotten it.) Faithful people do this every day in tough circumstances, when and where the only real Hope is revealed.

More on Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Quotations

"We ask you, O Lord, for the gifts of your Spirit...........
Teach us to overcome divisions.
Send us your Spirit
To lead to full unity your sons and daughters
In full charity, in obedience to your will,
Through Christ our Lord. Amen."
-------- from *Litany for Christian Unity*, Pope John Paul II. © Crossroads Publishing Co.
"I found that I believed in the action of the Holy Spirit, but in a limited sphere; in me the Spirit could not call forth from the organ all the melody he wished; some of the pipes did not function, because they had not been used."
--------- Leon Joseph Cardinal Suenens, *A New Pentecost* (Crossroad/Seabury, 1975)
"The Spirit bears witness. ecstasy and enlightenment, inspiration and intuition are not necessary. Happy is the man who is worthy of these; but woe unto us if we wait for such experiences; woe unto us if we do not perceive that these things are of secondary importance."
--------- Karl Barth (attrib.)
"Man discovers his own wealth
When God comes to asks gifts of him."
--------- Rabindranath Tagore, *Fireflys* (1928)
"God doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called."
-------- unknown
Let thy living Spirit flow
Through thy members all below
With its warmth and power divine;
Scattered far apart they dwell
Yet in every land, full well,
Lord, thou knowest who is thine.
'Jesus, whom thy church doth own', by Gerhard Terstegen, transl. Catherine Winkworth.)

back to top Study Questions on Gifts

(If these questions are being used in small-group study: remember to discuss these at length amongst yourselves, and be honest with each other. And don't get frightened if your gifts emerge.)
What gifts do you think the Spirit has given you? What have you done to find out? How have you checked out if it is the Spirit's?
What have those gifts done for others?
for yourself?
Take a moment to think about the people closest to you. How has God gifted them with something that builds other people up?
Take a look at the gifts that Paul describes in 1 Corinthians. (There are many others, but we'll limit ourselves here to Paul's.) Which of these gifts would you find most valuable for your life?
If you go to church:
Which of these gifts do you think is most needed in your congregation? Why? Do you know of anyone there who is spiritually gifted and is using the gift?
Now, use your imagination and be creative. What difference(s) do you think that each of Paul's listed gifts can make for a congregation in a poor urban neighborhood?
What differences do you find between a gift, a talent, and a skill? Think of someone you know or know about who is an example of how each works with the others.

Dare to Use Your Gifts!

A Dare : Now that you've studied this chapter, take up anew the task of finding the gifts the Spirit has given you. Pray, read scripture, think about it, and use the tools for discerning God's will (see menu below). Pay close attention: a door will open up if you keep knocking.
More pages on spiritual matters :

spiritual discernment ways to discern the workplace the fruit of the Spirit inner healing on the gifts of healing self-control healing ministry of the church the family passion discovery self-test

email me || about Spirithome.com || join the Facebook site
site map || this week's Advent devotional
If you like this site, please bookmark or link to it, and tell others about it. ver.: 09 November 2010.
Gifts of the Spirit. Copyright © 2008

May 21, 2009
I think I read some where in the bible where it said that believers, true believer had skills given by the Holy Spirit. I have been looking but I haven't found it yet. I was wondering if anyone knows or can share what there special gifts are. I was wondering because I don't have any or I am not aware of them. I don't have the gift of tongues or preaching or anything. Just curious so I know what to look for.

Brother
You have gifts. The fact that you humbled yourself to come and ask is a gift. You have more than that also.

D

dmdave17

Brother
You have gifts. The fact that you humbled yourself to come and ask is a gift. You have more than that also.
Agreed. God will reveal your specific gift to you when He reveals the tasks He has set out for you to accomplish. Be patient. Trust Him. You will have them when you need them.

WomanLovesTX

Jan 1, 2010
Agreed. God will reveal your specific gift to you when He reveals the tasks He has set out for you to accomplish. Be patient. Trust Him. You will have them when you need them.
AMEN. That is so true in my own life. I get shocked at times, and say "that came out of me...no way...it can only be of God...not my skills or knowledge". He is an awesome Father who draws us to know Him, even at times when we weren't seeking Him.