The beauty of animal sacrifices

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

mule

I used to believe animal sacrifices was just some gross blood letting ceremony practiced by backwards people. But after a study of the law I learned they are actually a gift from God to man not a gift from man to God.
With the exception of the burnt offering ( wholely consumed by fire) the sacrifices are to be eaten-- this includes the tithe offering.
they are offered with cakes and herbs and wine. There is music, song and psalms.
the altar is described as the table of the Lord. they are feasts of joy and gladness.
the completion of the sacrifices offered is to partake of them.
they are a shadow of Christ
He is our peace offering
sin offering
trespass offering
wave offering ( waved before the crowd as they cried crucify Him)
heave offering ( upon the cross)
grain offering ( bread of life)
tithe offering ( firstborn )
Jesus pointed this out when He taught -- My flesh is food indeed
My blood is drink indeed
we call this the Lords Supper

p.s. catholics do not continuously sacrifice Jesus that is a perpetual offering
we do continuously partake of this offering with joy and gladness
(not symbolically -- we believe in the real presence )

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
I used to believe animal sacrifices was just some gross blood letting ceremony practiced by backwards people. But after a study of the law I learned they are actually a gift from God to man not a gift from man to God.
With the exception of the burnt offering ( wholely consumed by fire) the sacrifices are to be eaten-- this includes the tithe offering.
they are offered with cakes and herbs and wine. There is music, song and psalms.
the altar is described as the table of the Lord. they are feasts of joy and gladness.
the completion of the sacrifices offered is to partake of them.
they are a shadow of Christ
He is our peace offering
sin offering
trespass offering
wave offering ( waved before the crowd as they cried crucify Him)
heave offering ( upon the cross)
grain offering ( bread of life)
tithe offering ( firstborn )
Jesus pointed this out when He taught -- My flesh is food indeed
My blood is drink indeed
we call this the Lords Supper

p.s. catholics do not continuously sacrifice Jesus that is a perpetual offering
we do continuously partake of this offering with joy and gladness
(not symbolically -- we believe in the real presence )
I think there may've been an emotional element to the Passover sacrifice as well. Who would be willing to kill a blemishless, obedient and harmless lamb? Seems like such a waste. But the message was not one of a wasted life but of the price of sin and of saved lives. I think if we all sacrificed our own Passover lambs personally today it would help us to understand the price of sin and just a fraction of what God had to go through.

Sep 14, 2013
you know.. tribes used to cast their sins into a goat and then send it out into the desert to die. That's where the term scapegoating comes from. I don't see how this is any different.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
you know.. tribes used to cast their sins into a goat and then send it out into the desert to die. That's where the term scapegoating comes from. I don't see how this is any different.
The Tribes did that (the Temple sacrifices and system)...as well as sacrificing lambs.

those pointed forward to Jesus Christ - who was both the Lamb and the goat.

if you accept it.

being the goat who removed the sins away from you, that's what that means.
far away - never to be remembered in God's sight. ever.

if you reject the gift, well....you bear the burden of your own sin.

all those animals that suffered and died were a PICTURE, from God, about the seriousness of our SIN.
He didn't like any of that...but we had to get THE MESSAGE.

this is SERIOUS.

read this:

Leviticus: Seedbed of NT Theology
http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/57882-leviticus-seedbed-nt-theology.html < click

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
I think there may've been an emotional element to the Passover sacrifice as well. Who would be willing to kill a blemishless, obedient and harmless lamb? Seems like such a waste. But the message was not one of a wasted life but of the price of sin and of saved lives. I think if we all sacrificed our own Passover lambs personally today it would help us to understand the price of sin and just a fraction of what God had to go through.

And remember, that lamb was supposed to stay with the family for 4 days before sacrificing. It was likely that the lamb became part of that family.

Which is even more of a picture of Yeshua.

john832

May 31, 2013

What, you don't. LOL, actually, the Passover lamb was a perfect picture of the innocence of Christ. When the Passover was sacrificed, it was selected and penned up on the 10th day of the month. It was not sacrificed until the 14th. Five days of nurturing this lamb until it was killed. It was intended to elicit certain emotions (remorse being one).

john832

May 31, 2013
And remember, that lamb was supposed to stay with the family for 4 days before sacrificing. It was likely that the lamb became part of that family.

Which is even more of a picture of Yeshua.
Sorry Matt, we must have been typing at the same time.

john832

May 31, 2013
The scapegoat did not represent Christ. The Azazel did not DIE. It was not sacrificed.

K

Karraster

I just wanted to add, reading this thread made me tear up...thanks so much for posting.

K

Karraster

I can't help but wonder what thoughts Jesus had. He wept after entering the city. Was it because the people had greeted Him like a King, not knowing what He was about to do, and knew the depths of their remorse when some did know afterward? I wonder when did He become aware that He was who the old testament spoke of? Was he 12, or 2, was He born with the knowledge? When did He know He would be slaughtered, like a lamb not opening His mouth? Just to think that one day I will stand before Him!! My KING, my Salvation!!! and then we will know all about it, i think, but it matters not, just to worship at His feet..it's enough.

john832

May 31, 2013
I can't help but wonder what thoughts Jesus had. He wept after entering the city. Was it because the people had greeted Him like a King, not knowing what He was about to do, and knew the depths of their remorse when some did know afterward? I wonder when did He become aware that He was who the old testament spoke of? Was he 12, or 2, was He born with the knowledge? When did He know He would be slaughtered, like a lamb not opening His mouth? Just to think that one day I will stand before Him!! My KING, my Salvation!!! and then we will know all about it, i think, but it matters not, just to worship at His feet..it's enough.
He knew at age twelve...

Luk 2:49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?

K

Karraster

He knew at age twelve...

Luk 2:49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
Yes but, He said that like they should have known. I wonder the exact moment He knew. Where was he at, what was He doing? I know scripture doesn't go into that, and it's not for us to know all things, just that I wonder..

john832

May 31, 2013
Yes but, He said that like they should have known. I wonder the exact moment He knew. Where was he at, what was He doing? I know scripture doesn't go into that, and it's not for us to know all things, just that I wonder..
Don't know. I posted in the sense that we know that He knew by age twelve. He could have known much earlier than that, I just know of no scripture that says so.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
The scapegoat did not represent Christ. The Azazel did not DIE. It was not sacrificed.
you've already been debunked on this.
once again, attributing the work of Christ to satan.

go find the last thread this was covered.

C

chubbena

He knew at age twelve...

Did He know at one when trapped in a powerless baby body? Just asking. Must be awful if He knew and I believe He did - the reason why I frown when I hear Away in a manger...