The Cross

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Noblemen

Jan 14, 2018
The Cross

There are many in the world, atheists, certain historians, and Hollywood celebrities that have all done their best to slander the Cross of Jesus Christ and what He accomplished there. The Cross is what turns a person’s world upright. To hate the Cross is to destroy one’s self.

Here are some reasons the Cross is hated:

-Because it killed the Law of Moses. “Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross” (Col. 2:14).

-The Cross stands in contrast to many things believers do to be religious, things like water baptism (1 Cor. 1:17), good works, church membership, giving lots of money, and erecting buildings. “So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Cor. 1.7).

-The Cross became an enigma to a religion that has followed it for over 2,000 years.

-The Cross is hated because God saw the sacrifice Jesus made there would give Him the right to birth His own children.

- At the Cross, God accomplished the final part of His plan to offer salvation by grace. God saw that now no one would go to Hell or have to be separated from Him because of what they did to Him in their sinful lives.

Even before sin entered the world, the Cross was already the focus of God’s plan. “But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you”
(1 Peter 1:19–20).

All believers became spiritual beings because of the Cross. “But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit” (1 Cor. 6:17).

The Cross made it possible for all born-again believers to be in Christ.The Father graciously allowed every human to share in Christ’s death so that their old upside down life is dead, just as dead as Christ was on the cross. The Cross started a second existence, a second life for humanity. The Cross does away with anything a human, within himself, could do to please God. It is most difficult for modern theologians to accept that there are at least two gospels in the New Testament, one before the Cross and one after the Cross.

The word cross is mentioned in the Four Gospels only as an historical event. It is mentioned three times in Acts and never as salvation. On the Day of Pentecost, Peter, full of the Holy Spirit, did not preach the Cross but accused the Jews of murdering Christ (Acts 2). Cross is mentioned once in John’s Revelation. Paul, the man who had the final gospel from Christ, gives at least six references to the Cross and its salvation.

God is not in the business of fixing old lives, bringing them from a life of sin to a life of righteousness. God’s plan is simple, to do away with the old life—“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live
by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me” (Gal. 2:20).

And place a new life in the human “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new” (2 Cor. 5:17).
The only way to exist in the upside down world is to let Christ be your only life. The Cross is where it all starts.

A

Ariel82

Interesting thread.thanks for sharing.

Sep 4, 2012
The word of the cross is the power of GOD that breaks the power of sin

Now the sting of death [is] sin, and the power of sin [is] the law. 1 Corinthians 15:56

​For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18

Feb 28, 2016
it's ALL about His RESURRECTION, the 'next-step' after the Cross...

Mar 23, 2016

I think the reason the cross is abhorred is because that is where we die to self. And in dying, we think we cannot live. However, because God is God, the opposite is true. When we die to our old desires and habits, we find we are truly alive to God. And we find true peace and joy. Totally contrary to what we ever thought could be. But again, God is God ... :cool:

Feb 28, 2016
your

I think the reason the cross is abhorred is because that is where we die to self. And in dying, we think we cannot live. However, because God is God, the opposite is true. When we die to our old desires and habits, we find we are truly alive to God. And we find true peace and joy. Totally contrary to what we ever thought could be. But again, God is God ... :cool:
[/QUOTE
==========================================================

I'm 71 years old, and I have 'NEVER' in my entire life heard anyone say that they, 'your words',
'abhorred the Cross'...

just wondering why you said it the way you did,,?

Noblemen

Jan 14, 2018
your

[/QUOTE
==========================================================

I'm 71 years old, and I have 'NEVER' in my entire life heard anyone say that they, 'your words',
'abhorred the Cross'...

For example; Some in Hollywood and their cronies absulutely hate the cross, as well as some in religion.

Sep 4, 2012
Paul called the cross a stumbling block (σκάνδαλον skandalon)

Now, brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the stumbling block of the cross has been abolished. Galatians 5:11

G4625 σκάνδαλον skandalon (skan'-dal-on) n.
1. a trap-stick (bent sapling)
2. (concretely) a snare

Why? Because [it was] not of belief, but as of works of law. For they stumbled against the stone of stumbling; as it has been written, Behold, I put in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence; and every one trusting upon him shall not be disgraced. Romans 9:32-33

Mar 23, 2016
'abhorred the Cross'...

Abhor means to regard with disgust and hatred.

Just another word for hate.

OP stated "here are some reasons the Cross is hated".

Apologies if my use of the word "abhorred" upset you.