The Great Commandment

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2009
Not long ago I heard a pastor tell the congregation that the great commandment was to love your neighbor as yourself. Naturally, I almost fell out of the pew. I keep quoting this Scripture; let me do it again:

[34] But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sad'ducees, they came together.
[35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:34-40 RSV

We need to be constantly in prayer, do we not, even as we go about our daily activities. We need ALWAYS to be in communication with the Lord. Why do so many Christians seem to be unaware of that? Certainly the Lord has feelings. Does he enjoy being ignored?

G

Gabriel777

It wouldn't be much of a relationship if we didn't talk to Him daily.

C

Carpe_diem

GLORY HALLELUYAH!

Bless the Lord
and your obedience Bob for this wonderful word...Amen! Flesh gives birth to flesh and spirit to spirit. These wonderful and edifying words you posted ought to prompt people to go hmmm...am I a true conversion? Have I ever met the Father? Do I really know The Father or do I only know of Him what is spoken by man?

Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
If we want to be like man then hang out with the flesh BUT if we want to BE like our Father then hang out with The Holy Spirit.

Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Psalm 46:10. Draw close to Him and He will draw close to you. Only The Lord can fulfill the void within to satisfaction...seek Him while He can be found.

Isa 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
Isa 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

Job who the Lord approved as righteous spoke of himself and said:
Job 42:6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

God cannot be mocked...confession and repentance MUST be done with a genuine heart CRY...He will never trust us without WAILING, GRIEVING AND MOURNING for our evil sins against Him. Who's seed is in you? Matthew 15:7-14

Our prayers ought to be, have Your way in every way Father...it is after all inevitability. The Father agonizes over his children going their own way...He is the way, the truth and the life. What are we going to tell God He doesn't already know? Let us bow before Him in absolute humility begging His forgiveness for our evil ways. CRY ABBA FATHER!

By their fruit we will recognize those who are His, this also means we will recognize those who are of the fruitless deeds of darkness.

For those who have ears to hear what the Spirit is speaking to the church.
Carpe_diem

A

Ancilla

Not long ago I heard a pastor tell the congregation that the great commandment was to love your neighbor as yourself. Naturally, I almost fell out of the pew. I keep quoting this Scripture; let me do it again:

[34] But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sad'ducees, they came together.
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:34-40 RSV

We need to be constantly in prayer, do we not, even as we go about our daily activities. We need ALWAYS to be in communication with the Lord. Why do so many Christians seem to be unaware of that? Certainly the Lord has feelings. Does he enjoy being ignored?
That's a good point. As a single person I really feel like many Christians feel like sexual purity is the greatest commandment. If one talks about "struggling with sin" 9 times out of 10 they're talking about something sexual. And out of that one in 10, I bet most of that is drinking or World of Warcraft or something. But when's the last time you heard someone confess that the big sin that's weighing on their heart is that they're only loving God with 95% of their heart, or that they don't love their enemies. Now, obviously, "On these two commandments depend all the law" so that means that... You know what, it seems to me that most of the sins that really weigh heavily on people are those where they themselves are the biggest victims. We've all heard that when we compromise ourself sexually we're hurting ourselves in the long run. If someone's struggling with addiction they're robbing themselves of living with dignity. How often do think about our sins where others or God are the only victims? Basically, I don't deny that we loose a lot of Christians to sexual temptation, so we need to guard against it, I'm just saying why aren't focusing more on the whole picture as stated in the above verse?

C

concernedguy

These are the commandments under the law as it states. We are to obey them. But these
commandments are brought forward from the Old Testament Laws. These are God's
commandments for living. But Jesus also gave the Great Commission: Go Ye unto all the world
as followers of Christ.

Many get God's commands and The Great Commission Jesus gave us mixed up.

Sep 27, 2009
These are the commandments under the law as it states. We are to obey them. But these
commandments are brought forward from the Old Testament Laws. These are God's
commandments for living. But Jesus also gave the Great Commission: Go Ye unto all the world
as followers of Christ.

Many get God's commands and The Great Commission Jesus gave us mixed up.
Would you say The Great Commission stems from the two great commandments?

Sep 27, 2009
That's a good point. As a single person I really feel like many Christians feel like sexual purity is the greatest commandment. If one talks about "struggling with sin" 9 times out of 10 they're talking about something sexual. And out of that one in 10, I bet most of that is drinking or World of Warcraft or something. But when's the last time you heard someone confess that the big sin that's weighing on their heart is that they're only loving God with 95% of their heart, or that they don't love their enemies. Now, obviously, "On these two commandments depend all the law" so that means that... You know what, it seems to me that most of the sins that really weigh heavily on people are those where they themselves are the biggest victims. We've all heard that when we compromise ourself sexually we're hurting ourselves in the long run. If someone's struggling with addiction they're robbing themselves of living with dignity. How often do think about our sins where others or God are the only victims? Basically, I don't deny that we loose a lot of Christians to sexual temptation, so we need to guard against it, I'm just saying why aren't focusing more on the whole picture as stated in the above verse?
I’ve certainly committed my share of sins in my lifetime. One sin I feel I’ve been a victim of is pride. I’ve heard it said it’s the worst of the sins. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.