The Gun Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
what's the right job for a tool whose only use is to kill or severely injure living things?
You have been mis-informed... that is most certainly NOT the only use for firearms.

Firearms are used for any number of target shooting type competitions, from young people shooting in Appleseed competitions, to the ultra long range competitions like the Camp Perry type stuff.

There are re-enactment type of events, such as cowboy action shooting...

While firearms are excellent tools for defensive, or offensive "killing or injuring", it most certainly is not their only purpose.

Thomas Jefferson thought so, as well....

In 1785 Thomas Jefferson wrote to his fifteen-year-old nephew, Peter Carr, regarding what he considered the best form of exercise: "...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."1

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
It's expensive to shoot. Do you have somewhere to shoot that far? If you do I'd like to be friends.
I would re-load, of course. And its nothing but wide open spaces up here in the north.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Man, I can't even SEE 1000 yards, much less 2000...

It would be cool if you had a 1000 yard range... shooting long distances would be fun... takes a LOT of control, from what I hear.

I'd be happy if I had ready access to a 200-300 yard range.

Nearly all ranges around here are 100 only.
All the ranges out here are set up to 100 yds as well.

My plan is to go out to public land and set up a target and practice a little bit at a time.

And maybe, if time permits, travel to an actual range that goes out to 1000yds, or further.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
If we're talking super drugged up people, I wouldn't go the .22 route. I mean it's better than throwing tacks at him, but I think it best to go for a compromise between power and controlability. My recommendation for a starter would be the 9mm or 38.

Both will get the job done if you do what you're supposed to do (aim for the key parts of the circulatory system and CNS. Fire til'' the gun is dry) provided you have the right defensive load and not some kinda ball ammo.

If you're able to put forward a bit more of an investment, I'd highly recommend getting a long gun for home defense because they pack more of a wallop. 20 gauge or 12 gauge shotguns are the most common choice for that application.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Agreed.

Though I would add that yes, their is nothing wrong with owning something used to kill and maim. You'll be glad you have it if you ever need food or find yourself in a situation where someone is aiming to kill or maim you.

I view my guns as a hobby and a reasonable insurance policy. You live life and hope you never have to file a claim. But you would have to be as foolish as a man who shoots himself the leg if you think you live some sort of charmed existence where the ability to file a claim won't be necessary.

You have been mis-informed... that is most certainly NOT the only use for firearms.

Firearms are used for any number of target shooting type competitions, from young people shooting in Appleseed competitions, to the ultra long range competitions like the Camp Perry type stuff.

There are re-enactment type of events, such as cowboy action shooting...

While firearms are excellent tools for defensive, or offensive "killing or injuring", it most certainly is not their only purpose.

Thomas Jefferson thought so, as well....

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
When ever this naive "guns kill" argument comes out, I feel like picking someone up and tossing them to my family's old rural haunt in NY or to some third world country.

The issue at stake is about the gun itself, but the nature and necessity of killing in our time. Our sophisticated yet ever-fragile post-Industrial Revolution way of life blinds us to elements of the Fall that nip at our heels regardless. Then we go about equating perpetual softness and comfort with the Gospel.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
So yes, guns kill. And praise God there are tools available for that purpose should the need arise.

Snapping the neck of a deer or subduing a substantially larger knife-wielding assailant with your fists is a nigh on impossible task.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
very well put
Sam Colt spoke of it in that way, how it "equalized" people

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Though I would add that yes, their is nothing wrong with owning something used to kill and maim.
Absolutely... I own several that are for that purpose, and recommend them highly to anyone that is willing to take the time to become proficient with them. That is the best confidence building security measure a person can take....taking charge of your own protection, without depending solely on walls, doors, locks (which can and will fail), or the police (who are not charged with protecting YOU, only the public at large)

I was simply trying to point out that killing and injuring is only ONE purpose for firearms. There are many more... just like winning the Daytona 500 is not the only purpose for automobiles...

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Or to stop the evil being perpetrated against the innocent.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Or to stop the evil being perpetrated against the innocent.
I agree: without guns, the people uphold the govt with a peace of paper... And the govt. forces the people with guns...

With guns, the people hold the govt. with power. And the govt. abides by the piece of paper.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
As an update for Des and YIG... here are pics of the front sight on my Canik... Shows the set screw that holds it in place, and shows the difference in the CZ sight length, versus the dovetail slot in the front of the slide... it is working well, though... bought a tall sight, and have been filing it down a little at a time to regulate the vertical impact of my "load of choice". After I get the height correct, I will file the front at a slight slope to allow for smooth removal from a holster...

20170207_231303_resized.jpg 20170207_231350_resized.jpg 20170207_231517_resized.jpg

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Thanks! great to see

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I was going to mention you in the post as well, but I wasn't quite sure how to abbreviate your name.... :eek:

I also meant to mention that the gun is pretty dirty... I had not cleaned it after the last outing.... sometimes I do, sometimes I don't ..... depends on my mood, and my available time....

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
When I found this forum I thought how awesome! This is the last place I will camp before I cross over! Just like Shittim was the last encampment before crossing the Jordan, that and I was having a terrible time finding a handle that hadn't been taken!
It also means "wood" especially the wood of the acacia.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
When I found this forum I thought how awesome! This is the last place I will camp before I cross over! Just like Shittim was the last encampment before crossing the Jordan, that and I was having a terrible time finding a handle that hadn't been taken!
It also means "wood" especially the wood of the acacia.
Yeah, I had to look it up.... I didn't know about the acacia wood, though.. just the encampment.

My name has raised a couple of eyebrows, too.. I think. One irritatingly contentious poster once turned it into a vulgarity when responding to one of my posts. I think he got sent to banned camp over that, and other things....

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I am assuming the "hornet" stands for the cartridge.
I regards to an "irritatingly contentious poster", there does seem to be A LOT of
people who claim Christ who are far from manifest the love, joy, peace etc that should mark
the believer. So much so I wonder if we have missed the mark in who is truly saved by a long shot, a very long shot.
Jesus told us if we loved Him we would keep His commandments, especially to love one another.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Does anyone else re-load for hunting big game or long/er range shooting?

What kind of scope/s do you have/use? Do you like them? Why/why not?

Before I knew much about what I was doing I got a scope for my 30-06 that was mildot but was 2nd focal plane. So there was only one magnification that the mildot was true. It was 16x if I recall correctly. So pretty well useless as a mildot scope. How do you know it is right on 16x and not on 15.8x or 16.2x??

Its kind of hard to judge with a tape measure what is 3.6 inches. I think I did 3.5 plus a little bit... lol

So, the last scope I got is a fixed power mildot. I noticed all my scopes I just used at maximum magnfication anyways so I might as well get higher quality glass for the same price as lower quality variable magnification.

My best scope is a leupold 5x-20x x40mm with custom BDC reticle. I had to chronograph the bullet I was using and then send in the scope and they etched the reticle in based on my chronograph readings. It was fairly inexpensive. Something like $60. After the purchase of the scope, of course. The scope was expensive, for me. VX-III... It was a little more expensive than the rifle I put it on.

So I don't have to dial in for ranges above 200yds. I can go out to 500yds just by using the different reticle marks.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Does anyone else re-load for hunting big game or long/er range shooting?

What kind of scope/s do you have/use? Do you like them? Why/why not?

Before I knew much about what I was doing I got a scope for my 30-06 that was mildot but was 2nd focal plane. So there was only one magnification that the mildot was true. It was 16x if I recall correctly. So pretty well useless as a mildot scope. How do you know it is right on 16x and not on 15.8x or 16.2x??

Its kind of hard to judge with a tape measure what is 3.6 inches. I think I did 3.5 plus a little bit... lol

So, the last scope I got is a fixed power mildot. I noticed all my scopes I just used at maximum magnfication anyways so I might as well get higher quality glass for the same price as lower quality variable magnification.

My best scope is a leupold 5x-20x x40mm with custom BDC reticle. I had to chronograph the bullet I was using and then send in the scope and they etched the reticle in based on my chronograph readings. It was fairly inexpensive. Something like $60. After the purchase of the scope, of course. The scope was expensive, for me. VX-III... It was a little more expensive than the rifle I put it on.

So I don't have to dial in for ranges above 200yds. I can go out to 500yds just by using the different reticle marks.
I reload for all my shooting. (well, except rimfire, of course..)

I only have a few rifles that are capable of longer ranges... One wears a Bausch and Lomb 3x9, another has a Leupold 3x9. I just have a 4x on my AR, but it still manages 1" groups at 100yds with my 60gr bullet load. I think that scope is a Nikon...

I've never used a BDC scope... I had one on a Savage 17 HMR, but lost interest in it and sold it before I got to shoot it much.