The Lord’s Abilities

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Credo_ut_Intelligam

If you don’t take these Scriptures to heart, I think you are missing something vital, Credo.
Those are good verses, but irrelevant to our discussion.

Mar 11, 2009
What do you make of this?
Peace be to you
num;
God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?Behold, I have received commandment to bless: and he hath blessed; and I cannot reverse it.

john 10;
The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?(Clickable links)

John 3;
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Hope this helps you study further

Love a friend in God

C

charisenexcelcis

I guess you're talking about the "beast" in verse 7? I would probably take it metaphorically.

Not sure why you're quizzing my views on Revelation. I already said I don't take any particular stance on eschatology (outside of that most of Mat. 24 and it's parallels refer to the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70). I was raised in a dispensational premil school (even got to hear Tim LaHaye and Ed Hindson speak at my church (several times for the latter). Late in my college years I became a partial preterist postmillennialist. Now I don't take much interest in it and wouldn't describe myself as a postmiller, though I can sympathize with them. So you're not going to get much from me by way of Revelation and if I were to hash out my eschatological views, I definitely wouldn't start in that book
I'm not trying to start a conversation about the book of Revelation, I am just getting a feel for you methods of interpretation. Do you differenciate between symbolism and metaphor?

Interesting suggestion, but too to do anything about it now.
It is interesting when you look at the reason they were cast out of the garden. If, having become sinful by nature, if they had taken of a fruit that would have made them immutable, salvation would not have been possible. On the other hand, if we partake of immutablility in heaven, having been changed from a sinful nature to a righteous nature, we would never be tempted.

Mar 15, 2010
Do animals have free will?
What is the difference between people's free will and animal's free will?

Dec 19, 2009
Do animals have free will?
What is the difference between people's free will and animal's free will?
I haven’t given this much thought. Perhaps we first need to know if animals have souls. Do you think animals have souls?

Mar 15, 2010
I haven’t given this much thought. Perhaps we first need to know if animals have souls. Do you think animals have souls?

I don't know, the Bible doesn't say anything about this.

C

Credo_ut_Intelligam

I'm not trying to start a conversation about the book of Revelation, I am just getting a feel for you methods of interpretation. Do you differenciate between symbolism and metaphor?
Technically there would be a difference between a symbol and a metaphor, but usually I don’t think it’s important to draw that out; although, I guess it could be significant in discussing whether the thing actually exists with symbolism. So normally I would use them interchangeably (same with analogy).

C

Credo_ut_Intelligam

Can God make someone who is more powerful than him?
No. Since God has maximal power, there cannot be a more than maximally powerful being.

Mar 15, 2010
No. Since God has maximal power, there cannot be a more than maximally powerful being.
Is he almighty? I thought almighty means no limits, everything is possible. But, there are things that limit him. For, example he can't sin, he can't create someone more powerful than him, he can't get rid of bad souls, he can only put them to hell. And many more limits. Maybe when he calls himself almighty it's not literal meaning?

C

Credo_ut_Intelligam

Is he almighty? I thought almighty means no limits, everything is possible. But, there are things that limit him. For, example he can't sin, he can't create someone more powerful than him, he can't get rid of bad souls, he can only put them to hell. And many more limits. Maybe when he calls himself almighty it's not literal meaning?
The problem is simply a misunderstanding of the term "almighty" (or all-powerful or omnipotent). Concerning things like logically impossible things, these usually just involve a confusion of terms or conceptual confusions. If you understand the concept of "tallest building" you wouldn't go looking for a taller building than the tallest, unless you were confused about what it meant for a building to be the tallest building. It's not a fault or defect in the building, but in the person who is confused about relationship between the tallest building and all other buildings.

I'd suggest reading the systematic theology portions I quoted in my first post in this thread.

He is almighty, but that doesn't mean what you think it does if you think it includes incoherencies and contradictions or violations of his nature (which would fall under the category of incoherent).

C

charisenexcelcis

Technically there would be a difference between a symbol and a metaphor, but usually I don’t think it’s important to draw that out; although, I guess it could be significant in discussing whether the thing actually exists with symbolism. So normally I would use them interchangeably (same with analogy).
This is important in some of this conversation. For instance, God created the world in six days and then rested on the seventh. Interpreted symbolically, it is literally seven days, and the seven (a number implying completion) has addition meaning to it. If interpreted metaphorically, it matters not whether it was a literal seven days, the only significant is the metaphoric meaning of the seven.

C

Consumed

Jer 32:27 Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?