The Lottery

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It would seem if I had the option to do anything at all to save a life, and I did not do i: I would most certainly be guilty.

That in mind, I suppose I would be obliged to save the many, sacrificing the one, even if the one were my only begotten son.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
It would seem if I had the option to do anything at all to save a life, and I did not do i: I would most certainly be guilty.

That in mind, I suppose I would be obliged to save the many, sacrificing the one, even if the one were my only begotten son.
So...
Would you vote in favor of a lottery where the healthy are sacrificed to save the multitudes are waiting for organs?

M

MoonCresta

Know anyone who wants to but a slightly used 70+ year old kidney?
Best wishes
Good one, shittim! Nice to see a sense of humor on here once in a while!

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
Did you get this idea from the old Sliders show? "Luck of the Draw" episode 9? Or is it just that there's "nothing new under the sun"?

CS1

May 23, 2012
Moral dilemma come along all the time.

And I heard of a new one but in reality it's an old one. Very very old.

You are walking along one day and come across a set of railroad tracks and a switch. You see a train coming down the tracks. On one set there are 5-20 people tied to the tracks and on the other just a single person tied to the track.

There's no time to cut anyone free from the tracks you only have time to pull the switch or not.

If you pull the switch you are going to kill one person but save the others. You will be guilty of killing one person. If you do nothing the group of others are going to die but you won't have any culpability in their death.

So...this is where the lottery comes in.

There are lots of people who need organ transplants. Hearts, lungs, liver, kidneys, and etc so they can live. If we were to have a mandatory lottery of healthy people that we kill and harvest their organs many people will live for 20+ years or more. Sure that one healthy person will die but the other people will live...they will die without the organs.

By either voting for or against the lottery...or even doing nothing, you are making a definitive choice in this dilemma.

Which one do you choose? Do you pull the switch and kill someone? Do you do nothing and kill the others?

it is a false narrative. there is no guarantee the organ given will cause the person to live 20+. Many people's bodies reject them or die before they are implanted. God is the final judge on the "appointed time to die", "then the judgment." One can't be placed under a guilt trip to give up an organ.

In fact, one can judge if the one on the other tracks should receive life over the 20 +. The 20+ could evil people and are reaping what they sowed, while the one is or has repented and is receiving salvation from the oncoming train that will hit everyone ....someday.

A Mandatory taking of body parts to keep what this evil world deems as necessary for life? the same who murders the unborn? The same who put a value on One or 20+ yet can murder millions of babies?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
it is a false narrative. there is no guarantee the organ given will cause the person to live 20+. Many people's bodies reject them or die before they are implanted. God is the final judge on the "appointed time to die", "then the judgment." One can't be placed under a guilt trip to give up an organ.

In fact, one can judge if the one on the other tracks should receive life over the 20 +. The 20+ could evil people and are reaping what they sowed, while the one is or has repented and is receiving salvation from the oncoming train that will hit everyone ....someday.

A Mandatory taking of body parts to keep what this evil world deems as necessary for life? the same who murders the unborn? The same who put a value on One or 20+ yet can murder millions of babies?
Now I happen to agree with you completely.

God chooses who lives or dies.
I don't touch the switch for the train either. I do nothing and let the one live but the multitude die. I didn't create the situation nor do I feel I have a right to choose anything...and I don't want to be complicit or responsible for anyone's death...

So yeah, I don't think that we need to kill the few healthy to save the many sick.

And in my choices... I find congruence with my opinions. But it's also unique. Not many choose this either.

Good vs evil, good lives vs bad lives...
I know for a fact that I can't judge...I'm not equipped like God. I know that fruit judging is my responsibility...but even that's shakey most of the time.

So...pulling the switch to kill the one and saving the others... not gonna do it. Sacrifice the healthy to save the sick? Not gonna do that either. My wife thinks I'm nuts. But I'm okay with that.

But Judas and the High Priest both thought that killing the one to save the many was acceptable too. So...I don't want their fate.
I also believe that it's better to let 12 guilty to go free than to punish one innocent. And today I'm almost alone in that opinion. Except for you.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Did you get this idea from the old Sliders show? "Luck of the Draw" episode 9? Or is it just that there's "nothing new under the sun"?
No...but they might have gotten the idea from this fairly well known morality question. I forget who came up with the question and who added to it later but it's a very well known dilemma. One that I thought would be answered easily by those who claim to have the answers to morality questions.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Im just wondering if you have been in a life or death situation before?

I think a lot of people have eg mothers when they are pregnant, most mothers choose life, and they also may sacrifice their own lives to save the babies. Its not that they die immediately but they will give their Life up for the childs life. some mothers value their own life more than their child though.

It also depends on the father if hes around or not, and that influences decisions more than people are willing to admit.
The bible says men are worse than infidels if they dont look after their own households. Its because they have a responsibility too, but many shirk that responsibility.

if you take someones life, you will have to give yours. If you give life, you will be given life. Its written in the Bible a life for a life.

see Genesis 2:9, 9:6

hope you able to sort out what God wants you to do in whatever situation you are facing.

For those that look after the fatherless and widows, that actually is true religion, anyone who thinks that orphans dont need to be fed and widows looked after has got to be kidding themsleves that people can just insitinctively look after themselves and be fine, or that anyone facing that situation is better off dead.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
No...but they might have gotten the idea from this fairly well known morality question. I forget who came up with the question and who added to it later but it's a very well known dilemma. One that I thought would be answered easily by those who claim to have the answers to morality questions.
How old is this morality question? Probably older than the eighties, eh? lol. Yeah, I wouldn't doubt the show used that question to formulate that episode.

Do Christians have all the answers to moral questions/scenarios? :unsure: I thought we saw through a glass darkly. 1 Corinthians 13:12

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
How old is this morality question? Probably older than the eighties, eh? lol. Yeah, I wouldn't doubt the show used that question to formulate that episode.

Do Christians have all the answers to moral questions/scenarios? :unsure: I thought we saw through a glass darkly. 1 Corinthians 13:12
Well we kinda are supposed to know what is moral and why.

And that scripture is not referencing morality.

We may not always do better...but we are supposed to...and we are supposed to know the difference between morality and immorality.

Unfortunately it's not exactly working out that way lately.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Im just wondering if you have been in a life or death situation before?
Yes,
It's not pleasant but it comes down to instinctively reacting.

Doctors and nurses face this stuff on a regular basis. It kinda warps them in a way that is distinctive. Some handle it better than others.