The Mind, the Spirit and Mental Illness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

flight316

I was reflecting back to my high school days and I thought about three young men that I went to high school with. Each of these young men had a mental breakdown two or three years after high school. I knew each one personally and very well. One was a very good musician, who finished college with an engineering degre who went to wok up in Washington DC for IBM. After working several 14 hour shifts he had a breakdown. He came back to our hometown and was institutionalized. He was released after several months. I spoke with him and he told me that he was the seventh angel from the bible. The second young man was an artist. One night while at a party, it was said that he took some sort of pill and he had a breakdown. He began to wander the streets of our home town. When I spoke with him he would draw demonic looking pictures the entire time we were talking, saying jibberish, while holding a bible and carrying it everywhere he went. The third young man was reading the bible one day when he decided that God did not intend for us to wear chlothes, so he walked to the corner store completely naked. That was over 30 years ago. Each of them were never the same again until this day. Can the bible be over whelming to some people that read it? Why do these breakdowns have such permenant effects on people? Is there a link between the mind and the spirit?

K

kenisyes

The connection mind-spirit is Rom. 12:2, mind is to follow spirit so body can follow mind, and give first you, and then the world around you, transformation in Christ. It's curious that you do not say each of these men was a Christian. Actually, you need more to solve this breakdown issue than just a private moment of individual salvation and weekly church attendance. You need that Christianity becomes more than just an organization. It needs to be a living body, and it needs to be able to handle giftedness that we are told to expect in kings and priests.

I am actually counselling such a young man now, and have been for a few months. I met him on CC, when I was the only one who could respond to his posts and communicate with him. He had just become Christian at the time, because Jesus personally cut in on a converstation he was having with his dead grandfather. He is an unbelievably talented potential author, who sees God in a most amazing way. He was banned from CC, but we keep in touch, and due to loving parents, God's grace, and some counselling, I really think he is going to make it. There are some people who God gives extraordinary gifts, to prepare them for extraordinary service in extraordinary times, and traditional Christianity operates to keep churches operating by pleasing the sense of the average, not the needs of the gifted. The solution lies in all of us being more open to God, and intervening when these kids are 3 years old, and 5 and 8 and 10, not trying to patch things up in secular psychiatric hospitals, after drugs, cutting, and lack of acceptance have taken their toll.

P

Powemm

I can only say.. i am guilty of being found by God in my alone state of insanity without Him. Thank God for His salvation in it..

Isaiah 61

T

Trax

I was reflecting back to my high school days and I thought about three young men that I went to high school with. Each of these young men had a mental breakdown two or three years after high school. I knew each one personally and very well. One was a very good musician, who finished college with an engineering degre who went to wok up in Washington DC for IBM. After working several 14 hour shifts he had a breakdown. He came back to our hometown and was institutionalized. He was released after several months. I spoke with him and he told me that he was the seventh angel from the bible. The second young man was an artist. One night while at a party, it was said that he took some sort of pill and he had a breakdown. He began to wander the streets of our home town. When I spoke with him he would draw demonic looking pictures the entire time we were talking, saying jibberish, while holding a bible and carrying it everywhere he went. The third young man was reading the bible one day when he decided that God did not intend for us to wear chlothes, so he walked to the corner store completely naked. That was over 30 years ago. Each of them were never the same again until this day. Can the bible be over whelming to some people that read it? Why do these breakdowns have such permenant effects on people? Is there a link between the mind and the spirit?
What Bible did they read from?