The Pope's pedophile priests

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

I try my hardest to be objective and fair, and to continually single out Catholic priests to the exclusion of non-catholic workers who also do this garbage, well the blindnessto the other side's offenses is just as umm..interesting;)

Jan 8, 2009
Highest abuse happens in private homes and public schools I believe.

In other words, drinking alcohol can lead to alcoholism, however not everyone who drinks will become an alcoholic.
A better analogy might be, saying celibacy can lead to pedophilia is like saying peeling an apple with your razor sharp fruit knife can lead to you mass murdering 30 people with a samurai sword.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
Highest abuse happens in private homes and public schools I believe.

A better analogy might be, saying celibacy can lead to pedophilia is like saying peeling an apple with your razor sharp fruit knife can lead to you mass murdering 30 people with a samurai sword.
lol. OK, I'll have to admit, that is a pretty good analogy. But I have to disagree about the highest abuse being in public schools. What sources do you have to support this? Also, when you say private homes, are you saying among unbelievers, or in Christian homes?

M

Matthew

"Hey guys, I'm off to have premarital sex. Don't worry, it's ok. If I remained celibate any longer, I would have hurt a child."

Do you not see how counter-Christian and ridiculous that statement is, Matthew et al.?
Like Jordan said, it is rediculous to suggest that remaining celibate would lead to someone seeking out young children to molest. It's like saying that a husband and wife sleeping together only once every two months causes a husband to turn gay. I think like rape, pedophilia is more about desire to control and exert power than fulfillment of sexual urges. There has to be something messed up in their heads for them to do this, before they become priests, I doubt being celibate causes it.
You know I agree with you, that is what I said in the first line of my response. :confused:

What I mean, to be clear, is that while one does not directly cause the other in broad terms supression of sexual desire can lead to deviant activities, this is a fact beyond dispute and I also made it clear that a pre-existing attraction toward children had to be present and simply that the celibacy makes the situation worse.

It's like a caging an animal and expecting it to calm down, it fights back even stronger.

Jan 8, 2009
lol. OK, I'll have to admit, that is a pretty good analogy. But I have to disagree about the highest abuse being in public schools. What sources do you have to support this? Also, when you say private homes, are you saying among unbelievers, or in Christian homes
Some studies I've found say that the public is worse than the religious:

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/4/5/01552.shtml

I think private homes in general. Abuse is most likely to occur between family members or close friends eg uncles , grandparents etc.

Jan 8, 2009
I also made it clear that a pre-existing attraction toward children had to be present and simply that the celibacy makes the situation
I disagree that celibacy makes it worse. This is probably a cousin of the false belief that "sleeping with many women stops you being a homosexual".
The rate of abuse by non-celibate offenders would far outweigh the abuse by celibate offenders. Catholic school teachers do not need to be celibate. Teachers in public schools are often not celebate. A lot of offenders are even married. In fact I could make an argument that being married encourages child abuse if the wife is not meeting their sexual needs. But this would be false too.

K

kujo313

The Pope, the RCC and sex abuse "scandal"

The Pope and the leaders of the RCC can confess their sex abuse stories to one another all they want. But they still need to confess to the police and local authorities and pay the penality: jail.

Feb 9, 2010
Re: The Pope, the RCC and sex abuse "scandal"

Even if they confess to God and repent of their sin and mean it never doing it again that does not get them off the hook from spending prison time for their crime.

Matt

1still_waters

Re: The Pope, the RCC and sex abuse "scandal"

This topic has already been covered like crazy on this board. I'm merging this with an existing thread on the topic.