The power of prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Does prayer work? Can we bring about things just by praying and believing? You bet. Jesus said that if we ask and believe that we have what we are asking for, then we will have it. There is tremendous power in this, in believing prayer. There is also much danger, and even evil.

How can this be? Think about the studies that have been done, showing how prayer for the sick, by those who do not know them, who do not even believe in God, can bring a marked change in the condition of the one being prayed for. Jesus said that if we have faith like a grain of mustard seed, that we can tell this mountain to get up and be tossed into the sea. Belief is the key.

But do we know what to pray? Ah, there is the question, and the danger. I can pray at cross purposes to God's will for another, thinking that I know what they need, and be completely wrong, and cause great harm. This is one very important reason why the Holy Spirit is given, among many others. We often know not how to pray. That is scripture, so if you say you believe scripture, you must do something with this statement. And when we do not know what to pray, or how, the Spirit helps us and guides us. But if we pray for another based upon our beliefs, and not on the leading of the Holy Spirit, the chance is very good that we are not praying what we should.

Just think about it. Maybe I am all wet, but what if I am right? Just one more thing to answer for when we stand before Jesus at His judgment seat. Maybe a lot of things.

In Christ,
vic

C

Crazy4GODword

Prayer is strong friend

GBU friend

May 7, 2007
i know prayer is according the bible very important, but i dont think it matters how or what.

to me it seems that whatever you may pray, most likely you dont get it your way.
i prayed for a lot of things and most of the time i found out it didnt worked out the way i needed it.
for instance a few days ago i asked here for prayer for my daughter for her study. well today she heard she failed the test. she tryed so very hard, this is a delay for one year..

and thats the story of my life, i love the Lord i love Jesus, but lately i found out that prayers are not very often are heard by Him. His will will be done, so whats the use

netinter

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Prayer is all about putting ones trust in God.
Its not about what one wants, although in Jesus, God Our Father cares about all our needs and wants to grant them.
Prayer is presenting ones requests before God in Jesus, with praise and thanksgiving.
When one prays, it places God Our Fathers power and presance in all you ask.
One does not always get what they ask for, simply because when one places their trust in God, one gives this to the will of God and His perfect care.
We cannot know the path ahead of us, but God Our Father does, He knows every need, every care, what will be in your path.
Prayer is placing ones trust and need to God Our Father, not just a request line, but opening a door to God Our Father's care and glory.
If we all got what we wanted, I think all of us would be in terrible shape. :)
In Jesus, we set our prayers before God, this is trusting Him to know our need and provide perfect care and protection.
It is also how we show our trust in Him, with praise and thanksgiving.
Prayer is God's gift to us, our praise of Him in Jesus!
One should seek every moment of every day to be a prayer of praise to God!
When I first started to pray, I thought it would be something I could do to serve God Our Father, but as the years have passed, I have learned that prayer is not just a request or praise, but a prescious gift in Jesus to us.

God bless.
pickles

T

TheTruthWillSetYouFree

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him" (1 John 5:14-15).

According to the above verse, if we pray to God, asking anything according to His will (ie. asking something that will Glorify Him), He hears us. And if we have confidence that He has heard our prayers, and if we have confidence that He will answer us, then He will give us what we asked!

"…The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16).

Hm. Looks like prayers of a righteous man are effective.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" (Romans 8:26).

Pray in the spirit. Then you will get what you need; although you may not know it.

"When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures" (James 4:3).

For example, if you ask for a nice car, do you think you will get it, according to the above verse?

"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it" (John 14:13-14). [bold added]

So you also see how important it is to pray in the name of Jesus Christ!

Here is a sample prayer which God would readily answer:
"Oh Father, you are so absolutely Holy and perfect. Please Lord, I ask that you work in me through the Holy Spirit so that I may bring more glory to you. I ask of this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen"

T

TheTruthWillSetYouFree

Also, don't forget that the main purpose of prayer is to talk with God; not to ask for things. That in itself is a beautiful gift.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
But do we know what to pray? Ah, there is the question, and the danger. I can pray at cross purposes to God's will for another, thinking that I know what they need, and be completely wrong, and cause great harm.

Do you think that if you pray with a wrong heart God is still going to give your wish and harm someone? Don't think so!

Could you clarify what you mean VW, Thanks

Phil

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Do you think that if you pray with a wrong heart God is still going to give your wish and harm someone? Don't think so!

Could you clarify what you mean VW, Thanks

Phil
I would rather that you read Watchman Nee's book "The latent power of the soul."

Your welcome.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Hey, if you cannot do this, then I can explain what was my concern that caused me to start this thread.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
That would be good VW, it would also be good to explain why you think that God will do harm to someone because of you preying wrongly.. it sounds almost like you are saying your prayer controls God..he will do your bidding?

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
That would be good VW, it would also be good to explain why you think that God will do harm to someone because of you preying wrongly.. it sounds almost like you are saying your prayer controls God..he will do your bidding?
Sounds that way, but it is not. What is the truth is that we actually have some power ourselves, to bring about things just because we believe them.

So, because one believes that I am deceived, and that I need to have my eyes opened or my mind changed, or whatever, they pray for me not by and in the unction of the Holy Spirit, but because of what they believe. This could cause great harm.

Think about it.

May 21, 2009
Plus it says for us to confess our sins. Stop sinning. Lots of people are blaming God because they aren't getting answers to their prayers. They need to confess their sins and stop it. Then they really can see the power of God at work.