THE UNSEEN WORLD – SATAN ON A LEASH

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

mrpower

(SORRY ABOUT THE FORMATTING. TOOK IT STRAIGHT FROM WORD)
(WOULD LOVE FEEDBACK FROM FOLKS WITH AN INTEREST IN THE FIRST CHAPTER OF JOB; WHERE SATAN TALKS TO GOD, AND THE ISSUES IT RAISES - please forgive any spelling, grammatical errors)

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Belief in the unseen is major dividing line of faith today, and to the degree of activity, even amongst Christians. People get out of bed,have breakfast, feed their children, pay their bills, go to work, fall asleep, all without ever thinking about the world unseen. But Job 1 gives us a sneak peak of a heavenly scenario being played out between Satan and God. One that leaves us with many more questions than answers. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What we must understand is that this is not a once off (Zech 3:1-2; Luke 22; Rev 12:10), Satan has access to God 'day and night' to work against us. Jesus himself says that Satan is asking to harass Simon (Luke 22:31). What is important to note here is that again, like Job 1, Satan needs to ask to persecute the most righteous of God's children, and in the case of Job, God permits it! Not only does he permit it but as Atkinson rightly tells us (1991, p. 22) God sets the bounds for Job's persecution. This would appear to be an evil, but there is no dualism in God. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]P[/FONT]opular Christian thinking operates within a sort of dualism, in which the life is understood as a battle between God and Satan, the holy Spirit and the world of the demonic, as though they were equal partners in a contest. But d[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ualism of good and evil is not taught biblically. While we must not ignore the reality of spiritual warfare, it is never a contest between equals. Lasor, Hubbard, Bush also rightly state: “The Satan has access to the presence of Yahweh, yet is governed by his sovereignty. Nothing suggests that the Satan is anything other than God's creature, the biblical doctrine of creation rules out any true form of dualism” (1982 p. 494). [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] This, makes the beginning of Job even more puzzling. If there is no threat to God, why does he allow Satan to persecute Job? [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Murphy and Carm rightly state that a modern response would be “what kind of a God is that? Can there be anything more callous then this treatment of Job's family and possessions? A modern reaction might be that an omniscient and omnipotent God would not find this necessary.” (1999, p. 10). And indeed, why is this necessary, why is one man so important that: (1) Satan incites God's hand against him, and; (2) Allows the persecution in the first place? So understand we must look at ourselves in a universal light.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](Zuke, 1992, p. 146)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]We may doubt with Elihu, whether one person can make any appreciable difference. But the Bible rustles with hints that something like The Wager is played out in other believers as well. We are God's Exhibit A, his demonstration piece to the powers in the unseen world”. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Paul likened himself to a gladiators marching into the Colosseum on display. Humans have been made the spectacle to the universe, to angels and men (1 Cor 4.9). We will judge angels! (1 Cor 6:3). It is[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In this light that the question of God's allowance of us to be tested should be seen. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Humans are not insignificant by their actions, exactly the opposite; our earthly actions have universal ramifications. A short term mission trip sees Satan fall from the heavens (Luke 10:18); A[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] sinners repentance sets off celestial celebration (Luke 15:7); A baby's birth disturbs the entire universe (Rev 12). And even though most of this is hidden from our eyes we sometimes are still privy to tantalizing glimpses into the heavenly which make us see ourselves in a new universal light.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Although we are clearly valued, we must remain aware that although these pictures all point to a universal spiritual truth, we know the equivalent of 3 pieces of a 5000 piece jig-saw puzzle. We can speculate further but we must understand that it is just that; speculation.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](van Selms, 1984, p. 14) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In the notion that wisdom is the guiding principal also of God's actions, there may lurk a great danger. This is not so if one lets God's wisdom be God's; but it is dangerous if one equates it with human insight. Then the assumption is that the person can trace God's reasonings, even predicting how he will react to human deeds.” [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]God's wisdom is God's (Prov 8:22-31) and Perdue & Clark Gilpin, aptly state “within this complex universe God functions freely to monitor the intricacies of the system, to modulate its ebb and flow and to balance it's conflicting needs” (1992, p. 38). [/FONT]

O

OreoSoleil

This really is an amazing study -- One God has opened my eyes too -- that was me living life like there wasn't another realm around me.

My life is not comparable to Jobs --but I can see in my own life where a discussion like this would happen in my own. The Bible seems so much deeper to me now -- we don't battle against flesh and blood but against darkness.

awesome teaching

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Very good study.

I would only say that I do not believe that Satan has access to the throne of God now. Not since the day that Jesus made him an open shame of him in His resurrection.

I always heard it taught that the devil was going before God and accusing us of all of our sins. I don't believe so. God does not see our sins, because He has chosen not to see them. I don't believe that the devil is strong enough to make God look at something He has decided not to look at.

But the devil will and does accuse us, in our mind, of our sins, to bring us under condemnation, with the express purpose of keeping us out of God's presence. This was the mistake that Job made, not that he was wrong in his assertions, about how God was not holding any secret sin against him that brought all the calamity to him. But that he had become arrogant in his stance against repeated attempts to get him to admit to sin, he became arrogant against God.

But God humbles Job, and Job is humbled in His presence.

It is a very interesting study to see just what Job's three friends were accusing him of, and what Job was answering.

M

mrpower

Very good study.

I would only say that I do not believe that Satan has access to the throne of God now. Not since the day that Jesus made him an open shame of him in His resurrection.

I always heard it taught that the devil was going before God and accusing us of all of our sins. I don't believe so. God does not see our sins, because He has chosen not to see them. I don't believe that the devil is strong enough to make God look at something He has decided not to look at.

But the devil will and does accuse us, in our mind, of our sins, to bring us under condemnation, with the express purpose of keeping us out of God's presence. This was the mistake that Job made, not that he was wrong in his assertions, about how God was not holding any secret sin against him that brought all the calamity to him. But that he had become arrogant in his stance against repeated attempts to get him to admit to sin, he became arrogant against God.

But God humbles Job, and Job is humbled in His presence.

It is a very interesting study to see just what Job's three friends were accusing him of, and what Job was answering.
Thank you...

That's one of the ideas that inspired this study.
If you give the devil a foothold sure, he can come in and whisper condemnation whenever he wants. He can do worse..
But Job, being the best man on earth at the time wwas completely protected and God had to not only allow satan go against Job, but God even brought him up first. Satan makes no mention of Job before God does. Is that because he can't? Because he's so protected he's not even allowed? I dont know..
What does this mean for men and women who are hardcore in their faith, never giving the devil a foothold? Does God allow satan to torment them? Does He bring them up in similar conversations?
If satan has no access to heaven anymore, why do the most righteous of people (the jobs of our time if you will) still suffer? I have to believe it is because God allows it for a universal reason i cannot possibly comprehend at this stage.

Last edited:
M

mrpower

This really is an amazing study -- One God has opened my eyes too -- that was me living life like there wasn't another realm around me.

My life is not comparable to Jobs --but I can see in my own life where a discussion like this would happen in my own. The Bible seems so much deeper to me now -- we don't battle against flesh and blood but against darkness.

awesome teaching
None of this is really mine though. hahaha i just referenced from the bible and theological texts to the wazoo ;)
Thanks though :)

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Thank you...

That's one of the ideas that inspired this study.
If you give the devil a foothold sure, he can come in and whisper condemnation whenever he wants. He can do worse..
But Job, being the best man on earth at the time wwas completely protected and God had to not only allow satan go against Job, but God even brought him up first. Satan makes no mention of Job before God does. Is that because he can't? Because he's so protected he's not even allowed? I dont know..
What does this mean for men and women who are hardcore in their faith, never giving the devil a foothold? Does God allow satan to torment them? Does He bring them up in similar conversations?
If satan has no access to heaven anymore, why do the most righteous of people (the jobs of our time if you will) still suffer? I have to believe it is because God allows it for a universal reason i cannot possibly comprehend at this stage.
One of the great things about our God is that He can and does use things we would never consider to mold and forge us into what He wants us to be. Job, as God's servant, was one thing before his trial, and something else entirely after. Moses was one man before the burning bush, and something entirely different after. Peter was proud and brash and even a little boastful before the crucifixion, and something completely different after he was given over for Satan to sift him for a while.

Even the abuse, (yes, I call it abuse,) that Job's 3 friends gave him was working to change him, or at the very least to set him up for a confrontation with God.

Job was protected, being God's servant. Just as every servant of God has been protected, just not in the way we expect. I think we need to remember Jeremiah's trip to the potter. And that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

Thanks brother,

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
About Job's 3 friends, the devil was using them just as surely as all of the other things which went wrong. Even his wife turned against him, and these friends, they..............well, I read Job once in a different way. I assigned in my mind a different voice to each person involved in the debate, in order to help me keep straight what each person was saying, and the stance that they were taking. It was very enlightening.

blessing,