The Whole Counsel of God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1Covenant

I thought it would uplifting to start a thread where we could share those things (images, passages, examples, prophecy) that have personally strengthened our faith by perhaps showing how God's Word is consistent, comprehensive, or cohesive. Focusing on what relates from OT scripture to NT scripture what have you learned that has been an encouragement in this manner?

Two voluntary ground rules:
First: If there is a debate to be started lets start a new thread so as not to discourage further posting on this thread.
Second: Let's keep it to one example per post to avoid those really lengthy posts. But make as many posts for all your examples.

I'll start for example:

I appreciate how the NT imagery of salvation is foreshadowed and reflected in Genesis 2's account of Eve's creation.

• As Adam sleeps - so Christ dies
  • As Eve is made a new creation (a beautiful bride) from Adam - So the church is made a new Creation in Christ, a beautiful bride.
  • As God brings Eve to Adam - So the father draws the bride to Christ

1Covenant

Years ago, I was encouraged when the simple point was made that in the OT, on the Ark of the Covenant, the people of God looked to the mercy seat which sat over the top of the law.

And that John 20:12 is really the fullness of the Ark of the Covenant revealed. Christ who is the true High Priest (Aaron's budding rod), Christ who is the fulfillment of the law and the perfect lawkeeper (The tablets of the law), and Christ who is the manna come down from heaven (bowl of manna from the wilderness wanderings). These were the things in the Ark and Christ was the perfect atoning sacrifice sprinkled on the mercy seat between the angels.

M

motojojo

Christ who is the manna come down from heaven

D

DieuMerci

I appreciate how the NT imagery of salvation is foreshadowed and reflected in Genesis 2's account of Eve's creation.

• As Adam sleeps - so Christ dies
  • As Eve is made a new creation (a beautiful bride) from Adam - So the church is made a new Creation in Christ, a beautiful bride.
  • As God brings Eve to Adam - So the father draws the bride to Christ
good one!

1Covenant

Here is another image that I find a wonderful example that God does not change and he is preaching to Israel in types and shadows what he will openly perform later.

As the OT priests, prophets, and kings are a type and shadow of THE PROPHET, PRIEST, AND KING to come. It is also noteworthy that He never leaves his people without a guide.

I heard a pastor preach on the passage concerning Elijah's ascension in the whirlwind and Elisha's return to Israel. He made an interesting observation that this event was a foreshadowing of Christ's ascension and the Holy Spirit's return to the people of God. Christ, who some thought was Elijah, after His ascension now sends the Holy Spirit to the people of God.
In addition, on returning to Israel Elisha's first miracle is to heal the waters which is another reference that can be made to the Holy Spirit's work.

1Covenant

Consider this...this is a small detail, but again shows that God is consistent and progressive in his revelation. How uplifting are these two typological examples of the fulfillment of the promise that the seed of the woman would crush the seed of the serpent.

Samson's mother and Samuel's mother are both barren and unable to concieve.
Samson's mother is visited by an angel that proclaims she will give birth to a deliverer.
Samuel's mother (Hannah) pray's for a son that she might dedicate him to God. Hannah responds with a magnificat.
Both of these men are judges and deliverers of Israel.

Mary is not barren but equally unable to conceive in her present state.
Mary will likewise be visited by an Angel with a miraculous message that in her virgin womb she will bring forth the King whose Kingdom has no end, "a deliverer."
Mary responds with a magnificat that resembles Hannah's in many ways.

J

Jezreel

This is sad and get rid of this crap.

1Covenant

I hope others will post things as well, but if not I will slowly post more. Some few encouraging examples that the intent of God is consistent in His History. What else is true from the beginning?

Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.

that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ; to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, (I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud...

Now all these things happened to them (OT Israel) as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother’s righteous.

And now I plead with you, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment to you, but that which we have had from the beginning: that we love one another. This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it.

1Covenant

The themes of God's saving action from Abram to Moses to us.

God told Abram that “I am the LORD, who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans, to give you this land to inherit it.”
God told Moses and the people, " I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, to give you the land of Canaan and to be your God."
(Heb 11:13-16)
We too are brought out of a land and given the promise of God's dwelling with us and of heaven (the promise land).
Here is one passage...But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.
Here Peter in reference to our own calling out partially quotes Exodus 19, "You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.

Other themes between Abram and Moses:
God and Abram enter into a covenant after Abram is brought out.
God and Moses with the people enter into a covenant after they are brought out.

God foretold Abram in this same passage, that his descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve the inhabitants and be afflicted. And also the nation whom they serve God will judge; afterward they shall come out with great possessions...and be given the land of Canaan.

Which of course is Egypt and it happens but right in the middle of all this discussion of the exodus with Abram, is the verse - And it came to pass, when the sun went down and it was dark, that behold, there appeared a smoking oven and a burning torch that passed between those pieces.

And in the midst of the actual Exodus we have the pillar of cloud and fire. God testifies of himself to the people that it was the fulfillment of that promise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.