There is a difference between kill and murder

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I know the Bible says Thou Shalt not Kill.. What if a police officer kills someone in the line of duty? Is he guilty of murder? What if I break into your house and threaten your family and you kill me? Are you guilty if murder? No! You did what you had to do to protect your family? Same as the police officer.. he was just doing his job

W

wwjd_kilden

I think that is a dangerous assumption to make, we don't know what God thinks of it as he doesn't say "you can kill like this but not like that"

(Don't get me wrong, if someone threated my family, and I had a weapon, I would use it...) BUT:I would still see it, for my part, as murder if that person had died as a result

E

eternally-gratefull

I think that is a dangerous assumption to make, we don't know what God thinks of it as he doesn't say "you can kill like this but not like that"

(Don't get me wrong, if someone threated my family, and I had a weapon, I would use it...) BUT:I would still see it, for my part, as murder if that person had died as a result

God would not order anyone to sin, Yet God commanded Israel kill many people in the OT. Not only armies and nations, but execution.

I doubt God considered it murder when they did these things. I also believe if you did not "kill" to protect your family (if it came to that) God would hold you accountable for not saving your family. Only on the basis that you though killing was somehow an unpardonable sin. or as many put it a "mortal sin"

W

wwjd_kilden

The only unpardonable sin is blasphemy against the holy spirit

I didn't say I wouldn't do it, but I still think it would be a bad thing to do, even with good intent

C

Crazy4GODword

I know the Bible says Thou Shalt not Kill.. What if a police officer kills someone in the line of duty? Is he guilty of murder? What if I break into your house and threaten your family and you kill me? Are you guilty if murder? No! You did what you had to do to protect your family? Same as the police officer.. he was just doing his job
Kill is alright but murder is wrong.....KJV says kill but not murder.....that is not a big mistake but you should already know what that means.....its ok

See we kill to eat but to plan out a kill against the law and towards another person then it is murder.

Dec 19, 2009
Some people translate the Bible as “Do not kill,” and some as “Do not murder.”

I personally have no problem with people killing to defend themselves or others, though I am not the judge. Is a man to stand by and do nothing if someone is killing his children?

There is murder and there is killing to defend oneself (and others), but there is a third kind of killing—killing out of carelessness (manslaughter). I believe you will find this is a sin.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011

God would not order anyone to sin, Yet God commanded Israel kill many people in the OT. Not only armies and nations, but execution.

I doubt God considered it murder when they did these things. I also believe if you did not "kill" to protect your family (if it came to that) God would hold you accountable for not saving your family. Only on the basis that you though killing was somehow an unpardonable sin. or as many put it a "mortal sin"
I agree. Was David Guity of murder when he killed Goliath??

S

SantoSubito

In the Elizabethan English the word "kill" means the same as our "murder." The Hebrew word does mean murder though.

Feb 9, 2010
God said love your neighbor as yourself,so you are as important as your neighbor when it comes to protection,but the advise that Jesus gives is if someone smacks your cheek turn to him the other cheek to smack.

The Bible says do not resist evil,which means physical violence towards ourselves.We are to resist evil,spiritual,but we do not resist evil,physical.

Jesus said if physically abused do not physically abuse back,if verbally abused do not verbally abuse back.

I do not believe we are justified to kill anybody regardless of the circumstance.

Now that is a hard pill to swallow for some people to accept,that somebody can hurt their family and they cannot do anything about it,for they are not to do harm to anybody regardless of the situation,but to fight against them to hurt them is fleshy thinking and not spiritual.

The truth is if your family is under the protection of God no harm should come to them,like when Jesus could escape in the midst of the crowd when they sought to lay hands of them,for God was not ready to give us His body yet.
And also if your family is saved then they are alright,for to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord,and Jesus said do not fear those that can kill the body and then can do no more,but fear God.

It is hard for us to understand how we have to sit idly by because we cannot raise a hand to anybody,me included,but it is what God wants,let Him handle it,and God said vengeance is mine,I will repay,do not take matters in to your hands.

We know for sure,and do accept,that we cannot go around and pick fights and physically assault somebody,but we think we are justified to fight back if they start it,and are trying to do us and our loved ones physical harm,but God does not see it that way.
We think they deserve it for attacking us and people we care about.

To God,if you fight back and harm them,then you are no better than them that attacked you,and you are acting like them,and their is no justification to attack them even if they attack you first and the ones you care about,because you are to be different than the world and children of God,which Jesus said be harmless as doves.

Like Jesus said if you live by the sword you will die by the sword,for the same thing you dish out comes back on you.

Just like we cannot fight back if we personally are physically or verbally abused,we cannot fight against someone if they attack the ones we love,for we are to be different than this violent world,and God will handle it and provide protection,and if not they will be present with the Lord,and if not right with God then they do not have His protection,but the Bible says,that because you are saved,it sanctifies your children,which by the children were unclean,but by the believing parent the children are not holy(1 Corinthians 7:14),so the children are protected.

That's a hard one to grasp,not to fight back when attacked,but to believe we can attack back,is of the flesh,and not spiritually,and we might not understand it,but God knows spiritual ans sin,and says not to fight back.

7And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
8And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
9If any man have an ear, let him hear.
10He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints(Revelation 13:7-10).

The Bible says the saints will not be united with Christ until the beast,the man of sin,appears claiming to be God,and that is because God will not take His children home until the world takes the mark of the beast,in which they cannot repent of their sins anymore,and make war against the saints.

One day the beast system,under the rule of the man of sin,will make war against the saints,in which God gives a warning to the saints not to fight back,for if a saint takes a person captive during this war,he must receive captivity,and if he kills with the sword,he must be killed with the sword,which God says this is the patience and the faith of the saints to endure this and not fight back,for if they fight back they are putting themselves in the place of the cruel world and will be judged among them,unless they repent of course before the resurrection.

That means during this war they cannot fight back to protect themselves and cannot fight back to protect their fellow saints,whether they be family,or friends,and if they do have family that is not with Jesus and have taken the mark,then their family that took the mark will not care about them anyway as they go forth with the fury of a devil to fight the saints.

There is no justification because you are a police officer or in the military,for a saint should not be in those services if they might have to shoot someone,and God said all wars come from man not Him.

Last edited:

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
In the Elizabethan English the word "kill" means the same as our "murder." The Hebrew word does mean murder though.
Thanks for sharing that... some good information.. God bless you

Feb 14, 2011

yes there is a difference; one can kill someone with his car,thats not murder,but still someones life is taken because of neglect or some other reason. but hate or revenge is not the reason.

''wakeup''.

Feb 14, 2011

what ever God commands us to do we must do or he will punish,only God can kill.
if God says kill all, we better do kill all not one left. or he will punish. Gods purpose is always Good in the end.our own purpose is evil,we also will be punished. God kills to surve his good purpose,he does not want his special people to be contaminated with their leaven.

''wakeup''.

F

francina

Funny you should say that Wakeup, I just posted similar comments on the slavery & bible thread. What is sin, it is disobedience to God. When He determines that Israel or should destroy a nation completely , He condemned those Kings who did not obey & those men who discouraged the army. He explained to the King of Assyria that it was He God who ordained that he should destroy all the nations that he did which served other gods. As cruel & heathen as the Kingdom of Assyria was, it was God who planned it all. Now when God was ready to judge them, they were in trouble. There are principles in the bible that all should observe at all times. There are events in the bible ( a time for everything) that we must know the will of God for that time & are not automatic to all of us, like, off topic, but the 'prosperity doctrine'. He chooses to do certain things at certain times for a specific purpose.
Now, the bible specifically says that God ordained men to stand as judges & to have a sword for that purpose. The very first covenant after the Adamic Covenant was not Abrahamic but the covenant with Noah. God had just destroyed the world for it's violence & told Noah that if a man kills then his life should be taken in return & that even wild animals will be used to bring judgment.

N

NrDthExp

Jesus came to me in a near death exp. when I was 12. I had some visions at 35, now I'm 49. He said to me:

"All this concern over sin and evil saddens me. If you
concern yourself with sin and evil, you will see and reap sin and evil. I dedicated my life to teaching that the old covenant is dead. What the Pharisees taught was to keep you oppressed. As I have said, the letter of the law kills but the spirit gives life. To him that it is sin it is sin, but to him that it is not if it harms not, it is not. The law of God is written in the hearts of men, not in the Koran, Torah, not in the Bible. If you lack wisdom ask. Do as I did, look within for the Holy spirit. If the letter, the word, if the law, if my body, my blood was the path to salvation, than all would already be dust. If your right hand causes you to sin, then why haven't you cut it off? Why have you not plucked out your eye? Because just as you cannot be perfect with two hands or eyes, you will never be perfect with one.

What does your conscience tell you? Are your motives and intentions those of love and compassion? Then darkness cannot touch you. I am the son of Man...as are you. We are One. Do not worship me! I am not an idol, nor is my cross. I did not come that you would worship me, Jesus, but The Holy Spirit who dwells within me, and also within you. I was merely the first to expose the dangers of doctrine, the evil of politicizing spirit by creating a standard, a set of steps one must take to be loved without judgment. I stood up to those who could not tolerate the idea that God was not in the Torah, not in the Temple, but within them, and that they were in Him…that they and God were One as all is One. How can that which is imperfect be perfect…only All is perfect. No word, no matter if said by Moses or David or Mathew or Ruth…no word of any volume is less than written by God, or more than written by Man, and subject to the scrutiny of one's God-given mind. He who is greater than all imagining cannot be summed up by the words of anyone. Learn from the wisdom in the word but do not worship or exalt those words. I went to the Father so we could be One. We are all but drops in the same Ocean. Love thy Lord God with all your heart, mind and soul. Love your neighbor as yourself. Let compassion be your guide. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and nothing will separate you from God."