There Is No Such Thing As the Age of Accountability

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
Psalm 58:[SUP]3 [/SUP]The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

That also means there is no age of innocence. Granted, God will punish those who corrupt a child, but we were all born into sin.

Psalm 51:[SUP]5 [/SUP]Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

So what does that mean for parents? You can preach the gospel now to even the little babies. Talk about a captive audience for your testimonies and spiritual songs about the Lord Jesus Christ for lullabies.

Matthew 11:[SUP]25 [/SUP]At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.[SUP] 26 [/SUP]Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.[SUP]27 [/SUP]All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Even for pregnant mothers, you can pray to the Father that He will reveal His Son to your unborn child.

Psalm 139:[SUP]13 [/SUP]For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.[SUP] 14 [/SUP]I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.[SUP] 15 [/SUP]My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.[SUP] 16 [/SUP]Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.[SUP] 17 [/SUP]How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them![SUP]18 [/SUP]If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

Believe this truth that little children and babies are free to come to Him for all they can do is trust the Lord at His word.

Mark 10:[SUP]13 [/SUP]And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.[SUP] 14 [/SUP]But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.[SUP]15 [/SUP]Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

They need not do any works to make their simple faith in Him as saving faith. Believing in Him is saving faith.

Teaching children that are saved believers now, to ALSO trust in Him as their Good Shepherd since He is in them and is with them always to help them do the right thing and love others as He would lead & enable us to do is the job of the parent in leading by example too in your everyday lives. So trust the Lord today as your Good Shepherd to help you point them to Christ Jesus for all things; not just for salvation by simply believing in Him, but for getting to know Him & the power of His resurrection when by trusting Him as their Good Shepherd to take care of them and lead them in the way they ought to go in abiding in His words as kept in the KJV, they will see Him walk them through this valley of death to fear no evil.

Aug 16, 2016
Babies are unable to comprehend the scriptures in the womb as they are still developing. Unsure where you are getting at, there are no babies in Hell not to mention God is merciful. So even if a baby leave this world without hearing his word they will go to him.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Psalm 58:[SUP]3 [/SUP]The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

That also means there is no age of innocence. Granted, God will punish those who corrupt a child, but we were all born into sin.

Psalm 51:[SUP]5 [/SUP]Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

So what does that mean for parents? You can preach the gospel now to even the little babies. Talk about a captive audience for your testimonies and spiritual songs about the Lord Jesus Christ for lullabies.

Matthew 11:[SUP]25 [/SUP]At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.[SUP] 26 [/SUP]Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.[SUP]27 [/SUP]All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Even for pregnant mothers, you can pray to the Father that He will reveal His Son to your unborn child.

Psalm 139:[SUP]13 [/SUP]For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.[SUP] 14 [/SUP]I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.[SUP] 15 [/SUP]My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.[SUP] 16 [/SUP]Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.[SUP] 17 [/SUP]How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them![SUP]18 [/SUP]If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

Believe this truth that little children and babies are free to come to Him for all they can do is trust the Lord at His word.

Mark 10:[SUP]13 [/SUP]And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.[SUP] 14 [/SUP]But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.[SUP]15 [/SUP]Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

They need not do any works to make their simple faith in Him as saving faith. Believing in Him is saving faith.

Teaching children that are saved believers now, to ALSO trust in Him as their Good Shepherd since He is in them and is with them always to help them do the right thing and love others as He would lead & enable us to do is the job of the parent in leading by example too in your everyday lives. So trust the Lord today as your Good Shepherd to help you point them to Christ Jesus for all things; not just for salvation by simply believing in Him, but for getting to know Him & the power of His resurrection when by trusting Him as their Good Shepherd to take care of them and lead them in the way they ought to go in abiding in His words as kept in the KJV, they will see Him walk them through this valley of death to fear no evil.
David wrote a lot of Psalms suffering from the effects of depression. Those passages certainly do not indicate that a newborn child is sinful. Notice this is what David wrote, it did not say that God said this. If you want even more depressing statements read Ecclesiastes. Solomon, even with all of his wisdom did not use it wisely and was eventually led astray.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
That also means there is no age of innocence.
"Age of accountability" and "age of innocence" are actually two different concepts:

Age of accountability (culpability) = age at which a child can understand the meaning of sin, being a sinner, and needing a Savior, and understanding the Gospel

Age of innocence (or period of innocence) = period of childhood when a child has no idea of wrongdoing or conception of sin

The Human Condition
Because all human beings have descended from Adam, all carry the "virus" of the sin nature within their souls (Rom 5:12). So the issue becomes as to when God holds people accountable. Since God is perfectly just and righteousness, He will not demand accountability as a sinner from those who has no idea of sin. So babies and little children will not be held accountable.

The Age of Accountability
While there is no such specific term in the Bible, there comes a time when a child begins to understand the Gospel. It could range from 5 to 15 years. But there is no question that it is only those who understand the meaning of "repentance" who must respond to the Gospel in faith. Please note that God commands all MEN everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30). That assumes adulthood.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Children are not saved at birth...........however, that does not do away with the fact that they are also not held accountable for their sins for a period of time...........so, I guess there really is an age of accountability........well, as far as I am concerned.

Once the reach an age where they are able to understand the difference between good and evil, what is and what is not a sin, and the state of personal responsibility........then they are held accountable. However, I do not thing there is a SET age. I think it varies.........from person to person.

Newborn infants "christened" are NOT SAVED. They just have a wet head.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Christening or infant baptism does not save newborn infants. However, if an infant were to die, he or she is covered by the blood of Christ, who shed His blood for the sins of the world. God justifies sinners through faith, but since infants and little children cannot possibly exercise that faith, God has already made full provision for their salvation until they can be held accountable.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Well, yes, that is what I said in my comment........???

Christening or infant baptism does not save newborn infants. However, if an infant were to die, he or she is covered by the blood of Christ, who shed His blood for the sins of the world. God justifies sinners through faith, but since infants and little children cannot possibly exercise that faith, God has already made full provision for their salvation until they can be held accountable.

May 12, 2017
Well, yes, that is what I said in my comment........???
This one loves the sound of his own voice and he carries a KJV Bible....like Matt Dillon carried a Colt.....

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
Babies are unable to comprehend the scriptures in the womb as they are still developing.
Our believing in Him is done by the Father revealing His Son to us. No man can come to the Son unless the Father draws him, ( John 6:44 ) and that includes babies, because intelligence nor human comprehension takes credit for our believing in Him when it is the Father that reveals His Son to us, even unborn babies as I dare say, that enables any one to believe.

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
David wrote a lot of Psalms suffering from the effects of depression.
Well.. he certainly has just cause to be depressed when he had written it. I am sure he was not suffering from clinical depression.

Those passages certainly do not indicate that a newborn child is sinful.
There are a lot of scripture written in prophecies about Jesus Christ that would be obscure until afterwards where it is obvious that the Psalms were prophetic of Jesus Christ.

And you can not have a lie accepted as part of scripture and so the Psalm testimony of babies even being conceived in sin is the truth in His words. Babies need Jesus Christ as the Saviour as much as any older child does.

Notice this is what David wrote, it did not say that God said this. If you want even more depressing statements read Ecclesiastes. Solomon, even with all of his wisdom did not use it wisely and was eventually led astray.
Scripture lays out the truth whether we like it or not, and yes, even Solomon needed Jesus as His Saviour too.

David's psalms would not be considered as scripture unless he was speaking truth as moved by the Holy Ghost.

2 Peter 1:[SUP]19 [/SUP]We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:[SUP] 20 [/SUP]Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.[SUP] 21 [/SUP]For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
"Age of accountability" and "age of innocence" are actually two different concepts:

Age of accountability (culpability) = age at which a child can understand the meaning of sin, being a sinner, and needing a Savior, and understanding the Gospel

Age of innocence (or period of innocence) = period of childhood when a child has no idea of wrongdoing or conception of sin
If there is no age of accountability, then there is no age of innocence. The scripture proves this.

The Human Condition
Because all human beings have descended from Adam, all carry the "virus" of the sin nature within their souls (Rom 5:12). So the issue becomes as to when God holds people accountable. Since God is perfectly just and righteousness, He will not demand accountability as a sinner from those who has no idea of sin. So babies and little children will not be held accountable.

The Age of Accountability
While there is no such specific term in the Bible, there comes a time when a child begins to understand the Gospel. It could range from 5 to 15 years. But there is no question that it is only those who understand the meaning of "repentance" who must respond to the Gospel in faith. Please note that God commands all MEN everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30). That assumes adulthood.
Thanks for sharing, but the point is... parents should share the gospel of Jesus Christ to their babies & children and lead by example in how they trust Jesus Christ as their Good Shepherd to help them abide in His words in following Him.

Little children can be a light unto the world too.... by living by their faith in Jesus Christ for all things.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
This one loves the sound of his own voice and he carries a KJV Bible....like Matt Dillon carried a Colt.....
More personal attacks instead of Bible truth. That's par for the course. When people attack others instead of dealing with doctrine, it indicates a DEFICIENCY in the attacker.

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
Children are not saved at birth...........however, that does not do away with the fact that they are also not held accountable for their sins for a period of time...........so, I guess there really is an age of accountability........well, as far as I am concerned.
Do you have scripture to support that?

Deuteronomy 24:[SUP]16 [/SUP]The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Once the reach an age where they are able to understand the difference between good and evil, what is and what is not a sin, and the state of personal responsibility........then they are held accountable. However, I do not thing there is a SET age. I think it varies.........from person to person.
If Jesus says for His disciples to let the little children come to Him, then when preaching the gospel, even the children are accountable if they believe in Him or not.

I agree.

However, with the pre trib rapture being imminent, it would not hurt for christian pregnant mothers to pray for the Father to reveal His Son to the unborn so they can believe in Him and be saved and taken by the Bridegroom too. I know that believers automatically assume that unborn babies, and little children will be taken, but it wouldn't hurt to pray for them as well as share the gospel and their faith in Jesus Christ with the little ones.

It is ironic how parents will feel free moreso to tell stories about Santa Clause & the Easter Bunny but yet neglect sharing so great a salvation in Christ Jesus for their little children and their newborns.

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
Our believing in Him is a work of God the Father Himself. With faith being one of the fruits of the Spirit, we can trust God the Father to reveal His Son to any babe or little child since nothing is impossible with God.

So if the truth can be hidden from the wise and the prudent, what does human comprehension play in the role of our believing in Him? Absolutely nothing.

That's right. Even the autistic child and the mentally handicapped can be saved. Even those in psychiatric care that seem to be off in their own little world cane be saved if the Father is willing to reveal His Son to them so they can believe in Him to be saved.

Apr 15, 2017

If a baby,or a young child,cannot comprehend fully the truth,then how can they be held accountable.They would have to be able to comprehend right and wrong,correctly,and understand their need for God,before they are held accountable.

We are born in to sin because we have a choice between good and evil,so we are born not knowing God,so we will do evil before we acknowledge God in the truth.

The sin of Adam and Eve does not fall upon us when born,for that is their sin,but they gave all humanity a choice between good and evil.

Also when the Bible sometimes mentions a person wicked from the womb it means that as an adult they were wicked,and they did not change,which God is pointing out the terribleness of their wickedness that they were like that their whole life,not meaning that they were actually wicked as a baby.

For a baby is not wicked,neither can be,but as they grow older they will sin before they come to God.Babies are innocent,and are innocent later on until they know wrong is wrong,and fully comprehend that,and the first step to being right with God is to repent,which a baby would not understand that.

Heb 1:13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
Heb 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Angels are ministering spirits sent to minister to all those who shall inherit salvation.

That means the world does not have angels assigned to them,and that minister to them,but only those that shall inherit salvation,which the angels desire to look in to the salvation of the saints,for they will have a higher position in heaven.

Mat 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Do not despise one of the little ones,for their angels,THEIR ANGELS,always behold the face of the Father for the little ones.

Now why would the little ones have angels that always behold the face for them,if the angels are sent only to those that shall inherit eternal life.

There is only one conclusion,THEY ARE INNOCENT,until they know that wrong is wrong fully,which they will,and we all sin before we get right with God,but until we know right from wrong,and can decipher clearly,then we are innocent.

It is either that or the angels protect them spiritually in their volnerable state from the devil,which would still mean they are innocent,because the devil cannot touch them.

Z

Zi

David said of his infant that died that the baby could not return to him but he could go where he is.. So where is David? In Hell? I don't think so

Sep 3, 2016
The Age of Accountability as Defined by God

• Preceding paragraphs have shown that the Word of Go says children are not fully capable of distinguishing between good and evil (Deu. 1:39, Isa 7:16).
  • Numbers 14:29 and Deuteronomy 1:39 establish the precedent that God will NOT hold children responsible when He brings judgment for sin.
  • What is a "child?" By inference from Numbers 14:29, a "child" is a person who is aged 19 or younger.
  • CONCLUSION: Only those persons age 20 and older are held accountable for sin.

Every one that passeth among them that are numbered, from twenty years old and above, shall give an offering unto the LORD. Exodus 30:14

God commanded those who were twenty years old and above to pay a ransom for their souls because anyone nineteen years and below were consider by God to be children and were under the protective head of the household. If he was only nineteen he was not old enough to pay a ransom for his own soul, he was still covered under his father as ransom.

God will confirm this again in two other places of scripture. I am a firm believer in the "two witness theory," which is that there should be at least two scriptures to verify any Bible teaching that we use.

He decided to punish them by allowing them to die in the Wilderness. Israel was condemned to wander for the next forty years in the Wilderness while these people died. But God did not sentence everyone to die in the Wilderness. Along with Joshua, Caleb and their families he spared the children of those that had sinned against him. Anyone who was twenty years and older was condemned to die in the Wilderness because God held them accountable for their sin against him. But God in his mercy spared the children. Anyone who was nineteen years and under were spared and not held accountable because God saw them as children. Above are some of the scriptures to confirm this.

Last edited:

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
If a baby,or a young child,cannot comprehend fully the truth,then how can they be held accountable.They would have to be able to comprehend right and wrong,correctly,and understand their need for God,before they are held accountable.
I believe the post from MessageOfTheCross has some scripture which seems to testify to the age of accountability as set by God for the people of Israel regarding whom was allowed in the promised land out of the people that were in rebellion.

I have yet to discern that post with Him for confirmation as to its application for what I am sharing in the OP as an exhortation to parents to preach the gospel to even babes.

We are born in to sin because we have a choice between good and evil,so we are born not knowing God,so we will do evil before we acknowledge God in the truth.
Not sure we are born not knowing God.

Romans 1:[SUP]18 [/SUP]For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;[SUP] 19 [/SUP]Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.[SUP] 20 [/SUP]For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:[SUP] 21 [/SUP]Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.[SUP]22 [/SUP]Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

The sin of Adam and Eve does not fall upon us when born,for that is their sin,but they gave all humanity a choice between good and evil.
The consequence of that sin of Adam & Eve is death as that does fall upon us. Children and even babies die as a result of inherited sin and thus without the choice between good and evil and so I cannot fathom your statement as being Biblical in truth.

Also when the Bible sometimes mentions a person wicked from the womb it means that as an adult they were wicked,and they did not change,which God is pointing out the terribleness of their wickedness that they were like that their whole life,not meaning that they were actually wicked as a baby.
Children can lie. I know. I was tempted to lie and I knew it was a lie to gain favor and love from my babysitter, but she warned me that in Heaven, she would know the truth, and so I best tell her the truth. I even had lied when I was in high school and that was before the age of accountability as set by God that the poster "MessageOfTheCross" seem to be applying to all humanity including for all other circumstances even for the nation of Israel. I have yet to discern that with Him of that application at that throne of grace though.

For a baby is not wicked,neither can be,but as they grow older they will sin before they come to God.Babies are innocent,and are innocent later on until they know wrong is wrong,and fully comprehend that,and the first step to being right with God is to repent,which a baby would not understand that.
I believe some sins are not understood as sins to adult sinners past the age of accountability if we go by MessageOfTheCross application of the scripture to be applied to my OP about preaching the gospel to babes even.

I still say parents can preach the gospel to babes and even little children. Certainly, a lot of churches have preached the gospel to teenagers and young adults before the age of 20.

Heb 1:13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
Heb 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Angels are ministering spirits sent to minister to all those who shall inherit salvation.

That means the world does not have angels assigned to them,and that minister to them,but only those that shall inherit salvation,which the angels desire to look in to the salvation of the saints,for they will have a higher position in heaven.
Interesting. I learned something new here today. I thank you, Lord.

Mat 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Do not despise one of the little ones,for their angels,THEIR ANGELS,always behold the face of the Father for the little ones.

Now why would the little ones have angels that always behold the face for them,if the angels are sent only to those that shall inherit eternal life.

There is only one conclusion,THEY ARE INNOCENT,until they know that wrong is wrong fully,which they will,and we all sin before we get right with God,but until we know right from wrong,and can decipher clearly,then we are innocent.

It is either that or the angels protect them spiritually in their volnerable state from the devil,which would still mean they are innocent,because the devil cannot touch them.
A correction in regards to your use of little ones in Matthew 18th chapter. I am sure it can be applied to children, but little ones are babes in Christ; new believers. I see this because little ones refers to those that have gone astray which can be applied to adults that are babes in Christ.

Matthew 18:[SUP]10 [/SUP]Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.[SUP] 11 [/SUP]For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.[SUP]12 [/SUP]How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? [SUP]13 [/SUP]And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray. [SUP]14 [/SUP]Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish. [SUP]15 [/SUP]Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. [SUP]16 [/SUP]But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. [SUP]17 [/SUP]And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Indeed... another confirmation can be found here..

1 Corinthians 3:1And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.[SUP]2 [/SUP]I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

I believe God the Father is able to reveal His Son to little children and even babes wherein they are able to believe in Him to be saved.

I may be wrong in saying that there is no age of accountability, but I have yet to discern if what MessageOfTheCross references of God's rule of accountability applies to all believers for all situations or it was just for rejecting those in rebellion in denying them entrance to the Promised Land and not the generations following that had no knowledge of that rebellion.

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
The Age of Accountability as Defined by God

• Preceding paragraphs have shown that the Word of Go says children are not fully capable of distinguishing between good and evil (Deu. 1:39, Isa 7:16).
  • Numbers 14:29 and Deuteronomy 1:39 establish the precedent that God will NOT hold children responsible when He brings judgment for sin.
  • What is a "child?" By inference from Numbers 14:29, a "child" is a person who is aged 19 or younger.
  • CONCLUSION: Only those persons age 20 and older are held accountable for sin.

Every one that passeth among them that are numbered, from twenty years old and above, shall give an offering unto the LORD. Exodus 30:14

God commanded those who were twenty years old and above to pay a ransom for their souls because anyone nineteen years and below were consider by God to be children and were under the protective head of the household. If he was only nineteen he was not old enough to pay a ransom for his own soul, he was still covered under his father as ransom.

God will confirm this again in two other places of scripture. I am a firm believer in the "two witness theory," which is that there should be at least two scriptures to verify any Bible teaching that we use.

He decided to punish them by allowing them to die in the Wilderness. Israel was condemned to wander for the next forty years in the Wilderness while these people died. But God did not sentence everyone to die in the Wilderness. Along with Joshua, Caleb and their families he spared the children of those that had sinned against him. Anyone who was twenty years and older was condemned to die in the Wilderness because God held them accountable for their sin against him. But God in his mercy spared the children. Anyone who was nineteen years and under were spared and not held accountable because God saw them as children. Above are some of the scriptures to confirm this.
I may be wrong in saying that there is no age of accountability, but I have yet to discern if what your references of God's rule of accountability applies to all believers for all situations or it was just for rejecting those in rebellion in denying them entrance to the Promised Land and not the generations following that had no knowledge of that rebellion.

Mark 10:13-15 has Jesus inviting little children to come to Him and so I still say parents are free to share the gospel to their children... and even to their babies for all they can do is trust Him at His word, and since it is on the Father to reveal His Son to them so that they can believe, there is no real reason not to share the gospel to them for with God, all things are possible.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
In some sects of Judaism there is a ritual for the children called right of passage at the age of 12. And in the OT, there is the age mentioned of either 20 or 21, for a young married man to remain at home with his wife before going to war. I've always wondered if 21 that we have chosen for a time reference of maturity came from this.