This Jezebel woman, does Jesus scold her for being a woman teacher or teaching false

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GreenNnice

Which is it ?

And, is Jesus in this Revelations 2 Scripture saying that Jezebel is not only a prophet but a teacher ?

Note: This is not the Jezebel that killed all those people and chased Elijah in the Old Testament.

Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. 21I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. 22So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. 23I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds. 24Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets, ‘I will not impose any other burden on you, 25except to hold on to what you have until I come.’

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BeanieD

"By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. 21I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. 22So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely..."

I think these words say it all, Calls herself a prophet, but..........By her teaching. She is totaly leading others astray, and refuses God.

N

nathan3

I recommend the study here.

It has to do with the end times, those churches. The Jezebel is a church today that leads people away from God into worshiping Satan with fake teachings. Antichrist is who Revelation talks about. So if you don't understand that is who its ultimately talking about, then your going to be mislead. You have to update it today. It has nothing to do with women teachers.

revelation

If you want a better study then these let me know.

Last edited:

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
I believe the Jezebel referred to in Revelation is a common term for all false teachers who lead others into sexual immorality under the guise of it being okay and acceptable, rather than the queen in the Old Testament, as at the time that Jesus was speaking to Paul, that Jezebel was long dead.

J

jimmydiggs

I believe the Jezebel referred to in Revelation is a common term for all false teachers who lead others into sexual immorality under the guise of it being okay and acceptable, rather than the queen in the Old Testament, as at the time that Jesus was speaking to Paul, that Jezebel was long dead.
Paul having previoously been a Pharisee would have known the Old Testament quite well.

J

jimmydiggs

teach·ing
ˈtēCHiNG/
noun
noun: teaching; plural noun: teachings

the occupation, profession, or work of a teacher.
    ideas or principles taught by an authority.

#1 fits best in the grand scheme, but in the most immediate it is the second.

"she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols."

The misleading is directly a result of what she teaches, but is ultimately a result of her being in a position of teaching.

Dec 19, 2009
Which is it ?

And, is Jesus in this Revelations 2 Scripture saying that Jezebel is not only a prophet but a teacher ?

Note: This is not the Jezebel that killed all those people and chased Elijah in the Old Testament.
She is leading people into sexual immorality. That would be wrong, no matter who did it, and there's a lot of that going on today.

Feb 9, 2010
Jesus is saying that she claims to be a prophet but she is not and she teaches the people false things,but did not say that she should not teach because she is a woman.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
Paul having previoously been a Pharisee would have known the Old Testament quite well.
Yes, he did know the O.T. very well. However, John was the one on Patmos that Jesus was speaking to. He did know the O.T. very well, too. :) However, in regards to this portion of Scripture, Jesus is speaking about false prophets and teachers that lead the church astray with immoral practices and teachings, which we actually see very much these days. :) The important thing is to know God and His word and to be sensitive to what is being taught, not just eating it up and not studying the word for oneself. :) This was a hard lesson for me to learn, but learn it I have. :)

G

GreenNnice

Jesus is saying that she claims to be a prophet but she is not and she teaches the people false things,but did not say that she should not teach because she is a woman.
This is telling, a prophet CAN teach even though she is a woman.

That's really all I'm saying in this thread, but, yeah, several good insights from you all, God bless ya ! :)
-------------------------------------
I also think that 'Jezebel' was a term referring NOT to a church sub-category, but, to an actual person, a female in a church, who is catergorized as an evil person, like the Old Testament Jezebel was exactly. But, no, it's not referring to her in OT. That would be awkward wording, especially when Jesus just gets done giving the 7 churches instruction and insight on what kind of churches they are and what kind of churches He knows they can be :)
Jezebel is a woman that was in one of those churches, it was a real woman but her name was not said specifically.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
why are you convinced that the Jezebel spirit is not an allegory but an (actual woman) who is instead an (false prophet)?

I

Imperfect

"By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. 21I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. 22So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely..."

I think these words say it all, Calls herself a prophet, but..........By her teaching. She is totaly leading others astray, and refuses God.
quoted for emphasis.

she seduced men into having sex with her using the Lords word and adding a little twist, but loved her sexual life and refused to own her sin and confess & repent.

watching this woman try to preach, 1st thing that came to my mind when i 1st saw her was, "JEZEBEL". not sure if im crossing the line, but it is on subject. if its too much, mods feel free to delete video.

[video=youtube;zw4RVstpV_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw4RVstpV_M[/video]

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
Sorry that I said Paul in my original post. :) I meant John, of course. I looked back many days after and saw that I had said Paul and thought, Hmmmm, I should probably apologize for that. :)

John was the writer of Revelation, the one that Jesus dictated His letters to the churches to, as I'm sure you all know. Once again, sorry that I put Paul. :)

G

GreenNnice

why are you convinced that the Jezebel spirit is not an allegory but an (actual woman) who is instead an (false prophet)?

By her teaching, she....

“To the angel of the church in Thyatira write:These are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are like blazing fire and whose feet are like burnished bronze. 19I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first.
20Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. 21I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. 22So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. 23I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.
------------ It's a singular 'her' , a female, in this Thyatira church performing these lude acts and leading the people of THIS church astray, and, she is MADE an example by 'the Son of God.' :)

iamHissoandso, I think that 'her' referring to 'she' makes this not an allegorical spirit ,she was infiltrating the church of Thyatira with a spirit of possession and deception and lust, being led by Satan.

God proves her, very simply, too, that His wrath will be COMPLETE --Jezebel will have her children die and she will suffer herself greatly--because of going against God. She knew better, but Jezebel chose 'worse.'

This is a lesson for all who might want to false teach others with a genuinely deceiving heart, your wickedness and spirit of sin will NOT be cooly handled by God in your favor, your complete turning away from Him will cause you great grief , and, if completely turning away, you will not see Him in heaven :(

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Married_Richenbrachen

I would say that Jesus' primary rebuke against those who listened to the false prophet Jezebel, was because of her false teaching. But perhaps the reason her teaching was false was because she was a woman teacher? Remember what Paul says about women not to have authority over men, and the reason he gives:

1 Time 2:11 - 16Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Perhaps this Jezebel, ignoring our Lord's instructions for women to be in submission, was deceived by the devil, as Eve before her.

G

GreenNnice

I would say that Jesus' primary rebuke against those who listened to the false prophet Jezebel, was because of her false teaching. But perhaps the reason her teaching was false was because she was a woman teacher? Remember what Paul says about women not to have authority over men, and the reason he gives:

1 Time 2:11 - 16Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Perhaps this Jezebel, ignoring our Lord's instructions for women to be in submission, was deceived by the devil, as Eve before her.

You are assuming that this Jezebel was a false teacher' because she was a woman, and, you assume falsely, richenJesus
You do put a "?" mark in your assumption, that is good. And, your answer to your question is that she was reprimanded for her false teaching because she taught falsely . It wasn't THAT SHE WAS A WOMAN . :)

K

KittenofMelchisedek

Hey, I just want to honor the strong feelings you have on this matter GreenNnice. Will you share with us why you are so passionate? Are you a teacher? Perhaps you would be edified by reading this passage in the KJV in which Jezebel calls herself a prophetess. Or are you a prophetess? My thinking is any scripture can be read on multiple levels. So all at once, to me, this passage says: That there was a sorceress of some sort in Thyatira at the time causing trouble, that the church should know better than to fall for tactics that have been used against her and against Israel (like come on guys, where were you on that one), and it tells me that there is a female spirit that exists in the spiritual realm of the powers and principalities (which were orders of Angels I believe but don't quote me) and that the influence of this spirit is causing spiritual and literal adultery within the church. I also am starting to think on another level lately, like maybe every person and every fellowship can pass through periods of growth and judgement which are witnessed to by these verses. So there's a lot of info that can be extrapolated. One thing I've been learning lately is the difference between walking by faith and by sight. Also, the judgement is given to the church itself, for suffering or allowing "jezebel" to teach and seduce, but the wrath is poured out in her "children". Rev 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; And all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts, and I will give every one of you according to their works." We have a plague right now of men who are not allowed to take their mother, wife, aunt, sister, aside and hush her up. Like right now. I can sit here and go on and on. But I need to be careful not to hold a false doctrine, or know the depths of satan as I speak. Which is really hard sometimes, no lie. I'm looking at the youth in America, though, as an aside, and I'm seeing the death as they're being killed with it, and they know it, and they're angry, and we can outlaw guns and it wont matter to them a bit.