Tired of people saying love is an action, not a feeling

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 20, 2016
I think the title is pretty self-explanatory. Love is not just an action, and it's not just a feeling. It's both. It's a feeling put into action. And by feeling, I'm not talking about that high you're on when you're "in love." Yes, at times in relationships there will be emotional roller coasters.

But here's the thing. You can act loving toward someone and do loving things for them without actually loving them. If you and your spouse can't stand each other, just staying together because you're "supposed to," is not a good enough reason. I'm not saying you should divorce, I'm saying you have to remember what made you love that person in the first place.

And by the way, commitment is for people who do not love. Commitment isn't even an issue if you truly love your spouse.

Yes, I know what the bible says about love in 1 Corinthians 13. But you know what? God would not have sent Jesus to die for us if he didn't feel any love for us. That is love put into action. He didn't have to do it, but he did it because he loved us. And let's not forget, Jesus was a human being with emotions, and he was sinless.

Now that we've discussed what love is, let's discuss what it's not.

"Love" is not patient when it says God will leave you if you mess up too many times.
"Love" is not kind when it says God will love us if we do good works. No, that's manipulation.
"Love" envies when it yells about God's jealousy which, by the way, is different from worldly jealousy (Which is not "Oh he's God, so he can do whatever he wants.")
"Love" boasts when it believes that all the things it doesn't do (wear jeans, listen to rock, visit the beach) makes it special.
"Love" is proud when it claims to have all the answers, even though no one truly does, and has nothing else to learn. You can be genuinely convicted theologically that women aren't equal to men or that slavery is right. Doesn't mean either one is.
"Love" dishonors others when it tells them poverty is their fault. (And I'm talking real poverty, not simply lazy people)
"Love" is self-seeking when more members mean more tithes.
"Love" is easily angered when seeing a public figure's political party is enough to raise blood pressure, before they even say anything.
"Love" keeps a record of wrongs when it shames girls who had premarital sex.
"Love" delights in evil when it laughs in response to child abuse allegations.
"Love" does not rejoice with the truth when it covers up child abuse to protect a "great" man's reputation.
"Love" does not protect when it tells a woman to stay with her abusive husband.
"Love" does not trust when it prejudges a woman's salvation because she works and sends her kids to school.
"Love" does not hope when it declares that society is going to hell in a handbasket because women vote.
"Love" does not persevere when it kicks "nonconforming" people out on the street to "protect" others.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
1 John 4:19-21, "We love Him, because He first loved us. If anyone says: I love YHWH, and hates his neighbor, he is a liar; for he who does not love his neighbor whom he has seen, how can he love YHWH Whom he has not seen? For we have this commandment from Him: That he who loves YHWH must love his neighbor also."

Mat 24:12, "And because iniquity will abound, the love of the many will grow cold."

1 Yahanan /John 2:3-7, “And by this we know that we know Him, if we guard His commands. The one who says, “I know Him,” and does not guard His commands, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever guards His Word, truly the love of Yah has been perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. The one who says he stays in Him ought himself also to walk, even as He walked. Beloved, I write no fresh command to you, but an old command which you have had from the beginning. The old command is the Word which you heard from the beginning.”

1 Corinthians 13:4, "Love is patient, is kind, love does not envy, love does not boast, is not puffed up,"13:5, "does not behave indecently, does not seek its own, is not provoked, reckons not the evil,"13:6, "does not rejoice over the unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth,"13:7, "it covers all, believes all, expects all, endures all."13:8, "Love never fails. And whether there be prophecies, they shall be inactive; or tongues, they shall cease; or knowledge, it shall be inactive."

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Psalms 25:14-18, “The secret of [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]יהוה [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]is with those who fear Him, And He makes His covenant known to them. My eyes are ever toward [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]יהוה[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif], For He brings my feet out of the net. Turn Your face to me, and show me favor, For I am lonely and afflicted. The distresses of my heart have enlarged; Oh, bring me out of my distresses! Look on my affliction and my toil, And forgive all my sins.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Lamentations 3:22-24, “The kindnesses of [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]יהוה [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]! For we have not been consumed, For His compassions have not ended. They are new every morning, Great is Your trustworthiness. “[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]יהוה [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]is my Portion,” says my being, “Therefore I wait for Him!”[/FONT]

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Commitment isn't even an issue if you truly love your spouse.
I really liked this.

Love never betrays.

Psalm 119:90, "Your faithfulness continues throughout all generations; You established the earth, and it stands."

We are to be like Him right...

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Effort is the evidence of love. Can love exist without evidence? Yes it can. For example, if someone is in a wheelchair and unable to do a specific loving deed, it does not necessarily mean that they wouldn’t if they could, or visa versa. But if someone is able, and they don’t respond with effort, then they are in denial that there’s love in their heart.

“If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?” 1 John 3:17

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2016
I said that love isn't ONLY a feeling or ONLY an action. It's a feeling put into action.

Paul said he could give all he possessed to the poor, but if he did it without love it means nothing.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
I said that love isn't ONLY a feeling or ONLY an action. It's a feeling put into action.

Paul said he could give all he possessed to the poor, but if he did it without love it means nothing.
If that is directed at me, I was agreeing with you, and backing up what you were saying- for others to read.

Aug 2, 2009
Love is both a noun and a verb...

When Jesus said, "Love your neighbor" (verb), he did not mean for us to feel a deep sense of affection or admiration towards them. He meant for us to help them in times of need, to be friendly towards them, to be good to them.

When one falls in love, it is a feeling (noun) that you want to always be with that person. That you wish that person felt that way towards you. That nothing makes you happier in this world than to spend time with that person.

Anyway, there's one thing that's certain... Love is a boat..:rolleyes:

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
I think the title is pretty self-explanatory. Love is not just an action, and it's not just a feeling. It's both. It's a feeling put into action. And by feeling, I'm not talking about that high you're on when you're "in love." Yes, at times in relationships there will be emotional roller coasters.

But here's the thing. You can act loving toward someone and do loving things for them without actually loving them. If you and your spouse can't stand each other, just staying together because you're "supposed to," is not a good enough reason. I'm not saying you should divorce, I'm saying you have to remember what made you love that person in the first place.

And by the way, commitment is for people who do not love. Commitment isn't even an issue if you truly love your spouse.

Yes, I know what the bible says about love in 1 Corinthians 13. But you know what? God would not have sent Jesus to die for us if he didn't feel any love for us. That is love put into action. He didn't have to do it, but he did it because he loved us. And let's not forget, Jesus was a human being with emotions, and he was sinless.

Now that we've discussed what love is, let's discuss what it's not.

"Love" is not patient when it says God will leave you if you mess up too many times.
"Love" is not kind when it says God will love us if we do good works. No, that's manipulation.
"Love" envies when it yells about God's jealousy which, by the way, is different from worldly jealousy (Which is not "Oh he's God, so he can do whatever he wants.")
"Love" boasts when it believes that all the things it doesn't do (wear jeans, listen to rock, visit the beach) makes it special.
"Love" is proud when it claims to have all the answers, even though no one truly does, and has nothing else to learn. You can be genuinely convicted theologically that women aren't equal to men or that slavery is right. Doesn't mean either one is.
"Love" dishonors others when it tells them poverty is their fault. (And I'm talking real poverty, not simply lazy people)
"Love" is self-seeking when more members mean more tithes.
"Love" is easily angered when seeing a public figure's political party is enough to raise blood pressure, before they even say anything.
"Love" keeps a record of wrongs when it shames girls who had premarital sex.
"Love" delights in evil when it laughs in response to child abuse allegations.
"Love" does not rejoice with the truth when it covers up child abuse to protect a "great" man's reputation.
"Love" does not protect when it tells a woman to stay with her abusive husband.
"Love" does not trust when it prejudges a woman's salvation because she works and sends her kids to school.
"Love" does not hope when it declares that society is going to hell in a handbasket because women vote.
"Love" does not persevere when it kicks "nonconforming" people out on the street to "protect" others.

Excellent post!

The Greek language has 3 nouns and 3 verbs which ate translated to English as 'love':

The verb eraw (er ah' oh) and the noun eros refer to the sexual attraction a man and woman feel for each other.
The verb philaw (phil ay oh') and the noun philis refer to friendship, or fondness.
The verb agapaw (ah gah pah' oh) and the noun agape refer to seeking the best interests of the person loved regardless how you personally feel about them. This is the only kind of love that can be commanded.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
Excellent post!

The verb agapaw (ah gah pah' oh) and the noun agape refer to seeking the best interests of the person loved regardless how you personally feel about them. This is the only kind of love that can be commanded.

Well said! Until you live an "agape" love, you will not understand it. And usually if you begin with that definition, feelings often follow.

Dec 12, 2013
I thought Love was a command and a spiritual gift....biblical love that is.....

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I thought Love was a command and a spiritual gift....biblical love that is.....
It is that plus attitudes, a way of life, actions (speaking louder than words), as well as feelings. We do not read about the Good Samaritan's feelings but his actions illustrated love for his "neighbor". "Agape" is God's love in action, and it can also include rebuke, reproof and chastening. Jesus said As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. (Rev 3:19). So love also demands repentance. Applying the Ten Commandments to our lives is also love in action, as Paul tells us in Romans 13.

Dec 12, 2013
It is that plus attitudes, a way of life, actions (speaking louder than words), as well as feelings. We do not read about the Good Samaritan's feelings but his actions illustrated love for his "neighbor". "Agape" is God's love in action, and it can also include rebuke, reproof and chastening. Jesus said As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. (Rev 3:19). So love also demands repentance.
Obviously.....was directed at the post about feelings....

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Real love according to Yah is based in His word and ways. It is doing the will of Yah; Love adheres to the lifestyle Yah accepts and is empathetic to others to point that one cares for the well being of others as they would care for themselves.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Psalm 126, "When [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]יהוה [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]turns back the captivity of Tsiyon, We shall be like dreamers."2, "Then our mouth shall be filled with laughter, And our tongue with singing, Then shall they say among the nations, “[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]יהוה [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]has done great deeds for them.”"3, "[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]יהוה [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]shall do great deeds for us, We shall be glad."4, "Turn back our captivity, O [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]יהוה[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif], Like the streams in the South."5, "Those sowing in tears, shall reap with songs of joy."6, "He who goes on and weeps, Bearing seed for sowing, Shall indeed come in with rejoicing, Bearing his sheaves."[/FONT]

Apr 15, 2017
1Jn 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
1Jn 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
One must care for people to care for people. We have to wish them goodness and not just do good for them.

Like how a husband is commanded to love his wife, even if he doesn't like her at the time his job is do good unto her, to build her up because he wants that for her and that is the moral law he is commanded to follow.