To Jesus Culture, or not to Jesus Culture. That is the...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

38miles

This is a question I would like some feedback about. Please?

Five years ago I was listening to Jesus Culture a bit. I definitely enjoyed their live worship stuff. Then like three years ago I was looking up Jesus Culture, saw where they were from the Bill Johnson camp, and nixed them that day. Seriously, haven't listened to Jesus Culture in three years.

Last night I woke in the middle of the night and just felt an awesome presence of the Holy Spirit. Like, numb, floating, taken away. Yay! I fell back asleep. When I woke for work I had this song in my head and I was singing it aloud. "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. Lift your eyes to heaven, there is freedom Freedom reign in this place." and so on. And I knew the song, but couldn't place who it was from or why I was singing it. I hadn't heard it in church or anything, I know that for sure.

So as I was getting ready for work I punched in the lyrics and the song is a Jesus Culture song 'Freedom Reigns'. So I'm like, uh oh. So I listened to it via Youtube and it was, needless to say, a pretty awesome morning and day and now evening. Like massive. I witnessed to a number of people at work, talked about biblical manhood with three different individuals, and…it was great.

So…I guess I felt convicted not to listen to Jesus Culture because they are an arm of what I consider to be false teaching. And I was fine with that, regardless of how much I liked their music. That being said, to wake with this song in my heart, especially after a real peace from God's spirit...was I too sensitive to connect the music with the teachers? Am I pointlessly not listening to Jesus Culture?

I won't post the song because I am not yet sure how I feel about it all. I certainly don't want to broadcast something I don't partake in at the moment.

myfriendtiny

Jan 19, 2014
I like Jesus Culture. They are part of the Ibethel team. If you haven't looked up Ibethel I highly recommend them.
They are amazing.

38miles

I like Jesus Culture. They are part of the Ibethel team. If you haven't looked up Ibethel I highly recommend them.
They are amazing.
I stopped listening to Bethel when I stopped listening to Jesus Culture. I liked Bethel a lot. Are you advising me to lift my ban on listening to Jesus Culture?

myfriendtiny

Jan 19, 2014
Well... that is totally your choice I am not going to make you do anything that you do not feel right about doing.
I am still recommending Jesus Culture because of the strong in Christ message they send .

inge

Jun 23, 2012
Have you asked God what you should do?

I never did listen to it but came to know about Jesus Culture a week ago after someone posted a warning on Facebook. Music speaks to me a lot. It is even possible that some words of a non-believers song speak to me. And that I feel like God wants to say something to me. In your case, the words are maybe more important than the band. But does that mean you need to listen to all Jesus Culture... If I were you I would talk about it with God.

M

meggars

Music is music.....its just some notes and some words. If you disagree with the words in the song, don't listen to it. i personally, however, wouldn't toss the baby out with the bathwater just because the musicians delivering that music might be fans of bill johnson. Also, if you have concerns about what they might be writing into their lyrics, as people in the bill johnson "camp", keep in mind that a bunch of the songs on their albums aren't even theirs...such as the one you mentioned, Freedom Reigns, which was written and originally recorded by Michael Larson way back in 1998...would you then throw out every song they've ever covered? Say you're ok with listening to the original artist singing those words, but not this other band that might believe things you don't?

it's up to you, really. Personally, i'm not a fan of Bill Johnson or just about anybody else in the "Charismatic" category... but i still use some Jesus Culture songs when i'm leading worship at youth or on sundays

Sep 10, 2013
Read the thread "Jesus Culture: a call for discernment, are you sure it`s for Jesus?".
Maybe it will help answer your dilemma.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
you know the big concern i always see with jesus culture is the doctrine their church preaches. its never anything to do with the music. So one band singing the song is just as good as any other. I say go for it.

M

meggars

ooh ooh...analogy time. It's kind of like....if someone were to walk up to you and give you a weather report...and you were to look around and see that their weather report was in line with what the actual weather is....would you shun that report despite being able to look around and see that it's true just because you know that the person who gave it to you has associated with someone who gives false weather reports?

38miles

ooh ooh...analogy time. It's kind of like....if someone were to walk up to you and give you a weather report...and you were to look around and see that their weather report was in line with what the actual weather is....would you shun that report despite being able to look around and see that it's true just because you know that the person who gave it to you has associated with someone who gives false weather reports?
This would entirely depend on whether I am more interested in weather inside, or outside. For example, if you hand me a weather report that shows clouds raining down gold dust? Ummmm..I may pass on that. Feathers, the raining down of feathers? Well… How about diamonds? No my wife would like that weather report, but… All for fun, eh?

A day has passed and I've reckoned with the realization that I don't have a desire to listen to Jesus Culture, and for whatever reason I praise God for that. So I'm back to where I was! And I don't think there is anything wrong with listening to them if people do. Well...

myfriendtiny

Jan 19, 2014
I do agree . I listen to certain song that they sing and i like Jesus Culture. But ppl have their own oppion.....

K

kacee

Have you asked God what you should do?

I never did listen to it but came to know about Jesus Culture a week ago after someone posted a warning on Facebook. Music speaks to me a lot. It is even possible that some words of a non-believers song speak to me. And that I feel like God wants to say something to me. In your case, the words are maybe more important than the band. But does that mean you need to listen to all Jesus Culture... If I were you I would talk about it with God.

Am very emotional and i pray i dont have the chance of breaking any ones heart, song really plays a big roll in me too both gospel and r and b, i chose which word i take in or not. for the christian messages i try as much as to take everything inside for a possitive impact in me. everyday i talk to God to give all christian one heart to share the love he preach about in 1 john
2:7,8,9,10. Am judging no one but i want to share this love no matter the church you come from. thanks and remain blessed.

May 3, 2013
This last week I youtube one of their videos (and downloaded that song by using atubecatcher, as mp3). I felt a gret joy, I don´t care what they do behind the stage (that´s not my business: They´re as free as I am).

But, the moment I heard that thin woman, my eyes went like this: :rolleyes:

The song I heard is this:

You won´t relent :)