Tongues and interpretation of tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Samaritaan

Today i hear someone speaking in tongues and giving the interpretation thereof. He said, if thou God was speaking: worship me, lift your hands and praise Me. Does God speak like that? Will He ask man to worship Him? I know that we need God and that He does not need us. I also don't find any related scripture where God asked anyone to worship Him, althou we know it is our desire and wil to worship Him. Maybe someone can correct me.

7seasrekeyed

so is this about tongues or about worshiping God?

your title seems to indicated you want to discuss tongues and interpreting tongues

there is plenty of scripture in the Bible about worshiping God

you can not have looked very hard if you say there is none

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
There are numerous threads on the subject of tongues/glosolalia here from various viewpoints. Try a search and read through some of the more recent ones - it may answer some of your questions.

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017

If you are asking I am going to say you have discerned that it did not line up with Scripture. That tells me that your discerned that it was not Biblical. Here's the guideline I Corinthians 14:20-25

"
Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature.21 In the law it is written:
“With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; and yet, for all that, they will not hear Me,” says the Lord.

Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind?24 But if all prophesy, and; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you."an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all.25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.

What I am saying if you are asking it is not of the Lord, you have discerned that. When tonuges are interpreted they reveal the heart of unbleievers and they will worship God. Believers do not need to be told to worship the Lord.

S

Samaritaan

Johnny you are right, believers do not need to be told to worship God. I went through the entire bible and could not find one act of God asking anyone to worship Him. Neither did i find anything in the new testament where Jesus asked someone to worship Him. I don't think this prophecy is from God.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
We are to worship GOD in Spirit and Truth.

John 4

20Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. 21Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. 25The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. 26Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Now where tongues is concerned I thought one should stand by and interpret.. it is a sign to unbelievers?

Dec 12, 2013
Zungen sind so missverstanden, falsch angewendet und führen zu Verwirrung und Irrtum. Wir haben heute keinen Gebrauch für sie

S

Samaritaan

Yes you are right

S

Samaritaan

It is about interpreting. I think interpreting or prophecy is the same. It is all about what God is saying to the church. My concern is the falsness of the speaker to tell us that God wants worship.

S

Samaritaan

Now where tongues is concerned I thought one should stand by and interpret.. it is a sign to unbelievers?
This is what the bible tells us but this person interprets his own and i don't think it's wrong.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Zungen sind so missverstanden, falsch angewendet und führen zu Verwirrung und Irrtum.
That's true.

Wir haben heute keinen Gebrauch für sie
That's not.

It's not right that simply because something is misunderstood and misused to declare that we have no use for it today.

J

jaybird88

Zungen sind so missverstanden, falsch angewendet und führen zu Verwirrung und Irrtum. Wir haben heute keinen Gebrauch für sie
vaas ist loose DC! i thnk you have sauerkraut in your lederhosen. lol

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Today i hear someone speaking in tongues and giving the interpretation thereof. He said, if thou God was speaking: worship me, lift your hands and praise Me.
That is indeed a strange sentence construction.
Does God speak like that?
No
Will He ask man to worship Him?
Yes. Study the Psalms.

But since you have started this thread specifically on tongues, we should note:

1. Tongues are specific foreign languages which were spoken supernaturally.
2. Tongues were a sign to unbelieving Jews that God was at work and the Gospel was from God.
3. All Christians would not speak in tongues, neither would all Christians interpret them.
4. Tongues would cease, and cease they did after the Bible was completed. Modern tongues are something else.
5. Tongues would not edify others, only the speaker (and this was not a commendation).
6. The ones prophesying were greater than the tongues speakers.
7. Christians were not to seek speaking in tongues, but rather gifts which would edify the church.
8. Praying in tongues was unprofitable, but praying in understandable language was profitable.
9. Five intelligible words were better than 10,000 spoken in tongues.
10. If the whole church would speak in tongues, a visitor would call them mad.
11. Speaking in tongues was to be limited to 2 or 3, provided there were interpreters.
12. Women were forbidden to speak in tongues within the church.

You will find all of this in Acts 2 and 1 Cor 12-14.

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
That is indeed a strange sentence construction.

No

Yes. Study the Psalms.

But since you have started this thread specifically on tongues, we should note:

1. Tongues are specific foreign languages which were spoken supernaturally.
2. Tongues were a sign to unbelieving Jews that God was at work and the Gospel was from God.
3. All Christians would not speak in tongues, neither would all Christians interpret them.
4. Tongues would cease, and cease they did after the Bible was completed. Modern tongues are something else.
5. Tongues would not edify others, only the speaker (and this was not a commendation).
6. The ones prophesying were greater than the tongues speakers.
7. Christians were not to seek speaking in tongues, but rather gifts which would edify the church.
8. Praying in tongues was unprofitable, but praying in understandable language was profitable.
9. Five intelligible words were better than 10,000 spoken in tongues.
10. If the whole church would speak in tongues, a visitor would call them mad.
11. Speaking in tongues was to be limited to 2 or 3, provided there were interpreters.
12. Women were forbidden to speak in tongues within the church.

You will find all of this in Acts 2 and 1 Cor 12-14.
There is absolutely no Scriptural basis for this statement: 4. Tongues would cease,

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
There is absolutely no Scriptural basis for this statement: 4. Tongues would cease,
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (1 Cor 13:8).

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (1 Cor 13:8).
Except it hasn't happened yet...
Try reading on...

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Except it hasn't happened yet...Try reading on...
Those who practice modern "tongues" will generally admit that what they are speaking are not GENUINE FOREIGN LANGUAGES spoken supernaturally. They are simply "babbling" in glossolalia. And they have started calling this "prayer language"!

But since they do not speak genuine languages, it should be clear that genuine tongues have CEASED, and counterfeit tongues are in evidence.

"Tongue" is simply an archaic word for language. The KJV translators had the option of translating glossa or glosse or glossais as "language" consistently, but chose to use "tongue" and occasionally "language". But these are actual languages, and we see 15 languages mentioned in Acts 2.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

[1] Parthians, and [2] Medes, and [3] Elamites, and [4] the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in [5] Judaea, and [6]Cappadocia, in [7] Pontus, and [8] Asia,

[9] Phrygia, and [10] Pamphylia, in [11] Egypt, and in the parts of [12] Libya about Cyrene, and [13] strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

[14] Cretes and [15] Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

Last edited:

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
Those who practice modern "tongues" will generally admit that what they are speaking are not GENUINE FOREIGN LANGUAGES spoken supernaturally. They are simply "babbling" in glossolalia. And they have started calling this "prayer language"!

But since they do not speak genuine languages, it should be clear that genuine tongues have CEASED, and counterfeit tongues are in evidence.

"Tongue" is simply an archaic word for language. The KJV translators had the option of translating glossa or glosse or glossais as "language" consistently, but chose to use "tongue" and occasionally "language". But these are actual languages, and we see 15 languages mentioned in Acts 2.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

[1] Parthians, and [2] Medes, and [3] Elamites, and [4] the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in [5] Judaea, and [6]Cappadocia, in [7] Pontus, and [8] Asia,

[9] Phrygia, and [10] Pamphylia, in [11] Egypt, and in the parts of [12] Libya about Cyrene, and [13] strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

[14] Cretes and [15] Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
Your assertions about so-called genuine languages are again unprovable through Scripture.
Even Acts 2:15 which I am very well acquainted with does not prove the assertion that tongues ALWAYS have to be in an known language - especially when taken in conjunction with all the other references to tongues in the NT.

Furthermore, this is just a diversion - 1 Cor 13:8 most certainly cannot be used as any sort of proof for a cessationist doctrine - it just does not stand any kind of scrutiny.