Torah Study

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
on the other hand...maybe we shouldn't just assume that dirt has to be lowly...after all gardeners love good soil...

so maybe i should not be too quick to call something useless that God has made a use for...we are made of something that derives usefulness from God's wise design...
I'm not sure what the actual word is in the passage, but I see a difference between dirt and dust. As you mentioned, dirt is useful and is crucial to growth. But dust strikes me as something that is the remnant of what is old and useless.

JimmieD

Apr 11, 2014
I am presuming that by SP you are referring to the Syriac Peshitta.
No, Samaritan Pentateuch.

The Mesoretic text compiled between the 7th and 10th centuries A.D. differs from the Torah Scrolls only in the addition of vowel pointings and chapter divisions; and is otherwise unchanged from the 6th century B.C. text..
That is demonstrably not correct.

Last edited:
B

bondservant

Come on saints lets stop the poking at one another and let the holy spirit have his way. This study is a blessing and let us pray to keep it that way. It reminds me of the story of Jesus and nicodemus. Nicodemus being no stranger to scripture asked jesus if a man can enter his mother's womb twice. Can you imagine the look on Jesus's face wwwhhhaaaat but instead he told him the truth. Let the holy spirit have his way.....just saying

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Although I love the Hebrew, the Septuagint is without a doubt, the spiritual translation used by Christ and the Apostles.
I need no further proof of it's authenticity beyond the quotes used of it, by the Authorities of the Faith,
which are Jesus Christ, and His Apostles.

If the Masoretic had the text right, on a spiritual level, then the quotes of these individuals would not contradict the Masoretic rendering of the verses quoted.

The Jews are said in the Word to be the keepers of the Scriptures,
which is the rationale behind the Masoretic being used for translation,
but the Jews are the ones who translated the Septuagint.
Case closed.

The Masoretic is not the same as the Septuagint, and does not match ALL the early scrolls.
My faith is in the words of Christ, not the DSS.
The Mesoretic text could not have been cited in the first century because it did not exist until the seventh to tenth centuries. However the Hebrew which appears in the Mesoretic text is identical to the Hebrew in the Torah Scrolls from which Jesus read.

the fact that some of the apostles and other NT writers quoted the LXX was the same reason that the NT was written in Greek; namely, to reach the largest number of people. there is no suggestion of Spiritual superiority.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Genesis 2:5-25

[SUP]
5 [/SUP]Now no shrub of the field was yet in the earth, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the Lord God had not sent rain upon the earth, and there was no man to [SUP][c][/SUP]cultivate the ground. [SUP]6 [/SUP]But a [SUP][d][/SUP]mist used to rise from the earth and water the whole [SUP][e][/SUP]surface of the ground. [SUP]7 [/SUP]Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living [SUP][f][/SUP]being. [SUP]8 [/SUP]The Lord God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed. [SUP]9 [/SUP]Out of the ground the Lord God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

[SUP]10 [/SUP]Now a river [SUP][g][/SUP]flowed out of Eden to water the garden; and from there it divided and became four [SUP][h][/SUP]rivers. [SUP]11 [/SUP]The name of the first is Pishon; it [SUP][/SUP]flows around the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold. [SUP]12 [/SUP]The gold of that land is good; the bdellium and the onyx stone are there. [SUP]13 [/SUP]The name of the second river is Gihon; it [SUP][j][/SUP]flows around the whole land of Cush. [SUP]14 [/SUP]The name of the third river is [SUP][k][/SUP]Tigris; it [SUP][l][/SUP]flows east of Assyria. And the fourth river is the [SUP][m][/SUP]Euphrates.

[SUP]15 [/SUP]Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it. [SUP]16 [/SUP]The Lord God commanded the man, saying, “From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; [SUP]17 [/SUP]but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not [SUP][n][/SUP]eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”

[SUP]18 [/SUP]Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper [SUP][o][/SUP]suitable for him.” [SUP]19 [/SUP]Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the [SUP][p][/SUP]sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name. [SUP]20 [/SUP]The man gave names to all the cattle, and to the birds of the [SUP][q][/SUP]sky, and to every beast of the field, but for [SUP][r][/SUP]Adam there was not found a helper [SUP][/SUP]suitable for him. [SUP]21 [/SUP]So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place. [SUP]22 [/SUP]The Lord God [SUP][t][/SUP]fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. [SUP]23 [/SUP]The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones,
And flesh of my flesh;
[SUP][/SUP]She shall be called [SUP][v][/SUP]Woman,
Because [SUP][w][/SUP]she was taken out of [SUP][x][/SUP]Man.”

[SUP]24 [/SUP]For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh. [SUP]25 [/SUP]And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

Footnotes:

c. Genesis 2:5 Lit work, serve
d. Genesis 2:6 Or flow
e. Genesis 2:6 Lit face of
f. Genesis 2:7 Lit soul
g. Genesis 2:10 Lit was going out
h. Genesis 2:10 Lit heads
i. Genesis 2:11 Lit surrounds
j. Genesis 2:13 Lit is the one surrounding
k. Genesis 2:14 Heb Hiddekel
l. Genesis 2:14 Lit is the one going
m. Genesis 2:14 Heb Perath
n. Genesis 2:17 Lit eat from it
o. Genesis 2:18 Lit corresponding to
p. Genesis 2:19 Lit heavens
q. Genesis 2:20 Lit heavens
r. Genesis 2:20 Or man
s. Genesis 2:20 Lit corresponding to
t. Genesis 2:22 Lit built
u. Genesis 2:23 Lit This one
v. Genesis 2:23 Heb Ishshah
w. Genesis 2:23 Lit This one
x. Genesis 2:23 Heb Ish

You may find this excerpt from my commentary of interest:

10 And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted,
and became into four heads.
In 17th century English, head in this context signifies direction (heading). The NIV
translates this as headwaters.
11 The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of
Havilah, where there is gold;
Pison: There is no certainty or agreement among scholars as to the location of this river.
Havilah: There is considerable controversy over the location of Havilah, but many
respected scholars believe it is the Northwest Arabian Peninsula.

12 And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.
Bdellium: There is a great deal of controversy about the translation of this word. The
only other Bible reference to it is Nu 11:7 where mana is described as like bdellium in
color and like coriander seed. The Septuagint translates it a precious stone; the Vulgate
translates it a transparent aromatic gum; and most rabbinic scholars and Gesenius
believe it to be pearl. {Return to: Eze 27:22 }
13 And the name of the second river is Gihon: the same is it that compasseth the
whole land of Ethiopia.
The Hebrew word ‘sobayb’ translated ‘compasseth’ can mean either surround or
traverse or border.
Gihon: No river surrounds Ethiopia the one which traverses it is the Nile.
14 And the name of the third river is Hiddekel: that is it which goeth toward the east of
Assyria. And the fourth river is Euphrates.
Hiddekel is the Tigris.
This is of course pure speculation; but it is informed speculation.
In order to traverse Ethiopia, Gihon must be the Nile. To encompass Arabia it is
reasonable that Pison refers to the antediluvian (before the flood) Red Sea.
There is sound scholarship for calling the Tigris ‘Hiddekel’ and the Euphrates is still in
place. If before the flood both the Tigris and Euphrates extended around the south of the
Arabian Peninsula; then Aden could have been the site of Eden.

map-Gen-2-14.jpg
Note: This map was found among some loose papers and adapted to my
purposes. Source would be cited if known.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
No, Samaritan Pentateuch.

That is demonstrably not correct.

Thank you for calling the Samaritan Pentateuch to my attention. It appears to date from the time of the Maccabees, ca. 170 B.C.; and seems to be a genuine Hebrew variant. I agree with the main body of scholarship that the Jewish text, from which the Mesoretic text is derived, is the superior text.

JimmieD

Apr 11, 2014
Please demonstrate
For one, we know of at least three Hebrew editions that don't match the MT. Those would be the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Samaritan Pentateuch, and the Hebrew version that the translators of the Septuagint used.

One example of the difference that is easily identifiable is something like the book, the entire book, of Jeremiah (this also goes for Ezekiel, . The version found in the DSS and LXX are significantly shorter than the one found in the MT. Not only are they shorter, but the chapters are in a different arrangement (also goes for Ezekiel). Another easy example would be the chronologies in Genesis, which are different across the LXX, SP, and MT. In many cases, the LXX, DSS, and SP will agree with each other where the MT will differ beyond just vowel points and chapter divisions (eg, Deut 8, 32).

A more detailed paper on the large scale differences in OT manuscripts:
http://www.emanueltov.info/docs/papers/11.large-scalediffs.2008.pdf

Emanuel Tov

JimmieD

Apr 11, 2014
Thank you for calling the Samaritan Pentateuch to my attention. It appears to date from the time of the Maccabees, ca. 170 B.C.; and seems to be a genuine Hebrew variant. I agree with the main body of scholarship that the Jewish text, from which the Mesoretic text is derived, is the superior text.
The problem is that's not exactly what the main body of scholarship says. The main body of scholarship says that there were different Hebrew editions in existence during the 2nd Temple period which didn't necessarily match up perfectly with each other. When there are differences between the manuscripts, sometimes the MT is superior/preferred reading but sometimes it isn't. Scholars really take it on a case-by-case basis and don't prefer, wholesale, one version over another.

JimmieD

Apr 11, 2014
Thank you for calling the Samaritan Pentateuch to my attention.
No problem. Beyond a circle of nerds and Samaritans, it's not well known (really, I don't think it's known well outside of academia and Nablus, Israel). THere is an English translation of it if you're into this kind of thing though:

The Israelite Samaritan Version of the Torah: First English Translation Compared with the Masoretic Version: Benyamim Tsedaka, Sharon Sullivan, James H. Charlesworth, Emanuel Tov: 9780802865199: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:
R

RachelBibleStudent

ok not to silence anyone...but could the textual discussion maybe take place in a new thread? it wasn't exactly the intent of this thread to get into those particulars...

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
maybe another good lesson to learn is that we should not place things in hierarchies of value based on the way the world views things...dust was suitable enough for God to use it for his purpose!
Especially when we are able to grasp the fact that there is an infinite God who has a perfect and holy perspective of all things, and we are completely finite and carnal in our understanding of all things.

What we understand to be the relationship between dust and man comes from a very limited understanding of the importance of God choosing to have man created from the dust.

(This isn't too terribly profound or interesting of a comment, but I wanted to get the thread back on track and put it up on the front page so people can see it again)

B

bondservant

There is a interesting teaching on the d.o.d.station about the soil or dust of the earth and how without it the would be on life or plants and animals. How we take for granted what we walk on as just dirt but by all intentional purposes it is the most valuable assets on the planet. It may be a stretch here but I look at it as us being a witness for Christ then once we are removed "rapture" the world goes into chaos. Just thinking......

B

bondservant

Sorry Rachael please continue

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
Rachel, are you ready to move on to the next passages?

R

RachelBibleStudent

Genesis 3

Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from [SUP][a][/SUP]any tree of the garden’?” [SUP]2 [/SUP]The woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat; [SUP]3 [/SUP]but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’” [SUP]4 [/SUP]The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! [SUP]5 [/SUP]For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” [SUP]6 [/SUP]When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate. [SUP]7 [/SUP]Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves [SUP][/SUP]loin coverings.

[SUP]8 [/SUP]They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the [SUP][c][/SUP]cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. [SUP]9 [/SUP]Then the Lord God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” [SUP]10 [/SUP]He said, “I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself.” [SUP]11 [/SUP]And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” [SUP]12 [/SUP]The man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.” [SUP]13 [/SUP]Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” And the woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.” [SUP]14 [/SUP]The Lord God said to the serpent,

“Because you have done this,
Cursed are you more than all cattle,
And more than every beast of the field;
On your belly you will go,
And dust you will eat
All the days of your life;
[SUP]15 [/SUP]And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her seed;
He shall [SUP][d][/SUP]bruise you on the head,
And you shall bruise him on the heel.”
[SUP]16 [/SUP]To the woman He said,
“I will greatly multiply
Your pain [SUP][e][/SUP]in childbirth,
In pain you will bring forth children;
Yet your desire will be for your husband,
And he will rule over you.”

[SUP]17 [/SUP]Then to Adam He said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat from it’;

Cursed is the ground because of you;
In [SUP][f][/SUP]toil you will eat of it
All the days of your life.
[SUP]18 [/SUP]“Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you;
And you will eat the [SUP][g][/SUP]plants of the field;
[SUP]19 [/SUP]By the sweat of your face
You will eat bread,
Till you return to the ground,
Because from it you were taken;
For you are dust,
And to dust you shall return.”

[SUP]20 [/SUP]Now the man called his wife’s name [SUP][h][/SUP]Eve, because she was the mother of all the living. [SUP]21 [/SUP]The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.

[SUP]22 [/SUP]Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”— [SUP]23 [/SUP]therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken. [SUP]24 [/SUP]So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

Footnotes:

a. Genesis 3:1 Or every
b. Genesis 3:7 Or girdles
c. Genesis 3:8 Lit wind, breeze
d. Genesis 3:15 Or crush
e. Genesis 3:16 Lit and your pregnancy, conception
f. Genesis 3:17 Or sorrow
g. Genesis 3:18 Lit plant
h. Genesis 3:20 I.e. living; or life

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
What grieves me about this passage is that Adam and Eve were allowed to eat from the Tree of Life; there was no prohibition about that. Instead, they chose knowledge. They didn't choose life. God allowed them, even wanted them to choose life. The 1 thing He said not to do, they did. How incredibly frustrating!

Then I realize I do the same thing too.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015

Genesis 3

Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from [SUP][a][/SUP]any tree of the garden’?”

[SUP]2 [/SUP]The woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat;

[SUP]3 [/SUP]but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’”

[SUP]4 [/SUP]The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die!

[SUP]5 [/SUP]For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

[SUP]6 [/SUP]When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.

[SUP]7 [/SUP]Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves [SUP][/SUP]loin coverings.

[SUP]8 [/SUP]They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the [SUP][c][/SUP]cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.

[SUP]9 [/SUP]Then the Lord God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” [SUP]

10 [/SUP]He said, “I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself.” [SUP]

11 [/SUP]And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” [SUP]

12 [/SUP]The man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.”

[SUP]13 [/SUP]Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” And the woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

[SUP]14 [/SUP]The Lord God said to the serpent,

And dust you will eat
[SUP]
15 [/SUP]And I will put enmity
[SUP]
16 [/SUP]To the woman He said,
“I will greatly multiply

[SUP]17 [/SUP]Then to Adam He said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat from it’;

[SUP]
18 [/SUP]“Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you;

You will eat bread,
For you are dust,

[SUP]20 [/SUP]Now the man called his wife’s name [SUP][h][/SUP]Eve, because she was the mother of all the living.

[SUP]21 [/SUP]The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.

[SUP]22 [/SUP]Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”—

[SUP]23 [/SUP]therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken.

[SUP]24 [/SUP]So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

Footnotes:

[SUP]3 [/SUP]but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’”
In the Hebrew, there is much more going on here than appears in the English translation.

In Gen 2:17 God said in the 'Qal' (active) voice:Ge 2:17
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. מ֥וֺת תָּמֽוּת
KJV; BUT,

in Gen 3:3 , in addition to the obvious addition of the restriction on touching the fruit, which God did NOT include;
Eve misstates God's words in the 'Niphal' (passive) voice
"or you will be killed פֶּן־ תְּמֻתֽוּן

thisis a typical form of carelessness in not correctly rendering tense and voice that pervades all translations, to some extent.

Both Strong and Brown Driver Briggs agree that ‘t’moot’ means kill in this form (no vahv immediately after the mem). This is an imperfect niphal roughly equivalent to our future passive form. This is a very subtle challenge to God’s Word. God said nothing about killing them and in fact they died a natural death. They could have had much more had they obeyed. They forfeit access to the tree of (eternal) life and close fellowship with God.

In Gen 3:4, [SUP]4 [/SUP]The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die!" 'You shall surely not be killed' לֹאֽ־ מוֺת תְּמֻתֽוּן literally 'NOT DEATH YE SHALL BE KILLED'

Satan is NOT guilty of the outright lie most commentators charge him with. This is much more insidious. Satan truthfully denies Eve's misstatement of God's Word; without actually denying God's Word itself.

One of the many lessons here is to be careful not to misstate God's word.

Last edited:

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Originally Posted by RachelBibleStudent

Genesis 3

Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from [SUP][a][/SUP]any tree of the garden’?”

[SUP]2 [/SUP]The woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat;

[SUP]5 [/SUP]For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

[SUP]6 [/SUP]When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.

[SUP]7 [/SUP]Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves [SUP][/SUP]loin coverings.

[SUP]8 [/SUP]They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the [SUP][c][/SUP]cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.

[SUP]9 [/SUP]Then the Lord God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” [SUP]

10 [/SUP]He said, “I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself.” [SUP]

11 [/SUP]And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” [SUP]

12 [/SUP]The man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.”

[SUP]13 [/SUP]Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” And the woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

And dust you will eat
[SUP]
[SUP]
“I will greatly multiply

[SUP]

You will eat bread,
For you are dust,

[SUP]20 [/SUP]Now the man called his wife’s name [SUP][h][/SUP]Eve, because she was the mother of all the living.

[SUP]21 [/SUP]The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.

[SUP]22 [/SUP]Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”—

[SUP]23 [/SUP]therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken.

[SUP]24 [/SUP]So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

Footnotes:

On your belly you will go, [you will continue to go] The Hebrew imperfect is NOT an exact equivalent of the English future. The imperfect is more concerned with continuity than with time.

And dust you will eat [you will continue to eat]

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Originally Posted by RachelBibleStudent

Genesis 3

And dust you will eat
[SUP]

[SUP]
“I will greatly multiply

[SUP]

You will eat bread,
For you are dust,

Footnotes:

[SUP]15 [/SUP]And I will put enmity

While certainly not understood fully at the time it was spoken, we see here not only the first hint of God's plan of redemption for mankind; but a clear statement that the Redeemer would be born from a woman without a male human parent.